Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

As Van said - Movie Sonic will not be classic Sonic, he will not he modern Sonic, he will not be Boom Sonic. He will be his OWN character; a new interpretation of the character.  

Good. I think that will be really good because game Sonic is just not fit for a movie. I think he would benefit from a different perspective.

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I don't mean to come across as ignorant or patronizing, but could you clarify what you mean by loosening up and not being so strict with themselves.

I mean that many Sonic fans aren't okay with new ideas. They see something that's even a little different from the source material, and they freak out an immediately get cynical. They don't leave any room for new ideas to receive a warm welcome or even a little encouragement. 

• Thumbs Up 1

But if he doesn't have black eyes, or green eyes, or peach arms, or blue arms, then.. does he not have eyes or arms at all??

The way that the fans don't like any type of creative freedom from the developers is the reason why Sonic will never be as good as we wanted. They just need to stop listening to fans, they need to do things out of passion, what THEY want for the series. Passion almost always ends up in good things, or even if is not what we wanted, we can see that passion was in those projects.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

The way that the fans don't like any type of creative freedom from the developers is the reason why Sonic will never be as good as we wanted. They just need to stop listening to fans, they need to do things out of passion, what THEY want for the series. Passion almost always ends up in good things, or even if is not what we wanted, we can see that passion was in those projects.

Yeah, and there's a lot of passion I'm seeing from the people writing this film. I'm hoping that the passion translates into something better than anyone is expecting for this movie. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Also, I'm actually looking forward to this movie cuz is actually something fresh and new, is not Green Hill again, is not the Pontaff writing again, is not drowned in nostalgia and that to me already makes me interested. Could be bad? Yes. Still interested.

• Thumbs Up 5

I thought you'd might appreciate a fan take on how the costuming for Dr. Carreyman could look like. I'm coming out of it thinking he looks like the Nathan Barnatt Robotnik, heheheeheheheeehee~ 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

8 hours ago, STK77 said:

Pleasing Sonic fans is virtually impossible. 

Not really. Sonic Mania's criticial and player scores are high and commercially did no worse than Forces considering its budget. This meme of Sonic players being this wild mob that Sonic Team has to scorn to produce good games is just the old apologism for ST's screwups.

5 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

In which case Sonic will become even more of a laughingstock considering how little of Modern Sonic was drawn from honest appraisal of what's desired in the playerbase. And even if you can bring up an example of drawing from them with honest appraisal, the plan for what to do with the info would end up as Sonic Team being Sonic Team (see them hearing of the backlash against the alternate play styles and gimmicks of the Adventure Era then figuring to make only Sonic playable while still putting in those gimmicks and alternate play styles).

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

Also, I'm actually looking forward to this movie cuz is actually something fresh and new, is not Green Hill again, is not the Pontaff writing again, is not drowned in nostalgia and that to me already makes me interested. Could be bad? Yes. Still interested.

Agreed!

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Here is an cool and bad ass fan art of Sonic and the sheriff that I found.:

D45D4972-2425-49A5-A3F9-C77460E65B5F.thumb.jpeg.2292a14b358ee03e921a92322f7f2c8c.jpeg

Source:https://twitter.com/demx_hax/status/1022996293763956736

They look really good together. I love the dynamic.

Sonic will never get better as long as you aren't going to call on his handlers to do better. And Forces' writing wasn't good regardless of Pontaff.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Almar said:

Sonic will never get better as long as you aren't going to call on his handlers to do better. And Forces' writing wasn't good regardless of Pontaff.

Something being "good" isn't solely determined by the creator; it also relies on how the viewer perceives it. Sonic fans are so divided that if Sega puts something out aimed to please the fans, there will still be a loud crowd that will scream it's terrible. Unfortunately, it's the louder, negative side that is heard more than the folks who enjoy it. 

Having the fans hound on Sega until the fans "get what they want" isn't going to do squat because of how the fanbase is. Sega will put out whatever it wants to put out. Too many people feel they're entitled to "guiding" Sega in the right direction. In reality, that kind of behavior from a fanbase as divided as this one will only tear it apart. 

