Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

You know what I think who Tika could also be? She could be an park ranger who can help Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

You know what I think who Tika could also be? She could be an park ranger who can help Sonic.

Yessss that'd be great BUT it would remind me too much of the Yogi bear movie

On 6/30/2018 at 9:20 PM, PeterPancake said:

Roger Craig is most likely not coming back, fortunately. He himself said it's unlikely to happen. Same prbly goes for Tails and Knuckles. Let's get actual actors to play these parts.

- Even Peters as Sonic 

https://youtu.be/rTL-fIn18_Y

- Judah Lewis as Tails 

https://youtu.be/auO3lpen54I

- Vin Diesel as Knuckles

https://youtu.be/kxMVLUE5aic

- Karen Gillan as Amy

https://youtu.be/9GTB4oGLSz4

Sign all of them for a 3 picture-deal 

Does new Sonic non video game media always have to be focused around those four all the time? I think it's time for characters Shadow and The chaotix to start getting conservative status quos like Tails, Knuckles and Amy in any Sonic production outside of being side roles that do stuff with Sonic on occasion.  This one hit wonder stuff for Shadow has to stop, Same with the Chaotix. You can't treat the second most popular character like he's a guest character and deprive his fans of no stimulation when he does not have a role in every game/comic/movie/cartoon.

4 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/07/06/the-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-that-never-got-made

Details on the very first attempt at the Sonic film have been released. 

I actually had a similar idea for a Season 12 (if it gets announced) episode of X-Files very similar to this. Well as far as a machine bringing video game characters into the real world like Sonic, Shadow Dr. Eggman & Infinite.

Now I'm a little mixed on this as this could've been based on Classic Sonic since it was around 1995. Plus the characters would not have been real their just like virtual reality copies. Looks like Sega experimented with VR in Sonic plots before the release of Sonic Forces.

Anyways I hope they take a different direction with this new film, because I wouldn't want Sonic and Eggman to just come out of a game. That'll just be a video game version of the 2015 Goosebumps film. I would just want the story and world to just be like the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Does new Sonic non video game media always have to be focused around those four all the time? I think it's time for characters Shadow and The chaotix to start getting conservative status quos like Tails, Knuckles and Amy in any Sonic production outside of being side roles that do stuff with Sonic on occasion.  This one hit wonder stuff for Shadow has to stop, Same with the Chaotix. You can't treat the second most popular character like he's a guest character and deprive his fans of no stimulation when he does not have a role in every game/comic/movie/cartoon.

Yeah, and on top of that, we don’t even know if other characters will show up for this first movie. I’d rather wait for official confirmation that there are definitely others before I speculate about potential voice actors. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Why would Shadow and the Chaotix be in the first movie? The original core characters should appear first. Shadow will definitely be in the sequel

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really expect Shadow to be in the film, but I can only see him in a post credits scene. Anyway, it's make sense just to have the core characters, since this is going to be the first Sonic film.

47 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Why would Shadow and the Chaotix be in the first movie? The original core characters should appear first. Shadow will definitely be in the sequel

Cuz he's got a lot of fans, and deserves to be given another chance to warm himself with the mass majority that easily rejects him being a non classic character. Shadows always behind the core cast in merchandise, media outlet promoting the sonic series, and general public perception of the sonic series belonging with the main cast fitting in the established setting. Which he can't fit without being demonized for being edgy and lame.

Why shouldn't he be in this movie,  he'd be a less polarizing figure if Sega proved Shadow is more than an edgy gimmick that makes stories edgy and complicated. Shadow needs to be simplified like the core cast is but not to A "Boom" extent. They need to make him play naturally off of team sonic and Eggman without compromising his ruthless and tough manly personality.

Shadow shouldn't be in this movie because the specter of Shadow is even more valuable and important than he is. It always has been.

Rather than rolling him out in the series movie first go, Shadow should be held back and built up to - the climax of a longer and grander ride. Much like Thanos in the MCU, Shadow should be held over the viewer - leveraging the full weight of the second most popular character in the franchise against the stakes of the story that finally brings him on board. (and this really holds true if you utilize him as a villain or an anti-hero).  Over saturating the audience with a quick and unearned Shadow story is a disservice to the role the character plays when he's utilized at his best.

Shadow is the perfect definition of sequel bait. If your hoping for anything beyond a credit sequence cliff-hanger, I think you're getting your hopes up.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

1) While it might not be aimed in it's entirety at kids, that doesn't mean it's not going to be kid friendly. 

2) Also just because certain directors etc have previously worked on adult or child rated material doesn't mean all of their movies will fit that billing. Steven Spielberg for example...

