Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, Dejimon11 said:

So um Idk what to believe at this point 

Seeing Sonic as a hedgehog with his cartoony design was hard enough already as it was, but this honestly looks a lot more like some Teddy bear/real bear with long hair than a hedgehog..

• Thumbs Up 1

The allegedly early poster above looks a lot like concept art, the sort of thing they'd have whipped up to demonstrate to partners, investors and the like what sort of direction they planned to go with the project.  Chris Pratt was probably used not because they necessarily thought he was a lock but because his appearance conveyed the type of character they wanted for Tom; similarly, all they had to do for Sonic was put down one of their earlier "realistic" designs.  We know it's not the design they stuck with as Sonic's limbs in the old poster are shorter and thicker; a lot closer to his actual design, or even his Classic design, along with the general cuteness of it.

But pretty much all of the fan concept designs are going to be cuter, because cartoons are, by and large, inherently cuter than real life.  Cuteness is heavily associated with simplicity and lack of detail; a fully-rendered version of any of these 2D cartoon concepts is never going to be as cute - though the final design doesn't do itself any favours, with the mismatched proportions and uncanny valley musculature.  For all that this thread gets criticised as an "echo chamber" of undue negativity, it takes an echo chamber of undue positivity - a collection of yes-men, in other words - to produce a design like the one we're ending up with, blind to the flaws that anyone with even a passing understanding of design appeal can notice.  Making the design more "realistic" is a fool's errand; because it is still wildly unrealistic; it just looks ugly to boot, which appears to be exactly what all these generic live-action designs are going for.  It's not a very flattering vision of "realism"; really it's just a retread of the grungy 90s, where cartoons and comics seemed to be competing to produce the ugliest designs possible.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Also, I found this list, interesting that Paul Rudd was also considered for the role of Sonic.:

4F2ADEC7-E61A-4AF3-BD65-A1B1394A0046.thumb.jpeg.f6c0f2ff875be2303d16fb61599fda5e.jpeg

Chris Pratt... What an odd consideration lol

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Going by what the actual poster said, this looks like an early version.

It looks a little okay. I still wish he wasn't too hairy tho.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kinda looks like they were making a Crash Bandicoot flick at first but it fell through so they slapped a Sonic head on the model instead.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

I have a feeling that picture is fake but god I would love Bill Hader trying to act next to a CG Sonic the Hedgehog, trying very hard not to show his absolute misery. Also if in this fantasy scenario Sonic is voiced by Charlie Day.

Also hey, if the design looks like the one above then... great? I think that still looks like shit but it at least wouldn't be a living nightmare. It would also beg the question why the marketing team thought those posters would have worked to sell people on this revamped design.

edit: That last bit was a little rhetorical, since modern poster design is kind of a shitshow in general. It's totally possible they made a couple of bad teasers that are blowing up on them in a way the final design might not necessarily deserve.

I see no human legs. His shoes are different. Sonic in that leaked (concept) poster is obviously different to the one that we are seeing in the new posters now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems like an early concept art poster since Sonic looks shorter and he doesn’t have weird hairy human legs. He looks pretty cute though, adorable little face...probably won’t look like that in the actual movie though. >>

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

Seems like an early concept art poster since Sonic looks shorter and he doesn’t have weird hairy human legs. He looks pretty cute though, adorable little face...probably won’t look like that in the actual movie though. >>

Let's hope he does. I actually don't mind this design too much.

• Thumbs Up 2

It is a shame that poster is probably just a early concept. I think I could had lived with that design honestly. What we are now seemingly getting is worse so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually think the final design will end up being very similar to that. Those legs are pretty thin and could match what is seen on the bridge poster.

• Thumbs Up 2

No matter what, as long as the final design doesn't have actual Hedgehog-esque eyes, it's better than what I'm expecting, lol

Still though, that's definitely no where near what the final design looks like. His face and eyes match Sonic's typical round design, rather than the concave Hedgehog-esque fur pattern going on in the final version, the head is waaaay smaller than the final version, (and better for it tbh) there are four spikes along the side instead of three, the nose isn't as pointy as it should be, and the fur pattern, from what we can tell of it, doesn't match up, either.

Either way I keep looking back at the original poster and my eyes keep straying back to the gumball eyes and mouth areas, and I really can't see it ending up any differently than what I see in my head, so I definitely am not convinced it'll be anything less of a disaster yet. This mock up was before the new writers took over, as well; who knows what kind of an effect that had on the direction at the end of the day...

• Thumbs Up 6

5 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Once you see the trailers for this movie and realize the type of film Sega/Paramount want to make, you will see why the game design would never work. 

Ok, where's the paycheck? Because by the way you speak about this movie you either getting paid by Paramount or somehow involved in the production. What do you know beyond anyone else here that makes you so sure and confident about this movie? Because it's getting old. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1

Lol if he likes it, it must mean he's paid by Paramount, obviously. I don't wanna defend him though, I think furry modern could have worked on the movie just fine.

I still don't like the concept. Although Milo Ventimiglia as a cop is something I didn't know I wanted, but I'm perfect with the cast we got, it's the best part of the movie for me.

It's so ridiculous to keep saying a realistic design has to be used to work, when the best case scenario - that early concept poster design - is still unbelievably cartoony to the same extent of the game design, from the sheer nature of Sonic's core anatomy.

You can't make Sonic believable. Only supplant detail onto him and try to convince yourself it's more realistic than the alternative. Sonic, as an anthropomorphic "hedgehog", just isn't anywhere close to something you can look at and say, "... Yeah, that looks believable..." It's still a bugs bunny type of character running around in the real world as if it's people.

