Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Well, this wouldn't be the first time we've seen Sonic in live action.

1357867761.jpg

Yes, it was a fan film meant to merely be a film that tried to see if Sonic could be done well, but even with a low budget... it was still shit. Blending an animated talking Hedgehog with a human cast was far more awkward than it was worth, and it felt like a overly pretentious and edgy take on the Sonic universe.

We have a reason to be jumping the gun here. Big name film studios have done this with other properties, like Yogi Bear, The Smurfs, and to an extent, Looney Tunes. They were widely thought to be fucking shit. 

We know better than to fall hook, line, and sinker for this to turn out good. We've seen the producer's track record, so it's kinda hard to place faith in a project like this.

Let's not kid ourselves. For a movie that's partly live action, we are highly likely to have a focus on human characters. We're watching a film about Sonic the fucking Hedgehog, tell me which characters we're meant to give a shit about again?

I want a good Sonic film. I take no joy in being such a negative Nancy. But with a premise like this, this movie isn't sounding like anything other than pretentious shit. 

Sega is not above criticism. This is not the first time they have screwed the pooch, nor will it clearly be the last in particular.

• Thumbs Up 7

I don't even know how to react to this. I'm afraid were headed back into the franchises dark age

Dang guys, did they even say there were going to be main character humans?

No. But when the live action/CGI blends come in, the humans tend to be the ones to get the focus. It happens all the time.

Why bother making it in Live Action then? I mean sure, there's always the fucked up insane possibility we would end up with something like

Realistic_3c356c_1268692.jpg

This... but if you're going to bother making a Sonic film live action rather than animated, it only makes sense to fill up the cast with some human characters. Not to mention since films revolving around anthro characters usually consist of live action humans, it honestly wouldn't be an unexpected move.

Mazda is doing the CGI animation? The same folks who made that utterly charming Night of the Werehog short?

AAI_Miles_Edgeworth_Thinking_1.gif

Hmm...

While it's true I absolutely adored Mazda's animation in that short, even with the knowledge that they are working on the CGI for this new work.... well, let's just say they're going to need a lot more than good animated aspects for this to be something I'll want to watch.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm actually a little excited. I have faith in Mazda, and I rather like the idea of a mix of CGI and live action. There are a lot of possibilities, a lot of ways to make it unique and enjoyable. Of course...there are bad ways as well. But I will keep some faith until we get some more info.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've wanted a proper Sonic movie for so long...but traditional animated or CGI. Live action was never on my list, even hybrid live action. It instantly screams failure. Sadly if a movie/concept/story sucks major ass yet it does well at the box office you will no doubt end up with more of it.

I'm kinda hoping its like CGI over love actors of they use them, like say Beowolf or Tintin, or only live action backdrops...as weird and jarring as that would be. But I doubt this is the case. But at least Penders has no part of this project right? That's a small plus.

Why would they make it live action otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1

You forgot to add;

- No dancing to crappy pop songs!

*shudder*

And, no grimdark bullshit. I'd be fine with a more serious storyline, but I still want to watch a freaking Sonic the Hedgehog movie.

Why don't they just CGI the whole thing instead of this dumb live-action garbage? I'd have much more faith if the whole thing was CG.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wait! What if Sonic and freinds come to the real world chasing eggman and when they get there, they gathers real world animals to help them fight eggman and Tails teaches them to talk and fight and they finally defeat Eggman and take him back to the Game World. Sounds like a good plot to me! (I'm not being sarcastic)

Sort of impressed that Sonic related things can somehow still leave me speechless.  

Ultimately it'll make money because kids movies are basically selling "Get your kid to shut up for a bit" tickets.  

Like with many movies that are "being made", there's a large chance it won't happen.  No director is listed, they have a tentative writer and a producer.  If you're used to video games, it's strange for something to be announced before it's made, but that's how movies go.  Really the video game industry is weird about their crippling fear of breaking secrecy when they placed the onus of confidentiality on themselves.  

Is this really what we've been reduced to?  Hoping nothing happens?  

• Thumbs Up 2

Wait! What if Sonic and freinds come to the real world chasing eggman and when they get there, they gathers real world animals to help them fight eggman and Tails teaches them to talk and fight and they finally defeat Eggman and take him back to the Game World. Sounds like a good plot to me! (I'm not being sarcastic)

At best that would probably be so bad it's good.

Wait! What if Sonic and freinds come to the real world chasing eggman and when he get's there, he gathers real world animals to help them fight eggman and Tails teaches them to talk and fight. Sounds like a good plot to me! (I'm not being sarcastic)

Plot aside, my issue is that I do not think the producers are capable of putting a tall animated blue hedgehog and his animal friends into scenes that also contain real human characters without it looking anything short of ridiculous and/or cringeworthy. See Garfield, Yogi Bear, Eddie Lebron's Sonic movie for examples of why this kind of thing does not work in the vast majority of media that have tried it.

Yay, the Sonic movie is real! Sonic really is coming back, with a promising sub-series and a partnership between Sony and Marza making a fil-

*sees live action part*

My reaction in a nutshell:

8125838034_89814a0223_o.gif

In all seriousness, okay, I'll give it a try. But WHY? Seriously, why? Eggman looks too cartoonish to portray with a real human. Stick to pure CGI like all the other Sony films. When in doubt, use mocap, but that's as close as they should get to live action.

I think they really dropped the ball on the live action part. Just stick to Marza and pure CGI, and I think it could be brilliant.

Mazda is doing the CGI animation? 

I have faith in Mazda

14792-MLM20089749231_052014-Y.jpg

Exactly what does a Japanese automaker do in the field of animation?

• Thumbs Up 3

14792-MLM20089749231_052014-Y.jpg

Exactly what does a Japanese automaker do in the field of animation?

Kids movies in Hollywood are a sort of black hole nowadays.  I suppose that once Hollywood got involved there really wasn't a way for it to turn out well.  

Man what a week...first Sonic Boom finally answers the age old question of what Sonic does with the rings..the fat bastard. And now this...I'm still trying to process.

Sooooo. Think they'll make like Sony with Ratchet and do something with Sonic 1 the year this comes out?

Screw this, I'm out.

You had me at Marza, and you screwed me over at live action. I WILL NOT BE FOOLED AGAIN.

• Thumbs Up 1

Screw this, I'm out.

You had me at Marza, and you screwed me over at live action. I WILL NOT BE FOOLED AGAIN.

That was more or less how I felt.

Like seriously... Why? Sonic doesn't work with live action. He'll either look cartoonish and out of place, or super realistic and just plain weird.

With this decision, I'm finding it hard to doubt they'll try a dark story, as was predicted.

When ever a kid has an idea, it's always bad.sad.png

Don't even pull this card. it'd be a bad idea by anybody.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hey guys, what's going on here? The Sonic movie has actually been confirmed? YESSHH! I so can't wait to see thi-

*Sees that it's also Live Action*

hades-angry-3-o.gif

Fuck it. I'm out.
  • Thumbs Up 1