Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

53 minutes ago, Myst said:

Even Entertainment Tonight is talking about the backlash..

Look mum, I’m on TV!

And I stand by what I said in that tweet, so to echo what most others have already said in this thread - Christ this looks dire.

Holding out hope that the design will somehow be more cartoony is basically just this movie's version of "Team Sonic Racing might have cars AND on-foot, believe me". It's pushing the goalposts back from getting what's actually wanted as a sort of compromising fantasy built on blind hope that this thing won't be as terrible as it obviously will be, and was pretty much going to be ever since it was announced to be live-action. It's not going to look better, the movie was never going to be good, it's not going to be popular, liked, successful and I hope to god it won't get shitty sequels. It's the Sonic movie everyone knew a Sonic movie would eventually turn out as and as a result nobody seriously wanted. Nobody ever does this shit right, why the hell would Sonic be an exception when Sonic often fails to do itself right?

The one and only solace in this is that Sonic is nothing but one more victim in a pool full of better-liked victims and equally-hated films. There's nothing this movie ruins about the series that other movies didn't ruin in theirs.

2 hours ago, Mania Pipe said:

It didn't dawn on me until now, but I'm morbidly curious to think what the others are going to look like if Sonic looking is like THIS...

Same here too.

You ever look at Furry Art that makes Sonic more realistic? Use that as your baseline. 

This isn't a diss as someone in the Fandom. It's actually a compliment if I'm being real here. 

8 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Holding out hope that the design will somehow be more cartoony is basically just this movie's version of "Team Sonic Racing might have cars AND on-foot, believe me". It's pushing the goalposts back from getting what's actually wanted as a sort of compromising fantasy built on blind hope that this thing won't be as terrible as it obviously will be, and was pretty much going to be ever since it was announced to be live-action. It's not going to look better, the movie was never going to be good, it's not going to be popular, liked, successful and I hope to god it won't get shitty sequels. It's the Sonic movie everyone knew a Sonic movie would eventually turn out as and as a result nobody seriously wanted. Nobody ever does this shit right, why the hell would Sonic be an exception when Sonic often fails to do itself right?

The one and only solace in this is that Sonic is nothing but one more victim in a pool full of better-liked victims and equally-hated films. There's nothing this movie ruins about the series that other movies didn't ruin in theirs.

However, the people who saw the teaser trailer in Brazil said that Sonic basically looked like the Sonic that everyone knows and loves, just more realistic. That, to me, seems like reason enough to think that his actual appearance, and not just a silhouette, might look more appropriate and cartoony than this poster leads people to believe.

If the reaction to the teaser trailer was that he looked horrible and like a REAL hedgehog and nothing like the Sonic that everyone knows... then yeah. But that's not the case here.

1 minute ago, Bucket said:

However, the people who saw the teaser trailer in Brazil said that Sonic basically looked like the Sonic that everyone knows and loves, just more realistic. That, to me, seems like reason enough to think that his actual appearance, and not just a silhouette, might look more appropriate and cartoony than this poster leads people to believe.

If the reaction to the teaser trailer was that he looked horrible and like a REAL hedgehog and nothing like the Sonic that everyone knows... then yeah. But that's not the case here.

Maybe they just showed us a rejected model as a joke, and soon we'll see the real Sonic..?

What in the name of fuck are Tails and Knuckles going to look like if they get in?

This is one of the few times I want a Sonic product not to have Sonic's friends, please spare them from this disaster!

Just now, Plasme said:

What in the name of fuck are Tails and Knuckles going to look like if they get in?

This is one of the few times I want a Sonic product not to have Sonic's friends, please spare them from this disaster!

Maybe we'll see them in Sonic's World and they'll have their SEGA design, while Sonic will be transformed when he lands on Earth.

Also, remember that Blur Studios is masterful with film level CG animation. You've yet to see Sonic in motion. They did work for the Batman Arkham games and Doom and Thor: the Dark World. It's going to look great

It can always look a lot better than you're imagining. Also, Razule may have a point considering that Marza is also working on CG for the movie too. 

