Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

You know, if SatAM had it their way, this is what he probably would've looked like.

Still, I just don't get it. They must've known this would piss the fans off. SEGA would've known, and they should known the fans by now, that this would piss them off. Yet they did it anyways. I'm really skeptical of this move. I really do think this is a Crystal Pepsi strategy; to make all their mediocre games look good in comparison.

4 minutes ago, Razule said:

From the point of view of his crotch though?

Some phone company was running a hotdog legs holiday snaps promo not too long ago so someone must think its a good marketing strategy.

• Chuckle 1

Just now, antyep said:

You know, if SatAM had it their way, this is what he probably would've looked like.

Still, I just don't get it. They must've known this would piss the fans off. SEGA would've known, and they should known the fans by now, that this would piss them off. Yet they did it anyways. I'm really skeptical of this move. I really do think this is a Crystal Pepsi strategy; to make all their mediocre games look good in comparison.

What happened with SaTAM? Is it because the show had a darker tone? Did the creators want to change the design? Speaking of SatAM, I hope this movie takes some inspiration from the comics and the whole lore of Mobius. The games never really fleshed out Sonic's world and developed the characters as well as the Archie comics. I was reading Sonic scribes a month ago and I'm planning on getting all of them 

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

What happened with SaTAM? Is it because the show had a darker tone? Did the creators want to change the design? Speaking of SatAM, I hope this movie takes some inspiration from the comics and the whole lore of Mobius. The games never really fleshed out Sonic's world and developed the characters as well as the Archie comics. I was reading Sonic scribes a month ago and I'm planning on getting all of them 

I'm talking design wise; okay I don't know if the creators wanted to change the design, but still. Because lets face it; the SatAM characters like Sally, Lupe, and such do not look like they're from a Sonic game.

7 minutes ago, antyep said:

I'm talking design wise; okay I don't know if the creators wanted to change the design, but still. Because lets face it; the SatAM characters like Sally, Lupe, and such do not look like they're from a Sonic game.

They all certainly don't fit the art style/body type that all Sonic characters had at that time. That's another thing I like about the comics, the variety in character design. 

Btw, I want Lorne Balfe (Ghost in The Shell) to do the score. I could totally imagine the movie having sound design like this:

Here's my question though. What exactly is this movie trying to prove? Who ASKED for this? If they fuck this up (90% sure of that) this is gonna go down as yet another Sonic project that was a failure. Is there a legitimate audience for an edgy live action Sonic movie? I'd LOVE to see the numbers on that. If Sega is looking for another Sonic work that'll be a critical darling, why don't they take inspiration from Mania? Mania didn't need to be a complete 180 of everything the franchise is to be successful. I think a cute little CG movie about Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles going on an adventure would do wonders for Sonic's reputation instead of...this. Granted, no guarantees THAT would be good but if they got the Mania Adventures people to work on it? It wouldn't be this trainwreck, that's for sure. Sonic doesn't need to be "badass" and "edgy" to be successful.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wasn't every western adaptation a weird mix of Sonic style main cast and more humanoid body types on the supporting cast until the later part of Archie?

What if Junkie XL (Batman v Superman, Man of Steel, Deadpool) does the score? Because of Tim Miller? I think he's the likely choice. I remember hearing rumors last year about him being involved

• Nice Smile 1

20 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Wasn't every western adaptation a weird mix of Sonic style main cast and more humanoid body types on the supporting cast until the later part of Archie?

Early Archie and AOSTH also had more animalistic body types on supporting and especially background characters as well. Boom also goes back to having some more animalistic or even Seth MacFarlane-esque body and head shapes for the other characters. 

So I decided to step back in to see what's happening and 

1 hour ago, Chika Takami said:

Hi hi, longtime lurker but I finally have something to contribute! They’re putting up posters at my local theater, I went today with my school and everyone visibly cringed as they passed by it. I know we’ve already had concrete proof the poster was real but if we needed anymore here ya go:

FE34779F-552F-426B-8E9B-B145C960D02C.jpeg

This is at the AMC theaters in downtown Boston btw

1 hour ago, Darth InVaders said:

Why do we need a view from Sonic's privates? Is that supposed to be how long his ____ is?

giphy.gif

Ya'll just seeing that?

