Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

17 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Close enough, but still doesn't really match with the regular art style.

I wonder if we should also count this Sonic 1 early concept art as another example for what humans should look like in Sonic?

A2tJeVP.jpg

14 minutes ago, Scar said:

Even with this new Poster leak or whatever, Sonic looks wrong. It just looks wrong.

I don't get why making the movie animated/stylised automatically pigeonholes it as a film for 7-8 year olds.

I mean who the fuck is going to look at that poster and thing "yes, this is perfect to take my 16 year old child to go see". This is the exact type of movie which will be watched primarily by parents and their young children, die-hard Sonic fans, or people in their mid-late 20s who are in it for a laugh. This is Smurfs, except we got Sonic now. And to make it worse, the edgier the story tries to be, the more ridiculous and meme-y the film will become. 

In trying to be taken seriously, this film will almost certainly be not taken seriously.

This isn't targeted towards kids. If anything kids went nuts seeing Sonic in Wreck It Ralph and hell even seeing him in Smash Bros. If anything this is meant to appeal to adults that look down on animation.

Believe it or not, but this human design of Sonic's scrapped girlfriend is probably the closest design to fit with the Sonic art style in my eyes. At least for the classic era. With the modern and adventure era I'm not sure.

21 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

This isn't targeted towards kids. If anything kids went nuts seeing Sonic in Wreck It Ralph and hell even seeing him in Smash Bros. If anything this is meant to appeal to adults that look down on animation.

Those people arent going to see this movie either.

• Chuckle 1

4 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

TBH, blockbuster design doesn't really have to be entirely grounded in biological reality.

Sure, there are some changes to do and I don't think that just reusing the plastic-y design of the last games would work. But, I feel that here, it get to an uncanny valley where it just doesn't look good. I think it's not just because of the muscle to be frank, but the combination of the muscle and the plainess of just them being blue hairy legs, basically… heck, with the lacks of socks, it's in the same time more (with the muscle, and details on the shoes) and less (with the lack of big color distinction that the original design have thanks to the socks and the shoes design).

And for me it sucks especially because several days before, Detective Pikachu managed do make works being similar to the original design and being "realistic enough" way better (and it's also why I don't really think that blockbusters don't really need "biological realism" to be honest). And TBH, Detective Pikachu was a reason that made me more optimistic for this project, so I'm a bit disappointed about all this xD

For the shoes, I'm pretty surprised to be frank. I don't understand why the shoes are so bland when they could have been inspired by all the cool shoes design that exists in the Sonic saga. I mean, the famous SOAP shoes (and I mean, who would have been surprised about a product placement ?), or shoes more like Riders'. Here they are kinda… plain. And that's why what we have seen make me afraid of the final product, the mixt between plainess and realism create on it some kind of uncanny valley.

To be perfectly fair to Pokemon though? 

char-pikachu.png

American_pika_(ochotona_princeps)_with_a

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pika

258.png

AxolotlBE.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl

384Rayquaza.png

Proposed_Reunified_Chinese_Flag.png

Pokemon takes a lot of inspiration from both real animals and mythology from all over the world. The choice of making Greninjas without realistic frog eyes kind of bothers me and other friends of mine who really like frogs but eh. 

And for what it's worth, Sonic's nose in this poster is pretty close to that of a real hedgehog's and hedgehogs are usually very furry except for their spiny backsides. Yes, Sonic is usually a cartoon and it does remind one of Yogi Bear and Garfield. All the same though, the Marvel movies have elevated comic book movies to being a staple in the film industry now and the video game movies are learning lessons from it. 

They even plan for a series with this. Is that a mistake? I won't lie, I want them to do this as a standalone that could spawn sequels but isn't made with those in mind. But for a take of Sonic in the Real World? This isn't bothering me that much. To be honest?

He kind of looks like a living fursuit. 

And that's adorable to me? My reaction is kind of a great big Eh?

It's not that serious. 

When Patrick said think GOTG instead of Smurfs, that should have gave people a clue of what they were going for. 

And yes, they want a franchise out of Sonic. Paramount is lacking in tentpole franchises and they want to make Sonic a new one. If the movie succeeds, Sega and Paramount turn Sonic into something bigger than he ever was before. Maybe even a Sonic cinematic universe.

• Fist Bump 2

I want to remind everyone that post should contain actual discussion material rather than just memes. Joke images here and there are fine but please be sure to add something to the discussion first and foremost. Save these image and one sentence responses for the statuses k.

• Thumbs Up 7

Okay, gonna do a consecutive visit to this thread. Heaven help me. 

Oh, and here are the OG Sega tweets since I still have them.

On 12/12/2018 at 11:58 AM, PeterPancake said:

That's his design but the face will win people over. 

Isn't that the way sometimes?

