Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Iizuka Team is obviously invested in seperating Sonic from humanity outside of Eggman. What with how GUN has been effectively written out of the series. We're obviously going to see another Sonic X where Sonic and his posse get transported to Earth with Eggman being an Earthling who found his way to Furry World.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Almar said:

Iizuka Team is obviously invested in seperating Sonic from humanity outside of Eggman. What with how GUN has been effectively written out of the series. We're obviously going to see another Sonic X we're Sonic and his posse get transported to Earth with Eggman being an Earthling who found his way to Furry World.

This would be an interesting route to go for Eggman. If he's not from Sonic's world as well, maybe he's a genius egotistical Earth scientist who specializes in robotics. Maybe he's the world's leading robot manufacturer and once Sonic comes to Earth - he becomes obsesed with him, finds a way to Mobius/Sonic'a dimension and he gets his hands on Mobian technology and starts creating the badniks. The rest of what happens is history 

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

This would be an interesting route to go for Eggman. If he's not from Sonic's world as well, maybe he's a genius egotistical Earth scientist who specializes in robotics. Maybe he's the world's leading robot manufacturer and once Sonic comes to Earth - he becomes obsesed with him, finds a way to Mobius/Sonic'a dimension and he gets his hands on Mobian technology and starts creating the badniks. The rest of what happens is history 

Heh, what if this is supposed to be a Sonic origin story or something

Now, that we got our first person casted for the movie. I wonder who will they casted next? Anyway, I'm wonder if that James dude , or Jack, or the other guys will be playing the main human lead. I guess we will have to wait and see about this. 

Whipped this up on a photo editing app. This is a rough idea of what I'm expecting Sonic to look like. Realistic fur, slightly toned down body proportions and more futuristic looking tech on him. Like what he got in Adventure 1 and 2 (Bounce Bracelet, soap shoes etc)  which in the movie universe, could have been built by Tails. 

938uPni.jpg

Click on the image for the full size pic in greater detail 

• My Emmerdoods 2

Teddy! From Westworld. I'm just glad we avoided Jack Black or Owen Wilson. I know it's a comedy film but these comical actors are too much of a gag IMO, and too old and grumpy I think. Marsden is a great choice. Not bad, could have been a LOT worse.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

Whipped this up on a photo editing app. This is a rough idea of what I'm expecting Sonic to look like. Realistic fur, slightly toned down body proportions and more futuristic looking tech on him. Like what he got in Adventure 1 and 2 (Bounce Bracelet, soap shoes etc)  which in the movie universe, could have been built by Tails. 

938uPni.jpg

Click on the image for the full size pic in greater detail 

While I’ll praise the lighting and detail in terms of effects and fur, I have to be frank this looks hideous for a character design perspective. His head looks like it’s balancing on the body like some kind of ball, the quills look off, and the body looks weirdly elongated.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

While I’ll praise the lighting and detail in terms of effects and fur, I have to be frank this looks hideous for a character design perspective. His head looks like it’s balancing on the body like some kind of ball, the quills look off, and the body looks weirdly elongated.

To be fair, that's what Sonic's head looks like in the games. He has never been rendered or drawn with a neck- But I understand what you mean. Here's an updated version of the first one that tries to make the head more natural while still keeping the classic shape. Also fixed the streched out body, quills and eyes mdMlris.jpg

I see the design ending up along these lines. Essentially the traditional design realized in a more realistic setting. An update or "face-lift" if you will rather than a radical redesign like Bayformers or TMNT. 

With respect for your obvious ability, I've yet to see an example of a more "realistic" Sonic which didn't look like a cautionary example of why that design direction is such a bad idea.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, FFWF said:

With respect for your obvious ability, I've yet to see an example of a more "realistic" Sonic which didn't look like a cautionary example of why that design direction is such a bad idea.

I don't see how the one above looks bad.  I used a base image of game Sonic to make that manip, it's literally Sonic from the games just flitered through real life. Looking more like something that could exist in our world. There are worse alternatives for a "realistic Sonic" like this one:

3OpSRU7.png

Now THAT looks like a cautionary tale. That looks like something Michael Bay would come up with.

There is no way around this issue - Sonic can't look like a literal cartoon character unless the movie is a meta comedy that's a parody of the franchise. Even Van admitted that some sort of design update would happen in the movie.

• My Emmerdoods 1

Another version. This one a bit more expressive in the face. Sonic's teeth are based on what we saw in Unleashed right before the Werehog transformation. Also added the flame ring from A2 and a backpack for Sonic. Earpiece  is so he can talk to Tails and/or Tom. Which will definitely come in hand during the climax 

Ho6sWeB.png

• My Emmerdoods 1

1787055583_Sonicjuy(1).thumb.jpg.6ac5f309c914e82b47ba08cd5597742f.jpg
I think this 06 Concept art by Blur Studios (Which Tim Miller is a part of.) is the most likely idea on what Sonic could look like in the movie, Basically his design straight from the games with some added fur to make him fit a bit better in the live action setting. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I think we should expect more casting announcements next month. We could get some news about the movie at E3. Who knows?

