Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I can see your point, but Eggman being goofy is part of who he is and helps soften the actuality of what he is usually doing. I guess though if you are selling a PG-13 mentality for the film there isn't really any reason to soften that actuality. That said though, I would still argue for making him at the very least charming. He kind of has to have something that prevents the characters from seeing him as a threat in the beginning and being charming would be a good alternative since then he could be played up as disarming and unpredictable. Even then, while I know Carrey can do more dramatic roles I think it would be a waste to not have some level of goofiness in an Eggman played by him.

I still say Lex Luthor from BvS is the perfect mix of goofy, manic over the top and seriousness for a live action Eggman:

Any ideas for the tagline?

Some of mine burrow from the Sonic Boom song from Sonic CD and SaTAM:

- "Trouble Keeps You Running Faster" (Maybe in reference to Sonic being a trouble maker at first)

- "Save The Planet From The Disaster" (In reference to Robotnik)

- "He's The Fastest Thing Alive!" 

- "Way Past Cool" 

- "He's Got An Attitude" (Reference to Sonic juvenile behavior)

- "It's Go Time!" 

21 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

If it's Gotta Go Fast I'm gonna scream. 

Hopefully not, considering how big of a meme it's become 

"He's Got An Attitude" is my favorite.

I think it would be cool if we got a remix of the SATAM theme in the credits of the movie. Kinda like how they played the 60s theme in the Spider-Man movie or the old 87' TMNT theme in Out of the Shadows:

22 minutes ago, Myst said:

IMDB is claiming Jeanine Cloutier has been cast as 'Business Woman' Hmm.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3794354/

Well, that’s nice, but you know anybody can edit anything on IMDB. If she is going to be in the movie, she will probably most likely that she could be just have an minor role, since it’s say that she is playing an business woman.

Anyway, as I looked through the pictures, I noticed some pictures of the director who worked on the cutscenes on Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog with Tim Miller. He was seening talking with James. 

9A21798D-4DF0-4571-AAA5-0BAD631F288B.thumb.jpeg.f7945b11d012fd914ac395394f3af072.jpeg

E4C62C71-0C6F-4ABA-B358-56BDD4907B38.thumb.jpeg.5f921f52f10e3506a002262f70c3d2ca.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

DkAzYiKU4AEZtdx.jpg

What are the odds that metal thing is supposed to be a stand-in for CGI Sonic? I'd think it'd be more like.. a piece of cardboard or something.

12 minutes ago, Razule said:
  Reveal hidden contents

DkAzYiKU4AEZtdx.jpg

What are the odds that metal thing is supposed to be a stand-in for CGI Sonic? I'd think it'd be more like.. a piece of cardboard or something.

That metal is actually "Chrome ball" use to capture an environment map(HDRI) that will apply to a 3D model, give it a realistic lighting and reflection on model.

I bet that scene will have CG, maybe not Sonic himself but this scene demand 3D CGI for sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, SmezMorePrakezz said:

That metal is actually "Chrome ball" use to capture an environment map(HDRI) that will apply to a 3D model, give it a realistic lighting and reflection on model.

I bet that scene will have CG, maybe not Sonic himself but this scene demand 3D CGI for sure.

Interesting. Roger Craig Smith recently tweeted in response to someone asking 'Is that Sonic?' with the words: 'Metal Sonic'

I think that might have been a sneaky way of him confirming he is playing Sonic in the movie. 

That doesn't mean anything. It was just him making a joke because somebody asked what it was. Mike Pollock answers questions about the movie all the time and he said Paramount didn't even approach him about auditioning for Eggman 

44 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Then Sonic  will be the size of a toddler

But that IS supposed to be Sonic. The balls represent Sonic's eyes so the actor knows where to look to meet his face. 

49 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Then Sonic  will be the size of a toddler

Well.. how tall did you think Sonic was? Yeah, he's 3'3".

8 minutes ago, Lahsuwu said:

But that IS supposed to be Sonic. The balls represent Sonic's eyes so the actor knows where to look to meet his face. 

