Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

19 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

For the reactions of how bad this design looks, all this proves to me is what I've believed for months -  it's the thing that people have been saying for months on end, that this shouldn't have been a live-action movie to begin with. From the very beginning, there was a clear precedence against these movies either video game adaptions, or live action adaptions in general that there isn't faith placed in these franchises. Producers and studios want to bank on a big name mascot due to their large fanbase having a pre-established market behind them, but then they don't understand why people likes it to begin with. They begin changing details here, there and everywhere to pander to focus groups, and what they believe is the "general audience" without realising why a character has appeal to begin with.

Furthermore, animation isn't just some niche thing that only kids go to watch, plenty of adults, especially in this day and age that grew up with certain characters, shows, and whatever else see animation as a legitimate art-form and will go watch them. Animation is perfect for Sonic because it allows the benefits of his world, his universe, and his designs to pop and be as absolutely expressive as possible.

Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse is being hailed as the best Spider-Man movie to date and that's an animated film that's at a simple PG rating and both fans of Spidey and kids can get into it, because not only does the animation allow the original style of the comics to absolutely pop and breath new life into the series, but it also doesn't stray away from his downright ridiculous comics can be. We have fucking Spider-Ham in the movie. The movie with Spider-Ham and an anime girl with a giant mecha robot spider is being praised as the best version of this iconic character yet. Why? Because not only is it incredibly well-done, not only does it have faith in all of the aspects that made Spider-Man so iconic - both silly and serious, but it does something downright unique and creative. 

Everything about Into the Spider-Verse is so unlike anything we've seen before in terms of Spider-Man. We've got proper representation of characters we've never seen before in film, like Kingpin. We've got concepts that weren't even attempted before due to worries it'd be confusing to general audiences, like the age-old comic concept of an entire multiverse filled with different and completely insane versions of different characters. The Ultimate universe for the longest time was a niche thing that had only gotten Ultimate Spider-Man's game tie-in at best, now here it is with a film featuring it and a ton more, and it's getting loved by fans and what seems to be general audiences. These concepts that film companies thought people wouldn't like is now being hailed as the best thing to come out of the series in years. 

The idea that a Sonic film couldn't have worked in animation is downright ridiculous to me, and there has been so many more films before this that should've made that fact undeniably clear by now. This isn't a movie based around Sonic, his world, and his universe, it's a separate movie altogether that's trying to change Sonic and force him to fit into it's world, and that is absolutely awful to me, because if your best idea for making a movie based on the character is draining him of what made him iconic, distinct, and fun to begin with, then it's certainly not a movie based on that character to me. There was so much potential in this movie to be something special, creative, and fun, something that had the charm of Mania, and instead we're stuck with what looks to be just another soulless cash-grab trying too hard to pander to what executives think the general audiences will like without even stopping to consider why the character in question was so beloved to begin with. 

At least the Mario movie might be good, at the very least they've seemed to understand that animation was the best idea to take the series. 

Nailed it

Such a shame...The franchise was just restoring its name with titles like Mania, and then this happens. I actually thought it was a joke when I first saw it. Still thinking its an April Fools joke...

And I am not saying a movie would be bad. I just think the way Sonic looks...well...I won't go into details...just ugh...Yikes.

On 12/11/2018 at 3:48 AM, Ryannumber1Santa said:

At least the Mario movie might be good, at the very least they've seemed to understand that animation was the best idea to take the series. 

I think this is the key argument why movies like Spiderman work and why even the Detective Pikachu and Super Mario movie might work. People do understand what makes Spiderman who he is. People also do understand the lore of Pokémon and Mario. You can not really say the same thing about Sonic. Nobody really understands Sonic. Not even Sonic Team, or Sega, some writers or even us fans. I for sure can't. 

I can not actually explain other people what Sonic is supposed to be. Yeah, he is a blue hedgehog that runs really fast, eats a lot of chili dogs and stops Dr. Eggman to take over the world.  But that's about it. I can't really explain what his universe for example is. Does it takes place on earth, on Mobius? Is it the current time or the future? Do humans live in this world or not? Are dimension and time traveling a thing in Sonic? How is the tone? Is it an adventure, a comedy, a drama?

No one can really tell, because Sega changed Sonic so much over the years, to the point where this series has no real idea what it wants to be.

This movie will likely be another new take-on on Sonic with a different tone, a different universe and new main characters. 

6 minutes ago, Rowl said:

I think this is the key argument why movies like Spiderman work and why even the Detective Pikachu and Super Mario movie might work. People do understand what makes Spiderman who he is. You can not really say the same thing about Sonic. Nobody really understands Sonic. No one can tell. Either Sega, writers or even us fans. I for sure can't. 

