Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Lol it's partially live-action

You did it.

You went above and beyond the call of duty.

You fucked up hard.

• Thumbs Up 6

There is no way this can possibly end well.

At least with Marza involved there'll be some nice animation, but that's about it.

Maybe it'll be like the adventure games where it takes place on Earth and the characters rarely interact with the humans, but the story centers around the cartoony animals?

Which begs the question of why not just take the city elements and do them in CG? Moving heavy equipment and crews, buying city permits, and the other financial pitfalls of making this live-action aren't cheap or convenient, so no one would spend the time and money just for background elements or aesthetics that can just be recreated on a computer. By making this live-action, the money spent has to at least reasonably go towards major story elements, and after all, it's much easier to just use human actors instead of fighting the uncanny valley. So we can expect human interference.

Also, yearly releases? Not even fucking Alvin and the Chipmunks and the Smurfs had yearly releases.

Unless they do some awesome, cheap, self-aware work in the vain of Scott Pilgrim or Speed Racer, this is going to be a clusterfuck.

• Thumbs Up 4

In one way i am delighted that Sonic is getting a film but then live action, like The Smurfs or The Chipmunks.........oh dear. Ah Well i think i am still excited after seeing it being confirmed by the tweets and FB posts

Different writers

Different approach

Still giant blue "hedgehog" hanging out with super realistic humans. With the Smurfs they had to make them a grimy sort of realistic, with Alvin and the Chipmunks, we got real looking chipmunks; with Ninja turtles, we're getting alien mutants. To this date I have never seen a cartoon make the way to CGI Live action hybrid in one piece.

• Thumbs Up 1

So the movie actually exists...

...and it's a live-action CG hybrid...

...and it's being produced by Sony, who may I remind you guys is also the same studio who produced those terrible live-action/CG Smurfs films and is desperate for a new cash cow movie franchise...

...OK then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt_zCZBKvqg

You know when people who are clearly pissed the fuck off say they're not mad but they're actually madder as hell? I'm beyond that.

One of the best things to happen to this franchise was that it never got a film adaptation, because, as we know, all video game film adaptations made so far are undeniably shit. Even Mario wasn't spared a shit film adaptation.

But now I guess even Sonic isn't spared, and unlike people who are doing it the right way (all CG that are located in their respective game worlds like Sony's other upcoming videogame films that are the R&C and Sly Cooper adaptations-you know, the ones that actually HAVE potential to be good films that are faithful to their series), Sonic gets the standard live-action/CG hybrid shitcake adaptation.

I don't care if it's Marza Animation Project animating the project, I don't care if the screenwriters actually do have some decent previous work (22 Jump Street) behind them, making the film a live-action/CG hybrid is enough of a giant red flag to indicate that this will likely not work. For fuck's sake, wasn't Eddie Lebron's Sonic fan film and Sonic 06 not enough to show that SONIC DOESN'T WORK IN "THE REAL WORLD"?! And that's not even getting into the executive meddling that will ensue to "make it appeal more to kids" (and since it's Sony, who if their shenanigans with TASM2 is anything to go by, is beyond desperate to find/create a new blockbuster film IP, it will DEFINITELY ensue, mark my words). You think the attempts by Sonic Team and Eddie to put Sonic in the real world were awful? You think the dialogue by the Pontac/Warren duo for the recent games is cringeworthy? I'm sure when this film comes out, they will be a godsend in comparison.

And the worst part of it all is the impact that it will cause upon this franchise. Most adaptations usually leave their franchises standing, namely because they usually still pump out good games or are so hugely popular that even a poor film adaptation will hardly stain them. But Sonic? Ever since Shadow and 06, he's been and in some parts still is the laughingstock of the series, and has been a wildcard in quality ever since. If this movie turns out out to be bad, the best case scenario is that it'll act as a colony drop onto this series. Whatever goodwill he still has will be wiped out entirely, and he will be back to 06 levels-or even worse.

Just when I though Sega and Sonic Team couldn't get any worse on how they're handling this series, they pull a move that will almost inevitably permanently damage (if not outright kill in the worst possible outcome) this series than any of the dumb decisions they made in the past. Never though I'd say this, but Microsoft getting hold of this series would likely be a godsend by this point. Nothing good can come from this impeding clusterfuck trainwreck abomination, absolutely nothing.

gif-fuck-donald-cartoons-369498.gif

EDIT: Oh and it's possible it's going to be a yearly thing? Like, a live-action/CG Sonic movie every goddamn year? Like I called it, deperate Sony looking for a new cash cow IP, and I honestly think it would be in their nature to pull a stunt like this.

Holy shit, this is beyond fucking up. This is shooting yourself in the face, and judging everything I've heard so far, I'm be completely stunned if it wasn't to give this series a mercy kill.

• Thumbs Up 6

Huh, partly live-action? Excellent! I can dig that!

I have to ask for an explanation here, because to present an opinion that's so polar to not only the norm here but also to the general perception of live action adaptations seems intentionally contrarian.

You literraly killed a piece of may when you said that.