Most likely this. But I think it's interesting that he's so small. He's like 2 feet as opposed to 3

14 minutes ago, Myst said:

Okay then. I took it as a subtle wink that 'Yeah I'm playing Sonic'

I'm hoping he's not. Tired of his Sonic and he wouldn't be a good fit for a movie where Sonic has to be more than a caricature. Get an actual actor who can portray Sonic in a wide variety of emotions instead of Roger's over-the-top cartoon "Teenager impression" performances.

For the first time in a long time, I want Sonic to be developed and fleshed as an actual character instead of just a one-note "Fast dudebro" that Sega and Craig-Smith portray him as. Thats why I like the juvenile angle because it adds depth and dimensions to his character. It gives him layers and a character arc with a beginning and end. That's something we haven't gotten in a long time.

• Thumbs Up 3

20 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

For the first time in a long time, I want Sonic to be developed and fleshed as an actual character instead of just a one-note "Fast dudebro" that Sega and Craig-Smith portray him as. Thats why I like the juvenile angle because it adds depth and dimensions to his character. It gives him layers and a character arc with a beginning and end. That's something we haven't gotten in a long time.

Agreed. Sonic with a new voice actor and more fleshed-out personality, even if it's a bit different from what we're used to, would be great. I'd take a different, flesh-out take over same-y, mediocrity any day. 

22 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

But I think it's interesting that he's so small. He's like 2 feet as opposed to 3

Remember that there's still a part of him that rises above his eyes, like his forehead and ears. 

• Fist Bump 1

James Marsden is 5'10", so Sonic and Tom should look like this standing together:

image.png.aef0cdaf28e5c4124cf88b6310e1f38c.png

Does the metal have to be the exact same height as Sonic?

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Razule said:

James Marsden is 5'10", so Sonic and Tom should look like this standing together:

image.png.aef0cdaf28e5c4124cf88b6310e1f38c.png

Does the metal have to be the exact same height as Sonic?

Could be a reference for his eyes. So when the actors look at him, they aren't looking at the top of his head. I.e

tmnt-megan-fox-dora-raphael3.jpg

Notice the balls on the top of his head 

18 minutes ago, Lahsuwu said:

Agreed. Sonic with a new voice actor and more fleshed-out personality, even if it's a bit different from what we're used to, would be great. I'd take a different, flesh-out take over same-y, mediocrity any day. 

Remember that there's still a part of him that rises above his eyes, like his forehead and ears. 

I don't feel like Roger could convincingly deliver a multi-range performance for a more complex Sonic. It will demand more from him than just making snappy one-liners and witty remarks. 

I wouldn't have this concern with Jason or even Ryan Drummond or Jaleel White but Roger has only ever played Sonic one way and he is already forcing his voice as is 

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Most likely this. But I think it's interesting that he's so small. He's like 2 feet as opposed to 3

I'm hoping he's not. Tired of his Sonic and he wouldn't be a good fit for a movie where Sonic has to be more than a caricature. Get an actual actor who can portray Sonic in a wide variety of emotions instead of Roger's over-the-top cartoon "Teenager impression" performances.

I agree. I appreciate all the work Roger has done as Sonic for the past couple of years, but I'd like to hear a new take on the character. But with such a modest budget, I'm thinking Paramount might stick with the game VAs, just to save a few bucks.

3 minutes ago, Myst said:

I agree. I appreciate all the work Roger has done as Sonic for the past couple of years, but I'd like to hear a new take on the character. But with such a modest budget, I'm thinking Paramount might stick with the game VAs, just to save a few bucks.

I don't think actor salary will be a problem. They got Marsden and Sumpter so i would expect a new Sonic VA to be along those lines i.e. Evan Peters, Dylan O'Brien etc. These are not A-list actors like Carrey so they won't eat into the budget. The director and producers may not like what Roger is bringing to to table and they may a different vision for Sonic's VA.

We'll find out on due time 

• Thumbs Up 1

james-marsden-tika-sumpter-sonic-the-hed
Guess from the look on their faces, with no script on her hand, I'll assume they're rolling the film in that time of they just practice.
Point of interest: She looks above.

Could it be Eggman's aircraft?
oh..

EGG CARRIER!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Way Past Cool 1