Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

So SEGA's mandates are well-known in the comics.

Here's my question: where the fuck were they during the process of the film!? If SEGA went up and said no to that hideous design instead of focusing all those rules into a niche comic, we wouldn't be sitting here complaining. The ONLY positive I have is that this is bringing Sonic and Non-Sonic fans alike together. It's a special feeling.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

That's not how eyes work...

Pupils don't stick out and they're definitely not going to so much detail as to make his eyes bulge a little...that's not even accurate to real life. You wouldn't actually be able to see it.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

has izuka said anything on this?

He freaks out over the idea of Sonic wearing pants, he's probably in shock

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

He's creative supervisor over the movie so he's probably saw the design months ago and contributed to it 

So much for "keeping the brand design" huh, Iizuka? You made a convoluted two-worlds system, made it so that only male hedgehogs can turn super, and all those other mandates, but apparently this is completely fine to you? Where the hell is your line to draw?

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

They should just use game sonic 100% and lose this realistic or butt ass ugly design. Why must producers be so fucking stupid. Leave the design alone. Good God I hate Hollywood. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I wonder if the design changes is because Sega assumed/were tricked convinced by the production that it would appeal to a broader audience: "Do you think THAT would fit in live-action?? It's going to clash so badly! Do you know what's better? It should be more 'realistic'! It's the trend right now! Many people unfamiliar with these type of games are put off by the cartoony designs! People would love THIS!!  Besides...the more it looks different, the more attention it gets!"

If it's the game and anything related to the game Sega of Japan would be strict, but since this is more of a spin-off (and a live-action movie, which I'm sure Sega is not so familiar with) perhaps Sega is more flexible and gullible open to ideas. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Between this and Detective Pikachu, I've just been replaying this scene from Live Forever As You Are Now in my mind on loop:

"Your Sonic fell down into the Uncanny Valley. He's down here with moving corpses. This is where Mr.Mime lives."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

45 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

I wonder if the design changes is because Sega assumed/were tricked convinced by the production that it would appeal to a broader audience: "Do you think THAT would fit in live-action?? It's going to clash so badly! Do you know what's better? It should be more 'realistic'! It's the trend right now! Many people unfamiliar with these type of games are put off by the cartoony designs! People would love THIS!!  Besides...the more it looks different, the more attention it gets!"

If it's the game and anything related to the game Sega of Japan would be strict, but since this is more of a spin-off (and a live-action movie, which I'm sure Sega is not so familiar with) perhaps Sega is more flexible and gullible open to ideas. 

If that was their reasoning against using a cartoon in live action, they were right. And Sega knew it. Hence why they ALLOWED this design to be realized. Miller said they worked lock-step in unison with Sega when they designed Sonic, so I wish people would stop pretending that Sega was forced to accept this Design. They have veto power, people. Iizuka was the supervisor going over all of the things in this movie to make sure they were right. 

Everybody there in studio, including Iizuka, knew the game design in a blockbuster action movie would look ridiculous. This does not look good

maxresdefault-2.thumb.jpg.d5bdfc9afad27fac2896b16b65404325.jpg

Who would take that seriously outside of the fandom? Unless they embrace the Roger Rabbit aspect like that movie did and make a meta parody of Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Everybody there knew the game design in a blockbuster action movie would look ridiculous 

Why did they even bother?

Standards don't allow people to accept this, the idea itself is no different from any other thing.

People should change their mentality more than stuff like Sonic's design should.

And maybe stop bringing cartoon characters to the real world if it's so hard to do.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, PeterPancake said:

If that was their reasoning against using a cartoon in live action, they were right. And Sega knew it. Hence why they ALLOWED this design to be realized. Miller said they worked lock-step in unison with Sega when they designed Sonic, so I wish people would stop pretending that Sega was forced to accept this Design. They have veto power, people. Iizuka was the supervisor going over all of the things in this movie to make sure they were right.

It's weird to me that people would doubt SEGA's involvement considering it would also be extremely like them to fundamentally misunderstand core elements of Sonic's design. I'm surprised they even pushed back on the eyes of all things, frankly.

Also I disagree with the idea that Sonic's normal design couldn't work in a movie. Who Framed Roger Rabbit has a very stark juxtaposition between its live and animated actors, and that movie holds up. It has a look, and a damn good one. Granted having the animated actors be traditionally animated cartoons was also the whole point, but when you delve into the uncanny valley, you're taking a much larger risk of pulling your audience out of the picture than you would if you went for something more stylistic. Having Sonic-ass Sonic would probably be fine because the very idea of a live action Sonic is just so dumb there's no reason not to lean into the cartoony element of it.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Why did they even bother?

