Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I could understand why you would side step the series trend of fantastic natural landscape, but so many iconic Sonic levels are urban too that you'd at least be set picking any american city to film in. You dodge all that for nothing but empty fields and rural small towns? I don't see why anyone who's glanced at the series would do this unless this movie is about to be some next level deconstrution, but I wouldn't dare give them tht much credit.

Pairing Sonic with a literal cop is the most surface level take on a foil to the character. He's rebellious! so now he has to work with the opps!!!! 

But having Sonic face off with someone who's serious and kind of a stiff is kind of the crux of 80% of his rivalries...so, yeah. You coulda used one of them.

If it HAS to be a human cop you coulda gone for topaz

Anything at all to suggest there's any real thought being put into this

Please  throw me a bone

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Tails can be some kid Sonic dunks on when he's at maximum jerkitude and then runs into again when Eggman does an attack and after Sonic's learned a lesson about friendship so they help each other out against some badniks or something.

Also it looks like there wont be a sonic x type story and sonic will already be established in this world will be interesting to see how they do it.

Well so this is... Fleetway Sonic personality return?...

THAT was unexpected.

I'm interested.

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

You know, about the picture of the logo that was revealed back in April. I think the background of the logo kinda teased where it will be setting in. The Paramount Pictures CEO mentioned rural environment.:

He’s a juvenile delinquent on the adventures in a pretty straight rural environment with a local policeman.

tumblr_inline_p9o3dzxIWk1r7g3cd_500.jpg

I wonder if the town will be called Station Square, just like Angel Grove was an town in the Power Rangers movie.

45 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Add in the fact that Sonic "supposedly is desperately longing for a friend", and it becomes absolutely worse, because it then implies Sonic's acting out due to being lonely/misunderstood/bored/whatever else, and it makes him look more like a jerk who needs to be taught to become a hero as opposed to Sonic being a legitimately good guy with a sense of an attitude and a free-spirited nature. Sonic shouldn't need "Tom the Cop" to befriend him and teach him what he's doing is wrong. He shouldn't need to have someone on the opposite side of the law there to tell him about right and wrong and convince him to help the police. That should literally be apart of Sonic's moral code because he's all about fighting for what's right and fighting against oppression like Eggman's.

But then there's also general things you can grab out of it. Sonic is seemingly pals with Tom the Cop before Tails. Sonic is going to lose his agency as a character and his usual rebellious and free-spirited attitude because he literally has to be taught by new human character - Tom about doing what's right, about what he's doing is wrong, about stopping Eggman, and about this that and other.

Context is absolutely everything. And if a "coming of age" story like this is possibly going to end up just ruining the character and turning it into the opposite of what he usually is to then justify new character's existence by making it so new character teaches him to be who he's actually meant to be, like that just not only badly character assassinates Sonic, but also removes his own agency by making it someone else's actions and lessons that make him who he is in the first place.

Yeah, that is kind of a Catch 22 with this premise.

11 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Isn't that basically what they're going for, though? By the sound of it, at least.

I mean my expectations are still set at "dumpster fire" because that's every video game movie adaptation and many Sonic things, but I don't actually hate the sound of this. Looking it at it from the perspective of, "how do we make a viable standalone story out of this 'Sonic the Hedgehog' thing?" rather than "how best do we make a 90 minute JO session for the fans?", it sounds like a bit cliched but still viable angle to take. It's a sort of origin story; he's got all this youthful energy and rebelliousness and it comes out in less-than-constructive ways until something shakes him out of that narrow mindset, he gets a wider view of the world, and he learns to apply that energy in a more productive way.

It kinda feels like people were expecting Sonic to already be the Sonic we have now, but then...what's the story? You want a movie starring Sonic, you need a story about Sonic, and you can't really do that if he's already a morally perfect and beloved hero. There's gotta be something to challenge him and some direction for him to develop in, and they'd obviously want to develop him into the character that people already know and love, not away from it.

It basically sounds like an argument over the merits and requirements of character development, honestly.

Maybe Sonic is desperately longing for a friend because he's lost and from another world? Without his friends?

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Razule said:

Maybe Sonic is desperately longing for a friend because he's lost and from another world? Without his friends?

Bingo 

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally I enjoy the thought of Sonic having character development, and a core reason behind his character, but "He's a delinquent, but then makes friends with a cop, and through their friendship Sonic learns how to be a better person" isn't a very compelling core imo, especially for someone as resolved in his ideals as Sonic

• Thumbs Up 2

So sonic in this movie is a delinquent who befriends with a cop. Okay.. totally not what I expected but it's interesting. I have no idea how they're going to make it work though. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd be surprised if there even is "another world" plot point for this movie given how this already seems like it could care less about actual sonic set pieces. I'd be floored to see at least one loop de loop for this movie, let alone them talking about chaos emeralds the way how this is being described.

