Jump to content
Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I do have a question:

 

This seems to happen a lot. You take a cartoon character, throw him to a live action world. You have to tweak the design to make it fit. The design is almost always panned.

You'd think film studios would stop doing this but no. They keep at it. They just keep on trying to stick a round peg in a volcanic hole. 

... Why? 

Because it keeps making them money. That's why there are 4 Alvin movies, 2 Smurf movies, 5 Transformers and 2 TMNTs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr Ryan said:

Tbh guys, I'm thinking more and more this movie isn't for 'us' (the fans).

This is actually the case for most live action movies of famous cartoon characters. Look at the first two Smurf movies. They have almost nothing in common with the source material. Same you can also say about the Garfield movies, the Chipmunks movies and also with Sonic. This movie was mostly made to bring in new kids to the franchise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Rowl said:

This is actually the case for most live action movies of famous cartoon characters. Look at the first two Smurf movies. They have almost nothing in common with the source material. Same you can also say about the Garfield movies, the Chipmunks movies and also with Sonic. This movie was mostly made to bring in new kids to the franchise. 

I'm real curious how well that actually works in real life.

Say a kid genuinely likes this movie, checks out the previous Sonic stuff only to find out it's nothing like the movie but some cartoony hedgehog with his cutesy friends in colorful cartoony environments. Will he really stick around?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is true, although I never know why people compare Sonic to very young kids franchises like Alvin and Smurfs. This is clearly going for the TMNT and Transformers crowds. And I have no doubt it will success 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

Because it keeps making them money. That's why there are 4 Alvin movies, 2 Smurf movies, 5 Transformers and 2 TMNTs 

Alvin & the Chipmunks at least had aesthetically pleasing designs. Their cartoon renditions left much to the imagination, so it’s easy to adapt.

Smurfs had an accurate design, the movies just weren’t what everyone wanted.

Transformers had designs that many could understand, even if too overdesigned, but it’s the movies themselves that were disliked. Bumblebee promises a good movie, with classic designs, so people are enjoying that.

TMNT had so many different renditions to their designs over their existence, that the designs for the films were “love it or hate it”, because it was just yet another look for the turtles. And it isn’t even their first movie.

But Sonic, it just doesn’t even follow who the character is. Everyone knows the classic shoes, with the movie lacks. It added details that were not required, like those healthy supple legs. Other renditions of Sonic are not even close to extreme as this movie Sonic (Boom Sonic is nothing, but this is too much). And nothing vibes well, it just isn’t Sonic. And as a gaming icon, everyone and their mother knows Sonic, and so many are saying that this isn’t Sonic.

You keep saying it’s for a new audience, but forget that many new audiences have already heard of Sonic. So they already have an expectation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rowl said:

I'm not really sure about that. Sonic is for me much closer to kids shows like The Smurfs and MLP. 

But it's an action franchise? He runs around at the speed of sound, transforms into a Super Saiyan knock-off and fights robots and other monsters (and occasionally the Government). Much closer to other action franchises than their weird kids shows like Smurfs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's airplanes, spaceships, a battle between good and evil, all centered around high adreline speed from the first games on.
Can't imagine MLP or the Smurfs going around a Scrap Brain Zone type envirement.
I think Sonic is closer to Transformers and Turtles, even if it's the 80's cartoons were talking about.
Altough Sonic has been all over the place, so I can imagine people who got into the franchise from SOnic Colors on thought the series was closer to Alvin and the Chipmunks, yeah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alexios31 said:

Wow.... look. This more is getting a theatrical release. I can’t believe some things that I’m reading. 

You could have said the same for the other movies he mentioned at one point. Now there is a small chance that studios could dump films onto Netflix if they believe that the sale price would be better than whatever they'll make by releasing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

Kenny's two cents on the topic:

 

Makes sense. It can join the club of franchises Netflix ruined. 

Look, I'm sorry about all the... 3 people on the planet who genuinely liked this and wanna watch it... But Paramount should cancel this. Or change it completely. Or at least, make a big joke about all this like Deadpool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dr Ryan said:

But it's an action franchise? He runs around at the speed of sound, transforms into a Super Saiyan knock-off and fights robots and other monsters (and occasionally the Government). Much closer to other action franchises than their weird kids shows like Smurfs.

Talespin and Darkwing Duck do also have a lot of action in their shows, but are also called out kids shows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Rowl said:

This movie was mostly made to bring in new kids to the franchise.

Let's be brutally honest here...is this gonna bring in new kids to the existing franchise? Or is it just gonna create yet another subsection of the franchise..

Another subsection of the franchise, with another subsection of the fanbase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tarnish said:

Let's be brutally honest here...is this gonna bring in new kids to the existing franchise? Or is it just gonna create yet another subsection of the franchise..

The second thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, real talk. Have you guys ever noticed that everytime SEGA played the "silhouette game", it turn out bad? Remember with me:

Project Needlemouse aka Sonic 4.

Sonic Lost World

Sonic Boom!

Sonic Forces (the avatar)

It seems that SEGA knows when they're gonna get mixed to bad reception, so they play this stupid game. It's almost as if they're ashamed of what they're doing instead of proud. It's a feeling of "hide this thing as long as we can, and don't make a big deal out of it, fly under the radar". Now compare it to Sonic Mania, a project you could see crystal clear they were proud of: revelead during an event with a trailer and a playable demo. Amazing marketing campaign with nostalgic ads remades, trailers with hand drawn animation, post-release content and even an YouTube series. 