It's a franchise aimed at kids, who's "main" (being the operative word here) gross income comes from kids (and their parents), and is populated by colourful anthropomorphic animals. It's not going to rate children out of it's ticket sales, it would be box office self inflicted suicide to a degree higher than what they are already aiming for with this project. If it did make it into PG territory it would be a light PG so as to not exclude said children and the ticket sales their inclusion would generate, especially over what is a holiday period in a fair few countries.

Those of you thinking it will be a hard PG or above just because of the people making the film, and some of their previous projects being as such, will be sorely disappointed.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Tenko said:

1) While it might not be aimed in it's entirety at kids, that doesn't mean it's not going to be kid friendly. 

Of course it will be. Nobody has said it won't.

2 hours ago, Tenko said:

2) Also just because certain directors etc have previously worked on adult or child rated material doesn't mean all of their movies will fit that billing. Steven Spielberg for example...

Correct - but the writer of the movie himself used those previous movie In reference to the tone and atmosphere of this film specifically 

2 hours ago, Tenko said:

It's a franchise aimed at kids, who's "main" (being the operative word here) gross income comes from kids (and their parents), and is populated by colourful anthropomorphic animals. It's not going to rate children out of it's ticket sales, it would be box office self inflicted suicide to a degree higher than what they are already aiming for with this project.

Nobody said they would rate children out of this movie entirely. It's basically in the same boat as all of the main MCU films and Transformers and the main money with the kids will be made off of the merchandising and tie-in products. 

2 hours ago, Tenko said:

If it did make it into PG territory it would be a light PG so as to not exclude said children and the ticket sales their inclusion would generate, especially over what is a holiday period in a fair few countries.

It does not have to be a light "PG" (I assume you mean PG-13, because this movie ain't going to be a PG-rated movie aimed at 7 year olds) to make money at the box-office. Transformers, Bay Turtles, Fast and Furious, The Avengers etc dismantle that argument. If anything, this movie aiming at children too much could cripple it in the end because anybody over the age of 9 may think it looks stupid or unappealing. The writer told us to expect more Guardians of the Galaxy not Smurfs. And Guardians sure as heck is not a light PG-13, nor are any of the movies he mentioned in reference to this movie not being aimed at little kids.

Imagine the tone of The Avengers with the action of Transformers and Fast & Furious *Mouth waters*

2 hours ago, Tenko said:

Those of you thinking it will be a hard PG or above just because of the people making the film, and some of their previous projects being as such, will be sorely disappointed.

Those of you expecting a G-rating because of how juvenile and childish the past 5 games have been, will be sorely disappointed that this movie won't aimed at children aged 6-11 years old. That's why I vastly prefer the Sci-Fi adventure direction they're going with movie over a kooky animated children's film. I want Sonic to he able to stand toe to toe with the Transformers in the market.  This movie may aim more at teens and adults like most modern Blockbusters and CBMs while still remaining accessible to children 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Those of you expecting a G-rating because of how juvenile and childish the past 5 games have been, will be sorely disappointed that this movie won't aimed at children aged 6-11 years old. That's why I vastly prefer the Sci-Fi adventure direction they're going with movie over a kooky animated children's film. I want Sonic to he able to stand toe to toe with the Transformers in the market.  This movie may aim more at teens and adults like most modern Blockbusters and CBMs while still remaining accessible to children 

I never expected the movie to get an G-rating. These days now, you see a lot of PG and PG-13 movies than G-Rated movies. I really can’t see a Sonic movie getting an G-rating. That rating would means that the movie have no action. Of course, the movie will have a lot of action. So, I expected it to have a PG-13 rating.

8 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

It does not have to be a light "PG" (I assume you mean PG-13, because this movie ain't going to be a PG-rated movie aimed at 7 year olds) to make money at the box-office. Transformers, Bay Turtles, Fast and Furious, The Avengers etc dismantle that argument.

No, I meant PG, not all countries have the same standards on their ratings, and not all countries have the same rating system. I was speaking of PG as it stands in my country. 

"PG - These films contain material that a parent might need to explain to younger children. The content is mild."

As oppose to the next rating up over here which is an M rating, for mature audiences. Which I really don't think Sonic would end up in regardless of direction.

I also wouldn't peddle those particular movies as dismantling the discussion. Transformers while terrible (with the exception of the 80's animated movie), followed it's source material in as far as having giant robots scrap it out. The "Bay" Turtles movies, while also terrible, besides their origins and a fair few other points fans would point out, followed it's general formula. Fast and the Furious is an original work as far as I'm aware so is in a different ball park, and the Avengers also while making some changes followed the basics of the comic formula it stems from.

What we have heard so far screams that they aren't even sticking to the general basis and formula of it's source material. Even more so than those movies you mention sans Fast and the Furious. That inherently seems to be most of the detractors for this movies problem. People will take a punt if its not too far removed, cross that line tho and people lose interest and ask why it needs to be attached to the franchise in the first place.

