Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

3 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

This may or may not be my last post on this topic. Because at this point highly likely no news on this film will matter to me as I have enough info about the movie to know it is already among the type of movies that I hate most…. Which means I won’t have much left meaningful to say and I’m not a fan of sticking around and ranting on something I hate endlessly as that kind of behavior is a true waste of life in my opinion. So excuse the wall of text. I needed to get this rant off my chest.

I’ve wanted a true Sonic Movie ever since back in the 90s… The Sonic OVA was good enough at the time, but it was not a full movie and it was ages ago now anyways. I’ve always been a huge fan of art and never cared to much for live action media in general with some exceptions. Especially as a big cartoon style fan it’s part of why Sonic was so appealing to me to start with… So seeing Sonic get the same live action butchering treatment that has no respect for the source material similar to what the old horrible Mario movie and many others got is among the biggest media related disappointments in my life. It literally doesn’t matter to me if the movie ends up getting decent reviews in the end, because personally this movie will never be even 30% of what I can put up with for Sonic…

I try very hard not to be to harsh on the Sonic franchise overall, I try to even give the known to be bad Sonic games a chance often… Sonic 06 being the only true Sonic game I flat-out hate… with other kinda bad ones like Sonic Forces I just find to be merely a disappointment and don‘t actually hate it… But this movie? Hell no! there is NOTHING there for me! I know It’s obvious this movie isn’t for fans, it’s mainly for casuals who barely know Sonic. Then again that’s not news because live action movies almost never are for the fans, and that is why fans often hate any live action movies loosely based after their fave non-real style media. Just give a quick look at the Dragon ball evolution movie and it’s no surprise why the fans and even the Dragon ball creator himself hated it to death. And seriously why should the average fan enjoy seeing something they love mutilated and turned into something else barely resembling it’s original self? Of course many fans wouldn’t!

Dude I’m totally not even a fan of the bad joke that was them trying to crossover wacky simplistic Mickey Mouse type style characters and sit them next to semi-realistic final fantasy humans on Sonic 06... Mixing completely different art styles together in one product is among the worse choices you can make typically...

Part of me kinda hopes this movie flops hard just so that they never try to make another live action Sonic movie. I stand against all movies of this type generally, so of course I don‘t want to see more of them! And yes If I had to choose this or nothing… I’d go with nothing. I can only hope that we still get a animated Sonic movie in the future regardless if the upcoming movie does good or badly. But for now that dream is dead. At least Nintendo is doing the preferable choice by making their upcoming movie fully animated, I can only hope SEGA follows their example later on. Another part of me almost wants to partially blame that awful fan made movie a few years ago, because while I can't be sure... I feel it was what inspired this real movie to get made somehow despite how much Sonic fans bashed that fan film... I think I remember reading Sonic Team saw it and thought it was cool.

Also I don’t agree with the opinion some folk have that a animated Sonic movie would require a lower age rating and be only for kids… I dono about others but I watch tons of PG-13 and R rated animated media… Sure it’s mostly anime because Japan has a far less narrow view then many westerners on the subject. Regardless there are still mature animations made for westerners out there… And while PG-13 animated movies are a little rare over here, they still happen and exist… it’s starting to become more common for animated films too because nowadays PG-13 movies in general are slowly becoming more of the standard for all movies.

As a note. I am not saying anybody here or anywhere shouldn’t enjoy this upcoming Sonic movie. Enjoy what you want, you don’t need my blessings obviously. I truly don’t believe in stepping on other folk’s fun. But at the same time I sure as ale don’t gotta like the concept of the movie or agree with anybody that anything about it was a good idea. :L

You are entitled to your own opinion. It's good of you to allow others to have their fun. Stay cool. 

3 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

I see where your getting at here but here's the issue I have with this logic. Shadow needs to be be pushed in the exposed limelight to spark interest in hyping his anticipated appearance, and has to leave such a memorable impact, he makes the fans left with promising hopes, he'll show up in the next game regardless of the how he's used as a character.