I wanna see this energy in everything Sonic. Why they keep fucking up and not learning? Stop with this bullshit, SEGA. Stop it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Talespin and Darkwing Duck do also have a lot of action in their shows, but are also called out kids shows. 

Ah Sonic's still 'edgier' than those. In the last game we was beaten and "killed", then it turned out he was being tortured for six months in space prison instead. In SA2 you had all the shit on the Ark too, with Gerald Robotnik's daughter/granddaughter getting shot or killed in some way. There's usually some world ending threat and big battles in space and now and again a character "dying". All that, coupled with the freakiest hunk-Sonic design makes it clear what tone they're going for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cousins laughed at the poster. They used to be fans of Sonic but overtime they had enough. When this film was announced in 2014, they weren't excited because the franchise always screw themselves up.

Their point was proven yet again. What. A. Joke.

"But but! This film is targeted to a different audience!" Screw you, man. If this is targeted for 3+ kids, they may actually be scared of the design and I certainly don't want them growing up thinking that is how Sonic looks like. I want them to cancel this film, but if it's too late, bury this film ASAP after release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

My cousins laughed at the poster. They used to be fans of Sonic but overtime they had enough. When this film was announced in 2014, they weren't excited because the franchise always screw themselves up.

Their point was proven yet again. 

"But but! This film is targeted to a different audience!" Screw you, man. If this is targeted for 3+ kids, they may actually be scared of the design and I certainly don't want them growing up thinking that is how Sonic looks like.

It won't be that dramatic. I was a kid in 93, as were my friends (obviously lol) and we all knew there was a blatent difference between movie Mario, video game Mario and TV Mario.

Like wise, we knew SegaSonic, SatAM and AoStH were all different universes. Because they're all blatently completely different.

Mario movie was a flop but it didn't damage the brand. This won't either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dr Ryan said:

It won't be that dramatic. I was a kid in 93, as were my friends (obviously lol) and we all knew there was a blatent difference between movie Mario, video game Mario and TV Mario.

Like wise, we knew SegaSonic, SatAM and AoStH were all different universes. Because they're all blatently completely different.

Mario movie was a flop but it didn't damage the brand. This won't either.

I'm talking about the kids that are not really in to video games. This will be their introduction to Sonic. There will be marketing campaigns and everything.

And the difference between then and now is that Sonic was actually cool. Today? He's a joke. So it will damage the brand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

I'm talking about the kids that are not really in to video games. This will be their introduction to Sonic. There will be marketing campaigns and everything.

And the difference between then and now is that Sonic was actually cool. Today? He's a joke. So it will damage the brand.

I respectfully disagree. No crap video game adaptation has ever damaged a brand. Not Mario, Street Fighter, Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider... none of them. And with the internet, it's incredible easy to research. There will still be Sonic games getting released around the time of this. It comes out a few months after Team Sonic Racing for starters. Ain't no one gonna get confused by this. Besides, it might actually be really good. Maybe...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dr Ryan said:

I respectfully disagree. No crap video game adaptation has ever damaged a brand. Not Mario, Street Fighter, Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider... none of them. And with the internet, it's incredible easy to research. There will still be Sonic games getting released around the time of this. It comes out a few months after Team Sonic Racing for starters. Ain't no one gonna get confused by this. Besides, it might actually be really good. Maybe...

You named every single franchise here that generally gets good reception when it comes to video games. This is the opposite for Sonic.

But maybe you're right with me saying it will damage the brand. The brand has already been damaged, and this film will probably worsen it.

Team Sonic Racing already got a mixed/bad reception, that's why they had to delay the release so the developers have more time to make sure this game is properly polished. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, it is scary that Paramount think anything about this is good so far. The logo is terrible, the tag line is terrible, the very concept of Sonic in the "real world" is annoying (why can't it just be a beautiful CGI film, like a Pixar or Illumination production?), and now this cop-out silhouette of what looks to be a pretty terrible and terrifying redesign of a classic, iconic character.

Seriously, let's stop and look at some facts: In Who Framed Roger Rabbit, none of the cartoon characters were changed at all and yet interacted perfectly with the real world; Yogi Bear wasn't changed that drastically for Yogi Bear, so why the weird, compulsive need to screw around with Sonic? I love how they tried to spin it and say they wanted to realistic portray him as he would be in real-life but, news flash, it's a talking blue hedgehog who runs at the speed of sound! There was never anything realistic about Sonic so why do this now?

Honestly, only my complete and total devotion to the franchise and character is allowing me to give this the benefit of the doubt but it is very questionable. Like, did they not hear how people (I think literally everyone?) complained about Michael Bay's redesigns of the Transformers and Ninja Turtles? What about the backlash from Sonic Boom? I actually liked those redesigns but even I will admit some of them (Knuckles...) were very extreme but this takes the cake!

All they had to do was make it a completely CGI film and nothing would have to change. Surely that would be cheaper in this day and age than doing a CGI/live-action hybrid? But, yeah, I agree with Jango; the whole silhouette thing shows they have no confidence in this. I am legitimately scared to see how Eggman turns out 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.