Standards don't allow people to accept this, the idea itself is no different from any other thing film typically does.

People should change their mentality more than stuff like Sonic's design should and maybe stop bringing cartoon characters to the real world.

Because they wanted to grow their brand beyond the games and get in on all of the franchise craze that's taking Hollywood by storm. It's not hard at all to see WHY they went this route let alone why Sega wanted Sonic to be bigger than just an animated movie for 7-8 year old kids. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Sure it could be an animated movie for the whole family...EVERYONE WINS.

Or something.

maxresdefault-2.thumb.jpg.d5bdfc9afad27fac2896b16b65404325.jpg

Who would take that seriously outside of the fandom? Unless they embrace the Roger Rabbit aspect like that movie did and make a meta parody of Sonic.

Nobody would take this seriously, not even fans...but the thing is, if they're going this route in the 1st place, being took seriously isn't what they're going for. But generally speaking, people would rather have this than yet another grossly off-putting CGI character.

2 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

It's weird to me that people would doubt SEGA's involvement considering it would also be extremely like them to fundamentally misunderstand core elements of Sonic's design. I'm surprised they even pushed back on the eyes of all things, frankly.

Also I disagree with the idea that Sonic's normal design couldn't work in a movie. Who Framed Roger Rabbit has a very stark juxtaposition between its live and animated actors, and that movie holds up. It has a look, and a damn good one. Granted having the animated actors be traditionally animated cartoons was also the whole point, but when you delve into the uncanny valley, you're taking a much larger risk of pulling your audience out of the picture than you would if you went for something more stylistic. Having Sonic-ass Sonic would probably be fine because the very idea of a live action Sonic is just so dumb there's no reason not to lean into the cartoony element of it.

Just because the CONCEPT of Sonic is ridiculous does not mean the writers have to treat it as such. Sonic isn't anymore ridiculous than 4 Anthropomorphic teenage Turtles learning jujitsu and living under the sewers of Manhattan. But of these concepts are ridiculous but the idea doesn't not have to be realized in such a manner.

Roger Rabbit being a cartoon in the real world is kinda the justapoxtion of the entire movie. Rabbit himself is a parody of Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny. The movie KNOWS the concept of the movie is inherently ridiculous. Yes, it's murder mystery but the movie is not self-serious or asking the audience to take the movie seriously. So unless you are going tell a story about cartoons existing in the real world and make fun of it, you can not have a story about an alien being chased by the Government in high-speed action scenes, with the secretary of defense with a Mickey Mouse-lit character. And the movie going after the PG-13 nostalgic crowd like Bayturtles would make it an even harder sell. The character has to change. 

13 minutes ago, Celestia said:

He's going to be a cartoon anyway, just one that's not great to look at.

He'll be a real creature. As Tim said. Sonic is not a cartoon in the movie itself

18 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Sure it could be an animated movie for the whole family...EVERYONE WINS.

Or something.

Nobody would take this seriously, not even fans...but the thing is, if they're going this route in the 1st place, being took seriously isn't what they're going for. But generally speaking, people would rather have this than yet another grossly off-putting CGI character.

Box-office says differently. If that were true, all of the CG/live action hybrids would have had cartoons instead of realistic designs that blend into the real world. The thing is, suspension of disbelief can only go so far. It is the job of the filmmaker to sell the audience on the movie. How would anybody be sold on a Blockbuster if the movie looked like this?

Even this commercial makes fun of the fact that Sonic is a cartoon in the real world. 

Once you see the trailers for this movie and realize the type of film Sega/Paramount want to make, you will see why the game design would never work. 

Okay I've seen multiple times that nobody would take an animated Sonic Movie seriously, when animated films are meant for a certain age range. Okay first off animated films have audiences depending on what it is. If it's based on a book, game, TV show, etc. When going by that, you have different audiences. Some older, some younger. Some new to a franchise, some who have stuck around since the beginning.

And Secondly a Sonic Animated film's tone could be like this trailers tone for How To Train Your Dragon (3) The Hidden World.

A Sonic Movie like that could've easily been pulled off, just for Marza and Blur Studios CG Animation alone. Combine that with the films story and there we go. So whether it's live-action/ CGI hybrid or full CGI a Sonic film would be able rival the biggest competition. Well that'd depend on design for the CG/Live-action approach.

Now back onto the current film's topic. This was posted to Twitter and this user thinks what they did with the Sonic Movie motion poster could've been to gain attention.

But I don't think that's the case though.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

But I don't think that's the case though.

This is why it's not.

Or if it is... bloody hellfire it's utterly stupid to do so.