Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

3 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Takashi Iizuka says he is supervising the Sonic movie

Source

I already posted about this.

So, guys, what if the town won't be called Station Square,  but will be called some random fictional small town name instead? Maybe, Station Square will appear as a city after all. They won't start filming in the other locations until September.:

Filming will take place starting in mid-September for somewhere in the range of eight to 11 days along First Avenue, between Roberts Street and Gatacre Street.

Source: https://www.ladysmithchronicle.com/news/paramount-budgets-7m-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-shoot-in-hero-town-ladysmith/

If MoTI approves the film permit, shooting will take place — weather pending — between the Buckley Bay interchange and the Cook Creek turnoff from Thursday, Sept 13 to Monday, Sept 17 from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

Source: https://www.vancouverislandfreedaily.com/entertainment/scenes-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-set-to-be-filmed-on-highway-19-next-fall/

However, according to YVRshoots, they will begin shooting the movie next month in Metro Vancouver. Although, it say that they will wrap filming on September, but maybe they will start filming downtown Vancouver and ended it in the town?:

Sonic the Hedgehog is expected to start filming July 30th in metro Vancouver and wrap September 26th.

Source: http://www.hollywoodnorth.buzz/2018/05/big-movie-james-marsden-cast-in-live-actionanimated-sonic-the-hedgehog.html

I think they may be referring Metro Vancouver to Downtown Vancouver. It seem like a perfect good city setting like Station Square.:

Spoiler

vancouvers-nightlife_2be38523-2ba6-4fc5-af91-a77e316713d1.jpg

granville_street_vancouver.0.jpg

streetcarwork2n.jpg

Georgia_%40_Burrard.JPG

traffic.jpg

vancouver-traffic.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&w=720&h=478&crop=1

Granville-Street_fa59398f-866b-4ec6-bb43-5f1a5d5b56f0.jpg

streetcarwork1n.jpg

Bike-Pathes-03-X2.jpg?resize=1024%2C680

maxresdefault.jpg

I could see the final fight in the movie similar to the fight in Sonic Adventure.:

super_sonic_vs_perfect_chaos_by_jfrteam-d4dweaz.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

So the movie does take place in a city at some point 

Well, that just me speculating thinking that in the beginning of the movie, it will first set in the town and the rest of the movie will take place in a city setting like Station Square. Like Man of Steel, in the beginning, the movie first take place in a small town called Smallville and the rest of the movie, take place mostly in a city called Metropolis, where the final fight take place in. So, I could see the final fight in the Sonic movie take place in Station Square. Maybe, we will see some scenes set in the town in the rest of the movie. I don’t know, hopefully, we will start seening some set photos, when filming start next month.

• Thumbs Up 1

The shoot time for this movie seems in line with what I hear about a lot of other movies these but the over a year gap from when they will supposedly finish filming and the release date tells me there is going to be a ton of post production going on. I can't help but wonder though with Marza's lack of experience on a feature length picture if that time will be enough for all of the CGI teams to work their magic. And if not, will they be able to allocate the necessary budget to delay the movie or bring in more help to get everything done on time with the bare minimum level of polish.

I'm admittedly ignorant on the CGI post production process, but I know a lack of experience can definitely hurt any process and I've never heard of Marza working on a feature length theatrical project before. Consequently, I can't help but ponder if that will effect the whole production or if the more experienced teams will be able to keep them from being overwhelmed by the process.

Since, Lacey Chabert is an Hollywood actress, why not get her as an cameo? She is the voice actor of Princess Elise.:

814953CA-5961-44E0-9662-C22736EEA8B5.thumb.jpeg.8d61c392fac6d38868ae9d123b0305f4.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

The project not being run in the exact same way as the games would normally be a saving grace for me in any other context. Ironically.

• Chuckle 1

That's what I've been trying to tell everyone. That video games and movies are two completely different mediums and they should not be compared. What works in the games doesn't always work in the movie 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

11 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

That's what I've been trying to tell everyone. That video games and movies are two completely different mediums and they should not be compared. What works in the games doesn't always work in the movie 

EXACTLY. That's what I've been saying, too. Can't be looking for game!Sonic in a movie. 

Right, but what elements of the games and what elements of the movies are you guys talking about exactly? They're different mediums so the approach has to be different, of course, but most of that deals with story structure and the way plot elements are expanded upon and worked around to make sure the audience isn't confused about the world and it's characters.

I highly doubt making Sonic life-action and pairing him with up with Generic Movie Cop #3 has anything to do with what's necessary here. 

