Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, Almar said:

Like, bringing back much of the cast only for them to largely be cheerleaders? Making Knuckles the Resistance Leader instead of say, Vector,  only for him to blunder and still be a punchline? Having a Legion of Doom only for them to both be illusions and have just about no drama or mystery to their formation?

You read Sonic Forces as just ST "listening to fans." Rather than just ST doing whatever and giving the illusion (har) of listening.

Your "No rules do whateva" is what got Sonic in the mess he is today. Iizuka even talked about how his posse don't look back to past Sonic games when it comes to how they play.

Beyond sticking characters like Silver in games like Forces, when did they "listen to the fans"? Was it when Ow the Edge came out? Or Sonic the Disaster (06)?

What's needed requires a different ST or an effectively different ST.

I explained my stance on "they don't listen to fans" yesterday in status updates, but the gist of it is that the problem is not that they don't listen to fans at all. It's the other way around - they listen to too much white noise without any sort of focus and only on a surface level, and that's been going on for years now. You're implying that there's only that one subset of fans that have either the exact same or very similar opinion to yours, when it's completely false. Many people asked for boost formula, many people asked for more than just Sonic playable, many asked for more serious story, etc. Hence the "don't listen to fans" part (though now that I think about it, "don't listen to white noise" would be a more correct sentence, even if it applies to most of the fanbase and outside community anyway).

I'm sure you'll still disagree with that, and that's fine, cuz even if ST do block off that vocal white noise, it's not a guarantee that their game will be good. I just disagree with the notion "they never listen" that's been pushed around. I've never seen such company that listens to so much white noise like Sonic Team (or SoJ I guess).

How Donald Trumplike.

Now this was completely unnecessary. Don't be that guy.

EDIT: I'm really sorry for reinstigating the off-topic again, so to mitigate that, I'll probably tell my opinion on the movie based on the news we got.

I'm not sure if I talked about Jim Carrey as Eggman, so I'll start with that. At first I was completely against that, but later on I got somewhat warmed up to the choice. He's a good actor, and Eggman has pretty much always been the best character in the series, so if the same happens with this movie, I won't mind at all.

That said, I'm still very skeptical on the movie as a whole, because I haven't seen anything that'd make me think otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 5

I already commented on ST listening to white noise, as you call it:

On 10/12/2017 at 10:46 AM, Almar said:

What really gets to me is ST's bratty and sarcastic way of addressing criticism. Once the formula for proper Sonic gameplay was wrecked by mixing in poorly fitting styles attached to select characters (Big, Knuckles, etc), players unsurprisingly complained. Sega or Sonic Team could not have dealt with these pleas any worse; they hear "we hate the new characters for how they play, original Sonic gameplay was best" and so they respond by excluding EVERY character except Sonic, with the rest of the hero cast there in small ways (all while having Sonic use the polarizing styles anyway). Then they go bring back about all of the hero characters at once into a game yet still only Sonic is playable. Outrage continues and Sonic Team acts cross-eyed, saying "hurr we don't understand what the problem is we did what you said hurr"

They overcompensate for the backlash against Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 (and to a lesser level the Sonic Adventure games) with their edgyness and focus on human characters (namely Elise) by making the Sonic franchise after sorta reboot Unleashed awkwardly self-aware or otherwise wonky in tone. Next we have the Two Worlds retcon (that also has doses of Iizuka being territorial).

They can't seem to swallow their pride and admit their passive aggression, bitterness, territorial behavior or whatever is pushing their actions. The key is careful moderation. The Genesis Sonic Trilogy each introduced one new character, who followed the more or less the same gameplay but had a couple of different tricks to spice things up. Eggman was a goofy villain but he wasn't getting upstaged by New Edgier Villian #3939 and could certainly present himself as a menace to the world. The games always had some silliness to them but the characters were still taking what they did seriously.

Like I said, not really listening then doing what they say. More doing whatever and looking around to see what they playerbase says then being contrary.

2 hours ago, Myst said:

Blue logo, white background? Maybe I'm reaching a bit here, but..Sonic Logo.JPG

latest?cb=20171120213448

Gulp.

To be fair - we know the color of the logo but it isn't an indication of what the background noise will lool like. It could be black or gold in the actual trailer to better contrast things

3 hours ago, Myst said:

Blue logo, white background? Maybe I'm reaching a bit here, but..Sonic Logo.JPG

latest?cb=20171120213448

Gulp.

Might be a bit of reach but I agree it does give off a similar vibe.

• Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Not bad.

I'm fine with it too. I still don't know enough about the movie to judge it as being "too (insert adjective here)".

The logo remind me of this.:

latest?cb=20171205024047

Please keep in mind that the logo may not be the final logo. Filming notice logos are usually not the final logos, like this filming notice about the filming of Rampage.:

Spoiler

ko7y1jtn0p2z.jpg

The movie get this logo instead. Notice that the letters are slightly different. The gorilla and the person are not seen in this logo. So, it could be an placeholder logo like the logo that was revealed at CinemaCon back in April.:

Spoiler

RMPGE_TT_1500x750_WHT.png

Oh, BTW, somebody asked one of the writers if they are still writing the movie. He said that they are about to start shooting the movie soon.:

50xz1iohmyc11.jpg

Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/92ygj8/a_reliable_source_the_writer_says_theyre_about_to/?st=jk7wz29p&sh=47efaaa5

Hopefully, we get some more set photos very soon. This is so exciting!!! I can't wait to see what they are doing there!!!

