Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

This is all I can say...for the last like 5 minutes or so I said this....and said it exactly as depicted...for 5 minutes while contemplating.

Ewwww those blue, hairy human legs... DX dangit just show us the whole thing already! I am nervously anticipating his realistic (read: horrific) design!! Other than that it’s a...cool poster I guess? Showing off the speed and yeah..great.  

Are they actually going to release a licensed game with this movie? God that would be a sight to behold! We might be looking at the Sonic 06 of the PS4/Xbone era! 

It’s amazing to see how the reaction to this has been overwhelmingly negative compared to Detective Pikachu. And I don’t think it’s just because they instantly revealed Pikachu and other Pokemon designs instead of constantly teasing it...

Edit: Just noticed the “Sonic wuz here” text lol wtf is dis movie even~ 

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, insert name said:

DuE0vtsWwAEYnPK.jpg

Hey guys, I've been seeing a lot of posts like this, and I think it needs to stop.

Like I'm not gonna stop you guys from posting memes and shit entirely, but we're a discussion board first and foremost. Discuss. Contribute something of substance while you're at it. Don't just post an image macro and nothing else.

• Thumbs Up 3

The controversy is only going to help this movie. The whole thing has spread to EW and other major news outlets. In the studio's eyes, any publicity is good publicity. This thing has blown so much. Much like the Bayturtles, people are now making memes 

38 minutes ago, Johnny Boy said:

Oh my god, it just continues to get worse. Why is it that nobody in charge of this franchise can make a halfway intelligent decision?

Nope, Sonic the hedgheog: the series of fuckups :D

I just thought of something, but I'm not sure on it.  Could it be possible that the 1st poster could've been concept art? Does that happen a lot with films? Because I'm unsure.

Anyways I thought you guys might like this funny picture I made for the Sonic Movie. Not because I don't like it, because the teaser will determine that.

On another note someone pointed this out on Twitter from Sonic Boom.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, do a barrel roll said:

Dear God, why is it so hard for SEGA to get their sh*t together? Why is it so hard for them to see problems that fans can see clear as day (here's a small example: they keep using Denuvo for their games on Steam, which is a problem because it can potentially harm PCs. Solution? Simply stop wasting money to implement pointless and ineffective DRM to your games on Steam)?  Why can't they just get more competent people who had previous and better experience with the Sonic franchise like Tetsu Katano, Hiroshi Miyamoto, Akinori Nishiyama and/or even Christian Whitehead to replace people like Morio Kishimoto, Shun Nakamura, and Takashi Iizuka? Why can't they just stop trying to please every single fan and instead just focus on quality?

Similar to what you said, @Dr. Detective Mike, I'll always love Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic will always be my #1 favorite. but I f**king loathe how SEGA and Sonic Team is mismanaging the franchise and mistreating the fans by destroying the franchise. The only competent people at SEGA/Sonic Team I can think of is Aaron Webber and the social media/PR team, the Sonic animation team (Jasmine, Marlene Sharp, etc.) Christian Whitehead and the team behind Mania, and the music composers (Tee Lopes, Tomoyta Ohanti, Jun Senoue/Crush 40, Hyper Potions, etc.).

I'm done. I'm not gonna let Sonic Team/SEGA treat me like this anymore. I'm boycotting them. Right now. I will not buy Team Sonic Racing. I will not buy any Sonic game made by Sonic Team/SEGA unless A. They actually re-evaulate their strategies and bring more competent people who've had better experience with Sonic such as the people I've listed above whom I think should take over Sonic Team or B. They get lucky and they make a game that actually pretty good like Colors/Generations but even then it'll probably have some stupid gimmick that brings down the quality of the game more than it needs to. For example, Sonic Mania, as great as that game is, the majority of the stages was just returning stages. It was more of a celebration of Sonic's past and less of a celebration of Sonic's future. If they had an even mixture of old and original stages or at the VERY LEAST sacrificed 1 remixed old stage in favor of an original stage, then this criticism would've evaporated. But of course, Iizuka was supervising the project and he told the Mania team to add more old levels because god forbid the Sonic series to be original right? (Disclaimer: I have nothing against Takashi Iizuka, the current head of Sonic Team. He's a really nice guy with a postive mindset, and I would like to say that he's still passionate about the franchise. However, he's made a lot of poor decisions and I think he needs to step down to a lower position, but not leave Sonic Team entirely.). Also, while Colors and Generations are decent/good in my opinion, they could've been so much better if they didn't overdo it with the stupid freaking 2D sections. This became a massively bigger problem in Forces, to the point where basically 75% of the game was 2D (that's barely an exaggeration), and there was literally only 1 level in Sonic Forces (not including Episode Shadow levels or Boss levels) that was fully 3D.