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what I realized? I realized that the house that they are going to filmed next week is right next to the beach where they will be also filming.:

Capture3.JPG.b321a6ff380b70d6ba7a1ccfd2e08ab2.JPG

Anyway, I think anybody who don't like the way that the movie is going probably might need to read this.:

https://twitter.com/Treyancily/status/1021910447908421633

I wonder if Sonic Drive-In is going to do a promotional tie-in for the movie. Maybe they could give away free chili dogs on the day the movie is released. LOL. That would be funny and an coincidence, if that happened.:

sonic-3-1132461-regular%2Bsonic%2Bhot%2Bdog%2Bcoupon%2Bsonic.jpg

They did it once for the last Transformers movie, which was distributed by Paramount.:

unnamed-jpg.27730116

Also, maybe we could get a prequel comic for the movie as well. IDW did make tie-in comics for movies before.:

APR0737671.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Almar said:

But...he was tortured for 6 months!!!!!

2 hours ago, STK77 said:

Something being "good" isn't solely determined by the creator; it also relies on how the viewer perceives it. Sonic fans are so divided that if Sega puts something out aimed to please the fans, there will still be a loud crowd that will scream it's terrible. Unfortunately, it's the louder, negative side that is heard more than the folks who enjoy it.

The reviews for Sonic Mania says otherwise.

2 hours ago, STK77 said:

Having the fans hound on Sega until the fans "get what they want" isn't going to do squat because of how the fanbase is.

Considering ST has never sincerely listened to the payerbase beyond fanservice, I'm not sure what you mean here.

2 hours ago, STK77 said:

Sega will put out whatever it wants to put out.

You mean Sonic Team. Sega of Japan doesn't care about Sonic. And we saw how that worked out (Sonic goes from the biggest name in gaming short of Mario to a punchline).

2 hours ago, STK77 said:

In reality, that kind of behavior from a fanbase as divided as this one will only tear it apart.  

The franchise is already torn apart thanks to Sonic's handlers refusing to establish hard rules on Sonic's tone, visuals, and gameplay until it was too late. Them retconning effectively every game before Unleashed into happening in another dimension (Genesis era) or another planet (games with non-Eggman humans) shows how fractured the series is. And ST from all evidence is shoving all the conflicting elements of Sonic into their own little worlds.

• Thumbs Up 4

Stumbled across this website which talks a bit more on the filming they have planned in Ladysmith. They are currently looking for extras.

http://www.ladysmithcofc.com/sonic-filming-ladysmith-september-2018-july-24-update/

And this little tidbit caught my eye.. HMMM..

During our night filming, additional noise may also be heard in the area due to simulated Special Effects. More details to
follow.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't care about "hard rules" anymore cuz those hard rules is what brought us Forces. One of the most souless games in the series. And Mania while the best Sonic game imo, another game doing the exact same thing, won't cut it. Mania is just a fraction of what the Mania Team can do. Those hard rules only limit this franchise from taking off.

Again. They need to stop listening to the fans. That's what has been hurting them. And I'm grateful for the movie being something new, that no one asked for it. It doesn't appeal to any section. And is not just because it doesn't appeal to these two cursed sections doesn't mean is gonna be good.

On a slightly different note, should the writing of the movie provide enjoyable characterizations of the existing cast (Sonic, Eggman, etc.) and enjoyable movie exclusive characters, what do you expect, if anything, SEGA/Sonic Team will want to lift from the movie for the main franchise?

7 hours ago, Almar said:

The reviews for Sonic Mania says otherwise.

Considering ST has never sincerely listened to the payerbase beyond fanservice, I'm not sure what you mean here.

You mean Sonic Team. Sega of Japan doesn't care about Sonic. And we saw how that worked out (Sonic goes from the biggest name in gaming short of Mario to a punchline).

The franchise is already torn apart thanks to Sonic's handlers refusing to establish hard rules on Sonic's tone, visuals, and gameplay until it was too late. Them retconning effectively every game before Unleashed into happening in another dimension (Genesis era) or another planet (games with non-Eggman humans) shows how fractured the series is. And ST from all evidence is shoving all the conflicting elements of Sonic into their own little worlds.

Okay, so what is your point? It's obvious we have very different viewpoints, so what are you saying should be done? 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, STK77 said:

Okay, so what is your point? It's obvious we have very different viewpoints, so what are you saying should be done? 

