Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

What is the use in steadfastly supporting something terrible, going so far as to push an anti-fact narrative and insulting those who don't like what you like, all in service of wanting something to succeed because of it's tangential relation to the thing you like, when in actuality it's basically not the thing you like at all, and the people who actually made the thing you like outright reject it? This mindset that completely leverages one's own standards of quality in service of brand loyalty, I'm never going to understand it.

• Thumbs Up 5

God, I really hope this movie bombs. Not because I want anyone out of a job or anything, I'm sure there are plenty of super nice and talented people trying to salvage what they can...

But this? This isn't a good mark on the franchise. Polkadi already mentioned it, but this is already irredemable, unless you plan on making a drinking game out of it.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wanted him to look like this 4n3tuqkdi1511.thumb.jpg.388a7cac05ea79eb5707322116cc0b2d.jpg

And what we have is not that far off. I just wish the arms weren't blue and he had something close to the classic shoes

Like this:

IMG_20181211_214403.jpg.5fcc148b452309f7b644fc1b070e3f9d.jpg

Could have totally gotten a Nike sponsorship

If what those fans in Brazil said is true, that he looks facially okay, and he's just got weird human-like arms and legs... I think I could work with that. It definitely wouldn't ruin the entire movie for me, depending on how well it looks in motion and with Sonic actually talking. I just don't know, I'm so confused right now... but not in a necessarily bad way.

7 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

Secondly, this isn't even the first time this has happened.

SonicBoom.jpg

This is a teaser we saw of Sonic Boom some time before we saw the official redesigns. Using many of the techniques we just discussed, people deduces that 1) Knux was getting a big rework for pretty much no reason at all, and 2) said rework would be used to rewrite him as a big meathead. Both of those things happened of course, but that didn't stop people from pulling this "yOu HaVeN't SeEn ThE fUlL dEsIgN yEt" crap. Somehow people haven't actually learnt a thing from this. What they're showing you is what they want to show you. There is no misdirection going on - they know full well what people are going to see in it.

Okay I was skeptical with Boom's redesigns at first. But I got used to them and liked them as much as Modern's. But Knuckles was the hardest and I instantly liked everyone elses. 

Anyways I overlooked that Boom's gloves and shoes were smaller and better fitting than Modern's. So maybe their going with a little bit of Boom inspiration mixed in the film design. But either way, Sonic still needs gloves.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

Okay so going back to that original poster, I do want to say this "ooooh it's just a silouhette shut up" talk actually legitimately pisses me off for a number of reasons.

First, and probably most importantly - any artist worth paying for will tell you that silouhettes are actually a really fucking important part of character design. The very shape of a character, even completely devoid of detail, still conveys a number of important traits about them. Posture. Build. Proportions. Line of Action. It's also a very important tool for designing characters that can be distinguished on a glance, even characters that outwardly appear to have similar traits.

image005.png

So when you see something like this:

DuDux6TX4AAqsF0.jpg:large

There's plenty you can derive from it that, contrary to some reasoning I've heard, isn't exactly hidden. You see a muscular, athletic build based on human models instead of bendy, noodle-y limbs shared by a bulk of the original characters of the series. You see generic-looking sneakers that are almost certainly only there because of a product placement deal. You see unshaven arms and a lack of gloves - not deal breakers on their own, but further testament to how little regard they show for Sonic's original design. Nearly every little thing you can defer from this teaser paints a picture of cynicism, of people tasked with representing one of gaming's biggest icons and deciding instead to design something that would be recognisable only in parody. You don't make a teaser like this to deceive people. These things aren't going to magically change the moment you get to see his face.

Secondly, this isn't even the first time this has happened.

SonicBoom.jpg

This is a teaser we saw of Sonic Boom some time before we saw the official redesigns. Using many of the techniques we just discussed, people deduces that 1) Knux was getting a big rework for pretty much no reason at all, and 2) said rework would be used to rewrite him as a big meathead. Both of those things happened of course, but that didn't stop people from pulling this "yOu HaVeN't SeEn ThE fUlL dEsIgN yEt" crap. Somehow people haven't actually learnt a thing from this. What they're showing you is what they want to show you. There is no misdirection going on - they know full well what people are going to see in it. Fuck's sake.

But there is a reason why people say "wait before you see the full thing" yeah, maybe we do know how Sonic's generally going to look. But until you can actually see any details of the actual design, you may not end up hating it. Sonic's face for example is probably NOT going to be a radical far cry from the games and he may still be wearing some form of gloves. Either that, or he has hairless hands. Maybe he's wearing fingerless gloves i.e:

61LlY6g41ZL._UX385_.jpg.5928226884d40bd4cafe358f808daf60.jpg

So using your Boom Knuckles example,  what the poster communicates to us is that Sonic is like a track runner, he's arrogant and rebellious. That's traditional Sonic so yeah. 

