Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

5 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

I am actually laughing at people thinking that a 100 million + dollar movie will be canceled or "scrapped" just because some don't like the design of Sonic.

Thats not how it all works.

What don't we all just give a movie a chance?

It’s $90 million, to be exact.

2 minutes ago, MarioAmigosYT said:

You know you screwed up when your own fan art is the basis of your own character design in a movie

I understand the point of the design being better than the fan film... but why you praise a bad character design for just (hopefully) a single film?

It doesn't even look bad and it's not even that radically different from the game design. People comparing him to that terrible fan art. All it looks like is a version of game Sonic that could anatomically exist in the real world. And Sonic looks like an action hero! He looks like that fan art I posted a few months ago when I talked about the way I want him to look. I LOVE HIM. He looks exactly the way I wanted him to :D

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Operationgamer17 said:

It’s $90 million, to be exact.

Uh huh, $90 million was wasted on this mess?
ok
Everyone watch the OVA

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2018 at 8:38 PM, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

Kind of where I thought they might go with Sonic's design. I can dig that.

So........

I'll just go ahead and throw that out the window.

This now looks like a disaster. This is more repulsive than Sonic '06's design by a quite a large margin. I hate everything about '06 Sonic, and this is much worse than that.

Oh boy. I think I may need to sit out the franchise until after the movie. I'll finally go play zelda or something.

I'm going to say something controversial. I like...his shoes. The rest looks so wrong with his weird muscular body and giant cartoon head and lack of gloves.

To those defending that design, I respect your opinion and am glad that you are happy @PeterPancake, but would like to add that my brother who is a trained and professional graphic and character designer describes it as horrendous and that just the silhouette is cringy and makes him shudder. Those are not the type of responses the designers of this movie Sonic should be getting from their peers and speaks volumes about how wrong it is. Still though, at this point, considering even SEGA is not happy with the changes it can only get worse once we see it fully revealed.

On another note, though I did not watch the Ted movies, hearing Sonic compared to that with what I saw from trailers and commercials worries me in a completely different way. Boy, just when I was being willing to give this movie a chance again they go and throw me deformed Sonic head on a twisted Gollum body. I know this movie isn't aimed at fans, but boy I have to ask what we did to deserve that?

• Thumbs Up 3

11 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I can't wait for this movie to spawn a franchise for the character. This design is actually marketable to a wider audience. Sonic actually looks like he can take a punch. Gone are the noodle limbs. And this looks wayyy better than the fan film 

I will forever argue that reaching a wider audience at the expense of losing the identity and uniqueness of the very thing you're a fan of is not exactly what you want as a fan.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 3

the only good thing I can say about the design...
is that it's miles better than that Blue Core fan film where Knuckles had fingers, James Rolfe and even Doug Walker were in there and the CG Green Hill (in the same ending as that Knuckles has fingers thing).
besides that.. why?

15 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

And now we've moved on the stage of calling the movie terrible because Sonic doesn't look like Mickey Mouse's brother in law.

I can't wait for this movie to spawn a franchise for the character. This design is actually marketable to a wider audience. Sonic actually looks like he can take a punch. Gone are the noodle limbs. And this looks wayyy better than the fan film 

Ooooh man, he will.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 4

I think it was a bad idea to show this silhouette first. They should've brought out a trailer. For all I know this design will click when I see it in the movie interacting with people.

Detective Pikachu knocked that out of the park. Though, that design is also much better and truer to the games than what I can see here.

13 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

And now we've moved on the stage of calling the movie terrible because Sonic doesn't look like Mickey Mouse's brother in law.

Sonic's design is much more marketable to a wider audience than this. It's simple and clean like Mickey Mouse. Pun not intended.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I will forever argue that reaching a wider audience at the expense of losing the identity and uniqueness of the very thing you're a fan of is not exactly what you want as a fan.

I'll add to this by saying, that editing what is already one of the most iconic Character designs of the late 20th and early 21st centuries with some aggressively hideous homunculus in order to pointlessly shoehorn it into a "realistic setting" is not actually "marketable to a wider audience". We saw that with Sonic Boom already. Sonic's design - even considering the shift from classic to Dreamcast designs -  is about as widely marketable as its ever going to get.

• Thumbs Up 4

22 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Are we seriously comparing that to sonic? You are optimistic, i'll tell you that.

Those aren't risky ventures, that doesn't mean sonic isn't being sent to die.

I agree with Shadowlax. Sonic is kind of being sent to die here and I dont think SEGA has any clue about it at all.