How about stop making terrible decisions that caused for this game franchise to go from having the potential to not only match, but even surpass the Super Mario franchise to become the punch line of jokes in the gaming industry/community?

29 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

How about stop making terrible decisions that caused for this game franchise to go from having the potential to not only match, but even surpass the Super Mario franchise to become the punch line of jokes in the gaming industry/community?

Hey, if you don't like what Sega puts out, no one is forcing you to stay. 

6 minutes ago, STK77 said:

A fair argument but counter-intuitive to the fact that SEGA want's his money and the fact that SEGA believes they need this movie to revitalize the brand when it did indeed used to have a rival to Mario standing with imagery that was as recognizable if not arguably more so than Mickey Mouse. The fact that he want's SEGA to still give him a reason to take his money also kind of speaks volumes about how much he still finds enjoyment from this franchise.

- - - - -

On topic, historically, Sonic does not have a good track record with human characters, besides Eggman, with most of his relationships boiling down to cheesy one-sided romances or Sonic taking the role of moral support and role model. Since in this movie it has been hinted at that Sonic is the one in need of a role model and the plot outline so far could be taken as kind of questionable in handling it better, what could be done to make this an engaging and exciting dynamic considering ability-wise our cop will never be able to join Sonic in combat in any believable role besides the cliched he does one minor thing that helps. As much as I'm not positive about the movie on a whole, I think that would disappoint most movie goers. Maybe a better idea would be to let him get his hands on an Eggman mech both so he can do something a little more than the bare minimum and maybe to answer in part how Eggman is able to put up a fight against Sonic with his various mechs.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

A fair argument but counter-intuitive to the fact that SEGA want's his money and the fact that SEGA believes they need this movie to revitalize the brand when it did indeed used to have a rival to Mario standing with imagery that was as recognizable if not arguably more so than Mickey Mouse. The fact that he want's SEGA to still give him a reason to take his money also kind of speaks volumes about how much he still finds enjoyment from this franchise.

- - - - -

On topic, historically, Sonic does not have a good track record with human characters, besides Eggman, with most of his relationships boiling down to cheesy one-sided romances or Sonic taking the role of moral support and role model. Since in this movie it has been hinted at that Sonic is the one in need of a role model and the plot outline so far could be taken as kind of questionable in handling it better, what could be done to make this an engaging and exciting dynamic considering ability-wise our cop will never be able to join Sonic in combat in any believable role besides the cliched he does one minor thing that helps. As much as I'm not positive about the movie on a whole, I think that would disappoint most movie goers. Maybe a better idea would be to let him get his hands on an Eggman mech both so he can do something a little more than the bare minimum and maybe to answer in part how Eggman is able to put up a fight against Sonic with his various mechs.

I'm hoping they do a bit of a change on Sonic's part to make him more realistic personality-wise. Tom may be a good way to balance that, but there's no telling how he'll be in the movie until we get more information. 

Here is all the movie info of what the website are saying.:

Spoiler

Dear Residents and Merchants of Ladysmith, a.k.a. Home of the “Greatest Street” in Canada,

We’re following up on our May 24th communication. Again, we wish to thank everyone for welcoming Hedgehog Films
Inc., to your wonderful Town of Ladysmith. As I mentioned, during my initial visit in early May, “Sonic the Hedgehog” is
a family film for Paramount Pictures Studios, set in a lovely small town. Our creative team scouted many towns in B.C.,
and felt Ladysmith had the most charm and fit our characters creatively.

We intend to film in Ladysmith based on the following schedule.

Soft Prep
Sept 4 to 8 (painting various buildings, gaining rooftop access for lighting preparations, etc)
Hard Prep
Sept 10 to 13 (removing various awnings, adjusting store fronts, continuing rooftop access for lighting equipment
and laying electrical cables in various alleys, etc.)
Filming
(Road Closures)
Sept 14 (Friday 6am to 9pm)
Sept 17 – 18 (Mon/Tues 3pm to 4am)
Sept 19 – 23 (Wed to Sunday 5pm to 7am)
During our night filming, additional lighting will make the area brighter than usual.
Tidy Up
Sept 24 – 26 (returning to original condition)