Anyway, just to let anyone know about this James dude, he also starred in Superman Returns.

latest?cb=20100805183607

Also, this is him in 2 Guns.

Image result for james marsden 2 guns

• Thumbs Up 1

@PeterPancake, I just wanted to bring to your attention about the only real flaw in your design

quilla.jpg

Porcupine_Hedgehog.jpg

and that is that you did not distinguish between Sonic's fur and his quills like in the case of the two pics above. If you're positive that they are going to go for a more realistic look then this distinction is likely to be addressed. Hedgehogs have fur and quills and Sonic is no exception. Otherwise, thanks for sharing your work, your modeling, texture, and lighting work are top notch.

On the topic of Tom the Cop, just why? I knew we were going to have an audience surrogate character from the moment we knew it was a live action/CGI mix put a cop is a role that is going to have an expectation to be part of the action attached to them. that means you will either disappoint your audience if he doesn't or detract from Sonic and the others if you do. Why not have a reporter who is trying to get a big scoop with Sonic as his topic as the audience surrogate? In that way Sonic is the focus period, and the general audience can learn about Sonic and his conflict with Eggman through the eyes of a reporter and the audience surrogate never risks taking away from Sonic because he is their focus as well.

Might be a bit unrelated about that Hop film, I realized that the girl in the movie played Penny from The Big Bang Theory.

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

@PeterPancake, I just wanted to bring to your attention about the only real flaw in your design

quilla.jpg

Porcupine_Hedgehog.jpg

and that is that you did not distinguish between Sonic's fur and his quills like in the case of the two pics above. If you're positive that they are going to go for a more realistic look then this distinction is likely to be addressed. Hedgehogs have fur and quills and Sonic is no exception. Otherwise, thanks for sharing your work, your modeling, texture, and lighting work are top notch.

On the topic of Tom the Cop, just why? I knew we were going to have an audience surrogate character from the moment we knew it was a live action/CGI mix put a cop is a role that is going to have an expectation to be part of the action attached to them. that means you will either disappoint your audience if he doesn't or detract from Sonic and the others if you do. Why not have a reporter who is trying to get a big scoop with Sonic as his topic as the audience surrogate? In that way Sonic is the focus period, and the general audience can learn about Sonic and his conflict with Eggman through the eyes of a reporter and the audience surrogate never risks taking away from Sonic because he is their focus as well.

Hmm, I see your point. Just tried to avoid the Eddie LeBron/Blue Core look but I see your point. I think Sonic having a proper mouth will be pretty important for the emotional scenes and anytime that he talks. 

2 hours ago, TB100 said:

1787055583_Sonicjuy(1).thumb.jpg.6ac5f309c914e82b47ba08cd5597742f.jpg
I think this 06 Concept art by Blur Studios (Which Tim Miller is a part of.) is the most likely idea on what Sonic could look like in the movie, Basically his design from the games with some added fur to make him fit a bit better in the live action setting. 

Yeah, that's basically what I made. Same exact idea except mines looks like it belongs in a movie and that one still looks very cartoony. The "fur" on him in that concept is minimal at best and doesn't look real enough and the model is still too low-res for a movie. But it has the right idea. 

I know some hate it but I'm quite happy with how my idea for the movie look turned out. It's pretty much exactly what I've been describing for months. A "translation" of the traditional design.

This movie is becoming everything i didnt want it to be. I was hoping they would just adapt the adventure games but looks like this will be a hop, alvin and the chipmunks or smurfs type movie. sonic will be transported to our world. eggman will be some huge scientist who runs a technology corporation called E.G.G who is under suspicion by cops. . sonic will be found by Tom and says he will help him crack the case he reluctantly takes him home.  Then he will try to hide sonic while walking in the street with loads of pop culture jokes and refrences. A scene will come where sonic saves tom and now they're friends. Right after that they  find eggman who captures sonic. Tom convinces the cops to go after eggman and save his friend in an emotional speech. they free sonic. sonic beats eggman, eggman arrested sonic goes back to his world. the end

I’m starting to get the impression the whole Tom the cop thing might be a hoax. 

Sonic J, here it is with more realistic/spikey quills. Tried to avoid the Blue Core look best I could Jlrj9kt.jpg

• My Emmerdoods 1

1 hour ago, A sonic fan said:

This movie is becoming everything i didnt want it to be. I was hoping they would just adapt the adventure games but looks like this will be a hop, alvin and the chipmunks or smurfs type movie. sonic will be transported to our world. eggman will be some huge scientist who runs a technology corporation called E.G.G who is under suspicion by cops. . sonic will be found by Tom and says he will help him crack the case he reluctantly takes him home.  Then he will try to hide sonic while walking in the street with loads of pop culture jokes and refrences. A scene will come where sonic saves tom and now they're friends. Right after that they  find eggman who captures sonic. Tom convinces the cops to go after eggman and save his friend in an emotional speech. they free sonic. sonic beats eggman, eggman arrested sonic goes back to his world. the end

This can't be the plot of the movie. Van (original writer) said it would be nothing like Smurfs or Alvin. Now unless Patrick Casey and that Cloverfield writer COMPLETELY rewrote the entire treatment for the movie - the general pitch will remain the same. Plus Paramount and Sega want a franchise out of Sonic. Paramount needs a new flagship franchise after Transformers 5 bombed so Sonic can't go home.