I am now convinced that SEGA itself has become the problem. They allowed THIS to happen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

I just showed it to my mum and she actually screamed and said "What have they done!?"

I fucking wish I'd filmed it!

My sympathies are with you. I'm sure filming people's reactions will be a YouTube meme within the next few weeks. 

Just watched it properly and at the end Sonic's shoes and "pupil" are the only parts with the electricity(?) on them. So he's got 'power sneakers' and... Eye wear? 

1 minute ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

I am now convinced that SEGA itself has become the problem. They allowed THIS to happen. 

I mean... they didn't like what they did to Sonic... but hey? at least the non-silhouette design could be better? right?.... 

19 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

What on earth are you talking about marketable to a wider audience? Have you no awareness of the franchise history at all? Sonic was once more popular than mario and Mickey mouse in both the US and Europe. Sonic's design was the one thing that maintained his appeal throughout all the mistakes of his games. It did not need any help whatsoever.

This is actually a disaster.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

Well... to be fair, this design makes a little bit more sense in terms of Sonic's ability. Especially his feet. No creature on earth can run really fast with such big feet Sonic and his pals have in the games. 

24 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Since when does Sonic need to look like he can take a punch?

I don't remember that happening in Sonic 1?

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

I agree with Shadowlax. Sonic is kind of being sent to die here and I dont think SEGA has any clue about it at all.

SEGA was always the problem. Short-sighted as fuck. The insane production schedule of the PS2/GCN/XB era that culminated in a development environment so toxic that the Franchise's founding fathers all saw fit to leave to regain their spark and love for video game development. Now its the bizarre and pointless attempt at segmenting the franchise; chopping it up into exceedingly disparate pieces while simultaneously clinging to nostalgia of past greatness. And of course, allowing a Live-action movie to be made? Live-Action? 

That too after we got Night of the Werehog; a lovingly crafted animation which I'm sure left a few people clamouring for a Pixar style animated adventure. But instead of using their own Animation studio to pursue this, they ship it off to fucking Hollywood and allow a goddamn Live-action movie to be made?

I just don't understand the thought process. Is it just money? Is there nobody thinking about what would happen when the Cash Cow has been milked to death?

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Absolutely 1

Just going back to the UK release date. Yes December can be as valid a month as any other for a film release but usually studios will be aiming for the first 2 or so weeks to rake in on the Christmas rush with people heading to the cinema whilst they get the Christmas shopping in. December 25 up till New year are very quiet times here in the UK, especially when it comes to films.

The only recent exception I can think of is The Greatest Showman which released Boxing Day last year in the UK. That film had quite a slow start but blew up in popularity thanks to its quality to the point where there's been very few periods this year where it hasn't been showing somewhere here in Glasgow and likely throughout the country.

Even the best Sonic movie isn't going to be the phenomenon TGS turned into. It'll rake in some money from families who go between Christmas and the kids going back to school but I'll bet (still need to check what's coming) that this is gonna be buried by the time the January films come out. 

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I tried to warn you guys for months. I tried to get you prepared for the fact that this movie is going to be it's OWN thing. And Sonic as he appears in the games looks like Snoopy's cousin. That was never going to work for a movie like this.

And this is exactly why live-action/CG hybrid was and always is an awful idea when it comes to cartoony characters. If you put the exact same design they use in cartoon/games/other animated media into a live-action movie, you get Space Jam - the characters look out of place because they're just drawn characters. If you try to make character "like how they'd look like in real life", you get such uncanny abominations as this that it makes the character look out of place even more than no design change at all. Of course the plain design from games wouldn't work, but neither does this.

And I know Detective Pikachu's designs are being liked for what they are, but that's mostly because it actually somewhat managed to strike the balance between the design from games and the "realistic setting" (even if I still don't like how they look). This doesn't strike this balance at all in my eyes outside of the surface level stuff, like quills

And this time you can't get away with "well people like it!". Twitter, this forum, a lot of Discord servers, discussion boards, any other social media website - I've only seen a really  small amount of people actually say "it's a good design". One of those being a huge Penders apologist that called SEGA and talked with them for 30 minutes for nothing other than to say "Fire Ian Flynn for ruining comics!!!!" or whatever. The rest as been either pure disappointment from people or another reason to think that this franchise is just a laughing stock of the whole gaming industry.

I guess the only thing left is for Jim Carrey to somehow carry (ha) this thing, cuz this doesn't bode well. At all.

• Thumbs Up 5

This literally looks like a short gym rat dude in a sonic costume. Hes only missing a tapout shirt.

I'm hurt and shocked. And hurt.

And shocked. And hurt.

• Thumbs Up 1