Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Just now, Razule said:

I think the basic gist is that he feels that there was no need to make him realistic because people can already suspend their disbelief for his design? Guessing "fairy" means something closer to "cartoon" or something. Or "imaginary", "make-believe". 

Yep, I think it's more "fantastic creature", a bit like the Fairy type in Pokemon.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

I think the basic gist is that he feels that there was no need to make him realistic because people can already suspend their disbelief for his design? Guessing "fairy" means something closer to "cartoon" or something. Or "imaginary", "make-believe".

Probably, still Sonic with fairy wings

Make it happen internet! (especially classic sonic, I would do it myself if i was not crap at artwork)

I’m wondering if I should make a separate topic for people who either like the new design, or who think that a clearer reveal/better look is needed before proclamations of doom and gloom. Or heck, for people who think that the doom and gloom isn’t needed regardless of the final product. Unless... that thread would just end up getting merged with this one.

Wow, I've been out of this dread since the middle of 2018. And looking through the recent comments, I'm asking myself: WHAT THE HELL HAVE I'VE BEEN MISSING?

• Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, Ruomarta said:

Wow, I've been out of this dread since the middle of 2018. And looking through the recent comments, I'm asking myself: WHAT THE HELL HAVE I'VE BEEN MISSING?

you missed out on stuff that you better be happy for.

4 minutes ago, Bucket said:

I’m wondering if I should make a separate topic for people who either like the new design, or who think that a clearer reveal/better look is needed before proclamations of doom and gloom. Or heck, for people who think that the doom and gloom isn’t needed regardless of the final product. Unless... that thread would just end up getting merged with this one.

Only 2 people would post in it.

• Chuckle 4

2 minutes ago, MarioAmigosYT said:

if you want to look at the design again... yeah

I saw it. It's a bit creepy I'll admit, but like some other people have said, I'm gonna wait until a full reveal before I make a judgement. You know, it kind of makes you wander if Rouge was going to be in the movie, how will she look(this is a serious question if anyone's wondering).

Ohshima-san then responded to someone's question on twitter; "Are they making a mistake with a realistic hedgehog?"

His reply was "I do not know until I watch the video."

I feel sorry for him. To see the character he created given such a poor design must feel insulting.

Especially when he still creates really good Sonic art, such as the piece he did in support of Mania:

Image result for sonic mania ohshima san

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

Ohshima-san then responded to someone's question on twitter; "Are they making a mistake with a realistic hedgehog?"

His reply was "I do not know until I watch the video."

I feel sorry for him. To see the character he created given such a poor design must feel insulting.

Especially when he still creates master-pieces like the piece of art he did in support of Mania:

Image result for sonic mania ohshima san

A very mature response from him, thank goodness.

11 minutes ago, PaddyFancy said:

It should have been a full reveal in the first place. They had nothing to gain with a teaser like this.

Revealing the design in increments gives them multiple amounts the press. 

If you don’t want people to make a judgement about a teaser reveal, don’t release a teaser reveal. There you go. No discussion. No negativity.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly despair at how the main draw of Sonic's design has once again been ignored here - its simplicity. Why would you completely change the look of a nostalgic icon for a film where the whole appeal is the presence of said icon? As has been said, Sonic's design is a deft yet simplistic hybrid of Japanese and American cartoonism that allows people to recognise the brand from just the sight of a blue spikey thing with one eye. Why why why would you mess with that?

I just really don't understand why there is this seemingly constant need to redesign every time Sonic enters a new genre or field. Can we not just have some consistency in this franchise?

A few changes are of course to be expected, but honestly, what are they smoking over there at Paramount to think that this sort of Frankensteine nightmare would not be a bad, or at the very least, a risky idea. We're talking about a franchise that has a wobbly reception and already invites weird associations or ridicule due to the character's being anthropomorphic animals. 

The entire management of this franchise is honestly so frustrating - why do they always insist on taking these damn risks?

I echo the opinion that this will simply be laughed at. Had they gone down the road of Pixar/Wreck-it-Ralph with a fully CGI adventure where the focus is instead on some gorgeous animation and engaging writing that could breathe some life into the pre-established world, or heck even a new universe, I would have gladly gone to see it in theatres. From the looks of it, I'll be holding my head in my hands to even watch the reviews at home.

Calling it now - this is gonna tank. 

Also - what does that tagline even mean? "A whole new speed of hero" That was what they came up with?

• Thumbs Up 6

Well I too am holding out for the final reveal, but the motion picture doesnt give me much confidence.

I mean after the horrible designs of the Michel Bay TMNT movies lets say that I totally get the apprehension.

Thogh I dont get the blind praise of PeterPancake

Guess he likes freakish abominations :D

I mean why have designs that respect the original design like this:

When you can have this amairite?

The new one is better of course because it has Michel bay explosions!

• Thumbs Up 1

So we're in the damage control phase now, are we?  You know they're running scared when the movie's writer actually feels forced to acknowledge that everyone hates it.

2 minutes ago, FFWF said:

So we're in the damage control phase now, are we?  You know they're running scared when the movie's writer actually feels forced to acknowledge that everyone hates it.

Yuparoony.

Might even delay the film too, if the backlash is like this it may take another year or two to get a better Sonic model in here

• Too Many Rings 1

Oshima-san is all right.

They should've never taken the realistic approach.

I REALLY hope they notice the shit decision and pull a "X-Men Origins' Deadpool" joke. Have the real Modern Sonic design mocking this abomination. It's not too late and it would be a great turn around.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Yuparoony.

Might even delay the film too, if the backlash is like this it may take another year or two to get a better Sonic model in here

LMAO don't get your hopes up. No way they delay this movie/and/or change the design because of fan backlash. They'd have to not only redo all of the Sonci scenes with the new model, but they have to completely retool all of the promo material they've already made for the movie. They would have to reshoot scene.  At minimum, that would take another year.. This comes with the territory and everybody involved knew the fans were going to tear into the movie. Paramount has already been through this ordeal two times w two different franchises already. Nothing new for them. 

No matter what they did, fans were always going to hate the design. Even when I was posting less extreme version of what we have now, nobody wanted it and they just wanted the game design. Most already knowing it was never going to happen. 

Everybody wants to blame Tim Miller but where is the blame for Sega? They approved the design. Lizuka had veto power to make sure the movie didn't devolve into something unrecognizable.