Why? The Joker didn't need to appear in Batman Begins for people to be hyped about his inclusion in the sequel. Thanos barley needed 30 seconds of screen-time across 20 movies and people were still frothing at the mouth to see what he was going to do in Infinity War. Shadow doesn't need the early limelight any more than either of these characters, and they both had plenty of impact on the viewing audience at large.

Just throwing him in front and center in the first movie makes no sense for a character like Shadow.

He's still the same polarizing figure in a lot of people's knowledge of their own sonic experience. Pretty much no one naturally expects him in the plot anymore with Sonic, tails, knuckles, amy and eggman. This is due to Shadow being a non intergral factor of selling Sonics fundamental image to consumers and shadow is put on a bus to b list sonic characters as a result of having less official game status in the games.

I find it really hard to take a statement like that seriously when you look at how the last game was marketed.

Not only was Episode Shadow a key selling point (complete with playable Shadow and its own cutscenes), not only was Shadow used as schmuck bait in the villain reveal teaser, but guess which Sonic character was the only character in this franchise to get a themed Pre-Order Bonus Bodysuit. Yep Shadow.

Come to think of it - all the other bodysuits you can get in the game (either unlock-able or other pre-order bonuses) None of the other Sonic cast are represented. The only Sonic Character specific bodysuit you can own in Forces is Shadow. That hardly sounds like a fast track to b list character. He's leveraged as hard as anyone outside Sonic and Classic Sonic.

Shoot, even the recent reveal trailer for Sonic Racing has Shadow plastered front and center alongside Sonic. For a character that isn't the franchise lead, Shadow sure does get quite a bit of usage. I don't see where you can say Sega isn't utilizing him as a selling point, when his face is on so much stuff.

and all that's still with Shadow being a no-show in 99% of the story in the previous 6 or 7 main games. That doesn't seem to be hurting his marketability. Like at all. He's still everywhere else.

People have to start giving a crap about Shadow on a (main 4) level if people want to gain a essential interest in him, he's still behind knuckles in being fully respected by casuals that don't question his own appearances in New sonic content, as he's a auto fit of the basic sonic mold along with tails and amy. And then theres shadow, people don't have any idea how to feel when Shadow is put in the for front for no reason, other than complain or praise his appearance.

People already give a crap about Shadow on a main 4 level. He's the second most popular character in the canon for crying out loud. People couldn't care anymore without supplanting the guy the series is named after.

Somehow rouge is easily casual friendly and adapts with basic sonic fan media  more than shadow does for some reason. But Shadow has it harder than her, he needs to make more of a great first impression in the fans eyes in how he's portrayed compared to other characters since he's the most controversial character with the most pressure to appease the fans.

First off, fan media really needs to be pushed into its own corner. Rouge's popularity there can be attributed to a host of other factors... with one factor in particular being an obvious catalyst. You can't compare that to anything else. It is its own can of worms.

Secondly, any burden Shadow has to make a great first impression is supported by the writers/developers/move execs taking the time to build up to a proper reveal, rather than just dumping him in out lap and waiting for results. There is a difference in setting up a character for success than just throwing out a product and hoping for the best. If you want something to succeed than you should invest in it. Time is an investment and if you give Shadow time to be an over-soul in the background - then he'll weigh that much more on you when the time comes for him to step in.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I’ve wanted a true Sonic Movie ever since back in the 90s… The Sonic OVA was good enough at the time, but it was not a full movie and it was ages ago now anyways. I’ve always been a huge fan of art and never cared to much for live action media in general with some exceptions. Especially as a big cartoon style fan it’s part of why Sonic was so appealing to me to start with… So seeing Sonic get the same live action butchering treatment that has no respect for the source material similar to what the old horrible Mario movie and many others got is among the biggest media related disappointments in my life. It literally doesn’t matter to me if the movie ends up getting decent reviews in the end, because personally this movie will never be even 30% of what I can put up with for Sonic…

You know, I don't care if I die on this hill but i'll say it anyway cause your statement resonates so much with me.  This movie should've been an animated SatAM movie as Ben Hurst, one of the main writers of the series intended in 1998.  Hell, as much I despite the dude, Ill even give Ken Pender's 2002 Sonic concept the benefit of the doubt cause at least it sounded more faithful to the Sonic lore than this convoluted mess we're stuck with now. 