It's even worse when you realize film as an industry has always been heavily into altering reality itself to fit in with their own aesthetics and visions of their own reality. Gritty movies get darkened lenses and film run down alleyways to increase the hard boiled edge, saccharine movies use brightening techniques and warm locals, and sci-fi uses lens flares left and right and otherworldly landscapes to emphasize the sci-fi-ness of it all. Live action movies aren't necissarily beholden to what is realistic and what is reality; they have the power to mold it, and they do.

So you'd think... A movie with a completely unbelievable cartoon protagonist, would mold reality around the unbelievable character, who's features thrive on a lack of detail and logic, and not the other way around. Rather than using a softening effect or picking and choosing which props, locals, and sets to use to blend the two together a tad better, they double down hard on the realism to the point where every spine has to be individual, every appendage has to have muscle mass, and the body has to be in line with how an actual human body is shaped and works. Because that works better, for some reason...

• Thumbs Up 9

On 12/12/2018 at 12:27 AM, Gabriel said:

You know, this whole "stop overreacting, Sonic can survive anything" mindset only works in the parallel universe where every new Sonic project has standards and expectations reset to zero and past fiascos automagically no longer exist.

Can you name the last time a Sonic game sold more than one million copies worldwide? How about two million copies worldwide? What about three million?

Sonic Boom, launched in late 2014, was supposed to be a reinvention of the Sonic brand for new audiences. We're at the end of 2018, where has that venture gone now?

If the Sonic series proceeded to put out at least one monumental disaster every year for the next five years, back to back, do you really think that the franchise would still be getting any new games? Or any new projects at all?

The reality we live in has a fascinating concept of having people gradually stop supporting products they don't think is worth their time and money--from the critics that review them, to the consumers that pay for them, to even the producers that fund them. Even juggernaut franchises that are "too big to fail" eventually get caught up in some sort of backlash and start feeling the effects.

You know would what would be better than being able to survive putting out trash? Not needing to survive the results of putting out trash in the first place. And you can easily accomplish that by not putting out trash.

Stop framing the series' inability to ingloriously implode after constantly churning out terrible projects as something we should be grateful for. Hundreds of other series have managed that just fine without continuing to make mistakes, let alone making an outright bad product in the first place.

giphy.gif

I love how much you took whatever I said off context.

When did I even mention you guys should do this or that ? I just talked about myself, why do you feel attacked, there, sugah ? Stop putting words in my mouth, thank you

Yes, it's sad they're making a (possible) trash movie. But for all we know, it might be better than we thought. Or worse. For now, neither you nor I know and it'll stay like that for a while.

But I don't appreciate having someone I don't even know lecturing me on how I should do this or shouldn't do that, especially when you've been unable to read my post and understand that I wasn't talking about you.

Because, excuse me, but you (general "you"), the Sonic fans, are still buying their trash, right ? Forces, Lost World, Sonic Boom. (I bought the latter two second hand because I didn't want to give Sega my money for these bad games)Sure, we've been lucky to have a gem with Sonic Mania, But in recent years, what did we get ? What can we consider a good SONIC game since Generation ? And you know that Sega, as a business, sees with money. The game sells ? Good enough, they're happy and hop on the next project. And sometimes they listen to the fans, when we're lucky.

So maybe instead of being an annoyance on some forums, you could... I don't know, make your voice heard directly ? Don't pay for their "trash" products ? Don't support those ? Write them some letters ? Do something !

Also, Dragon Ball Evolution didn't ruin Dragon Ball (it even led to two new movies then Dragon Ball Super) ; The last airbender didn't ruin the Avatar franchise, etc etc.

• Fist Bump 1

Meh, if multiple people who saw it are really reassuring us, I'm willing to give it a chance.

So, can we hold judgement after we've seen the design? A little longer, I just want to be sure it sucks or not, but yeah, we can only judge what we've seen at this point, that's true as well.

7 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

If that was their reasoning against using a cartoon in live action, they were right. And Sega knew it. Hence why they ALLOWED this design to be realized. Miller said they worked lock-step in unison with Sega when they designed Sonic, so I wish people would stop pretending that Sega was forced to accept this Design. They have veto power, people. Iizuka was the supervisor going over all of the things in this movie to make sure they were right. 

Everybody there in studio, including Iizuka, knew the game design in a blockbuster action movie would look ridiculous. This does not look good

maxresdefault-2.thumb.jpg.d5bdfc9afad27fac2896b16b65404325.jpg

Who would take that seriously outside of the fandom? Unless they embrace the Roger Rabbit aspect like that movie did and make a meta parody of Sonic.

Still looks MILES better than that insult of a design. Sorry you're not winning us over here. Detective Pikachu proves you wrong anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Reminder that The Smurfs made its money back, God is dead, and the Sonic movie might actually turn a profit since it's more marketable to kids as a brand.

This isn't really designed for fans, that's pretty clear by them totally missing the mark on any one quality that resonates with them. It also doesn't seem to be intended for anyone else since it's thoroughly repulsed people outside of the fandom (who may or may not think Sonic is inherently shit anyway.) But there's kids, and kids know Sonic, and kids are going to drag their parents to go see this thing.

Best case scenario is this turns out to be another Mario Movie thing where it's actually secretly good despite itself.

5 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

If indeed this was an early version of the final design I’ve got to say it doesn’t look that bad. The eyes are a bit weird but apart from that I’m OK with this.

Hopefully the final design is as close to this as possible.

• Thumbs Up 4