Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Sigh. I'm trying to focus on all the cool shit that was announced at E3, so I'm not going to even bother with the five stages of grief and just accept that this is a thing that is happening. I have absolutely no idea who these writers are or anything they've made, which is strangely more terrifying than knowing with absolute certainty that it's going to be made by a hack. But the choice for live action makes me worried that Sega is going to be relatively hands-off with this because it kind of goes against their recent attempts to give Sonic a concrete visual and aesthetic identity. I'm generally predisposed to avoid being cynical but Hollywood CGI movies don't give me a lot of hope these days. The only way I can see this working out is if they get Phil Lord and Chris Miller on board.

I'd be down for a live action start to the movie with a kid playing his Genesis/Mega Drive and his mum calling him to dinner or something and then it zooms into the TV and away goes the movie. Perhaps finishing with a similar thing, kid turning off the game when he goes to bed. Very 80's/90's sounding I know, and a bit like Lego Movie but that kinda live action I could handle if it doesn't interfere with the rest of the movie.

I really REALLY don't wanna see any humans in this thing. Humans and their baggage already defiled my Transformers movies, and Smurfs...and others I can't think of right now...so I don't want this to be ruined by some stupid idea to bring Sonic into the real world or base it around bloody Station Square etc from Adventure or the human places in Unleashed. If the movie is the first or only Sonic movie we end up getting (depending on ratings and box office cash I imagine) then for the love of all that is holy just make it about Sonic and pals vs Eggman. I don't want Sonic X the movie with Annoying the Human.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'd be down for a live action start to the movie with a kid playing his Genesis/Mega Drive and his mum calling him to dinner or something and then it zooms into the TV and away goes the movie. Perhaps finishing with a similar thing, kid turning off the game when he goes to bed. Very 80's/90's sounding I know, and a bit like Lego Movie but that kinda live action I could handle if it doesn't interfere with the rest of the movie.

Please don't make us relive the nightmare that is "Sonic Live!"

EDIT: As I'm thinking about it, I suppose you mean more of a "Wreck-it Ralph" sorta thing rather than Sonic "coming to life" or something of that nature, huh?

I dunno, I'm not with that kind of adaptation personally. It shouldn't be that hard to just make an epic adventure about Sonic and his friends (and dammit, I mean ALL his friends, damn the stigma) fighting the forces of evil... and Eggman that's fun and expands on his world without having to resort to the idea that the world isn't "real." I guess that just sucks some of the enjoyment out of it by taking it less seriously. Not that that approach can't be handled well or cleverly, I'd rather just not see what's likely Sonic's only chance to get on the big screen fall back on something like that.

Maybe I'm overly pessimistic about seeing Hollywood handle Sonic in an age when people love to sling mud at the franchise constantly. I genuinely want the movie to be good, I want people to see why we still love this franchise and its characters so. I'm just a little... cautious when I hear about this sort of thing.

Edited by Zaysho

Sonic_Live.jpg

Fuck it, since this thing is already a trainwreck that i'm gonna pirate why don't we just semi-adapt Sonic LIVE! and call it a day, because everybody loved Sonic LIVE!.

- NO ARCHIE/SATAM BULLSHIT THANK YOU VERY MUCH

What the hell verte? didn't you just say you were interested in the comics? whats with the sudden turn?!

Please don't make us relive the nightmare that is "Sonic Live!"

Haha sorry man! But yeah no way on that one. Was just meaning as an intro get the live action out of the way. Not have the kid in the thing, ugh no,

Haha sorry man! But yeah no way on that one. Was just meaning as an intro get the live action out of the way. Not have the kid in the thing, ugh no,

Yeah, I realized that after I posted, my bad! Edited my post to reflect what you actually meant.

But yeah, I'm still shaking under my blanket at the thought of... that.

Checking the Retro topic, Machenstein has a point:

We seem to enter a dark age during the middle part of every decade. The the mid 90's gave us 3D Blast and X-Treme's cancellation, the mid 2000's gave us Shadow and Sonic 06, now we're in the mid 2010's and look at what's happening. It's like Sega has a lobotomy when the number 4 appends itself at the end of a year.

I'd be okay with this. So long as we don't have CGI right next to real humans I'm happy. The record is pretty clear on live action adaptions of games.

Uh..wha-?

I'm sorry, but what?!

I actually like having humans around in the series, but not live action ones next to the cartoony characters. They couldn't have done what Ratchet and Clank or Sly Cooper were doing when it comes to the movies? Really?

• Thumbs Up 2

Uh..wha-?

I'm sorry, but what?!

I actually like having humans around in the series, but not live action ones next to the cartoony characters. They couldn't have done what Ratchet and Clank or Sly Cooper were doing when it comes to the movies? Really?

Considering Marza's involved, I'm surprised they don't just take it back to the Unleashed world and use that type of aesthetic for the whole thing. It looking like something out of a Pixar film would actually sound like a "win" in my book.

EDIT: As I'm thinking about it, the whole idea of putting cartoony characters in a realistic setting...? I like to think it could be competently done... but I don't see that happening with Sonic. I'm surprised they aren't going the full CGI route when Sonic is perfect for it and other gaming properties like Sly Cooper are already doing it.

Edited by Zaysho

The part about being live-action doesn't sound good, but I'm willing to give this a chance...

One of the only ways this could work is like how they did it with Who Framed Roger Rabbit...

