Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

3 hours ago, FFWF said:

So we're in the damage control phase now, are we?  You know they're running scared when the movie's writer actually feels forced to acknowledge that everyone hates it.

What's this referring to? 

I really don't get what planet they're living on that they think this would have ever been received well. What is this obsession in Hollywood with trying to make very cartoony designs fit in with the aesthetic of the real world. It's inevitably going to look jarring as you're trying to apply realistic proportions to characters whose designs depend upon their wonky limbs, ginormous heads and unnatural eyes. 

Seriously, what are they going to do with those peepers? Sonic's eyes are a classic cartoon staple of a single white void with oval dots in the middle. I pray the rumours aren't true and we aren't getting some sort of weird beady-eyed hedgehog thing. 

Had they used the current design - a tried and tested one - there simply wouldn't have been a backlash. The whole project would've likely been easier to promote too; you could have a tie-in game, references in current Sonic titles etc.

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

No matter what they did, fans were always going to hate the design. Even when I was posting less extreme version of what we have now, nobody wanted it and they just wanted the game design. Most already knowing it was never going to happen.

I dunno if we had the reveal be more like his game counterpart it would be fine.

Going too realistic is wrong though

29 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

What are you going to do guys.

Believe your own eyes or what someone who works on the Movie tells you?

8 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

No matter what they did, fans were always going to hate the design. Even when I was posting less extreme version of what we have now, nobody wanted it and they just wanted the game design. Most already knowing it was never going to happen. 

I don't remember anyone saying they wanted the monster from a body shock movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, The Loudest Loud said:

As somebody that's studied animation for the past 5 years, proportions are THE first thing that get noticed when they're not right and definitely way before the face.

Even if Sonic had never existed before this movie, the proportions are completely out of whack. It's not just "thick arms" it's how they relate to the rest of his body. His hands and feet are too small, not because "boo hiss change" but they balance Sonic's large head which has been retained in this redesign. If they HAD to change Sonic's proportions (and I don't think there's much room to do so without breaking the design) there's no way there was no middle ground between noodle arms and full human style biceps and thighs. There's an edit of the poster a few pages back that scales up the hands and feet, and tones back the limbs a bit without reverting them completely to the standard Sonic proportions. Those tweaks completely save the design for me.

Even if the face is actually fair Sonic-like it's only gonna make the rest of the body stick out even more.

Blur studios has worked on Deadpool, Sonic, Thor: TDW, Halo, Arkham series etc. They've won an Academy Award for their animations. Not to discredit your time studying animation but these guys have been doing work for blockbuster films since 1995. I'm pretty sure they know what proportions look right on the character. Everybody in here has suddenly become an expert on character design, acting like they know more than producers with 20+ years of experience in the industry.

Just now, PeterPancake said:

Blur studios has worked on Deadpool, Sonic, Thor: TDW, Halo, Arkham series etc. They've won an Academy Award for their animations. Not to discredit your time studying animation but these guys have been doing work for blockbuster films since 1995. I'm pretty sure they know what proportions look right on the character. Everybody in here has suddenly become an expert on character design, acting like they know more than producers with 20+ years of experience in the industry.

Yeah but even the best studios fuck up now and then.

4 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Sonic Team has been making games for over 25 years. 65% of them suck.

Time isn’t a guarantor of quality. Even the longest running team is prone to fuck ups, which is what we’re seeing here. I’ve been drawing Sonic for 10 years - doesn’t mean I’ll never draw a bad picture of Sonic ever now.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 3

Reading that IGN article, when they talk about how the eyes "wouldn't look right" if they went with the uni eye route for movie Sonic's design, to me, it's as if to say they already had the motioned captured humanoid model in place before actually starting with Sonic's head to even come to that conclusion, as if to say they had to design everything around the man that was rigged in order for everything else to be homogenized instead of having an idea of what Sonic would look like beforehand and design his features around that for the movie. I feel like something like that should work the other way around.

Whatever the design philosophy was and how they actually went about it doesn't even matter though, because evidently the end result concluded it to looking ridiculous and sorely misguided, and that's just going by the silhouette. What I don't understand is, if Sega was so "lockstep" around this whole process as they themselves mention in the article.... then how did something like this fly by? Aren't these the same guys who're crazy with mandates based on Sonic's appearance in other media? Idk...This, with the whole "Oh yea, Movie Sonic still looks familiar just with visible fur" thing also just seems like another big case of people who actually played a roll in the success of this movie just weren't speaking up when it was crucial. 

