Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

49 minutes ago, Spooks said:

Ooh, insane Eggman who's dangerously powerful sounds fun. 

The buddy cop thing is pretty much known to be true at this point, since interviews and journals all have the director explaining the "quasi juvenile delinquent on the adventures with a cop in a straight rural town". 

I’d still be peeved if Sonic's friends showed up. The last thing I’d want is for them to be there for the sake of being there. And with too many, the movie could turn out to be downright goofy; I don’t want an action-orientated version of that new Winnie the Poo movie. 

I'd still rather have Sonic themed Indiana Jones than buddy cop, but that's fairly arbitrary at this point.

More on point, I don't really see what a buddy cop setup brings for Sonic when you pair him up with a normal person. They obviously can't keep up which makes them more of a hindrance in combat situations, their human limitations prevents them from going out and seeing the world with the freedom Sonic has due to his speed (I mean he can cross the continental United States in around 4 to 5 hours at speed), and most other roles they could fill are already covered by Sonic's friends. Even Chris and his friends already covered the sympathetic human angles if you try to take that approach kind of stripping the cop character of any originality or agency. And while the mentor option is still on the table in some arguments I still personally feel as though that strips Sonic of his agency as a character and undermines him and his life philosophies. It also doesn't help that I can't think of any good buddy cop scenarios to use as a comparison. On the cartoon animal side all I can think of is Roger Rabbit and Disney's Bonkers cartoon. Then most Live Action examples I can think of (MiB, Lethal Weapon, RIPD, etc) typically the disparity is usually only in knowledge and approach. The difference between what Sonic is and capable of compared to a normal human seems too large of a gap to hold together to me. I mean if this movie is intended to go the Quentin Tarantino route of being extremely dialogue heavy then I could see it working, but I'm being told to think GotG which is problematic since all of the characters there are near enough in ability to keep up with each other. Now throw in Jim Carrey and his history of over the top hammy zaniness as Eggman and I can't even begin to guess the tone this movie is aiming for me. I'm starting to feel like I'm looking at 06 again where you had one story idea, but for reasons have to throw Sonic and Sonic elements in and just dump it on top making an absolute mess of Sonic and what was a decent concept to begin with. I really hope they reign things in a bit at SDCC and provide us with something to make it easier to put these disparate elements together.

4 hours ago, Spooks said:

Ooh, insane Eggman who's dangerously powerful sounds fun. 

The buddy cop thing is pretty much known to be true at this point, since interviews and journals all have the director explaining the "quasi juvenile delinquent on the adventures with a cop in a straight rural town". 

I’d still be peeved if Sonic's friends showed up. The last thing I’d want is for them to be there for the sake of being there. And with too many, the movie could turn out to be downright goofy; I don’t want an action-orientated version of that new Winnie the Poo movie. 

Yeah. I've been thinking that maybe the government turns to Eggman for help. In this universe, he's a well-known popular scientist and robotics engineer with multiple books out etc. The government goes to him for help on catching Sonic and gives him a huge funding boost ro make more advanced robots.. Somehow - at some point, Eggman's true colors is shown and he tries to take over the world.

I kinda disagree about Sonic's friends. I want at least Tails and Amy to appear in the movie. Maybe the way they can appear is by having them all get captured by the government (Maybe GUN brings Tails and Amy to Area 51) with Sonic being the only one to escape. Hence the chase and Sonic feeling sad and lonely about his situation. He misses his home and his friends, the latter of whom he wants to save. Maybe in the movie, Sonic has been on the run for a few months. Always moving from city to city every time the government finds out where he is - this could be how he becomes a known "trouble-maker" maybe Sonic is too scared to go back to where the accident happened?

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Robotnik is going to have a variety of outfits if he comes from Earth.  I think the only time we'll see him casually wearing the classic outfit is when he's doing experiments or building robots. But when he comes to Government meeting - he'll have to wear business attire.

Imagine Robotnik being person of the Year on a Time Magazine cover "Build a better future" in his modern outfit from the games.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Imagine Robotnik being person of the Year on a Time Magazine cover "Build a better future" in his modern outfit from the games.

You mean something like this?

1366183905241.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 2

2 minutes ago, NikoS said:

You mean something like this?

