Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

You know what, I'm gonna be honest: most the reactions to this are really OTT. I'm not gonna tell you to "wait till it comes out" or "we haven't even seen it yet" because it hasn't worked the last 10,000 times and it's not gonna work now, but all the screaming and crying is rather ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 7

Full Press Release.

CULVER CITY, Calif., June 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Pictures Entertainment and Marza Animation Planet, a CG animation film production company of the SEGA SAMMY Group, today announced a partnership to develop a film based on the acclaimed Sonic the Hedgehog video game series. A hybrid CG-animated/live-action feature, the movie will be written by Evan Susser and Van Robichaux and produced by Neal H. Moritz through his Original Film banner, along with Marza's Takeshi Ito and Mie Onishi. Toby Ascher will serve as an executive producer.

The film will look to capture Sonic's irreverent tone and spirit, reuniting him with some of the most revered and infamous characters of the franchise, including the evil Dr. Eggman. Playful, mischievous, and quick on his feet in more ways than one, the world's fastest hedgehog is known for his ability to move at supersonic speed to protect his friends from their enemies. For more than two decades, Sonic has been one of the world's biggest gaming icons and a $1 billion franchise with more than 140 million games sold.

Commenting on the announcement, Hannah Minghella, Columbia Pictures' president of Production said, "There are limitless stories to tell with a character like Sonic the Hedgehog, and a built-in international fan base. Along with our wonderful creative partners at Marza, we're looking to capture everything that generations of fans know and love about Sonic while also growing his audience wider than ever before."

Marza Animation Planet CEO Masanao Maeda added, "Sonic has had dozens of adventures on the console and the small screen, and we're thrilled that he's now coming to the big screen. Sony Pictures has had great success with hybrid animated and live-action features, and we're confident that this collaboration will bring a fresh take to Sonic, while still capturing everything that the fans love about him."

Marza is a leading CG animation production company with the vision to create films to the global market from Japan, by combining global storytelling and Japanese creativity. It plans to release one feature-length film each year.

Hannah Minghella and Andrea Giannetti will oversee for Sony Pictures Entertainment.

ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND INFO:

EVAN SUSSER and VAN ROBICHAUX are alumni of the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre in LA. Their feature film screenplay, Chewie, was ranked No. 3 on the 2011 Black List. They are currently writing How to Grow Up, a series in development for CBS, and Fist Fight, a feature film, with New Girl star Max Greenfield and producers Shawn Levy, Billy Rosenberg, and Dan Cohen. They are also writing a live-action version of "The Jetsons."

NEAL H. MORITZ, founder of Original Film, has been producing feature film and television for over three decades. His upcoming feature films include 22 Jump Street, a sequel to the hit action-comedy starring Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum that took in over $200 million worldwide, Goosebumps, starring Jack Black and based on the international bestselling book series, and Fast & Furious 7, the latest installment in the long-running series. With over 40 films to Moritz's credit, past titles include R.I.P.D., Jack the Giant Killer, Total Recall, The Change-Up, Battle: Los Angeles, The Green Hornet, I Am Legend, XXX, S.W.A.T., Made of Honor, Gridiron Gang, Bounty Hunter, Evan Almighty, Sweet Home Alabama, Click, Vantage Point, Out of Time, Blue Streak, Cruel Intentions, I Know What You Did Last Summer, The Skulls, Volcano, Urban Legend, and Juice. Original Film's box office is north of six billion dollars worldwide.

SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT
Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Entertainment Inc., a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE's global operations encompass motion picture production, acquisition and distribution; television production, acquisition and distribution; television networks; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; and development of new entertainment products, services and technologies. For additional information, go to http://www.sonypictures.com.

MARZA ANIMATION PLANET, INC.
MARZA ANIMATION PLANET, INC. is a wholly owned subsidiary of the SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS INC, the comprehensive entertainment enterprise group. Established in June 2009, CG Image Production Department of SEGA® Corporation has spun-off as Sega Sammy Visual Entertainment Inc. In July 2010, the trade name was changed to MARZA ANIMATION PLANET, INC. In the best filmmaking environment and with Japan's top CG production technology, MARZA develops and produces CG animated film from Japan to the world. For more information, visit http://marza.com.