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Right, but what elements of the games and what elements of the movies are you guys talking about exactly? They're different mediums so the approach has to be different, of course, but most of that deals with story structure and the way plot elements are expanded upon and worked around to make sure the audience isn't confused about the world and it's characters.

I highly doubt making Sonic life-action and pairing him with up with Generic Movie Cop #3 has anything to do with what's necessary here. 

If you're wanting a movie that's extremely similar to game!Sonic, I don't think you'll be getting it. That's what I mean. I mean BECAUSE it's such a different medium, the movie won't incorporate many of the game elements because it just wouldn't work out. Incorporating giant boss battles, many of the characters, some of the zones, an animated Eggman, and even the Chaos Emeralds just might not work well with the kind of story that's being told. 

The stuff we're gonna see in the movie will probably stay true to SOME elements of game!Sonic, but a lot of it is probably going to be a brand new iteration. What I want to know is why everyone is so strung up on the idea that things absolutely HAVE to be like the source material or it's not worth watching. It could be really fun, especially if people open themselves up a little more to new ideas and iterations. 

It's live-action/CGI, it's going to have human characters, and it's going to be set in a small town. Take it or leave it, but either way, this thing is happening whether the fan base wants it or not. 

Not sure about this, but I assume that this tweet mean that they are looking for extras to casted for the movie. So, I’m going to leave this here.

https://twitter.com/Usa_Production/status/1012477004896260096

According to the company’s Twitter profile page, they claimed that they are an accurate and professionally researched resource for creatives who are looking for the work in feature film and television production in North America.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Spooks said:

If you're wanting a movie that's extremely similar to game!Sonic, I don't think you'll be getting it. That's what I mean.

Well, that's obvious. Based on the info we've gotten here, there's literally no way anyone could reasonably expect that to be the case. However-

2 hours ago, Spooks said:

I mean BECAUSE it's such a different medium, the movie won't incorporate many of the game elements because it just wouldn't work out. Incorporating giant boss battles, many of the characters, some of the zones, an animated Eggman, and even the Chaos Emeralds just might not work well with the kind of story that's being told. 

The stuff we're gonna see in the movie will probably stay true to SOME elements of game!Sonic, but a lot of it is probably going to be a brand new iteration. What I want to know is why everyone is so strung up on the idea that things absolutely HAVE to be like the source material or it's not worth watching. It could be really fun, especially if people open themselves up a little more to new ideas and iterations. 

It's live-action/CGI, it's going to have human characters, and it's going to be set in a small town. Take it or leave it, but either way, this thing is happening whether the fan base wants it or not. 

This is a little silly in my opinion. None of the things you listed are at all impossible to incorporate into a Sonic movie and the reason they aren't here have nothing to do with the medium of film. Sonic's been incorporated into short movies, television shows, comics, and things of that nature before and the one golden rule towards getting all that to work is to just tell a story that'll allow for it to work. Have a competent set-up, lay the elements out as best you can, and follow-through. 

What it sounds like you're saying here is that those elements won't work with the kind of movie that they've decided to make here and I agree. It won't. The issue is that this isn't the kind of Sonic movie they absolutely had to make and if anyone is insinuating that it couldn't be made without resorting to live-action and Tom the Cop then that's crazy. 

It also shouldn't be a surprise why no one is on board with this. Obviously compromises were expected to be made when it came to adapting Sonic to film but normally, a person should expect a reasonable amount of restraint so that the product they're giving us can reasonably be considered as something competently spun-off from the series it's supposedly based on. 

Treating these reactions as though it seriously has anything to do with people not being open to new ideas and iterations is ridiculous. There's new ideas and iterations and then there's just legalized Hollywood bootlegging. You can't just do literally whatever you want and slap the word "SONIC" on it and expect people to eat it up. The line has to be drawn somewhere. If there's no line drawn then there's nothing stopping some Hollywood executive from being like "HEY GUYS! I'VE DECIDED THAT IN THIS MOVIE, SONIC'S GONNA BE A TOMATO! WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT?!"

Consistency with the way the world is handled is an important thing for a reason. The Sonic game series itself has too many problems changing the structure and tone of it's world on a dime. The excuse of it being a different version of Sonic doesn't work here. Questions about what the changes it's making, how they make any sense, and why are perfectly viable. This rings true for anything that's spun-off from Sonic, like Sonic Boom or any of the other TV shows, comics, and games. There's nothing wrong with being upset that it's different even if one could later learn to accept it for what it is, like I did with Boom. 