1366183905241.jpg

Yes, exactly that! "Dr. Ivo Robotnik is the world's leading scientist and futurist. With an IQ of 300 - He & his company 'Robotnik inc.' lead the way in the advanced fields of nano technology, Interstellar space travel, robotic engineering and accelerated artificial intelligence"  (basically foreshadowing Eggman's future plans) But I could see Robotnik being a very popular person - appearing on talk shows like Oprah, having best selling books etc. Carrey can play up the cookiness and over-the-top antics to give him a sense of charisma. Nobody would know he's evil at that point.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

The only bad part about The-the-the THE GRINCH playing Robotnik is that a serious Robotnik played by Hugo Weaving is now a missed opportunity. 

Otherwise, great pick. 

I'm.... actually okay with this, the more I think about it. While I knew there'd be changes, I'd worried that they'd radically alter Eggman to the point that he wouldn't be even slightly like the original character (like Bowser in the Mario movie, Dr Doom in either of the Fantastic Fours, or *shudder* Dr Claw in Inspector Gadget).

Just from their choice of Jim Carrey, it looks like they'll be going for a wackier Eggman closer to his game persona, rather than a more serious Eggman. I can totally see him pulling off Eggman's over the top gestures, facial expressions and ranting - although I'm not sure about the voice, Jim's a bit higher pitched naturally than Eggman, it'll be intersting if he deepens and gruffs up his delivery or if he'll just do his own thing.

• Nice Smile 2

7 hours ago, Razule said:

With the amount of times he's being called "Robotnik", is that the name they're going with?

Probably both. Robotnik is his real name after all 

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

Probably both. Robotnik is his real name after all 

Because Kintobor is no more lol

It's not like Sonic Team/Sega of Japan ever acknowledged Kintobor while having Robotnik be his surname.

• Fist Bump 2

I really hope the movie takes some inspiration from the Sonic comics. In terms of tone, character relationships and backstories. I've always wanted a game based not the comic because of the fleshed out world and characters

• Fist Bump 1

Anybody think they will made an tie-in comic for the movie? IDW now have the rights to the Sonic comics. They make tie-in comics before like this one.:

DF367727-D1DA-4C06-9D88-D44FE5FA4545.jpeg.36b1810680742801671247f2a7717692.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

On 7/2/2018 at 5:59 PM, Razule said:

With the amount of times he's being called "Robotnik", is that the name they're going with?

I think it's just fanboys who turn into screaming hellspawn if you dare say Eggman refusing to call him anything but Robotnik. 

@CaptainRobo I'm honestly expecting them too. They did tie-in's to My Little Ponytail the Movie, The Angry Birds Movie and are currently doing one for Bumblebee so it's certainly likely. 

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

I think it's just fanboys who turn into screaming hellspawn if you dare say Eggman refusing to call him anything but Robotnik. 

Or most of the people writing those articles remember him by that name.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, far the movie had only 3 actors who are casted for the movie.:

James Marsden (Westworld, Hop, Enchanted, Superman Returns, Anchorman 2, and 2 Guns)

Tika Sumpter (Salt, Ride Along, and Ride Along 2)

Jim Carrey (Dumb and Dumber, Dumb and Dumber To, The Mask, Kick-Ass 2,  The Truman Show, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Horton Hears A Who!, Batman Forever and Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events)

So, we know that Jim will play as Eggman, but we don't know what roles will the other two will play as. I think that James guy could play the cop. I guess we will have to wait and see about this.

Since it's the month of July now, filming will be starting soon. So, we should be expecting to see some set images hopefully soon. Also, with Comic-Con around the corner, maybe hopefully we should get some new info about the movie. Possibly maybe give an sneak peek of what Sonic and his friends will look like in the movie?

Oh, BTW, the writer post this.:

https://twitter.com/Pat_Kc/status/1013286148276289537

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's Jim Carry's latest movie thats out in Sept.  Getting an Eternal Sunshine vibe from it, but can you imagine Michel Gondry directing a Sonic movie?  Thats the type of imagery that works perfect for Sonic's world.  

Now I know the film won't be based on Sonic Boom,but is it safe to assume that Eggman's design might look more similar to Boom Eggman as opposed to Sonic 2006. As Boom Eggman's design level of realism doesn't feel forced like it did in 2006.

Image result for sonic boom eggman render

Now if I had to guess they probably would partially go with Modern's design. But more likely they could kind of combine certain elements from both Modern Eggman and Boom Eggman's designs to make it work in the film. It's more likely than just using the Modern design alone, it just wouldn't fit in with the rest of the film. Now since Sonic will look a little more realistic, well the same could apply to Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eggman's look will most likely be it's own thing and it'll obviously be more inspired by the current modern design. But could see them grounding it in reality a bit. Making it look more like an actual jacket