Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Continuations of Sonic the Comic, Adventures of Sonic, Sonic SatAM, Sonic Underground, and the OVA are probably going to remain in the domain of fans forever. The first one is the only one that has a chance of ever coming back, and even that is practically a snowball's chance in hell. But hey, fortunately, there are indeed continuations of several of these continuities - you have Sonic the Continuation and Sonic the Comic Online for the first and Sea3on for SatAM.

But any official movie based on anything besides the games or the new cartoon? Not going to happen. It's a miracle SEGA keeps Crush 40 around for its fans, but they haven't catered to the old cartoon crowd in a while.

It will either be based on Boom or be its own self-contained continuity inspired by the games, and I'm thinking the former.

With regards to what was said earlier, I think a list of domains Sony's registered in the past would be good indeed. It'd help us determine if these sorts of things go through. Given that SEGA's a third party IP and not one of Sony's own, they very well could run into issues there since SEGA is a master of shooting itself in the foot.

My only hope is that since SEGA was so happy to have Sonic be in Wreck-It Ralph they won't turn down an actual movie.

I'm guessing either a huge theatrical release related to Sonic Boom, or a spin off that's loosely based off the games but still is within its own continuity.

... With any luck, we won't be getting anything grimdark like 06. Though I doubt they'll go that route.

I'd love a Sonic the Movie on the big screen, i've always wanted one. I'd go see it for sure.

[i know about the other one] but I mean, like a official Big Screen Feature release and not one that's direct to video.

• 3 weeks later...

This question has been burning in my head for quite a while, but let's talk about voice casting in this film.

There's basically three options for the film's voice cast right now: 

A:Utilize the game series' cast, which seems like a likely option. Depending on how much Sega is working on this film, they may find it to cheaper to use Roger Craig Smith, Mike Pollock, Kate Higgins, and so on. Personally, I would like them to go down this route. Since a film is obviously story focused, the current voice cast would get enough material to shine and have a lot to work with for their characters. I mainly say this for Sonic characters that haven't been appearing in the games much but have some talented people voicing them, but it's still the route that should be taken IMO, as long as the voice direction behind it is really good.

B: For whatever reason, hire other veteran voice actors to take over in this film. Think of how TMNT did it: it was sort of a spiritual sequel to the original films, but they got an entirely different cast consisting of Veteran VA's like James Arnold Taylor and Nolan North. For this, I'm honestly mixed. Casting someone like Josh Keaton or JAT in the role of Sonic would be awesome, but I don't really know how would feel about not using the game cast. I guess as long as they all proved themselves to be highly capable as Sonic's cast of characters, I ultimately wouldn't mind.

C: Use film celebrities to lend their voices. There's a small chance it could turn out good, but IMHO, DO NOT GO THROUGH WITH THIS! There's a reason film actors stick to live action films: they do better at being on screen, where they usually sound bored when in the recording booth. As much as I despise Michael Bay's Transformers films, at least most Autobots and Decepticons were voiced by VA legends like Peter Cullen, Jess Harnell, Charlie Adler... you get my point. Unless the voice direction was absolutely stellar, I wouldn'y agree with this at all. Unfortunately, I could see them going through with this.

Y'know, I think I'd rather there isn't a Sonic film so that it can't go wrong. Video game adaptations a rarely decent; fewer still are faithful to the source material. The upcoming Ratchet movie is something I am optimistic about though, and I hope it can show others (like SEGA) how to go about this medium properly.

If it's being written/made right now, then it may be too early for its time. Without sounding melodramatic, I don't think the world is ready for a Sonic movie -- no-one other than the fans cares enough . The blue guy needs a better, more stable footing and a quality reputation before this can go through well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I just hope we don't end up with egg on our collective faces and it turns out Sony is producing or distributing Sonic Boom and the first release happens to be a direct to home video "movie" length pilot like with some other afternoon shows >.<

• Thumbs Up 2

Huh, that actually would make sense...

Though really, it would be the idea of a Boom tie-in but in reverse. Rather than waiting for Boom to finish its run and then make a film, they'd instead do a film first and then Boom.

Given that we only have until October or so (if I recall most shows air a new season around there), I don't know if they'd be able to really pull it off unless it's been in development for some time...

