Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

If Sonic is supposed to be that short.. I wonder.. Will this movie star CLASSIC Sonic, NOT modern? Classic is shorter than Modern.

I don't care what the fuck else this movie has to offer (or not) - Jim Carrey as Eggman has definitely sold me a ticket. I tend to get weird looks for this but he's unironically one of my favorite actors despite starring in way more bad or mediocre movies than good ones. Even if the way he portrays Eggman is unabashedly blasphemous to the fanbase, I still want to see his take on it haha

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

14 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Could be a reference for his eyes. So when the actors look at him, they aren't looking at the top of his head. I.e

tmnt-megan-fox-dora-raphael3.jpg

Notice the balls on the top of his head 

I don't feel like Roger could convincingly deliver a multi-range performance for a more complex Sonic. It will demand more from him than just making snappy one-liners and witty remarks. 

I wouldn't have this concern with Jason or even Ryan Drummond or Jaleel White but Roger has only ever played Sonic one way and he is already forcing his voice as is 

Roger can do it fine. I really do think he's a better all-around voice actor than all of those guys. His subdued Sonic voice surprised me the first time I heard it during the Sonic Boom TV show and it made me realize how much of a shame it is that the recent stories don't really demand for it much. He needs a better voice director though. They all do.

22 hours ago, Myst said:

Maybe it's Knuckles burrowing out of the ground?

Can’t be. There’s nothing on the ground near the thing that suggests there’s anything coming out.

Remember, Roger Craig Smith is a pretty talented voice actor. He's got many roles under his belt, including the role of Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed.

It just happens that the voice direction in the Sonic games have been pretty sucktacular. Under the right voice guidance, some voice actors really let their acting truly shine. Without bringing other voice actors into the mix, Roger got a whole new voice direction for Sonic Boom, and it was the best Sonic we got from him. Sonic Forces came after, and he goes back to sounding weird. Boom and Forces don't share the same voice directors, so he's obviously not going to sound the same, as he'll be told different things to do with his voice between them.

Now in the Sonic movie, where you have professionals at work alongside professional voice directors, I believe this will be where Roger will make his Sonic voice truly shine, as he'll be directed by someone who knows how to make a real character out of his voice.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

The new Leonardo seems to have a similar "rebel, cool dude, catch-phrase dispenser" personality to what they're going for for Sonic, so, maybe this is a good example of what he'll sound like in the role:

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 2
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, Razule said:

The new Leonardo seems to have a similar "rebel, cool dude, catch-phrase dispenser" personality to what they're going for for Sonic, so, maybe this is a good example of what he'll sound like in the role:

Heck YESSSSSS!! 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

This... isn't a bad choice, actually. I've heard this guy in some of his VO roles, and I think he has the voice for this.

• Thumbs Up 4

Man Ben's really been on a "Blue guy" kick hasn't he? Almost surprised he isn't Mega Man.

Anyway he has a good voice for Sonic although I worry all I'll hear is Dewey when Sonic talks.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hmmm...

Hmmmm...

Hmmmmmmm.....

Eeeeeh I dunno. Dewey's voice sounds the closest to what would come out of Sonic's mouth in my head, and leo shows a more reserved VO for a confident character that could work pretty well, but something about the voice isn't doing much for me. I think the kicker here is that his voice doesn't really change much from role to role, so I can't see it being that different from any of these examples, and one thing or another seems off about them. Time will tell, I guess.

Man, I'm so happy about this choice. This guy is an actual actor (unlike Roger) and his voice fits Sonic perfectly. Judging by those clips- he could be my favorite voice for Sonic yet

• Thumbs Up 1

Hm, I guess this means they are getting celebs to voice the characters after all. Makes me wonder who’s gonna voice the rest of the gang if they show up. The Rock as Knuckles anyone? 

• Thumbs Up 2

Never heard of this guy until now, but I'm glad they choose someone younger to voice Sonic. He might not be an bad choice. Who knows? As long as he can sound like Sonic, then I'm fine. I wish him best luck on voicing him.

6 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

How? Roger has starred as a VA in just as many, if not far more television roles, with just as good acting chops as he does. Ben might have more live action TV appearances but he's not all that famous for it so the "hollywood actor" label doesn't really apply; in what world is there a definition between the two of "actual actor" and "not an actual actor"???

Roger is a voice actor who doesn't have the range of Ben. He has been in dozens of movies and love action TV shows, he's an actual ACTOR. Somebody mentioned on the last page that Roger in Boom was different but i didn't notice it at all. He just isn't a good choice for Sonic and this guy is a much better fit. For one, I can buy Ben as a teenage, juvenile Sonic. Roger? Not so much. His voice is too forced and its about time we got a new Sonic.

Roger would not be able to give us a complex, multi-layered Sonic because he doesn't have the acting range of someone who has actual experience in Hollywood. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

Roger would not be able to give us a complex, multi-layered Sonic because he doesn't have the acting range of someone who has actual experience in Hollywood. 

I don't think thats how experience works.

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

I don't think thats how experience works.

It kinda is. Ben IS a Hollywood actor, he has experience playing parts of actual people. Roger has mainly played anime characters and other video game roles. Not knocking him for that, but those parts do not demand from him what a movie would. That's why Ben was chosen and is a better fit for what Sonic should sound like anyway

51 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Weeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll........................Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.    He does have the personality and attitude.  I do enjoy his portal of Dewey Duck and hes alright in Parks.  Havent seen the new TMNT but the voice seems on par to Sonic.  And I guess if Sonic's voice gets replaced every 10 years, he actually seems like the right choice. 

• Thumbs Up 1