On 12/12/2018 at 12:00 PM, Sonic Fan J said:

This is unfortunately a similar problem, and considering before the poster was shown we were told that supposedly someone from Brazil who saw the trailer said Sonic looked like this

Mauricio-Abril-POPCade-Sonic-the-Hedgeho

and the poster is obviously radically different no amount of words from people online is currently going to convince anyone. 

As for me, don't worry about trying to convince me one way or the other. Everything I've heard and seen tells me this isn't for me from any aspect and frankly that's fine. I'm disappointed in what I've seen but that's my feeling and I shouldn't go over board. I'll just stick to Toei Sonic as my go to Sonic and find y happiness there even if it's staying stuck in 1993, because frankly, if it makes me happy and isn't hurting anyone there isn't anything wrong with that.

Where and when did that image come from, btw? 

On 12/12/2018 at 12:15 PM, Sega DogTagz said:

More like they arn't 1000% attached at the hip to the current design and are more willing and open to change/reinterpretation.

Our fandom goes to pieces over green eyes and blue arms. The negativity that exist here wouldn't automatically be present in a public setting.

Pretty much.

Oh, would you look at that! This is where I was yesterday--NEaT!

On 12/12/2018 at 12:28 PM, I Love Sticks said:

Some unrelated good news:

rysc4hdmvr321.jpg

We still have a surprise coming :P

Oh...well, considering that second poster out there....

On 12/12/2018 at 12:32 PM, ShadowSJG said:

But this is coming out at such a bad time, people will compare to detective pikachu and make it look bad

First Sonic Team Racing, then this, eh?

30 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

I want to remind everyone that post should contain actual discussion material rather than just memes. Joke images here and there are fine but please be sure to add something to the discussion first and foremost. Save these image and one sentence responses for the statuses k.

Nothing really to say about it, as it has already been confirmed that it was just a concept artwork.

The only thing worth saying is that it's funny that the poster has the word "Fast" on it, yet nobody is even moving on the picture itself.

18 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Just because the CONCEPT of Sonic is ridiculous does not mean the writers have to treat it as such. Sonic isn't anymore ridiculous than 4 Anthropomorphic teenage Turtles learning jujitsu and living under the sewers of Manhattan. But of these concepts are ridiculous but the idea doesn't not have to be realized in such a manner.

It's worth noting that the NInja Turtles are technically more grounded than Sonic is.

16 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

So people are still arguing "video game designs won't work in a live action setting!", huh? Or that it "won't appeal to audiences outside the fandom". Despite the fact that we've *just seen* the Detective Pikachu trailer which has proven both of those statements to be nonsense.

Hell, even that live action Yogi Bear in one of the posts above looks EXACTLY like the original character.

There was no reason to take Sonic in this direction at all.

To be fair, Pokemon has a much broader appeal and down-pat image.

Also, the movie is seriously called Detective Pikachu, starring Ryan Reynolds from Deadpool. It's trying to be something very different.

15 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

The shoes are different. Idk, I'm not ready to say it's real. I found this even odder

IMG_20181213_014043.thumb.jpg.e423766ecbbdf7a1bffaf2a0323d6c30.jpg

Schwartz was not even considered? Even though Tim Miller said they wanted him the moment he did the voice for the proof of concept teaser?

Could technically be literal.

15 hours ago, Marcello said:

Seems weird they'd create a CG version of Sonic before they even greenlit the cast and script. The cast list also makes no sense to me. Reminds me of those fake E3 announcements lists.

The shoes are completely different. And the positioning of his right foot looks weird.

That said, I think I could live with this.

Well, he IS the main character. One that would almost certainly have to be CG, too.

14 hours ago, Unidus said:

Chris Pratt... What an odd consideration lol

Considering Guardians of the Galaxy, not really.

14 hours ago, Blacklightning said:

Kinda looks like they were making a Crash Bandicoot flick at first but it fell through so they slapped a Sonic head on the model instead.

Oh wow, I can totally see that.

The irony.

14 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

edit: That last bit was a little rhetorical, since modern poster design is kind of a shitshow in general. It's totally possible they made a couple of bad teasers that are blowing up on them in a way the final design might not necessarily deserve.

That's the sorta scenario I foresee as well.

13 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

His shoes are very detailed 

IMG_20181213_034717.thumb.jpg.d32ad338f32af03a627858d3d03c8da6.jpg

Nice Rice accessory there.

I'll admit it all does look kinda dumb, though.

12 hours ago, Adamis said:

The last airbender didn't ruin the Avatar franchise, etc etc.

Not to detract from what you're saying here, but wasn't there something that apparently got inhibited because of the movie?

11 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Best case scenario is this turns out to be another Mario Movie thing where it's actually secretly good despite itself.

The Bob&John Movie or the new one that's being made?

8 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Eh...I'm sure it will succeed, even if it may be moderate. As long as they don't mess up big time, it's gonna be a harmless movie that is hated by the core fans but indifferent by the majority.