During our night filming, additional noise may also be heard in the area due to simulated Special Effects. More details to
follow. Please review map on the reverse for clarity of proposed closures, detours and parking. We have been mindful of our
footprint and have requested only what is required to successfully complete our work. Also included are select areas
where we’ve indicated the use of ‘drones.’ They will not be flown up and down the street, but will simply be directed
straight up to obtain high angle shots of the “Town.” We do recognize that our presence will cause disruption for Ladysmith residents and business, and we encourage you to reach out to us with any concerns or challenges you may have. We have been working closely with City Hall to
provide alternative parking locations, and we will communicate these matters as we get closer to filming. I have been
advised that the Town will be setting aside some parking spots for people who live along 1st Avenue and who normally
park in the lot behind the Travellers Hotel and the laneway below the Little League Field. I encourage you to call City
Hall at 250-245-6400 for more information about this. In the meantime, should you have any immediate questions or concerns, please contact me at
soniclocations@gmail.com. If not able to email, please try me at our Burnaby production office at 604-637-1260 and
ask for anyone in the Locations Department. General Information regarding filming on Vancouver Island (North) may be
obtained by contacting the Community Engagement Manager at the Vancouver Island North Film Commission, at 250-
287-2772 or their web site at www.infilm.ca. Hedgehog Films Inc. is committed to provide you with information to help you prepare for our arrival and anticipate how our filming activity might affect your daily routine(s). As of July 23rd, a representative will be in the area to introduce
themselves and will be your direct line of contact throughout our film activities. Once again, thank you for your warm welcome and continued support of the British Columbia Film Industry.

Background Performers:
We will be looking for local folks to work as extras during our filming in Ladysmith. Anyone interested in participating as a
“background performer” may apply by simply going to our website www.bcfcasting.com and filling out a profile page.
Please forward your applications to HedgehogBGcasting@gmail.com. We will require everyone to do this as part of
the casting process. This is a free paperless casting service we use to contact the performers, we are not agents, so no
fees will be charged. Performers may add photos, information about themselves and also update their availability. We
will be in contact if we can cast them in our film work in Ladysmith. We also plan to set up a casting session in town in
the next few weeks, so please do look out for that information.

Sincerely,
Abraham Fraser,
Supervising Location Manager

“SONIC” | Hedgehog Films Inc.
2880 Underhill Ave., Burnaby, BC, V5A 3C5
Tel: 604-637-1260 Fax: 604-420-0083

Here is the link again, since the link lead to this site, instead to the town's website.:

Source: http://www.ladysmithcofc.com/sonic-filming-ladysmith-september-2018-july-24-update/

Here is the movie logo which it is blue.:

897071413_SonicLogo.JPG.95de26de1b6dca2cf28610cad6577dbd.JPG

Source: http://www.ladysmithcofc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/SONIC-Filming-Ladysmith-September-2018-July-24-Update.pdf

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Here is all the movie info of what the website are saying.:

Reveal hidden contents

Dear Residents and Merchants of Ladysmith, a.k.a. Home of the “Greatest Street” in Canada,

We’re following up on our May 24th communication. Again, we wish to thank everyone for welcoming Hedgehog Films
Inc., to your wonderful Town of Ladysmith. As I mentioned, during my initial visit in early May, “Sonic the Hedgehog” is
a family film for Paramount Pictures Studios, set in a lovely small town. Our creative team scouted many towns in B.C.,
and felt Ladysmith had the most charm and fit our characters creatively.

We intend to film in Ladysmith based on the following schedule.

Soft Prep
Sept 4 to 8 (painting various buildings, gaining rooftop access for lighting preparations, etc)
Hard Prep
Sept 10 to 13 (removing various awnings, adjusting store fronts, continuing rooftop access for lighting equipment
and laying electrical cables in various alleys, etc.)
Filming
(Road Closures)
Sept 14 (Friday 6am to 9pm)
Sept 17 – 18 (Mon/Tues 3pm to 4am)
Sept 19 – 23 (Wed to Sunday 5pm to 7am)
During our night filming, additional lighting will make the area brighter than usual.
Tidy Up
Sept 24 – 26 (returning to original condition)