Ugh, whatever. I already knew what the deal was for this movie, so it's really not all that surprising (even though I honestly didn't think they'd actually make a humanoid Sonic as I thought they'd have more sense than that). The only thing I can honestly look forward to is that new voice actor for movie Sonic, because I recall him sounding pretty good based on his other work. This movie sure as hell still isn't getting my money, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Sonic Team has been making games for over 25 years. 65% of them suck.

Time isn’t a guarantor of quality. Even the longest running team is prone to fuck ups, which is what we’re seeing here. I’ve been drawing Sonic for 10 years - doesn’t mean I’ll never draw a bad picture of Sonic ever now.

If you didn't know what Sonic looked like in the games, would you honestly hate this design as much as you all do?

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

If you didn't know what Sonic looked like in the games, would you honestly hate this design as much as you all do?

I think I'd still think the cartoony head on the small human/ape body looks weird.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

One of my major concerns as well. What's the point of creating brand awareness with something that is not truthful to brand aesthetics, thematic, or imagery to sell your product. It makes no sense and just further fractures the franchise.

I' wouldn't be surprised if it came down to lack of understanding from these bigwig corporate people: they think because something worked well for a franchise, they can apply it to anything and get the same results. So just because they could make a mutated live-action TMNT movie that made money, they probably think that treatment will work just as well for Sonic.

Like in video games. I haven't played them myself, but I hear Dead Space is a perfect example. It was a cool little niche survival horror franchise, but EA was hell-bent on making it a mainstream franchise with Dead Space 3. When that obviously failed bacause surprise, surprise, you can't just make something a mainstream success by a flip of a switch, they pretty much killed off the franchise.

For most huge corporations, niche success is not good enough, it's either mainstream of bust.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I'd still look at a thin, disproportionate, weirdly human-esque rat that likes to run sprints, so yes

• Thumbs Up 4

25 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I canonly speak for myself but yes. Yes I would. Because it's an oddly muscular body with a giant head. It looks extremely wrong.

Well to be fair, to say the SEGA people outright said the word "awful" in those specific words is a bit much.

It's not like we've foaming at the mouth since this was revealed, I'm calm! I'm having fun looking at what people are saying. ..being relaxed isn't going to change my feelings though. And unless this is an early April Fool's after all, I don't see how the design in full could look much better than what I'm imagining from the silhouette.

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

Lol oh wow!

So I asked the writer of the Sonic Movie on Twitter if his "everyone should relax" tweet is also aimed at the creators of Sonic.

When he said "Yes it is", I pointed out that was kinda disrespectful...

His reaction...

So whatever you do. Don't try to start a dialogue about how labelling people with genuine concerns as being hysterical is a bit offensive or else he'll take the ball away.

Mission accomplished? What mission was that?

1 minute ago, Bucket said:

So should no one calm down? Should this just continue on as it is or even magnify?

I mean, it's just one image. Eventually people will run out of things to say. Until the full thing is revealed, and then the teasers and trailers come out. And then, eventually, some time after the movie has been released, there will be calm.

3 minutes ago, Bucket said:

I'm guessing that's in reference to the idea that he was trying to find out if the creators were upset with the new design? If so, then that did get the job done haha

Edit: On another note, it shows that the lead writer is not open to criticism.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

I mean, it's just one image. Eventually people will run out of things to say. Until the full thing is revealed, and then the teasers and trailers come out. And then, eventually, some time after the movie has been released, there will be calm.

Oh I'm sure that it'll die down eventually, no doubt about that.

It just sucks that it has to be THIS way until then. X_X

Probably proving that the guy doesn't actually care what anybody thinks including the creators/owners of Sonic and just wants everybody to shut up so the movie team can continue the delusion that every choice the movie has made is great.

Oh I'm sure that it'll die down eventually, no doubt about that.

It just sucks that it has to be THIS way until then. X_X

What way? People criticizing something?

4 minutes ago, Bucket said:

That's the part you want to focus on?

Not the part about how the writer thinks that anyone with genuine concerns is just hysterica