SEGA® CORPORATION
SEGA® Corporation is a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home, encompassing consumer business, amusement machine sales and amusement center operations. The company develops, publishes and distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. SEGA® Corporation's Web site is located at http://sega.jp.

SOURCE Sony Pictures Entertainment

You know what, I'm gonna be honest: most the reactions to this are really OTT. I'm not gonna tell you to "wait till it comes out" or "we haven't even seen it yet" because it hasn't worked the last 10,000 times and it's not gonna work now, but all the screaming and crying is rather ridiculous.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the same thing people said when people got angry about Shaymalan's Last Airbender, Fox's Dragonball Evolution, and Uwe Boll's numerous video game adaptations.

EDIT: And thanks to the press conference's post about the director's past films he made, this film's possibility of succeeding went into the negatives.

NEAL H. MORITZ, founder of Original Film, has been producing feature film and television for over three decades. His upcoming feature films include 22 Jump Street, a sequel to the hit action-comedy starring Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum that took in over $200 million worldwide, Goosebumps, starring Jack Black and based on the international bestselling book series, and Fast & Furious 7, the latest installment in the long-running series. With over 40 films to Moritz's credit, past titles include R.I.P.D., Jack the Giant Killer, Total Recall, The Change-Up, Battle: Los Angeles, The Green Hornet, I Am Legend, XXX, S.W.A.T., Made of Honor, Gridiron Gang, Bounty Hunter, Evan Almighty, Sweet Home Alabama, Click, Vantage Point, Out of Time, Blue Streak, Cruel Intentions, I Know What You Did Last Summer, The Skulls, Volcano, Urban Legend, and Juice. Original Film's box office is north of six billion dollars worldwide.

• Thumbs Up 1

Moritz is the producer behind the Fast & Furious franchise. He has a Goosebumps adaptation coming up for Sony on Aug. 7, 2015, starring Jack Black.

------

With over 40 films to Moritz's credit, past titles include R.I.P.D., Jack the Giant Killer, Total Recall, The Change-Up, Battle: Los Angeles, The Green Hornet, I Am Legend, XXX, S.W.A.T., Made of Honor, Gridiron Gang, Bounty Hunter, Evan Almighty, Sweet Home Alabama, Click, Vantage Point, Out of Time, Blue Streak, Cruel Intentions, I Know What You Did Last Summer, The Skulls, Volcano, Urban Legend, and Juice.

Fast and Furious? Even those movies were plain mediocre and terrible at best.

Great, now I'm imagining illegal street foot-racing with loud hip hop crap in the background with live action female humans and female CGI anthros in skimpy bikini outfits to sex things up. And the only way Sonic could go full speed is press some Nitro-button. 

Not to mention the rest of Moritz's movie titles he worked on are mostly 'meh'/mediocre to complete sh*t like R.I.P.D, Total Recall, The Green Hornet, Evan Almighty, etc. So his credibility in movie making and production is low and all hope for this movie is totally way down past the bottom of the barrel at this point. 

I guess it's because I'm mostly happy with the current direction of the games and Boom doesn't look like the devil to me (and the cartoon looks pretty cool), but for me personally I can't really be up in arms over this, at least at the moment. A Sonic movie isn't really something I was wanting, anyway.

Still, it's really weird they'd go for the live action thing. I'm genuinely confused why or how that would come up, especially with other upcoming video game movies not doing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I saw "6ft hedgehog" Please don't tell me it's a person playing Sonic? I didn't read through the whole topic but... um?

Finally, i was waaaaaiiiiiiitiinnngg for this for a long time, but live action and CGI together in a movie, it´s dificult to mix this two things,

well, let´s hope the best. But i´m gonna see it anyway, so...

where is my release date???

well...

I hope this has terrible-cheese love value. Like, tries to be serious, but it's so terrible that it's cheesy and has that charm.

oh look, we already have someone with the beginning of the mustache, and the glasses

Jamie%20Hyneman.jpg

and he's bald, here is a good candidate for eggman(physicaly at least

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh boy, this does not please me.

I mean yeah, Marza animating the CGI part of the movie is going to be pretty good but I have really strong doubts that the live action wil be done well, I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong if so.

And the fact the movie will have yearly sequels doesn't seem that promising to me either, I'm pretty they might need more time when it comes to a movie.

At this point, I'll remain neutral until I see a trailer.

If anyone else had problems before.