I dunno, I'd rather Sonic, should he get a crappy movie, have it ship straight-to-video instead of get a worldwide (this is SONY Pictures we're talking about here) theatrical release. It'd save him a ton of embarrassment.

Direct to video/DVD is where all movies go to die. At least with a theatrical release a studio usually has incentive to try and make it good.

Now if only studios didn't assume good = expensive. It's a contagious false correlation that's infected Hollywood and gaming alike.

whatever it is, if it is going to exist, I hope it'll be good. A new Sonic movie that is a good one could really help sonic's popularity thunder_dance_2_by_thunderbolt_the_fox-d

whatever it is, if it is going to exist, I hope it'll be good. A new Sonic movie that is a good one could really help sonic's popularity

I too am hopeful for a good movie, though I suppose it'll really depend who's behind it. Or even what continuity it's in - it could honestly be either the cartoon or the games knowing how these things go. I think it could go either way, though I'm inclined towards a movie based off the cartoon simply because that's how a lot of animated series are; they almost always get movies.

If that's the case, then it really would depend on whether Boom is a boom or a bust. If the cartoon's bad I think that would ruin the chances of a good film based on it.

Direct to video/DVD is where all movies go to die.

Not always. Lilo and Stitch 2 is actually up there with the original, though it's worth noting it was /intended/ to get a theatrical release but went straight-to-video because The Jungle Book 2 flopped.

Direct to video/DVD is where all movies go to die.

Most of DC's animated films would like to have a word with you.

Most of DC's animated films would like to have a word with you.

DC is a comic book franchise. Comic book people are pretty darn devoted to that sort of thing. I wouldn't be surprised if DC films get promotion in the comic books as well as anywhere else. Above all else - there are exceptions, not the rule. Direct to DVD is generally a format for things not deemed worthy of a theatrical release, usually because they're that bad or the company behind them is a cheapskate.

Though that's another thing. SEGA needs to maximise promotion of any film. There need to be ads in the cartoon, ads in the comic books, and ads in the games. I really hope they do so, so it's not just the diehards who learn about it.

Yeah, if they made a movie it would probably be in the style of colors or lost world *hopefully with a better plot line though*
If I had my choice though I would want them to make one with as epic as a story as the adventure games.
In fact I think they should make Sonic adventure 2 into a movie. Lol

Couldn't it be a Direct-to-TV movie?

Hmm, if it was based off the cartoon, very, very likely.

In fact, SEGA deciding to go for a theatrical release when a TV movie would work just fine seems very, very in character for them.

I just cannot wait for a trailer. Sony better not screw it up and turn Sonic into another Smurf movie.

I just cannot wait for a trailer. Sony better not screw it up and turn Sonic into another Smurf movie.

We don't even know if there'll be a movie to begin with :U

Indeed. The only reason I have confidence is that Sony seems to be rapidly expanding its grip on the video game film industry, with three films already, so why not throw in a large non-Sony IP as well?

Well, if you guys have not noticed right now. A Sly Cooper movie trailer has released..... Another Sony movie on a video game franchise. Gives me hope that Sonic COULD be next.

A lot of people seem to be complaining about the character models in the Sly movie trailer, but... I don't know.  I think they look all right.  I imagine I'd probably be a lot more strict about it if they were Sonic models, though.

But the writing seemed genuinely well done, and as such, I can't help but think that if they really are doing a Sonic movie, it might not turn out so bad.

Just like Ratchet and Clank though, Sony is not directly behind the Sly Cooper movie. If Sony's own movie company is behind it. They might screw it up. Rainmaker animation does seem like they know what they are doing and could be a good choice for the production if Marza is not working on it themselves. Speaking of Marza, they have not done lots of CG cutscenes for Sonic lately, Lost World got only one. Leads me to believe that they are busy animating the movie (if the movie actually exists of course) but maybe they were just busy on that other CG movie for Japan they are releasing soon.

I have to admit I'd be actually optimistic...a bit...if this movie was announced to have Rainmaker Studios behind the animation. From the teasers of R&C and Sly, the animation looks really well done. The writing for both trailers seems pretty nice too.