Aka, comments about it looking like someone wanted to make a buddy cop movie, and to increase the chances of a green light they stretched it to a going property movie needing a script.

7 hours ago, Tenko said:

No, I meant PG, not all countries have the same standards on their ratings, and not all countries have the same rating system. I was speaking of PG as it stands in my country. 

"PG - These films contain material that a parent might need to explain to younger children. The content is mild."

As oppose to the next rating up over here which is an M rating, for mature audiences. Which I really don't think Sonic would end up in regardless of direction.

I also wouldn't peddle those particular movies as dismantling the discussion. Transformers while terrible (with the exception of the 80's animated movie), followed it's source material in as far as having giant robots scrap it out. The "Bay" Turtles movies, while also terrible, besides their origins and a fair few other points fans would point out, followed it's general formula. Fast and the Furious is an original work as far as I'm aware so is in a different ball park, and the Avengers also while making some changes followed the basics of the comic formula it stems from.

What we have heard so far screams that they aren't even sticking to the general basis and formula of it's source material. Even more so than those movies you mention sans Fast and the Furious. That inherently seems to be most of the detractors for this movies problem. People will take a punt if its not too far removed, cross that line tho and people lose interest and ask why it needs to be attached to the franchise in the first place.

Aka, comments about it looking like someone wanted to make a buddy cop movie, and to increase the chances of a green light they stretched it to a going property movie needing a script.

I think it's going to have enough violence and/or dangerous situations, with maybe a little crude humor sprinkled in and some language, to make it PG13. I think PG13 sounds about right, in that sense. But this is just speculation, of course, as everything here is. 

38 minutes ago, Spooks said:

I think it's going to have enough violence and/or dangerous situations, with maybe a little crude humor sprinkled in and some language, to make it PG13. I think PG13 sounds about right, in that sense. But this is just speculation, of course, as everything here is. 

I expect the movie to have a lot of action with some humor. In case, you don't know, Jeff Fowler who worked with Tim Miller on cutscenes for Sonic 06 like this one.:

Kjg1.gif

They also work on cutscenes for Shadow the Hedgehog. Here is proof that they worked on it.:

Spoiler

h4rl4l4ej9vx.png

Just to let you know this will be his first feature film that he will be directing. The only other film that he had directed is a short film called Gopher Broke. Tim Miller also worked on that too.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw-W1K68Sd4

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

I expect the movie to have a lot of action with some humor. In case, you don't know, Jeff Fowler who worked with Tim Miller on cutscenes for Sonic 06 like this one.:

Kjg1.gif

They also work on cutscenes for Shadow the Hedgehog. Here is proof that they worked on it.:

Hide contents

h4rl4l4ej9vx.png

Just to let you know this will be his first feature film that he will be directing. The only other film that he had directed is a short film called Gopher Broke. Tim Miller also worked on that too.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw-W1K68Sd4

Well, every director has their fair share of good and bad works. Let's hope that this first feature film for them will be a good one. :)

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Spooks said:

Well, every director has their fair share of good and bad works. Let's hope that this first feature film for them will be a good one. :)

Hopefully. I also hope that it will be a fun decent movie to watch. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably because it's Hollywood's reputation with video game movies and also because it's Sonic, I'm looking at this film with the lowest expectations. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, insert name said:

Probably because it's Hollywood's reputation with video game movies and also because it's Sonic, I'm looking at this film with the lowest expectations. 

Maybe it'll be decent. I'm keeping an open mind about this. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised. 

This may or may not be my last post on this topic. Because at this point highly likely no news on this film will matter to me as I have enough info about the movie to know it is already among the type of movies that I hate most…. Which means I won’t have much left meaningful to say and I’m not a fan of sticking around and ranting on something I hate endlessly as that kind of behavior is a true waste of life in my opinion. So excuse the wall of text. I needed to get this rant off my chest.

I’ve wanted a true Sonic Movie ever since back in the 90s… The Sonic OVA was good enough at the time, but it was not a full movie and it was ages ago now anyways. I’ve always been a huge fan of art and never cared to much for live action media in general with some exceptions. Especially as a big cartoon style fan it’s part of why Sonic was so appealing to me to start with… So seeing Sonic get the same live action butchering treatment that has no respect for the source material similar to what the old horrible Mario movie and many others got is among the biggest media related disappointments in my life. It literally doesn’t matter to me if the movie ends up getting decent reviews in the end, because personally this movie will never be even 30% of what I can put up with for Sonic…

I try very hard not to be to harsh on the Sonic franchise overall, I try to even give the known to be bad Sonic games a chance often… Sonic 06 being the only true Sonic game I flat-out hate… with other kinda bad ones like Sonic Forces I just find to be merely a disappointment and don‘t actually hate it… But this movie? Hell no! there is NOTHING there for me! I know It’s obvious this movie isn’t for fans, it’s mainly for casuals who barely know Sonic. Then again that’s not news because live action movies almost never are for the fans, and that is why fans often hate any live action movies loosely based after their fave non-real style media. Just give a quick look at the Dragon ball evolution movie and it’s no surprise why the fans and even the Dragon ball creator himself hated it to death. And seriously why should the average fan enjoy seeing something they love mutilated and turned into something else barely resembling it’s original self? Of course many fans wouldn’t!

