Jump to content
Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

He's always been around 3'3'

Without the disproportionately large head hands and shoes its just a but more apparent I guess.

Not to mention he looks smaller in the genesis/adventure games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, I've been on and off with this franchise for the last 14 years, and even though it's had some rough patches I've never felt so empty about something this franchise has done. I didn't mind '06 because at least it had great music, I enjoyed X in a so bad it's good way, shrugged off Boom because the supplementary stuff like the TV series was nice to occasionally have as background noise (boom knuckles really did make me chuckle) and just ignored the Forces since it did try but was very misguided. After all, with games like Unleashed and Mania sprinkled in every now and then, it really wasn't that bad at all. 

 

So how did a single poster make me loose all hope 😧?  Unless they're planning to pull a Kojima and this is just a joke to fuel meme fire until they reveal the real thing (which as much as that sounds like wishful thinking, I'm holding out hope), I'm done man. This is melodramatic as hell and won't kill the series but seriously, how did they let this happen when SEGA have access to such great CGI. It's just 'one step forward, two steps back' with this franchise as the Shadow the Hedgehog intro so eloquently put it back in 2005. I hope this movie somehow ends up surprising us all so I can eat my stupid words 😄

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what annoys me most about this is that we just had a Sonic Mania series of shorts which were perfect. An absolutely great foundation for a Sonic film for kids. If they had to do a film they could have gone in that direction, with proven talent who know what they are doing. Just expand that and it probably wouldn't be way out there budget wise compared to this film. 

Instead, we get this terrible type of Hollywood garbage. It's going to be straight into the trash in the same vein as films such as the new Woody Woodpecker.

What a fucking trainwreck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It says a lot that they couldn't get Sonic's design to look right in a realistic setting and SEGA themselves weren't too particular found of his design. Makes you wonder why they even bothered in the first place. Between this and the whole premise of the film I think it's safe to say that this is gonna be hilariously bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kevin said:

All I have to say in regards to my comments on the reveal: Rarely does everyone in the fandom agree on something. This is one of those times.

I... don't think everyone agrees this time. I've seen plenty of people either saying that they're gonna wait until they see a full trailer or a better/clearer image of him, or who actually like what they've seen.

This doesn't seem as unanimous as a Sonic 06 or Rise of Lyric situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I think what annoys me most about this is that we just had a Sonic Mania series of shorts which were perfect. An absolutely great foundation for a Sonic film for kids. If they had to do a film they could have gone in that direction, with proven talent who know what they are doing. Just expand that and it probably wouldn't be way out there budget wise compared to this film. 

Instead, we get this terrible type of Hollywood garbage. It's going to be straight into the trash in the same vein as films such as the new Woody Woodpecker.

What a fucking trainwreck. 

Everything thing either has to be "3D" animation or a mix of 3D and Live-action these days. I miss the days of Disney blockbusters and Warner Bros. hand-drawn or at least 2D styled films. A movie in the style of Mania with a larger budget would be really cool.

Edit: Up in the air though whether or not it could be successful in this current climate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bucket said:

I... don't think everyone agrees this time. I've seen plenty of people either saying that they're gonna wait until they see a full trailer or a better/clearer image of him, or who actually like what they've seen.

This doesn't seem as unanimous as a Sonic 06 or Rise of Lyric situation.

Basically this. I don’t mind this redesign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kevin said:

All I have to say in regards to my comments on the reveal: Rarely does everyone in the fandom agree on something. This is one of those times.

This is like real life independence day for the sonic franchise. We may bicker over things like was SA2 ever good, or nostalgia pandering, but gosh darn it at least sonic looked like sonic in all of that (*cough were hog cough*)

Now all we need is a captivating, militaristic speech giver and a battalion ready to storm SEGA HQ.  We'll continue to not agree on anything, there will be bickeirng back and forth, tostitos will be there for product placement. It'll be great!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is funny because this reminds me of how there was alot of wigging out over the Boom designs when they were silhouetted. Everyone memed about it and outraged and bullied eachother off the internet like always, but once things got revealed that slowly died down until Boom Knuckles eventually became a dead meme. Then it started to grow on ppl.

It'll happen again here ( to what extent, we'll just have to see. ), and if negative, it wont destroy or ruin the franchise forever. History shows that thats not the case and never will be until SEGA's dying breath. If positive, it'll garner its fans and be another offshoot of the franchise. Simple as that. We've been through this before.

On that note though, someone brightened up the poster art and it definitely seems as tho Sonic's face'll be more hedgehog-ish, with two beady lil' eyes with slightly green irises pokin' out and a mouth that opens up at the front. Here's my little take on it! It could be pretty friggin' cute after all! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Miitoons said:

It is funny because this reminds me of how there was alot of wigging out over the Boom designs when they were silhouetted. Everyone memed about it and outraged and bullied eachother off the internet like always, but once things got revealed that slowly died down until Boom Knuckles eventually became a dead meme. Then it started to grow on ppl.

It'll happen again here ( to what extent, we'll just have to see. ), and if negative, it wont destroy or ruin the franchise forever. History shows that thats not the case and never will be until SEGA's dying breath. If positive, it'll garner its fans and be another offshoot of the franchise. Simple as that. We've been through this before.

On that note though, someone brightened up the poster art and it definitely seems as tho Sonic's face'll be more hedgehog-ish, with two beady lil' eyes with slightly green irises pokin' out and a mouth that opens up at the front. Here's my little take on it! It could be pretty friggin' cute after all! 

 

I could live with this. 

10 minutes ago, Myst said:

Even Entertainment Tonight is talking about the backlash..

 

Well, the other guy is defending the design 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

If the trailer presents itself in the same light as Fast and Furious/and/or Guardians then NOBODY is going to believe it's a kiddie movie for 7 year olds. This is why I did NOT want them tk go the Pixar route because the era of Sonic I grew up with in my early childhood was the self-serious era in the Adventure series and 06. I watched Sonic X, SATAM and read the Archie comics based on the modern era. I've alway preferred Sonic as more serious, story-driven games.

 

Okay, gonna stop you right there. I liked the pre Colors era, and at least was indifferent to the Shadow and 06 period. I like it when Sonic is able to have genuinely serious moments without undermining it with bad stand up comedy.

That said, even I think this looks really shoddy. It’s not an evolution or at least a variant of what we consider to be Sonic, but a badly done mutation. You don’t have to make things look uglier or more realistic to make the scenario more serious, and Sonic doesn’t need to be a live action mutant in order to have a strong involving story or become a smash hit in his own right. If me and the other people who have responded to you in previous posts think this looks poor, even though in many cases we’re usually on opposite sides regarding topics like story and aesthetics, then maaaaybe it should be an indicator that something is really wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Miitoons said:

It is funny because this reminds me of how there was alot of wigging out over the Boom designs when they were silhouetted. Everyone memed about it and outraged and bullied eachother off the internet like always, but once things got revealed that slowly died down until Boom Knuckles eventually became a dead meme. Then it started to grow on ppl.

It'll happen again here ( to what extent, we'll just have to see. ), and if negative, it wont destroy or ruin the franchise forever. History shows that thats not the case and never will be until SEGA's dying breath. If positive, it'll garner its fans and be another offshoot of the franchise. Simple as that. We've been through this before.

On that note though, someone brightened up the poster art and it definitely seems as tho Sonic's face'll be more hedgehog-ish, with two beady lil' eyes with slightly green irises pokin' out and a mouth that opens up at the front. Here's my little take on it! It could be pretty friggin' cute after all! 

 

Maybe with his beady eyes being fully green, it could be better. Or Stitch-like green pupils. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.