Also, the people at the Brazil event said his face was cartoony. I wonder if that will save this design for more people. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Like this:

These actually look pretty cool, I'm wondering why his shoes don't look that in the posters. The straps still serve a clearer purpose here for a realistic take on his shoes.

• Thumbs Up 4

Also can I just ask about this...

Is it just me... or is there something "really" off about the perspective of the bridge that Silent Green Hill Sonic is sat on.

Specifically, the Sonic Wuz Here text? I don't know what it is exactly but something about it makes it look like the beam is warped or twisting in order for that angle to make sense.

Does anyone else see It? Or at least look at it and think something is off about the perspective of the image?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Gabz Girl said:

Edit: Just noticed the “Sonic wuz here” text lol wtf is dis movie even~ 

Gotta bring back that 90's attitude.

8 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

But there is a reason why people say "wait before you see the full thing" yeah, maybe we do know how Sonic's generally going to look. But until you can actually see any details of the actual design, you may not end up hating it.

Yeah, no!  The franchise has long burned up any good will it can afford to make people "wait and see".  The "wait-and-see" card was on Sonic Forces, Sonic Boom (the entire sub-branch), Sonic Lost World, etc. etc. What exactly am I supposed to "wait-and-see"?  The franchise I've known and (partially) loved for 20+ years dig itself deeper into infamy and mediocrity?  No thank you!  I've learned to spot a Sonic turd miles away by now.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

8 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

So using your Boom Knuckles example,  what the poster communicates to us is that Sonic is like a track runner, he's arrogant and rebellious. That's traditional Sonic so yeah. 

I'm not sure what part of the picture is supposed to portray arrogance and rebellion, but for sake of argument I'll take your word for it.

It's still a needlessly roundabout method of showing it, and for that matter it doesn't even address my argument. He's crouched in a race starting position, his spines are streamlined and slicked back, so on and so forth - these aren't things you can't actually communicate with the original design. Hell, fans have already proven that you can, for that matter.

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Also, the people at the Brazil event said his face was cartoony. I wonder if that will save this design for more people. 

If anything that's even worse. I'd at least appreciate if a design was consistently awful realistic, even if I didn't entirely agree with it - but is anyone really expected to believe that a cartoony face on this man-child gremlin of a body somehow works? You're trying to mix the best of two extremes here but they aren't even remotely compatible. You might as well paste Sailor Moon's face onto Solid Snake's body for all the difference it makes.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

The text is a nice touch. Edgy Sonic is the best Sonic. I miss when he had attitude and sass. 

Despite the attitude...Sonic isn't exactly a rebellious character, the text fits the 90's thing totally, but it's not really Sonic's style.

• Thumbs Up 3

The second poster is much better than the first. The composition is much more appealing and you get a very authentic Sonic feel to what the character is doing - I could totally see Sonic racing around and then chilling on the top of the bridge for a sec, it's very true to his personality. I also still don't mind the shoes with the closer look at them. It's different from his normal shoes but not too different for me.

It's just a shame all of that is ruined by the human legs. Again, this one factor - the fact his design is atrocious -  is going to potentially kill a lot of good things the film might otherwise be doing. And that's a shame.

• Thumbs Up 2

51 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Like this:

27 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

These actually look pretty cool, I'm wondering why his shoes don't look that in the posters. The straps still serve a clearer purpose here for a realistic take on his shoes.

I agree, they should've went with these and painted them red. Then they'd be perfect. However there's probably no chances of a change mid-film though.

And I'll say this about the new, 2nd poster. Sonic's legs and shoes don't bug me as much as the 1st posters. Of course he still doesn't have socks, like the games do (Boom can't tell as much because of sports tape). The ring on the shoelace is a nice touch though.

Also my earlier post on this page about Boom Sonic inspiration, could be right. But I don't think their going to make him taller than Modern or Boom for that matter. So somewhere in the middle would work for his height.

33 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Gotta bring back that 90's attitude.

I'd say Pontaff did it better but history has shown I'm the only one who thinks that. 

My biggest problem with the design is the more muscular body.

As big of a change Knuckles' redesign was, it fit because he is about fighting and punching.

Sonic isn't the case, at least he wasn't until now.

Knuckles's bulk was still within reasonable confines of Sonic's artstyle -- it was just a big weird change that didn't really need to happen. The movie "Sonic" is bad for completely different reasons

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

It's real:

Yeah, his thighs looked more developed but they were still short and small. These ones do actually look like a regular dude painted blue. Maybe they just stretch his legs out to make the poster look better 

I think I just might vomit. How can they screw up THIS badly?

• Thumbs Up 2

The second poster looks like a flaming piece of crap. I think most the twitter reactions still show so many sonic fans united in that this is bad.