Dude I’m totally not even a fan of the bad joke that was them trying to crossover wacky simplistic Mickey Mouse type style characters and sit them next to semi-realistic final fantasy humans on Sonic 06... Mixing completely different art styles together in one product is among the worse choices you can make typically...

Part of me kinda hopes this movie flops hard just so that they never try to make another live action Sonic movie. I stand against all movies of this type generally, so of course I don‘t want to see more of them! And yes If I had to choose this or nothing… I’d go with nothing. I can only hope that we still get a animated Sonic movie in the future regardless if the upcoming movie does good or badly. But for now that dream is dead. At least Nintendo is doing the preferable choice by making their upcoming movie fully animated, I can only hope SEGA follows their example later on. Another part of me almost wants to partially blame that awful fan made movie a few years ago, because while I can't be sure... I feel it was what inspired this real movie to get made somehow despite how much Sonic fans bashed that fan film... I think I remember reading Sonic Team saw it and thought it was cool.

Also I don’t agree with the opinion some folk have that a animated Sonic movie would require a lower age rating and be only for kids… I dono about others but I watch tons of PG-13 and R rated animated media… Sure it’s mostly anime because Japan has a far less narrow view then many westerners on the subject. Regardless there are still mature animations made for westerners out there… And while PG-13 animated movies are a little rare over here, they still happen and exist… it’s starting to become more common for animated films too because nowadays PG-13 movies in general are slowly becoming more of the standard for all movies.

As a note. I am not saying anybody here or anywhere shouldn’t enjoy this upcoming Sonic movie. Enjoy what you want, you don’t need my blessings obviously. I truly don’t believe in stepping on other folk’s fun. But at the same time I sure as ale don’t gotta like the concept of the movie or agree with anybody that anything about it was a good idea. :L

On 7/8/2018 at 2:20 AM, Sega DogTagz said:

Shadow shouldn't be in this movie because the specter of Shadow is even more valuable and important than he is. It always has been.

Rather than rolling him out in the series movie first go, Shadow should be held back and built up to - the climax of a longer and grander ride. Much like Thanos in the MCU, Shadow should be held over the viewer - leveraging the full weight of the second most popular character in the franchise against the stakes of the story that finally brings him on board. (and this really holds true if you utilize him as a villain or an anti-hero).  Over saturating the audience with a quick and unearned Shadow story is a disservice to the role the character plays when he's utilized at his best.

Shadow is the perfect definition of sequel bait. If your hoping for anything beyond a credit sequence cliff-hanger, I think you're getting your hopes up.

I see where your getting at here but here's the issue I have with this logic. Shadow needs to be be pushed in the exposed limelight to spark interest in hyping his anticipated appearance, and has to leave such a memorable impact, he makes the fans left with promising hopes, he'll show up in the next game regardless of the how he's used as a character.

He's still the same polarizing figure in a lot of people's knowledge of their own sonic experience. Pretty much no one naturally expects him in the plot anymore with Sonic, tails, knuckles, amy and eggman. This is due to Shadow being a non intergral factor of selling Sonics fundamental image to consumers and shadow is put on a bus to b list sonic characters as a result of having less official game status in the games.

People have to start giving a crap about Shadow on a (main 4) level if people want to gain a essential interest in him, he's still behind knuckles in being fully respected by casuals that don't question his own appearances in New sonic content, as he's a auto fit of the basic sonic mold along with tails and amy. And then theres shadow, people don't have any idea how to feel when Shadow is put in the for front for no reason, other than complain or praise his appearance.

Somehow rouge is easily casual friendly and adapts with basic sonic fan media  more than shadow does for some reason. But Shadow has it harder than her, he needs to make more of a great first impression in the fans eyes in how he's portrayed compared to other characters since he's the most controversial character with the most pressure to appease the fans.

This is pretty much why shadow needs to have prominence in more games if not more appearances, especially in New sonic media. It would help fans approach him more like the others in being a popular figure that justifies his 2nd place as a essential sonic character plus has a more respected status that grants him a automatic reverence as a status quo for sonic.