This is how I'm willing to bet the movie will go:

Movie begins with some kind of scene on Sonic's planet. Maybe a fight between Eggman (If he's from Sonic's world) or some kind of accident that causes Sonic, Tails, Amy and Knuckles etc to be transported to Earth. (During this scene many of Sonic's friends make cameo appearances in the background) Maybe each land in different parts of the world. We follow Sonic as he lands on Earth, starts running around and freaking out and he ends up in a High speed highway chase with the police "What the hell is that thing... It looks like a blue.. Hedgehog??"- They corner Sonic somehow and Tom the cop (one of the officers involved with the chase) calms him down and takes him in for questioning. "We're not going to hurt you" so Sonic explains to the Police that something happened on his planet that caused him to teleport to Earth and how he HAS to find "His friend Tails, to rebuild the transporter" and the Cops already in disbelief from what they're seeing laugh at him except Tom who quickly befriends Sonic. 

Word spreads that a real life "alien" is being held in Police Custody all over the Station Square  news channels. People on the Highway have caught smartphone footage of Sonic's chase with the police and this catches the attention of the world's leading robotics manufacturer Dr. Ivo Robotnik (Yes, the movie plays up the irony of his name for comedy) from Robotnik.Inc He's obviously unhinged and very egotistical. This man devotes all of his resources and time to figuring out what Sonic is and where he came from.. During the second act - Somehow, he finds a way to Sonic's world (Tails gets captured by him?) and he gets his hands on some Mobian technology. He combines Earth robotic technology with the alien technology & creates the Badniks which sets up the climax/third act of the movie. Eggman (Dubbed by Sonic as a joke poking fun at his his slighty overweight round egg-like body) broadcasts a message to the entire world (with the classic Eggman logo flashing on the screen) that he intends to rebuild the entire world, a better world free from corruption and greed, a world that he will control for the better- yadda,  yadda. He says that resisting would be futile and then proceeds to "Roboticize" a person on camera to show the world what will happen and he will start with Station Square. PANIC ensues after the broadcast. Tom at this point has helped Sonic find Tails and Amy (who was in Paris) cue a joke about there being "3 talking animals". Tails builds some sort of device (using Earth technology btw) that will help stop Eggman. Eggman launches a full-scale invasion on SS- Sonic and Tails fly in on the "Tornado" as they watch in horror as *hundreds of people are running through the streets of the city with a huge roboticizing machine chasing behind them which is turning hundreds of people into humanoid badniks. The final battle ensues in the city. Sonic, Tails and Amy battling Eggman's robots Avengers-style in the city. Amy using her pikko pikko hammer, Tails being sky support (ala Iron Man) shooting robots in the air with the Tornado and Sonic taking out loads of enemies with spin-dashes and speed punches. Eventually they make it to Eggman (while Tom and the police force do something to help but their guns are useless as the Badniks are too technologically advanced) Sonic fights Eggman one on one in the Death Egg Robot and turns into Super Sonic using the Chaos Emeralds. He beats Eggman, shuts down all of the robots and Robotnik is sent to a High-Security GUN Prison swearing revenge on Sonic "I'll get out. And when I do, I'll get you. It's not over, Sonic!" 

Final scene between Tom, Sonic, Tails and Amy. Tails theorizes that they could theoretically use the Chaos Emeralds to go home. But Sonic decides to stay. "To stick around on Earth for awhile, he likes this place" and Tom is very happy about this and Sonic hugs Tom for helping him. The end.

Mid credits scene is Knuckles waking up in Egypt and people being freaked out. A funny scene but setting up Knucks tor a bigger role in Sonic 2.

Post credits is some mysterious person sliding a paper document under the door of Eggman's Prison Cell. It says "Gerald Robotnik" and the camera pans down further to "Project Shadow; the Ultimate Lifeform" Eggman smiles. Cut to black.

So yeah, that's a rough idea of what I'm expecting or at least hoping for.

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Sonic J, here it is with more realistic/spikey quills. Tried to avoid the Blue Core look best I could Jlrj9kt.jpg

While you have quite a lot of obvious talent and I think the lighting and shading is excellent, no offence but this looks plain scary, and it's not your fault, it's just the sheer fact someone as stylized as Sonic really just looks horrible when brought into a totally realistic overhaul. Even humanoid characters in animation can look overly creepy in a realistic way: 

Even Sonic's expression, it looks like he's about to lunge at someone in a horror film as opposed to being a speedy cocky hero. If this is going to work at all, they need to seriously keep Sonic's style in tact or else he's just going to end up being far too creepy. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1