I'm so tired of there being people who seriously believe that if you don't accept something that looks like it's gonna be some bullshit than you're just hating on it because you can't handle that it's "different". Yes, there's a reasonable amount of acceptance one could and probably should have when considering the nature of a spin-off and how those usually tend to be different. However, you absolutely are within reason to question why they're different when the decisions made don't make any sense or betray a lot of what's been established about what the series is generally supposed to look and feel like. We do it all the time when it comes to how they handle the games. Of course it's going to happen when something as extreme and unnecessary as the nonsense we're hearing about this film is being dulled out to us.

Who in their right mind creates a product spun-off from a franchise with a fanbase that's used to stuff being presented one way, completely reverses it, and expects there to be no backlash? Even with the Modern and Classic universes separate, there's still people who prefer one over the other and remain vocal about it despite the fact that they exist simultaneously.

Whether CG or traditional, Sonic's always been an animated character within an animated world. It's going to look weird and stupid for him to be a CGI creation in a live-action product after 27 years of him not being that. Why on Earth would anyone make something like that expecting people to just accept it? Especially when they haven't been provided a logical reason for why they should?

Years ago when this shit was announced I had enough empty optimism to play the "wait and see, it might be fun" card. Now I'm more the type that formulates expectations based on evidence and waits to see if the expectation is upheld or debunked when the product comes out. Right now, this movie looks like puerile, rancid, Hollywood garbage they'd dump in theaters during a month no one cared about because they realized too late that the money that went into it wasn't coming back to them. 

• Thumbs Up 8

13 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

and even the Chaos Emeralds just might not work well with the kind of story that's being told. 

Okay I think we can all agree that the Chaos Emeralds will have some sort of involvement in the film. I mean you can't have a Sonic finale without Super Sonic, unless you count Sonic Lost World and Forces (Forces was included as DLC though as the idea came after everything else was done like Episode Shadow).

Onto the matter of change and acceptance in design and world. Now this is a game example, not a movie example.

The Legend of Spyro Dawn of the Dragon (or the entire trilogy as a whole) for instance it changed the Spyro character designs and world. Some people didn't like neither of Spyro's Legend designs. But the studio of the 3rd game stayed true to Spyro design while also making him look more realistic without crossing the border of too realistic and losing that feel and look of Spyro. Then Skylanders came along that went too far into the cartoony category (of course Skylanders Academy Spyro looks way better compared to the Skylanders games) and less realistic than Classic or Legend.

This is a movie example

Then there's the Ratchet & Clank Movie, which sticks close to the source material. The world and it's characters are still intact with some exceptions to R&C's friendship (okay everyone kept bringing this up, but who wanted to see how Ratchet was in the 1st game, it would've added something to the movie though) and Drek's goofy out of character personality (now there were a couple of moments where original Drek did show through). Other than that most of the movie was kept intact to the games.

So just because there will be some change in the Sonic movie it doesn't mean it won't be any good. The above examples are good ones involving change in characters or worlds, I'm sure there are others like Sonic Boom, Sly Cooper TV/Movie, etc. From what I'm hearing so far it sounds possibly like an origin story (which is technically a new story) or a brand new story that draws on certain elements from the games.

Just now, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Okay I think we can all agree that the Chaos Emeralds will have some sort of involvement in the film. I mean you can't have a Sonic finale without Super Sonic, unless you count Sonic Lost World and Forces

You easily can (also you forgot Colors). I'm not expecting the emeralds to be involved at all, because I don't expect the conflict to get up to "we need a super saiyan to fight this skyscraper-sized robot in space" scale.

• Thumbs Up 2

If I could make a bold claim , I don't think we will ever see the chaos emeralds. It kinda feels like in multiple games not just mainline but also spin off material wanted to rid itself of the chaos emeralds. I could be and most likely am probably wrong. But it would be interesting if they actually just strait up said " There are no chaos emeralds " 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

If I could make a bold claim , I don't think we will ever see the chaos emeralds. It kinda feels like in multiple games not just mainline but also spin off material wanted to rid itself of the chaos emeralds. I could be and most likely am probably wrong. But it would be interesting if they actually just strait up said " There are no chaos emeralds " 

Could be fun to see them introduced in a post-credit scene for the sequels. But for this first movie, I don't think they'll be showing up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Let me set the actor aside for just a sec to ask: are they just using Robotnik because that's what they are familiar with or are they actually going to call him that?