Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

3 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

So, maybe, Sonic is going to run through highway, overtaking cars. Huh, interesting.

As, I read this article, I found this.:

Miller wrote that one of the scenes to be filmed will consist of a pickup truck being chased and forced to stop on the highway.

So, I guess that in this scene will be an car chase, where maybe Sonic will stop a thief from getting away.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

46 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, I guess that in this scene will be an car chase, where maybe Sonic will stop a thief from getting away.

More like Dr. Eggman trying to steal a high tech piece of equipment for his new weapon that he's always coming up with, just look at Colors and Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Well that's a good sign

A Live action Adaptation of Sonic The Hedgehog trying to be serious and only going by "Sonic"? I'm sure that will turn out perfectly.

• Chuckle 6

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

A Live action Adaptation of Sonic The Hedgehog trying to be serious and only going by "Sonic"? I'm sure that will turn out perfectly.

To be fair, "Sonic" rolls of the tounge better than Sonic's full name. It's not different from Iron Man being called "Iron Man" instead of "The Invincible Iron Man" or Thor being called "Thor" instead of "The Mighty Thor"

Expect this movie to be less like Alivin and the Chipmunks and more like the Avengers 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

Expect this movie to be less like Alivin and the Chipmunks and more like the Avengers 

That would imply there's a solidified team effort going on.

Best stick with the Iron Man or Doctor Strange comparison.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

That would imply there's a solidified team effort going on.

Best stick with the Iron Man or Doctor Strange comparison.

Yeah, gonna have to wait for the "Sonic Expanded Cinematic Universe" to be more established for that. This is only the beginning of Act 1. Next up is "Knuckles the Guardian", "Project: Shadow", and topping it off with the first crossover "Sonic: Chaos of the Ark".

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

To be fair, "Sonic" rolls of the tounge better than Sonic's full name. It's not different from Iron Man being called "Iron Man" instead of "The Invincible Iron Man" or Thor being called "Thor" instead of "The Mighty Thor"

If it were called “Olgilve” on the other hand...

• Promotion 1

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Yeah, gonna have to wait for the "Sonic Expanded Cinematic Universe" to be more established for that. This is only the beginning of Act 1. Next up is "Knuckles the Guardian", "Project: Shadow", and topping it off with the first crossover "Sonic: Chaos of the Ark".

And this would be awesome even though you'e joking 

• Thumbs Up 1

Some more details about the filming in the highway.:

-The Vancouver Island North Film Commission (INFilm) is seeking community support from local governments and politicians on Central Vancouver Island to have scenes for a Paramount Pictures Studios film shot on Highway 19 next fall.

-INFilm commissioner Joan Miller declined an interview request, stating the permitting process is still in the works and the commission is in the process of garnering community support.

-Comox Valley Regional District directors, and Courtenay-Comox MLA Ronna-Rae Leonard, she wrote that the film in question is called SONIC and is based on the SEGA video game franchise Sonic the Hedgehog.

-Miller’s letter states that INFilm has been meeting with Hedgehog Films Inc. and the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (MoTI) about the prospect of filming scenes for SONIC on Highway 19 between Qualicum Beach and Courtenay since mid-April.

-If MoTI approves the film permit, shooting will take place — weather pending — between the Buckley Bay interchange and the Cook Creek turnoff from Thursday, Sept 13 to Monday, Sept 17 from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

-Miller’s letter states the production will have a 150-person crew, which could include graduates from North Island College’s new TV and crew training program.

-Miller wrote that Hedgehog Films Inc. would work with MoTI to minimize impacts on the area, including arranging for a detour route on Highway 19A during filming times.

-“We understand concerns regarding highway closures and will do our very best to expedite re-opening the highway once the scenes are completed each day,” she wrote.

-Other films that have had scenes filmed on Highway 19 include Final Destination II in 2003 and Are We There Yet? in 2005.

Also, I noticed that Tim mentioned Hedgehog Films Inc in the article. So I try search it up on the internet, but nothing about it show up. So, I don't know, when did this company existed and pop out from nowhere. I wonder if the company will oversee the Sonic movie franchise which could maybe possibly happening like similar to Sony's Ghost Corps which oversee the Ghostbusters franchise.