I can not actually explain other people what Sonic is supposed to be. Yeah, he is a blue hedgehog that runs really fast, eats chili dogs and stops Dr. Eggman to take over the world.  But that's about it. I can't really explain what the universe for example is. Those it takes place on earth, on Mobius? Is it the current time or the future? Do humans live in this world or not? Are dimension and time travel a thing in Sonic? How is the tone? Is it an adventure, a comedy, a drama?

No one can really tell, because Sega changed Sonic so much over the years. This series has no real idea what it wants to be.

People understand who Sonic is tho. The very basic premise is Sonic and co. fighting Dr.Eggman to prevent the mad scientist from taking over the world and turning it into an amusement park. We don't need to deal with the whole two worlds stuff, time travel, alternate universe stuff. Especially since SEGA themselves don't really give a shit about that stuff. 

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

We don't need to deal with the whole two worlds stuff, time travel, alternate universe stuff. Especially since SEGA themselves don't really give a shit about that stuff. 

Than why even bring this idea up, if no one should care about it? This is actually not really a good attitude. People, no matter if its the fans or the creators, should show interest about stuff like this. Those are in the end very important key elements for a story. If they do no matter in the end, than the whole story doesn't matter as well.

17 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Than why even bring this idea up, if no one should care about it? This is actually not really a good attitude. People, no matter if its the fans or the creators, should show interest about stuff like this. Those are in the end very important key elements for a story. If they do no matter in the end, than the whole story doesn't matter as well.

I'm not disagreeing with you but you can tell that with the games they just straight up don't care. May I remind you that with Sonic Generations they kept stating that they were traveling through time and that Classic Sonic was from the past but with Forces he's from an alternate universe? 

I am actually intrigued by the design they're going for (and to be honest, I like what they did with Sonic's arms lol.  The blue arms are probably a shot at ole' he who shall not be named and rhymes with dan pan).  If anything, Sonic make look interesting...Jim Carrey is still the worst Robotnik ever though! :0

Also this from /r/sonicthehedgehog, which is basically what I was trying to do except whoever did it wasn't restricted to their phone at the time.

I actually wouldn't really mind if his face ends up looking like this, it's kinda cute. But a real hedgehog's face on a freaky human body is uncanny valley territory.

59CA2D47-890B-4A22-AF0F-DAA331332F35.jpeg

1 minute ago, horridus said:

An ironic statement from the man given that that redesign is the precise kind of thing he himself would peddle and encourage, and his OWN ideas weren't exactly going to wow the fandom either given his hyperfixation on a niche part of the franchise to the exclusion of everything else. 

Honestly though, I wouldn't pay much attention to what he says in regards to this film. Penders has repeatedly tried to deny that this was ever going to happen and demonstrated a rather prolonged amount of bitterness over the fact that its happening while his own ambitions died in flames. Even if this film looked good he'd still trash it for the simple crime of not being the film HE was going to make. His two cents ain't worth a halfpenny. 

Well said. 

5 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

No. It is a lie. Jeff Fowler literally worked on the CG cutscenes for Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog. Patrick Casey grew up playing the Genesis games.

Well that just makes this whole thing even more baffling. Sadly loving something apparently doesn't always translate to understanding the material.

So now we don't have a cartoony, mickey-mouse-esque blue "hedgehog" that doesn't "fit" with humans, we have a creature that has the beady-eyed head of a real hedgehog, the hairdo and proportions of a cartoon, supplanted onto the body of a burly, furry toddler... Who is also still blue. Great win for realism, though?

Who will actually like this design? Parents are probably gonna be offput by how freaky it looks as a mascot targeted at their kids, kids won't be drawn in with his awkward body proportions, especially compared to the smooth and appealing cartoon aesthetic he's renowned for, teenagers will know better and probably laugh at it, fans already hate it, adults won't know how to respond to it...

Seems like the only real reason for people to watch this outside the potential trainwreck it could be, is Jim Carrey as Eggman. Which hey, it's something. It'll do nothing for the Sonic brand specifically, just fans of Carrey who want to see whatever other dumb popcorn flicks he stars in, but it's still... something, I guess...

Tbh guys, I'm thinking more and more this movie isn't for 'us' (the fans). Every post regarding it on FB has massively more likes than angry or laughing reacts. Sure, there are negative comments but they're still disproportionate to the casuals who just see the post and think 'Hey, that's cool!' *like*

All signs point to the design looking like shit (and I'm sure, by now after seeing the Detective Pikachu reactions, the creative team realise the fucked up) but I'm sure it'll still make an insane amount of money regardless.

I do have a question:

This seems to happen a lot. You take a cartoon character, throw him to a live action world. You have to tweak the design to make it fit. The design is almost always panned.

You'd think film studios would stop doing this but no. They keep at it. They just keep on trying to stick a round peg in a volcanic hole. 

... Why?