When I invested several years tackling a similar endeavor from 2005-2011, it was going to be 2D animated and centered on Sonic's world and characters.  The only human should just be Robotnik/Eggman. 

I know my fan film continues to get flak and memed, but damn it was the most exhausting project Ive ever worked on.  Its frustrating how close it was in getting made but oh well.  That ship has LOONNNNNG sailed and Ive moved on to other things I'm passionate about.  But since it has been nearly a decade and opinions can change over time, Im curious to know how this still holds up: 

Yep.  2011.  The year I officially left the Sonic fanbase and havent looked back...until somewhat recently.  Why?  Cause ever since this live action movie got announced, its rekindled my interest in Sonic again.  That childhood dream that many would discuss on ancient AOL chatrooms and SonicHQ message boards, has finally became a reality.  A Hollywood produced Sonic movie seemed like a pipe dream, but here we are after a 20+ years.  Now that so much info has been dumped on us, I just cant really get excited.  Maybe for it being hilariously bad, but another side me feels deceived.  Hell, I dont even think Jim Carry can save a horrible script.   

Remember, fans of this franchise, since 1991 have waited so long for this moment and it reads like a rejected cliche buddy cop story with Sonic injected in it.  Its just a painted by numbers live action/CG cartoon animal movie with NOTHING that relates to anything iconic of the franchise aside from the brand name and the character.  Yes, as much it pains me to say it, regardless of much Paramount has denied it, this is another Smurfs//Chipmunks/Garfield/Transformers crapheap.  Its almost insulting if you think about it, cause its clear as crystal, that the team working on this film never did their research and are only cashing in on a popular IP.  Its sad to say, but I doubt any future Sonic movie is going to top the Sonic OVA.

Id say a more feasible idea at this point, is to have SEGA strike a deal with Netflix and fund Tyson Hesse and his crew to animate either a Sonic Mania movie/series, or pull a Twin Peaks and do a Season 3 of SatAM.  25 years later, it happens again, and its way past cool!

Just give me an enthralling storyline, engaging characters and an immersive fantasy world.  Is it really that hard?  I guess what Im driving at is that this doesn't have to be a disaster.  It just needs the right people involved.             

• Promotion 1

On 7/9/2018 at 12:22 AM, CaptainRobo said:

I expect the movie to have a lot of action with some humor. In case, you don't know, Jeff Fowler who worked with Tim Miller on cutscenes for Sonic 06 like this one.:

Kjg1.gif

They also work on cutscenes for Shadow the Hedgehog. Here is proof that they worked on it.:

Reveal hidden contents

h4rl4l4ej9vx.png

Just to let you know this will be his first feature film that he will be directing. The only other film that he had directed is a short film called Gopher Broke. Tim Miller also worked on that too.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw-W1K68Sd4

That was honestly one of the best openings ever.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

That was honestly one of the best openings ever.

Agreed. That and the opening to Unleashed. 

• Fist Bump 1

Even though, the movie is bad, at least the animation and the action in the movie will be enjoyable to watch.

6 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Even though, the movie is bad, at least the animation and the action in the movie will be enjoyable to watch.

The movie isn't even out yet. We don't know for sure if it'll suck. 

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, STK77 said:

The movie isn't even out yet. We don't know for sure if it'll suck. 

I know that, but because of the movie is Live Action/CGI hybrid, there is a high chance that it will be bad. Most of the Live Action/CGI hybrid movies were never good.  I just think that the animation and the action will probably be the only good outcomes of this. I mean we have Tim Miller, Marza, Blur Studio and the guy who does the Fast and Furious films who are all involved in this. Tim’s partner, Jeff Fowler who worked at Blur Studio with him is directing the film, he does have some animation skills. So, I don’t really expect this movie to be perfect, but I expect this to be a dumb fun movie like the Fate of the Furious. The movie was dumb, but it was fun. 

• Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

I know that, but because of the movie is Live Action/CGI hybrid, there is a high chance that it will be bad. Most of the Live Action/CGI hybrid movies were never good.  I just think that the animation and the action will probably be the only good outcomes of this. I mean we have Tim Miller, Marza, Blur Studio and the guy who does the Fast and Furious films who are all involved in this. Tim’s partner, Jeff Fowler who worked at Blur Studio with him is directing the film, he does have some animation skills. So, I don’t really expect this movie to be perfect, but I expect this to be a dumb fun movie like the Fate of the Furious. The movie was dumb, but it was fun. 

Fair enough. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

I'm pretty sure that Eggman portrayed by Jim Carrey will be the only saving grace of the film, much like seeing Bison being performed by Raul Julia or Skeletor by Frank Langella in Masters of the Universe (why do the bad guys always get the best actors to play their roles? Not that I'm complaining, lol).

At the very least, I hope for the Sonic movie to be the same kind of "it's so bad that is good" like the Street Fighter live action movie.

tumblr_pbq4tb9ENn1rplhyso1_540.jpg.f85f1344579b80833c4260cbbe1378d5.jpg

Production image of the Sonic movie crew in Ladysmith. People keep referring to the town as the movie's "hero town". What does that mean? Can anyone explain?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, STK77 said:

Production image of the Sonic movie crew in Ladysmith. People keep referring to the town as the movie's "hero town". What does that mean? Can anyone explain?

Something about being the main version of a thing or better quality/more detailed. You could have a chair in a scene be a hero chair while being sat on changed out for a breakable stunt chair when it needs to break in a fight scene.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, STK77 said:

Source for the pic?

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, STK77 said:

Hmmm. Interesting. What they could been doing there? I thought filming in the town doesn't start until mid-September.

Filming will take place starting in mid-September for somewhere in the range of eight to 11 days along First Avenue, between Roberts Street and Gatacre Street.

https://www.ladysmithchronicle.com/news/paramount-budgets-7m-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-shoot-in-hero-town-ladysmith/

Source for the picture is from this.:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlEFgo7jjkv/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=fmsk8b9ifnlu

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

9 hours ago, STK77 said:

The first picture of the Sonic movie crew.

14 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Hmmm. Interesting. What they could been doing there? I thought filming in the town doesn't start until mid-September.

Filming will take place starting in mid-September for somewhere in the range of eight to 11 days along First Avenue, between Roberts Street and Gatacre Street.

https://www.ladysmithchronicle.com/news/paramount-budgets-7m-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-shoot-in-hero-town-ladysmith/

Source for the picture is from this.:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlEFgo7jjkv/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=fmsk8b9ifnlu

Filming may not take place until September, but that doesn't mean there isn't planning and photography that can be done in advance to streamline the filming process later. Also, any visual and on site information they can gather now can be used to further refine the storyboard as well.

41 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I hope we get a look at the production logo for the movie soon 

Me too. I'm happy that we're at least seeing some progress on the making of the movie though. 

• Fist Bump 1

4 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

The first picture of the Sonic movie crew.

Theyre all wearing blue.

• Way Past Cool 1

16 hours ago, STK77 said:

Most likely the main setting of the movie, the cop's hometown to be exact.

• Thumbs Up 2

Jim Carrey as Eggman sounds pretty good to me. Some might say that this choice prevents the movie from having a darker tone but, let's be real now, the movie was never gonna be especially dark anyway. There is just no way that we were ever going to see something like Batman Begins featuring a cartoon hedgehog. 

And speaking of Batman, Jim Carrey did a fine job as The Riddler in Batman Forever, a movie that balanced bewteen relative darkness and complete goofyness. So having Carrey play the main villain in a movie is not a guarantee that the movie is going to be ENTIRELY silly. We can probably asume that Eggman will be a silly character, but that doesn't mean that other parts of the film can't be played somewhat seriously. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1