The fact it looks like any other live-action CG cartoon mascot film guarantees it. I'm sure those unfamiliar/hating Sonic (or one of those people who worship americanization/hollywood-izations) will say "OH! FINALLY IT LOOKS GOOD" because they assume anything live-action with decent enough CG and realism is better than the original cartoon. 

Yeah, probably.

8 hours ago, Tornado said:

no one had a coronary about Boom Sonic's arms being blue

Um....

8 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Don't tell me I'm the only one..

Same2Me.jpg

Not really seeing it.

7 hours ago, GentlemanX said:

I actually like the look of the concept art? one. He doesn't have the muscles or human appendages, the fur is smoother, and the face is cartoony. To be honest, if Sega saw this, I'm surprised they'd approve something else.

If it wasn't for Generations, I'd could see them potentially having issues.

Okay, I think I'm done for tonight with 4 pages. 

Hi hi, longtime lurker but I finally have something to contribute! They’re putting up posters at my local theater, I went today with my school and everyone visibly cringed as they passed by it. I know we’ve already had concrete proof the poster was real but if we needed anymore here ya go:

FE34779F-552F-426B-8E9B-B145C960D02C.jpeg

This is at the AMC theaters in downtown Boston btw

• Thumbs Up 6

10 hours ago, Strickerx5 said:

I want to remind everyone that post should contain actual discussion material rather than just memes.

Memes are now a very big part of the Sonic series. So important the the official Twitter account, TV shows and even the games themselves use them. I wouldn't even be surprised, if the Sonic movies uses at least one of meme for a gag.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Chika Takami said:

Hi hi, longtime lurker but I finally have something to contribute! They’re putting up posters at my local theater, I went today with my school and everyone visibly cringed as they passed by it. I know we’ve already had concrete proof the poster was real but if we needed anymore here ya go:

How do we know you didn't make that poster, put it down in the theater, and then took a picture of it? Checkmate.

• Chuckle 1

18 minutes ago, Chika Takami said:

Aside from discomfort cringing, did you hear any other comments on the poster? I'd absolutely love to hear what others have to say, as I'm curious how anyone who isn't a Sonic fan is taking it.

With more of these posters going around, it's definitely real... Though I wonder, why are these posters in theatres so early, nearly a year before the film comes out?

2 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Aside from discomfort cringing, did you hear any other comments on the poster? I'd absolutely love to hear what others have to say, as I'm curious how anyone who isn't a Sonic fan is taking it.

With more of these posters going around, it's definitely real... Though I wonder, why are these posters in theatres so early, nearly a year before the film comes out?

I wonder that, too. Especially if you consider the fact that as more marketing materials come out, these are likely to be taken out and replaced by new ones.

1 minute ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Quite a few. My history teacher pointed and screamed "DEAR GOD WHAT DID THEY DO TO SONIC???" and once the spotlight was on the poster, people started loudly expressing their disgust for it. "Why does he have hairy legs?" "Where's the belt buckle?" "Why is it LIVE ACTION????"

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

24 minutes ago, Chika Takami said:

Why do we need a view from Sonic's privates? Is that supposed to be how long his ____ is?

giphy.gif

Maybe because its going to be busy at the cinema with Spidersverse, Poppins, Bumblebee, Aquaman and more out in the next week people will see posters and be passivly aware the movie exists.

8 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Maybe because its going to be busy at the cinema with Spidersverse, Poppins, Bumblebee, Aquaman and more out in the next week people will see posters and be passivly aware the movie exists.

From the point of view of his crotch though?

Those. Fucking. Male. Legs.  And those obviously human feet just to make things even more nauseating.

Good Lord, what a travesty. I like English language just for words like "travesty", "monstrosity", "nauseating" - their analogues in my language don't sound even half as powerful and cool. 

I liked Shadow the Hedgehog, if that means something, I'm O.K. with Sonic Forces and even have defended it on this forum couple of times - I am a very "tolerant freethinker" when it comes to Sonic, ya know. And I've never asked much from my favorite universe. 

But mother of fucking God, what a shitshow: they've just brutally raped and butchered the very essence of Sonic - muh blue boi himself, his very iconic Image, beloved and designed with care, so simplistic and easy to perceive. 

That's enough even for me. I don't know how good must be this movie in terms of story, so I could accept this changes. It should be something truly badass like The Lion King, no less.

Even more of a shitshow are the excuses of corporate fat cats and their lovers on this very forum. "To make it more REALISTIC" - yeah, Sonic is now completely fucking real and believable, "just like in life". Because obviously the very thing I see everyday when I'm going to my job is some antropomorphic blue furry midget running at the speed of sound just with "more realistic look". Yea, now it's totally relatable for normies, sure, you are doing great, Paramount! 

• Thumbs Up 2