DbxCCCt.gif

Real talk, it's almost a given that this is going to happen in some way.

...Ok so who is gonna play Eggman?

*sigh* Just to get this out of the way: Danny DeVito.

And the obligatory poster:

sonic-movie.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Still giant blue "hedgehog" hanging out with super realistic humans. With the Smurfs they had to make them a grimy sort of realistic, with Alvin and the Chipmunks, we got real looking chipmunks; with Ninja turtles, we're getting alien mutants. To this date I have never seen a cartoon make the way to CGI Live action hybrid in one piece.

I personally think Yogi Bear and Boo-Boo were translated the best. But the thing about these films to me is never the models or character animation. It's the cheesy attempts at having humans interact with characters and how badly these respective series' cartoony concepts come across in live-action where there's a higher threshold for suspension of disbelief. They're either not funny or lack any thematic meaning. Thus, the charm is gone, so you're left with a film that has to hold up on writing and plot alone, which also comes out worse than one would expect from just a normal Dreamworks or Sony film. The icing on the cake is the scatological humor and/or unnecessary dance numbers, but I'm hoping we can at least be spared the former. 

Sonic can breakdance though. But... only in the credits.

I can't help but think that Sonic in this film will be like Rocket Racoon in Guardians Of The Galaxy. Only poorly executed.

"AaaaaAAaaaaaAAaaaah, HOOKED ON A (bad) FEELING"

Why would anyone want to try this? You would think that someone would walk in and talk about how something like Sonic wouldn't work in live action, but nope, it's time for live action Sonic.

I can only assume we'll have De Niro as Robotnik and Jason Alexander as Snively.

Ew we ewww I don't even want to think about a realistic looking Sonic. It's going to look SO WRONG. I wouldn't even be surprised if it looked like his fan film model with the fluffy spikes!

Why would anyone want to try this? You would think that someone would walk in and talk about how something like Sonic wouldn't work in live action, but nope, it's time for live action Sonic.

Hmm, sounds like they may have found a way for it to work after all, despite naysayers and whatnot.

....So this is real....as in there will actually be a live action Sonic the Hedgehog movie blended with CG.

heh

haha

hahahah

hahahahhahahahaha

azuu__s_insane_laugh_by_azuura_chan-d4dh

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Hmm, sounds like they may have found a way for it to work after all, despite naysayers and whatnot.

Or maybe they haven't and they're just chasing that Smurf money anyway regardless of quality.

It's why we had Transformers sequels and Battleship. They're not actually good movies; they just make money because CGI.

Again, they're going to have to seriously justify the artistic use of live-action in an anime-esque way before I give them the benefit of the doubt.

The thing is, what about Boom? I was actually looking forward to that, now if feel as though SEGA has pulled the carpet from under my feet because now Boom isn't the big thing for Sonic anymore.

I think it's more or less given that SEGA do not know how to handle this franchise properly. They were on the right track with the Boom TV show, I found the trailer to be very enjoyable, but then they go and pull this. But what I want to know is, why the hell didn't they just make a Boom movie? That would have made a lot more sense.

I have to ask for an explanation here, because to present an opinion that's so polar to not only the norm here but also to the general perception of live action adaptations seems intentionally contrarian.

I swear, I'm not posting to be contrary, I just tend to dig live-action adaptations, fucking Last Airbender and the Smurfs,  NOT WITHSTANDING.

I feel that with the right mix of CGI animation and use of live-action, they can get this picture working out.

We all know that's not true.

I feel that with the right mix of CGI animation and use of live-action, they can get this picture working out.

There will be a 6ft tall blue hedgehog standing next to a real life human being.

How in the name of all the uncanny valley does this work?

• Thumbs Up 1

Or maybe they haven't and they're just chasing that Smurf money anyway regardless of quality.

t.

Maybe, or maybe not. We'll just have to wait and see.

iM7jEfeLigRA1.gif...Ok so who is gonna play Eggman?

rexfeatures_1592115ai_danny_devito.jpg?i

Pleaaaaaase SEGA! This is the only correct choice!

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh hell... if this was a planned announcement... maybe we'll get more details during that live stream?

Maybe if we're extraordinarily lucky this'll just be like The LEGO Movie, and the only live-action portion will be a scene at the very end of the movie of Will Ferrell playing Sonic with his kid.

It won't, but I think I'll pretend that's at least possible.

• Thumbs Up 2

Don't you see? It's a two pronged sabotage attempt by Sony and SEGA! The former wants to rule the platform mascot movie genre, and the latter screwed themselves over because they saw the box office success of the Chipmunks and Smurfs films but didn't care how crappy they really were!

But personally: Meh.

Maybe if we're extraordinarily lucky this'll just be like The LEGO Movie, and the only live-action portion will be a scene at the very end of the movie of Will Ferrell playing Sonic with his kid.

It won't, but I think I'll pretend that's at least possible.

I can only hope it at least turns out like that. The live action part would still be shit (unlike The LEGO Movie) but at least the damage would be contained to that one small portion only. The rest being Marza goodness.