... but I'm not expecting that kind of creativity here. If this turns out terrible, at least I could just pretend it doesn't exist like Sonic Live...

... wait what's sonic live?

I'm hoping this whole live action thing will be more in the vein of the Lego Movie's take on that idea.  Not something like say... the Ninja Turtles for example.  However I am interest in this, but please, PLEASE don't make it like that live action fan movie from a while back...

Why did they let live-action happen.  They should have known how people would react.  Maybe they just don't care?  Unless it really is just a very brief live-action segment rather than real humans being all over the movie.  I could live with that, but nobody wants this to be a live-action crossover movie.  The mould has already been set, and it is a horribly flawed one.

You see, the thing is, Sonic has already in effect had a live-action movie featuring Sonic characters next to photorealistic humans.  You know what it's called?  Sonic '06.  I'm quite serious, it pushes all the blockbuster buttons.  Live-action human love interest who Sonic has to spend all his time saving.  Nonsensical fantasy plot that has nothing to do with the rest of the series.  A terrible attempt to reconcile the design of existing human characters with photorealism.  If you put all the '06 cutscenes together and imagined that the humans were live-action rather than CG, you would have the very model of a live-action Sonic movie.  And it destroyed the series.

We can only cross our fingers and hope that it's secretly a primarily CG movie by Marza, who we know can bring the goods, and not really a live-action movie at all save for a very few minutes.

I am praying it'll be some nostalgia scene with some kid playing a Sonic game and some transition is made for going inside the game or something.  As long as it's like that then this will be a movie I can feel happy to wait for.

According to Digital Spy (posted by Patticus in the statuses), Neal H. Moritz will be producing the film for Sony Pictures Animation. For those keeping the score back home, the original Hollywood Reporter source similarly (though indirectly) referenced Sony's animation division when talking about the film: "Sony Pictures has had great success with hybrid animated and live-action features"

It's highly unlikely Sony Pictures Animation wouldn't have some sort of involvement with this film.

*sigh*

I never asked for this.

This is going to be Sonic's Super Mario Bros. movie moment, isn't it? Boy howdy the fallout is going to be spectacular...

More than anything else, I don't get the live action decision because it felt they were trying to move away from Sonic being set on Earth-as-we-know-it-esque settings lately.  God they really want this series to just have the biggest clusterfuck of identities and aesthetics known to man don't they?

• Thumbs Up 2

This is going to be Sonic's Super Mario Bros. movie moment, isn't it? Boy howdy the fallout is going to be spectacular...

It's going to be worse, because we've now long since established how bad live-action adaptations are, and there's absolutely no chance of this getting swept under the carpet what with it being a yearly thing and all.

More than anything else, I don't get the live action decision because it felt they were trying to move away from Sonic being set on Earth-as-we-know-it-esque settings lately.  God they really want this series to just have the biggest clusterfuck of identities and aesthetics known to man don't they?

This is either going to be...

1. A whole new, third branch (or fourth if you count Archie) to the existing series, which is bad cause holy crap SEGA how many Sonics do you need?

2. Closely related to the future of SEGA Sonic while Boom continues to do it's own thing, which is bad cause fuck no.

3. A 80s/90s esque videogames come to life kind of thing, which is bad because it's a terrible concept that was overdone years ago and dumps over the existing series.

One way or another, this is going to be a disaster. I want to know how on Earth anyone decided that a live-action Sonic film was a good idea.

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually, I like the "Sonic on Earth" or "Sonic plus Humans (in the real world)"-theme in general, but I like it the way it was done during the times of Sonic Adventure, where the designs of both parties didn't clash, and where everything was whimsically anime-serious.

A movie like this might work, if it doesn't try to make Sonic (look) realistic. Something akin to Roger Rabbit, with the characters coming out of some kind of Wreck-It Ralph universe, could be a bearable excuse to have them look like they should. But anything else is better done in full-CG.

(Other than that, I'd rather not have a movie at all. This is gonna be a mess...)

• Thumbs Up 1

I predict the plot of this film will be one of three things:

1) Sonic and friends are transported to Earth due to some kind of plot convenience like Eggman's malfunctioning machine in Sonic X, ultimately playing out like The Smurfs did (i.e. having bugger all to do with the main characters' world at all)

2) Sonic is a pre-established videogame character and is somehow brought to life by... something!

3) Sonic just exists on Earth anyway and the whole world is a clusterfuck of anthropomorphic animals and humans

Whichever you choose, they're all stupid. I don't want this to be Sonic X: The Movie, and I don't want the whole thing to be self aware that Sonic is a gaming character, because that ruins the whole suspension of disbelief (it managed to work in Wreck-It Ralph because they were still in the game world).

Gaaaah I just have zero interest in this film, yet I know I'll still go to see it, just to find out for myself how truly terrible it turns out to be.

• Thumbs Up 4

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

I am prepared for a most glorious train wreck.  Right next to the Power Rangers Movie!

Actually we've just about hit all my current fave franchises too. TF4 this year, Sonic and PR next year.  Now all we need is MLP and Pokemon and the gang's all here!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I don't have any hope for this. In fact, I think me dismissing it might be the best idea for the time being. My plate is still full with Boom anyway.

A Sonic movie? And it's live action plus CGI?

This is going to be terrible and I am going to love it.

• Thumbs Up 1