1b9.jpg

Gee, what a completely unprecedented turn of events. Something that Sonic produces is atrocious and the source of mockery and scorn. Truly these are the dark times for our anthropomorphic marsupial. Oh woe is us. 

7 minutes ago, do a barrel roll said:

That's the thing though. We don't want Sonic to produce bad content anymore.

After Mania I honestly thought that SEGA was getting back on track and I would like to believe that Forces was just a road bump but didn't completely ruin Sonic's reputation at all, but of course we get this movie that's most likely going to be even worse than Sonic 06.

To be fair though, there's reason to believe that SEGA aren't behind this. From the sources, we know that SEGA aren't even happy with the design of the eyes and for all we know, that could extend even further towards the rest of the design as well, and simply wasn't commented on.

Regardless of such, that seems to indicate that somewhere along the lines, SEGA gave up their creative control over the project and the director, the crew, or someone along the way has more control than what SEGA can do. 

If anything, it sounds to me that Paramount has control, not SEGA.

Spider Man fans get Into the Spider-verse.

Pokemon fans get Detective Pikachu.

Even the dang Smurfs got it right eventually.

Yet we Sonic fans get...THIS thing.

I'm probably one of the easiest-to-please Sonic fans in the entire fandom, and even I can't defend how ANYTHING in this movie looks or sounds. They couldn't get the ring sound right in the trailer. Even the worst Sonic games have gotten the ring sound right. And using TED as inspiration?

We've survived 06 and Boom. Can we survive this?

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Would prefer if this was the poster. It would been more badass.:

F00C972B-76A1-4F76-B974-214609162C8F.thumb.jpeg.717efc5b8beb651d8245520db14726b3.jpeg

Seriously, really hope he actually looked like this. Because at this point, things are not looking good for the movie.:

Dude, I would have soiled myself with excitement if that was the poster.

Here is the Japanese reaction to the poster.:

I want to stay positive on the film, but I can’t seem to get used to the design. It looked awkward and weird. It looked like the Detective Pikachu might been actually better than this. At least they keep and respect the designs of the Pokémon.

One thing that I'd like clarification on. I've seen some people say that the people working on the movie have never played a Sonic game, or have no knowledge of the franchise, and thus the movie is being made without any 'passion' or 'love' for the character or the fans.

Has this been confirmed anywhere  or said directly by anyone involved with the movie?

1 minute ago, Bucket said:

One thing that I'd like clarification on. I've seen some people say that the people working on the movie have never played a Sonic game, or have no knowledge of the franchise, and thus the movie is being made without any 'passion' or 'love' for the character or the fans.

Has this been confirmed anywhere  or said directly by anyone involved with the movie?

No. It is a lie. Jeff Fowler literally worked on the CG cutscenes for Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog. Patrick Casey grew up playing the Genesis games.

And Bluecore worked on Shadow the Hedgehog. Not to mention Marza is still involved with the movie. So you can miss me with the "They dont CARE ABOUT THE FRANCHIS!!!11"

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

I mean.. yeah, he'd stick out but at the end of the day, I'd still choose the standard design over this thing.

If they wanted to make a Roger Rabbit-esque movie, I'd agree with you. But that design would not work in a grounded blockbuster live action. 

26 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Spider Man fans get Into the Spider-verse.

Pokemon fans get Detective Pikachu.

Even the dang Smurfs got it right eventually.

Yet we Sonic fans get...THIS thing.

I'm probably one of the easiest-to-please Sonic fans in the entire fandom, and even I can't defend how ANYTHING in this movie looks or sounds. They couldn't get the ring sound right in the trailer. Even the worst Sonic games have gotten the ring sound right. And using TED as inspiration?

We've survived 06 and Boom. Can we survive this?

Dude, I would have soiled myself with excitement if that was the poster.

Not that there was much to get right to begin with for the Smurfs. Garfield and Yogi Bear weren’t so lucky in the slightest, though.