follow. Please review map on the reverse for clarity of proposed closures, detours and parking. We have been mindful of our
footprint and have requested only what is required to successfully complete our work. Also included are select areas
where we’ve indicated the use of ‘drones.’ They will not be flown up and down the street, but will simply be directed
straight up to obtain high angle shots of the “Town.” We do recognize that our presence will cause disruption for Ladysmith residents and business, and we encourage you to reach out to us with any concerns or challenges you may have. We have been working closely with City Hall to
provide alternative parking locations, and we will communicate these matters as we get closer to filming. I have been
advised that the Town will be setting aside some parking spots for people who live along 1st Avenue and who normally
park in the lot behind the Travellers Hotel and the laneway below the Little League Field. I encourage you to call City
Hall at 250-245-6400 for more information about this. In the meantime, should you have any immediate questions or concerns, please contact me at
soniclocations@gmail.com. If not able to email, please try me at our Burnaby production office at 604-637-1260 and
ask for anyone in the Locations Department. General Information regarding filming on Vancouver Island (North) may be
obtained by contacting the Community Engagement Manager at the Vancouver Island North Film Commission, at 250-
287-2772 or their web site at www.infilm.ca. Hedgehog Films Inc. is committed to provide you with information to help you prepare for our arrival and anticipate how our filming activity might affect your daily routine(s). As of July 23rd, a representative will be in the area to introduce
themselves and will be your direct line of contact throughout our film activities. Once again, thank you for your warm welcome and continued support of the British Columbia Film Industry.

Background Performers:
We will be looking for local folks to work as extras during our filming in Ladysmith. Anyone interested in participating as a
“background performer” may apply by simply going to our website www.bcfcasting.com and filling out a profile page.
Please forward your applications to HedgehogBGcasting@gmail.com. We will require everyone to do this as part of
the casting process. This is a free paperless casting service we use to contact the performers, we are not agents, so no
fees will be charged. Performers may add photos, information about themselves and also update their availability. We
will be in contact if we can cast them in our film work in Ladysmith. We also plan to set up a casting session in town in
the next few weeks, so please do look out for that information.

Sincerely,
Abraham Fraser,
Supervising Location Manager

“SONIC” | Hedgehog Films Inc.
2880 Underhill Ave., Burnaby, BC, V5A 3C5
Tel: 604-637-1260 Fax: 604-420-0083

Here is the link again, since the link lead to this site, instead to the town's website.:

Source: http://www.ladysmithcofc.com/sonic-filming-ladysmith-september-2018-july-24-update/

Here is the movie logo which it is blue.:

897071413_SonicLogo.JPG.95de26de1b6dca2cf28610cad6577dbd.JPG

Source: http://www.ladysmithcofc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/SONIC-Filming-Ladysmith-September-2018-July-24-Update.pdf

If this the logo that gonna be used on the movie, it's too simple. Action-packed should have more detailed logo.

Time to make this logo 3D again.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

I don't care about "hard rules" anymore cuz those hard rules is what brought us Forces.

Like, bringing back much of the cast only for them to largely be cheerleaders? Making Knuckles the Resistance Leader instead of say, Vector,  only for him to blunder and still be a punchline? Having a Legion of Doom only for them to both be illusions and have just about no drama or mystery to their formation?

You read Sonic Forces as just ST "listening to fans." Rather than just ST doing whatever and giving the illusion (har) of listening.

17 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

And Mania while the best Sonic game imo, another game doing the exact same thing, won't cut it. Mania is just a fraction of what the Mania Team can do. Those hard rules only limit this franchise from taking off.

Your "No rules do whateva" is what got Sonic in the mess he is today. Iizuka even talked about how his posse don't look back to past Sonic games when it comes to how they play.

19 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

Again. They need to stop listening to the fans. That's what has been hurting them. And I'm grateful for the movie being something new, that no one asked for it. It doesn't appeal to any section. And is not just because it doesn't appeal to these two cursed sections doesn't mean is gonna be good. 

Beyond sticking characters like Silver in games like Forces, when did they "listen to the fans"? Was it when Ow the Edge came out? Or Sonic the Disaster (06)?

15 hours ago, STK77 said:

What's needed requires a different ST or an effectively different ST.

9 hours ago, STK77 said:

How Donald Trumplike.

• Thumbs Up 1