Oh, here is a very cool fan art of Sonic and James.

Spoiler

• Thumbs Up 3

Considering we got another placeholder logo for a film convention, where the film logo explicitly spelled out "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG" and was a 3D logo, and now we have this new logo which is just "SONIC", is in 2D and looks way different to the previous logo...

I can safely say until further notice, it probably isn't the final revision. Especially when Sonic has his own logo with unique characteristics (which he's had for more than two decades by this point) that this placeholder logo lacks.

2 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Considering we got another placeholder logo for a film convention, where the film logo explicitly spelled out "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG" and was a 3D logo, and now we have this new logo which is just "SONIC", is in 2D and looks way different to the previous logo...

I can safely say until further notice, it probably isn't the final revision. Especially when Sonic has his own logo with unique characteristics (which he's had for more than two decades by this point) that this placeholder logo lacks.

The logo at the Cinema-Con convention was definitely a placeholder. It was literally the game logo copy and pasted onto a stock image of Sonic.

This one could be a placeholder as well but the final logo will be closer to this one than the one at CC. And really, it makes sense that the movie brand have it's own logo to distinguish it from the games, I don't see the problem.

• Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

The logo at the Cinema-Con convention was definitely a placeholder. It was literally the game logo copy and pasted onto a stock image of Sonic.

This one could be a placeholder as well but the final logo will be closer to this one than the one at CC. And really, it makes sense that the movie brand have it's own logo to distinguish it from the games, I don't see the problem.

The comics, cartoons, merchandise, and whatever else all use the very same logo, because it's a brand logo. It's not exclusive to the games.

Changing that logo for one branch when it's in everything else Sonic is in doesn't make sense, especially from a marketing perspective where consistency helps the brand.

4 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Yeah, clinging to game Sonic may end up damaging the movie experience, since it's been stated that the movie will be a different iteration of Sonic. I'm planning to go into the theater without even thinking about game Sonic. I want this to be a brand new experience for me, and I wanna test the movie itself to see if it can take Sonic and create a new, lovable, and distinguishable personality for him.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

The comics, cartoons, merchandise, and whatever else all use the very same logo, because it's a brand logo. It's not exclusive to the games.

Changing that logo for one branch when it's in everything else Sonic is in doesn't make sense, especially from a marketing perspective where consistency helps the brand.

But the logo still uses the same font as the classic logo, but it has its own little spin to let everybody know "Hey, this is a new Sonic" and I'd argue that this logo is a much better fit for an action blockbuster than the classic logo. 

Marvel properties have different logos for different branches. Just look at Spider-Man and his brand is strong as ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am most likely not going to go a theatre to watch it.  Sorry... if you think it's gonna be cool, awesome.  I'm not stopping you from watching it.

I know this doesn't mean that much, but I just found a random post of James signing an autograph for somebody at Vancouver International Airport while, he was there for filming the movie.:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlzDu8llmdg/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=f69uco9t2xqr

Oh, here is an funny and cool picture of Sonic, Tails, and some random guy running away from Amy.:

m39b3w8ibwc11.png

Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/92v360/on_no_its_amy_run/

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

18 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Oh, here is an funny and cool picture of Sonic, Tails, and some random guy running away from Amy.:

m39b3w8ibwc11.png

Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/92v360/on_no_its_amy_run/

Oh hey, I've seen these kinds of posts on Reddit before! Wouldn't this be the work of @SmezMorePrakezz?

7 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

But the logo still uses the same font as the classic logo, but it has its own little spin to let everybody know "Hey, this is a new Sonic" and I'd argue that this logo is a much better fit for an action blockbuster than the classic logo. 

Marvel properties have different logos for different branches. Just look at Spider-Man and his brand is strong as ever.

Pointing at other properties to say "Look at them, they do this thing" does nothing when Sonic has maintained the same logo for everything it's done in the brand. That's their way of doing it, Spider-Man has it's own way in terms of logos, that's the way they wash their hands.

So if Sonic has always had the same logo since it's conception, why change it now? That sort of change would come in a game first, where all final decisions on the brand is made, wouldn't it?

5 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Oh hey, I've seen these kinds of posts on Reddit before! Wouldn't this be the work of @SmezMorePrakezz?

Yea, I know that guy, he also made this too. Really impressive!:

kuirt0gke5l01.jpg

Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/83n5ra/what_if_sonic_is_real_what_you_will_do_together/

Anyway, I imagine that the animation for the movie is going to be similar to these pictures, since Marza and Blur Studio are doing the animation for the film. So, I expect it to be much similar to these pictures, but with more details such as the fur.:

Df2O0U9W0AE7QFB.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Oi! Didn't expect my Photoshop/Blender 3D work to appear here. :-) wow. And I need some idea of doing more pic. :-)

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

I know this poster is fan made, but it’s still cool and nice. Take an look. It looked awesome.

F68F6AA6-4809-46E5-99AE-4C638BB445DB.thumb.jpeg.f54a31f5282ddcebd076b4ecba3744a1.jpeg

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/MiiToons/status/1024102817211068416

Ha! Glad you guys enjoyed my little take on a Sonic Movie poster! It was fun trying to texture Sonic up to fit the live action environment more! Im sure Sonic's actual model will have even more-defined textures tho. Guess well have to wait n' see!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1