Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I hear that the director only ever wants half of sonics face on the screen at a time since it would look weird seeing him head on. Is this true?

19 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Eh, I’m not exactly sympathetic towards those at Sega of Japan voicing their concerns about Sonic not fitting their artistic standards. You know, given how derivative and boring their own output has been for so long now. 

This rendition of Sonic is so incredibly bad that even Sonic Team has room to criticize, but not very much. 

Ignoring any of Sonic Team's output, I'm not very inclined to put stock in SoJ's feelings on the matter because this is the same fucking rope to hang themselves with they gave Archie pre-Penders and Big Red Button. The time to object to the portrayal of their licence that they let someone else handle was a long before principal photography has already wrapped and the film is in post. If they cared so little about looking in on and putting a stop to things even back in preproduction, which is when this design work would have been hashed out, that's their own damn fault.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

I hear that the director only ever wants half of sonics face on the screen at a time since it would look weird seeing him head on. Is this true?

I don't know. I'd figure that would be the case if they went with a more Generations-type model for Sonic since the goal is for his mouth never be in the middle... but, with this one, the mouth already is in the middle, presumably. 

2 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Ignoring any of Sonic Team's output, I'm not very inclined to put stock in SoJ's feelings on the matter because this is the same fucking leash to hang themselves with they gave Archie pre-Penders and Big Red Button. The time to object to the portrayal of their licence that they let someone else handle was a long before principal photography has already wrapped and the film is in post. If they cared so little about looking in on things even back in preproduction, which is when this design work would have been hashed out, that's their own damn fault.

You know, and to call me crazy if you want, but I truly think they had VERY little say in what goes on in this movie production. I don't know I just can't shake this feeling.

I mean, i’ll give this thing the benefit of the doubt as per because... well, one picture does not bereft the end product of what could actually end up being a very good film. 

But I’m not going to lie. As soon as I saw this thing... the left hemisphere of my brain went into overdrive and I was shouting “no, no, noooo, noooooooo!!!” at my phone screen 😂

I personally feel this redesign from what we can make out is... frankly, absolutely terrible. I was expecting a look as per usual but furrier like the werehog. What we have instead is sonic starring in TED 3. The arms, the teddy bear pupil eyes... the sneakers... with laces? I mean, What?!

But hey, apparently this works within their boundaries of bringing Sonic to live action. So if they reckon from testing that this is the best way forward - then sure, i’ll give it a chance until we get a trailer. Detective Pikachu bizarrely pleased me, so theres no reason this can’t also.

You can’t judge much from one character model (and mishandled ring sounds) after all.

But damn, my left and right side of my brain is really fighting it out on this 😂 

• Thumbs Up 3

23 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

You can’t judge much from one character model (and mishandled ring sounds) after all

Well we can safely assume the other animal characters will likely be similarly designed. So that already is a large concern. 

Idk for me I don’t feel I owe this film my optimism personally considering how the franchise is already being handled as well as the horrible trend of bad game movies, with very few decent in between. I don’t see any reason to think the Sonic film of all of them will be any exception 

3 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Everybody in here has suddenly become an expert on character design, acting like they know more than producers with 20+ years of experience in the industry.

Oh you mean kinda like you suddenly became an expert in marketing, brand strenghtening, mass audience appeal and all that stuff you've been lecturing people on here since yesterday?

Do you have 20+ years of experience on those matters by any chance, since by your own logic unless you do then you clearly don't know what you're talking about, so do you?

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Ignoring any of Sonic Team's output, I'm not very inclined to put stock in SoJ's feelings on the matter because this is the same fucking rope to hang themselves with they gave Archie pre-Penders and Big Red Button. The time to object to the portrayal of their licence that they let someone else handle was a long before principal photography has already wrapped and the film is in post. If they cared so little about looking in on and putting a stop to things even back in preproduction, which is when this design work would have been hashed out, that's their own damn fault.

This, this right here. They keep doing this. They don't see who they are getting in bed or just don't care to pay attention untill things are too late. If you want to curate their brand, curate that shit. You can't just let stuff occur and then over correct after the fact, at least this many times. And what's worse is that the over corrections to tend be limited in thier own way as well , so while I understand these over corrections, I can't really feel for them because they aren't great sometimes and the reason they are even doing this is their own fault

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if Sega actually has any control over the movie or if the licencing arangement limits them to a consulting role. I think the same happened to Marvel stuff licenced to Fox and Sony.

• Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Tornado said:

It’s like giving an obnoxious kid tubs of paint, tell them not to toss the stuff on the brand new clean white walls, and then leaving them alone for vacation for a week and then coming back and being surprised when they do the thing anyways.

Edit: Actually that’s not completely accurate, lemme change that. It’s like giving a kid carte Blanche to paint their own version of a classical painting, then leaving them unsupervised for the next few days and coming back to find a mess, then chastising them despite the fact that they weren’t told otherwise until AFTER the mess is done.

So I wonder if Shadow will be brought into the sequel or If they'll stick to the Genesis era. I know Tails, Knuckles and Amy will definitely be main characters in the sequel. Maybe Metal Sonic as the main villain.

Who could be the villain of Sonic 3 if it's based in the Genisis Era

Always keep the Yogi Bear movie in mind. Always remember. The Yogi Bear movie killed the franchise to such a degree that it has never made a comeback. Never even tried to.

• Thumbs Up 3

Now even the other gaming communities (Sly, Ratchet, Crash, Spyro etc.) are getting in on the trailer and fan recreations (or corrections).

You know there were a lot of people who didnt like the live action sonic fan movie however despite its design of sonic at least it was still sonic not some freakazoid in the shadows

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Always keep the Yogi Bear movie in mind. Always remember. The Yogi Bear movie killed the franchise to such a degree that it has never made a comeback. Never even tried to.

I only watched Yogi Bear once and remember very little of it. So why was it disliked?

9 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

I only watched Yogi Bear once and remember very little of it. So why was it disliked?

Well, I guess it being a cliched plot is a big reason people hate it, though I enjoyed it.

Imagine if they make a horrible game which uses the horrible new design based on this horrible movie.

You think Sonic cant get any lower, we've had 06, Boom, well here comes realistic the hedgehog crashing into the room!

• My Emmerdoods 4

Just now, Operationgamer17 said:

Well, I guess it being a cliched plot is a big reason people hate it, though I enjoyed it.

I thought I liked it, but wasn't sure because like I said I didn't remember it. But I do remember Yogi's model did look better than say Scooby-Doo's.

I nor has anyone I know seen the movie (Yogi Bear). I remember previews but I just particularly remember a feeling of disinterest. The bears didn't look  too bad as I recall. I think even at that time though, I was already fatigued with series-movie live action reboots (think Scooby Doo) . If only I knew that that trend wasn't going to be a fad. 😑

Edit: Smurfs and Chipmunks further shamed this sort of thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you've seen a kids film with goofy antics and savng the place where the characters live and/or spend most of their time from being bought and destroyed by an evil business person, you've seen Yogi Bear.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1