In what weird realm do we have to be in that there's a premise for a Sonic adaption where we have a wacky and over the top Sonic potentially causing a lot of property damage, enough for the cops to get involved, because he has no friends to relate to? Like wtf? Was he not already friends / friendly with humans, too, or are they going to rewrite that for some generic "the people vs animals" angle to build up Sonic's arc for this movie?

If Tom literally mutates into Tails I swear to God I will scream so loud I will never be allowed back in the Theater. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 7

3 hours ago, Chili Dawg said:

SEGA loses E3 already.

What the hell does E3 have to do with this

19 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

If Tom literally mutates into Tails I swear to God I will scream so loud I will never be allowed back in the Theater. 

Maybe Sonic becomes Tails and Tom becomes the real Sonic?

• My Emmerdoods 2

16 minutes ago, Razule said:

Maybe Sonic becomes Tails and Tom becomes the real Sonic?

Maybe they all become Sonic. They will add their tubular and free-living attitude to their own and ride around the galaxy in a huge Sega Mega Drive.

• My Emmerdoods 1

What I'm trying to figure out is, how they would capture Sonic's true speed like in a close up high speed section like with Sonic and Eggman are talking mid-battle? I mean to capture Sonic's true speed filming would have to be sped up to match Sonic's speed if going straight through town/city. Now I mean we've seen Sonic going his full speed in the games CGI cutscenes, but how would that transition into CG/Live action unless some are Full CGI.

I really don’t understand why the plot had to be some boring uninspiring plot about some random cop helping Sonic. I really hope they include some of his friends, because so far, the only good outcomes of this is that Marza and Blur Studio are making the animation for the film.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

That made me throw up.

1 hour ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

What I'm trying to figure out is, how they would capture Sonic's true speed like in a close up high speed section like with Sonic and Eggman are talking mid-battle? I mean to capture Sonic's true speed filming would have to be sped up to match Sonic's speed if going straight through town/city. Now I mean we've seen Sonic going his full speed in the games CGI cutscenes, but how would that transition into CG/Live action unless some are Full CGI.

Easy, he never goes much faster than a police car.

I mean they can do it with characters like Flash and Quicksilver, so not sure why with sonic it’d be a problem 

• Thumbs Up 1

Tom isn't going to mutate into Tails. Clearly, right before the end of the movie, he's going to run into some of his cop buddies and they will reveal his nickname to be Miles because of the impossibly high odometer on his squad car.

*boom* end credits.

Seriously though, I'm not particularly stressing over any of this. Its hard to nail anything down without proper context. Just a lot of jumping to conclusions really.

2 hours ago, StriCNYN3 said:

I'd be floored to see at least one loop de loop for this movie,

They brought in the guy from Fast and Furious. That dude is probably salivating at the chance to work with a loop. He probably got a raging stiffy just thinking about it.

• Promotion 5

Maybe Sonic is stranded in our world and desperately wants to go back to his world but can't. He misses Tails and Knuckles. Maybe the Climax takes place in Sonic's world  

I want to be optimistic on the movie, but the recent news doesn't sound promising that it will be good. Didn't Van say that we will be pleasantly surprised back a couple of years ago? I don't know, since he doesn't work on the movie anymore. However, one of the movie writers Patrick Casey say that the movie will be dope.

I don't know what are they are doing working on the film. It's like they are just making themselves having an hard time, figuring out what to make for the film.

38 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

They brought in the guy from Fast and Furious. That dude is probably salivating at the chance to work with a loop. He probably got a raging stiffy just thinking about it.

Don't forget Tim Miller, he also working as an executive producer. His partner, Jeff Fowler is directing the movie.

Oh, Moritz produced S.W.A.T., and made an cameo appearance as the driver of the white Land Rover,  in case if you didn't noticed in this clip.:

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Ultimate Victory 64 said:

What the hell does E3 have to do with this

Because this movie sounds so all-encompassingly awful that the awfulness spills over into everything Sega is up to, including E3. :p

If this isn't going the "Fish Out of Water" route, then what's Sonic doing bumming around in a small town? 

They make a mean chili dog. And yeah, this movie is shaping up to be a meme. Not helping it is how it's apparently releasing in 2019's November. Since the following:

-Wonder Woman 2
-James Bond
-Margie Claus (the actual competition since it comes out on the same day.)
-Terminator 6
-Marvel/Fox movie
-Frozen 2

Expecting a laughingstock like Sonic to compete with Disney/Pixar?