I mean, in Adventures of Sonic there was a pretty insane mix of both because they didn't give a fuck, so.

Most of what was typically wrong with them was less that they were too humanoid but more that they weren't the Sonic type of anthropomorphic. Sonic's character design formula is basically entirely separate from what animal each character is supposed to be and much more related to what makes for a good aesthetic, but often times the various comics and shows pushed too far in the direction of trying to make them look like cartoony animals instead of cartoony whatever the fuck Sonic characters are. I always think of Sir Connery from Archie when that subject comes up. To his discredit he also has weirdly humanoid man proportions, but his big problem is the giant un-anthropomorphized horse head they've stuck on him and how horribly it mixes with a world of anime mickey mouse people.

• Thumbs Up 4

52 minutes ago, Chika Takami said:

Here's my question though. What exactly is this movie trying to prove? Who ASKED for this? If they fuck this up (90% sure of that) this is gonna go down as yet another Sonic project that was a failure. Is there a legitimate audience for an edgy live action Sonic movie? I'd LOVE to see the numbers on that. If Sega is looking for another Sonic work that'll be a critical darling, why don't they take inspiration from Mania? Mania didn't need to be a complete 180 of everything the franchise is to be successful. I think a cute little CG movie about Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles going on an adventure would do wonders for Sonic's reputation instead of...this. Granted, no guarantees THAT would be good but if they got the Mania Adventures people to work on it? It wouldn't be this trainwreck, that's for sure. Sonic doesn't need to be "badass" and "edgy" to be successful.

Yeah, actually, now that you mention it--why isn't this a Shadow movie?

51 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

It's almost like they were western companies of the 1990s trying to make supporting characters for an eastern conceptualized character who most resembles characters from the 1920s.

22 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I always think of Sir Connery from Archie when that subject comes up. To his discredit he also has weirdly humanoid man proportions, but his big problem is the giant un-anthropomorphized horse head they've stuck on him and how horribly it mixes with a world of anime mickey mouse people.

latest?cb=20090127042331

Oh man, I forgot how hilariously metal Sir Connery looks in comparison to everything else. Don't forget the mustache was only from his 2006 appearance!

Sonic45-5.jpg

Oh, and Erik the Horse!

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

That's the only thing I don't like. I love the idea of the poster. Reminds me of this 

7188f2742cae54d0f32d8d8d4a8933f1.thumb.jpg.aed4dc1c0055d7a1909582b40feda5f5.jpg

Plinket voice: ...Oh....

Yeah, I think it's pretty much 100% confirmed now that it's real.

Again... I find this whole thing quite ballsy. No pun intended. 'Cuz, y'know, of that angle. xDD

Now we have comparisons for both Sly and Sonic's films going on and their completely different types of films.

But Angry Birds (Movie) was another story and speaking of which I remember the character redesigns from the 1st trailer getting very criticized, then all of a sudden switched when the film released. Anyways same situation could apply with Sonic (again completely different type of film).

• Thumbs Up 1

I think someone in this thread asked where were the mandates that totally leashed both comics. But I'll ask again; where the hell were they for this movie?!?

13 minutes ago, antyep said:

I think someone in this thread asked where were the mandates that totally leashed both comics. But I'll ask again; where the hell were they for this movie?!?

First off, that was me, and secondly, I asked that very same question in said statement.

22 minutes ago, antyep said:

Hmm.. Like I said months ago, the mandates were probably way less strict on Paramount because of the much wider audience the movie has to reach. So SEGA gave them more freedom. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

50 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Hmm.. Like I said months ago, the mandates were probably way less strict on Paramount because of the much wider audience the movie has to reach. So SEGA gave them more freedom. 

I also think Sega considers the comics to be more of an advertisement than a distinct medium. 

• Thumbs Up 2