Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

3 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

I dunno, I kinda like the goofy Eggman... The kind where he seems like an ineffective villain at first who goofs around and does as he pleases, making wild robotic minions that are a bit hard to take seriously, but gets REALLY nasty, dangerous and cunning when getting down to business. Like, let's see, Genesis Eggman, OVA Eggman, Mania Adventures Eggman, much of the early 2000s Eggman...

It feels to represent Eggman best, but who knows how they'll write him?

I don't/never cared for the bumbling idiot Eggman became post-Unleashed. I want an Eggman that can be over-the-top and funny but at the same time a genius, a serious threat and highly manipulative like Lex Luthor from BvS (terrible version of Lex but an apt comparison for the Eggman I want). The 2010- Pontaff Eggman and the Boom Eggman is something I don't want to see in an action blockbuster film. Same goes for that version of Sonic 

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

10 hours ago, Myst said:

So just what is the deal with this car chase? Is Eggman going to be driving that truck? Or Orbot & CuBot? Will they steal an Enerald and be on the run from Tom & Sonic?

This is seeming a little too comical for my tastes

Probably most likely the truck will be used for the highway chase that they will be filming next month.

https://www.vancouverislandfreedaily.com/entertainment/scenes-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-set-to-be-filmed-on-highway-19-next-fall/

I took an screenshot of the description of the scene. Here what it’s says.:

934CFB42-F2DD-4DCB-9432-C652FA8A6F6A.thumb.jpeg.6f7c718f7840e1deef94eb5153c59fef.jpeg

So, maybe Sonic and Tom will stop the driver of the truck from going on an rampage, crushing cars and stuff on the highway. I can see the scene to be very destructive.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

6 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

I don't/never cared for the bumbling idiot Eggman became post-Unleashed. I want an Eggman that can be over-the-top and funny but at the same time a genius, a serious threat and highly manipulative like Lex Luthor from BvS (terrible version of Lex but an apt comparison for the Eggman I want). The 2010- Pontaff Eggman and the Boom Eggman is something I don't want to see in an action blockbuster film. Same goes for that version of Sonic 

...which is what i was asking for...?

It feels as if you saw the first line of my post then stopped reading any further.

10 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

I don't/never cared for the bumbling idiot Eggman became post-Unleashed.

Bumbling Idiot? The Man Enslaved a species and was only foiled because Sonic broke his leash on the Zeti. Plus he conquered the entire planet and nearly succeeded in blowing it up.

17 hours ago, a knothole resident said:

Thats like getting upset for the Mario movie to have the Mushroom Kingdom.  Its a staple to the franchise and the most iconic level.  Why WOULDNT they use it somewhere.

I know that some people feel that Green Hill Zone is overused in the games nowadays, but I didn't expect that criticism to reach the movie.

I really hope they dont turn into  bad joke ala riddler in the 90s batman film. Honestly give me eggman from adv1 or unleashed. Or even hell 06 . Threat wise I want him to have this usual bug ego but at the same time evil. Blowing up the earth. Tossing missiles at the festival  rmeggman. Not (though I like ainmted boom) cooking show eggman.

5 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Bumbling Idiot? The Man Enslaved a species and was only foiled because Sonic broke his leash on the Zeti. Plus he conquered the entire planet and nearly succeeded in blowing it up.

But he was still played up as a complete joke. Of course he does villainous things, but his personality and mannerisms is that of a bumbling idiot. He is always arguing with Orbot and Cubot, he is always making quips and jokes. You can never take Eggman seriously anymore at all.

What I want is somebody who plays up their over-the-top nature and quirkiness because it plays well with the public. I want Robotnik to be someone who is wearing a facade in the public eye. And when the curtain is finally pulled back, we see how unhinged and gleefully insane this man truly is. And while he's funny at first, it starts to become less and less funny once you see how rotten he is. 

Imagine a scene like this but with Sonic instead of Superman and Robotnik instead of Lex

I want a Robotnik who isn't afraid to hold a gun to a civilian's head to get to Sonic ala Amy in SA2. No more slapstick joke of a villain who isn't menacing at all 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

25 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Imagine a scene like this but with Sonic instead of Superman and Robotnik instead of Lex

I'm imagining it and I hate it.