The official Sonic site now shows the new design.

All I'm hoping for out of this Sonic movie is;

- No human focus

- No focus on some spotlight-stealing newcomer

- NO ARCHIE/SATAM BULLSHIT THANK YOU VERY MUCH

- Refined humor. No gross-out/toilet humor

- No cloying, badly-handled romantic shenanigans

- No character flanderization/mishandling

- An interesting plot that isn't cliche "Sonic and co go to the real world and need to get back home"

- And for the love of God, CGI Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 2

If anyone else had problems before.

The official Sonic site now shows the new design.

where, I can't find it 

I don't know why but I get the strangest feeling Bill Cosby is gonna play Eggman. Just this weird feeling.

As if the franchise needed yet another reason to be a laughing stock :/

Why the hell would they do this? This isn't what the franchise needs. What the franchise needs is for the main series to take a break for a few years (none of this yearly release nonsense) and come out with a good, polished game with a well-defined focus that will revitalize interest in the games. Not this senseless experimentation with spin-offs and TV shows and redesigns and movies and this other dumb shit that is just steering everything off course even further.

y sega

y u do dis

• Thumbs Up 2

Really guys, you keep trying to say what the franchise needs but, who are the professionals here? Sega is. Sega has been working with Sonic since 1991 and Sonic still has so many fans, that no one knows exactly how many fans there are. Plus, how do you even know if it's going to be bad? We don't even have enough information yet. Just let them make the movie before you say it's bad. Sega knows what they are doing. If Sega sees something out of character for Sonic or anyone, they would tell Sony.

Really guys, you keep trying to say what the franchise needs but, who are the professionals here? Sega is. Sega has been working with Sonic since 1991 and Sonic still has so many fans, that no one knows exactly how many fans there are. Plus, how do you even know if it's going to be bad? We don't even have enough information yet. Just let them make the movie before you say it's bad. Sega knows what they are doing. If Sega sees something out of character for Sonic or anyone, they would tell Sony.

Well, technically you are right. SEGA are all professionals in this industry, and ~none of us are. And maybe financially their plans are very sound. I wouldn't know. But from the perspective of giving the franchise focus and direction, and having it regain its status as iconic and beloved, nothing they are doing makes any fucking sense. Comparing what I am seeing from SEGA, and what I'm seeing from other companies as they manage highly successful and renowned franchises, it doesn't look at all like SEGA are taking the right approach.

Maybe they'll make a ton of money in the short term, but this kind of poor management is how IPs die.

IT'S SONIC X THE MOVIE. - without the kool anime like animation sense of speed and design- I'm hoping it's a hype train and it's really in all CGI.. like Sony's other toon movies coming out next year. 

Really guys, you keep trying to say what the franchise needs but, who are the professionals here? Sega is. Sega has been working with Sonic since 1991 and Sonic still has so many fans, that no one knows exactly how many fans there are. Plus, how do you even know if it's going to be bad? We don't even have enough information yet. Just let them make the movie before you say it's bad. Sega knows what they are doing. If Sega sees something out of character for Sonic or anyone, they would tell Sony.

Yet despite that they manage to drop the ball more times than Johnny Sasaki drops a deuce in the Metal Gear Solid series. At this point I'm wondering how much of the upper management even knows what to do anymore.

• Thumbs Up 3

Give me a list of decent-to-good videogame adaption films.

Give me a list of decent-to-good live action/animation hybrid films.

Give me a list of decent-to-good movies by Sony.

Give me a list of decent-to-good works by these writers.

If you cross-reference those lists and manage to get enough results to contest the adage that "the fact this is by Sony and in the vein of the Smurf film only gives us reason to expect the worse", you've saved the hype and should go ask SEGA for PR money.

• Thumbs Up 2

All I'm hoping for out of this Sonic movie is;

- No human focus

- No focus on some spotlight-stealing newcomer

- NO ARCHIE/SATAM BULLSHIT THANK YOU VERY MUCH

- Refined humor. No gross-out/toilet humor

- No cloying, badly-handled romantic shenanigans

- No character flanderization/mishandling

- An interesting plot that isn't cliche "Sonic and co go to the real world and need to get back home"

- And for the love of God, CGI Eggman.

You forgot to add;

- No dancing to crappy pop songs!

*shudder*

• Thumbs Up 3