• Thumbs Up 3

21 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Maybe Tom the Cop’s car was stolen/towed.

15 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Maybe Tom the Cop’s car was stolen/towed.

I don't think so. The article mentioned an pickup truck, not a tow truck. It say that the truck is being chased and forced to stopped, which I'm assume that Sonic is stopping the driver from getting away. So, maybe he stole some stuff that is so valuable and special.

I just can't get on board with Sonic in a live action film because his character design is fundamentally different than characters like Alvin and the Chipmunks or the Smurfs. The Chipmunks look like chipmunks so their CGI, real-world likenesses sort of manage to fit into the real world.

Sonic is different. He doesn't really look like a hedgehog. Hell, he doesn't really look like anything. And in 2D you kind of get away with it because his stylized design has some qualities of a hedgehog.

Sonic-the-Hedgehog-character-001.thumb.jpg.57055378e655460418f297761ca70a7e.jpg

Trouble is that when you jump into 3D renderings those stylized elements look stranger and stranger. Instead of quills, he's got these plastic tubes coming out of his head.

3D Sonic never looks like something that belongs in a physical world and you can get away with it when the world around him stays equally stylized, but the more you try to force the character into the real world, the less he looks like a hedgehog. Sonic-and-elise-sonic-the-hedgehog-06-16679788-1280-1024.thumb.jpg.ffa0cc7e67832df5f1819c753bc46849.jpg

I just don't see how they can put Sonic into a live action image without looking ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

I just can't get on board with Sonic in a live action film because his character design is fundamentally different than characters like Alvin and the Chipmunks or the Smurfs. The Chipmunks look like chipmunks so their CGI, real-world likenesses sort of manage to fit into the real world.

To be fair, they were considerably redesigned for those movies. In the older stuff though,..

Image result for alvin and the chipmunks 1983

• Thumbs Up 3

38 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

The Chipmunks look like chipmunks so their CGI, real-world likenesses sort of manage to fit into the real world.

Not really, their classic selves look like people with button noses. They look less like chipmunks than Sonic looks like an animal at all. They redesigns looked like they fit in the real world because they were radically redesigned to fit into the real world. The Sonic equivalent would be like if they turned Sonic into this:

Spoiler

41b.jpg

Which of course, SEGA would never be willing to let happen. Probably.

At most, he'll look something like this.

image.png.797d3d51309702a4b23f3c3f535af2e6.png

At the least, something like that 06 render that keeps being posted.

Yeah, Sonic doesn't fit in the real world, most cartoons don't. But the problem isn't with Sonic's appearance.. it's with the fact that cartoon characters just don't work in live-action in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Razule said:

Not really, their classic selves look like people with button noses. They look less like chipmunks than Sonic looks like an animal at all. They redesigns looked like they fit in the real world because they were radically redesigned to fit into the real world. The Sonic equivalent would be like if they turned Sonic into this:

Hide contents

41b.jpg

Which of course, SEGA would never be willing to let happen. Probably.

At most, he'll look something like this.

image.png.797d3d51309702a4b23f3c3f535af2e6.png

At the least, something like that 06 render that keeps being posted.

Yeah, Sonic doesn't fit in the real world, most cartoons don't. But the problem isn't with Sonic's appearance.. it's with the fact that cartoon characters just don't work in live-action in the first place.

They look enough like chipmunks that their 3D CGI redesigns don't make them look freakish or unrecognizable.

14 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

They look enough like chipmunks that their 3D CGI redesigns don't make them look freakish or unrecognizable.

Because they wear color coded shirts with the first letters of their names on them. And... them being freakish or not is kind of a matter of opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Razule said:

Because they wear color coded shirts with the first letters of their names on them. 