And I will absolutely NOT watch the Sonic movie, not even ironically (even though like I said I love Sonic the Hedgehog dearly) because I don't want to give Paramount/SEGA any kind of support for this (I know SEGA is against the design but I'm sure they had some kind of control over it, at the very least to where they should be able to decide whether or not the design should be changed and whether or not they should green light the movie, so I'm partially blaming them for this. Please correct me if I'm wrong to blame SEGA at all for this though.). I don't want this movie to be a success because it'll probably show the people in charge of this monstrosity that this is an okay thing to do (newsflash: no the hell it's not) and they'll make even more abominations like this.

Sadly, i’ve seen one boycott too many become permanent, with said fan vanishing from the forums shortly after. 

6 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

This is very much a repeat of Bayturtles and that's only going to help the Studio in the long run at the box-office. 

Well yes because stupid people will go see it, not due to quality.

Now question is will I see it?

A big fat maybe, and yes i have wound up liking films other people hate.

Ghostbusters reboot? Yup

Bastman V Superman DOJ? Yup

The last Jedi? Yup

But my personal tastes aside I do know what a bad movie looks like.

The Room? Yup

Battlefield Earth? Oh yes!

Manos the Hands of fate? Yuparoony

And yes there is severe morbid curiosity here, probably the only reason why i will watch it.

I go to regal cinamas, Movies are only $7 on tuesdays.

You know what mystifies me in the wake of all of this?

Why didn't Sega/Sonic Team give them mandates? Like, seriously, they have them for comics, they did it for those Olympic Games, why didn't they apply any sort of design mandate for the movie? Surely they had to know this was a possible end result. This was the one thing that made me think "Hey, maybe he'll look okay because they'll set some rules on how Sonic should look, since they did that for the comics and they have to know where it could go." But... no. And now they hate it... but they didn't do anything to stop it in the first place.

That's just weird. It's almost as though they trusted them too much, expected that to go somewhere else and line their pockets.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

This is very much a repeat of Bayturtles and that's only going to help the Studio in the long run at the box-office. 

Yeah but who’s actually gonna watch this? These previews are universally detested.

Talk about terrible first impressions. Even the Super Mario Movie had an interesting trailer. The costume they wore in the poster I still think looks pretty cool. This is just horrifying. I have yet to find a single slightly positive comment on these posters. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Well yes because stupid people will go see it, not due to quality.

And you're exactly right. That's why Venom made so much despite having the entire MCU fanbase stacked against it and being a terrible movie. All people care about is being entertained. And everybody hating the design and creating controversy is beneficial to exposure. When I really think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if the Studio iS HAPPY about this.

5 minutes ago, Sapphirine Wind said:

You know what mystifies me in the wake of all of this?

Why didn't Sega/Sonic Team give them mandates? Like, seriously, they have them for comics, they did it for those Olympic Games, why didn't they apply any sort of design mandate for the movie? Surely they had to know this was a possible end result. This was the one thing that made me think "Hey, maybe he'll look okay because they'll set some rules on how Sonic should look, since they did that for the comics and they have to know where it could go." But... no. And now they hate it... but they didn't do anything to stop it in the first place.

That's just weird. It's almost as though they trusted them too much, expected that to go somewhere else and line their pockets.

This is the thing that does piss me off the most actually.

They bitched with Archie and nearly killed the freedom fighters over it (and did so again when they moved to IDW)

Not to mention the shit they pulled in the development of Sonic 06.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

A big fat maybe, and yes i have wound up liking films other people hate.

Same for me, as I liked Ratchet & Clank and the first new TMNT live action films. Yes, it was better than the originals, but I never seen the 2nd one mostly because I think the 1st one was all that was needed. But I did hear the animation was improved and they looked less creepy in the 2nd film.

1 minute ago, insert name said:

Yeah but who’s actually gonna watch this? These previews are universally detested.

Talk about terrible first impressions. Even the Super Mario Movie had an interesting trailer. The costume they wore in the poster I still think looks pretty cool. This is just horrifying. I have yet to find a single slightly positive comment on these posters. 

Who will see it? Nostalgic casuals who grew up playing the games in the 90s, teens and young adults who want to watch a dumb popcorn movie, kids who know Sonic. People in general who just want to have a good time. Look at the same demographic for Bayformers and Bayturtles. Not to mention the movie has very little competition as all of the tentpole franchise (Mulan, Frozen, Top Gun, Bond etc) have moved out of November leaving Sonic as the only major tentpole franchise in the month. So there's potential to make some good money there. 

I'm REALLY gonna have to wait for verification from someone actually involved with the movie when it comes to this new poster...

Even if it's real though, it's only made me more curious and makes me wanna see an actual trailer MORE. I've just gotta see what this is gonna look like for real.

• Thumbs Up 1

A movie making money is secondary to it not being shit. No sensible person wants something bad to succeed. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I am starting to wonder how much Sonic looks like a realistic Hollywood take of a Furry character now. 

I don't even care if this is bad now, this is interesting to watch now. 

Yup, it's real

Nobody wants to admit it, but there is a LOT of potential for this movie to clean up at the box office. And I want it to succeed no matter what

• Thumbs Up 1