• Thumbs Up 5

I feel like the movie will probably avoid the actual problems with Eggman in the games purely because he'll be more active in the plot. Probably. And even if that's the case they could mess him up in fun new ways.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I'm imagining it and I hate it.

To each his own. I want a Lex-esque Robotnik 

18 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Couldn’t stop drawing some more movie fan art, so this come to my mind.:

D513BD9B-BF01-47AA-A6F1-DEADE4FFA7C5.jpeg.e46789da552d636433cc9b373fe541ba.jpeg

I highly, highly doubt any other character besides Sonic and maybe Tails will appear in the movie. 

11 minutes ago, Lahsuwu said:

I highly, highly doubt any other character besides Sonic and maybe Tails will appear in the movie. 

Well, we don’t know if any other characters besides Sonic and Eggman will appear. I create this just to imagine what the movie could look like, if Rouge make an appearance. So, we will have to wait and see.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmmm... To be honest all this news has gotten me a bit more hyped for the movie. Therefore I might stay away from this thread to avoid potential spoilers (such as the pick up truck). Peace.

Huh... that green screen actor sure is interesting

Who is that? 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

"Well, this sure is living in the city. It's all bustling and full of people to meet. Say, is that a truck?"

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 2

1 hour ago, LongcrierCat said:

Huh... that green screen actor sure is interesting

Who is that? 

Could be some random extra, you could barely see his pants.

BTW, here is another set photo.:

So, I guess Station Square will be in the movie, since they are currently filming in Downtown Vancouver.

• Thumbs Up 4

Carrey briefly touched on the Sonic movie in a recent interview.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/jim-carrey-donald-trump-showtime-kidding-sonice-the-hedgehog-1202441345/

In terms of Carrey’s next movie, it’s Paramount’s feature take on Sega’s Sonic the Hedgehog. He plays the villain Dr. Ivo ‘Eggman’ Robotnik.

“It will be live-action,” says Carrey about the character.

How will the stand-up-of-a-thousand-faces create him?

“Magic!” shouted Carrey to the TCA crowd, “mixed with desperation.”

• Thumbs Up 4

Desperation? Hmm.. What is Eggman desperate to do in the movie? 

Also Carrey hasn't shaved his head. So he's either going to wear a bald cap or Robotnik may have long hair...

People just want different things from Sonic, it's why it's so hard to please the fandom.

Anyway, I believe Carrey should do his own unique interpretation of Robotnik, not from the games, not from his previous roles, not from other movie villains, it needs to be unique, as I said, and balanced, a mix of goofy and mad and deliciously menacing, in my opinion. And yeah, it should also be different from the games, that is what scares the fans the most, I know... 

• Thumbs Up 1

It shouldn't surprise you that it scares the fans. When fans have been wanting a Sonic movie for years (just to clarify I just wanted more of what the OVA was selling) and when they finally get it they are told it isn't going to be anything like what the franchise has ever been beyond in the most broad of strokes it almost seems like a disservice. Sure, we can always talk about why it has to be done a certain way, but that doesn't address the core problems. The fans love the franchise and want a movie about it, but the movie they get they are told will be completely divorced from what the franchise in all but the most superficial of ways. It just doesn't sound good and is one of the reasons why I have said in the past that the PR for this movie has been terrible so far.

On the topic of Carrey as Eggman though (I wonder if I will have to actually use Robotnik again in the future just to differentiate the movie character from the game character), I still think he could easily pull off how Eggman is portrayed in the subbed version of the OVA. Just make the costume use a ball around his torso and let him go from there and I could see it working, even with Carrey doing his own take on the character. It's about the only positive I see with the movie so far and would be honestly disappointed if Carrey didn't play on his strengths as a zany body comedy heavy actor to bring life to the goofy villain whose actual level of threat is veiled by his antics.

• Thumbs Up 2

Again no goofy eggman . Honestly if they go goofy I see some children giggling but the movie flopping.  he could easily have a ego in a funny way but also the you know what I'll blow up the moon to make you fear me or threaten you like he did any in adv2