I was seriously tempted to say the same thing! :joy: 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

The problem of Sonic's design is no different than the problem of Superman's trunks or Iron Man's skintight body armor from the 60s. His design will be UPDATED to fit the real world. Why is this such an unbelievable thing for most? Sonic is obviously not going to look like he stepped out of the games looking like a Space Jam sequel. The Chipmunks example is a terrible one because Alvin and co were COMPLETELY redesigned to look more realistic.  They looked like real Chipmunks because of the fact that the filmmakers redesigned their original look and I'm not expecting something as extreme as that or Bayformers. Think more Spider-Man suit from the comics to the movies:

w6d3xknfrkwy.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

5407617ba5815fb39c13ee9aaca9f5eb.jpg

That's not a redesign. That's a "Translation" or "update" if you will. Taking the basic design plan and updating it for the real world and the blockbuster audience I'm looking at this movie from the viewpoint of the MCU. Now what I'm imagining Sonic is the classic design with realistic textures (and not as cheap as that 06 concept art that keeps being posted. I mean REALISTIC fur) and toned down body proportions i.e smaller hands, smaller head and smaller feet. Sonic looking more natural and less exaggerated & comical. And his shoes may be a new shoe brand similar to the Nikes Batman wore in 89' or the Soap Shoes from SA2. This would be for tie in merchandising for companies to sell based on the movie. Expect the shoes to be heavily customed to look like the classc buckle shoes. 

And maybe he'll additional accessories like the upgrades you get in Sonic Adventure and Sonuc 06. I.e a backpack to carry rings,  bounce bracelet, a custom made communicator device made specifically for Sonic's head etc.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

To be fair, they were considerably redesigned for those movies. In the older stuff though,..

Image result for alvin and the chipmunks 1983

The VERY original chipmunks looked more or less like real ones, even more than the movie:

Let%E2%80%99sAllSingWithTheChipmunksActu

uqSq89SOvwHeDaR7ypuoWWRzgMFvXjmKxicUOv5I

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

The VERY original chipmunks looked more or less like real ones, even more than the movie:

Let%E2%80%99sAllSingWithTheChipmunksActu

Oh foq, well no wonder they changed them... 😨

The only way Sonic could work on the real world while retaining his stylized cartoony design without alterations is if the story treated him like a videogame character that jumps out of the TV screen instead of him having been part of our world from the start, as that would call for the dreaded re-design to make him look "believable" (aka ugly. You know, like the bayformers with the millions of moving parts that resulted in a visual mess, or the TMNT with those creepy lips). Kind of like how in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" we have tons of cartoon characters interacting with the real world, not changing them in the slightest since they're literally cartoons, and as such the laws of real world do not apply to them.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

The problem of Sonic's design is no different than the problem of Superman's trunks or Iron Man's skintight body armor from the 60s.

No, it really is a radically different problem. Comic book superheroes look kinda weird, but for the most part they're just ordinary (or, well, athletic and Hollywood beautiful) people in silly costumes. All you really need to do is make the costumes a little less silly, and sometimes not even that is necessary, because a guy running around with his underwear over his pants is weird but not actually impossible.

But Sonic's design is incredibly abstract. No living creature looks anything like this. He's not even just biologically implausible but physically impossible considering how his eyes and mouth work. I can't imagine any design that would look natural in a realistic setting that actually looks like any Sonic we've known.

• Thumbs Up 7

36 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

No, it really is a radically different problem. Comic book superheroes look kinda weird, but for the most part they're just ordinary (or, well, athletic and Hollywood beautiful) people in silly costumes. All you really need to do is make the costumes a little less silly, and sometimes not even that is necessary, because a guy running around with his underwear over his pants is weird but not actually impossible.

But Sonic's design is incredibly abstract. No living creature looks anything like this. He's not even just biologically implausible but physically impossible considering how his eyes and mouth work. I can't imagine any design that would look natural in a realistic setting that actually looks like any Sonic we've known.

I beg to differ. Here's my edit of that Bluecore Sonic pic above 6jnngx4.png

It's not perfect but you get the idea. Sonic doesn't have to look like a real animal to exist. Superman flying is not possible and the Iron Man suit is hundreds of years away from being created. It's not about whether omething is implausible in real life But whether you can make the audience suspend their disbelief and  BELIEVE in the concept. 

• My Emmerdoods 2

...yeah to be honest dude I'll be seeing that in my fucking nightmares tonight.

That aside he still doesn't look like he fits into reality and he's looking even less like our loveable hero Sonic and more like some kind of horrible goblin.

• Thumbs Up 7