Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Because they're stupid, or because the decision was made back when the idea of this film was something more respectable than what it is, or a combination of the two.

7 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

I also think Sega considers the comics to be more of an advertisement than a distinct medium. 

Exactly. They probably consider the movie a new branch of the main brand. And make no mistake, Sega is very involved with this movie. Miller literally said they did everything in unison with Sega. Everybody is contributing here 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

The Bob&John Movie or the new one that's being made?

The Bob and John one. It's off topic so I won't get into it, but I genuinely like that movie.

Damn, it must feel embarrassing for Sega to greenlight this despite the fact that they were not ok with the design.

I don’t know what to say. It’s feel like an mess for them. I feel bad for them.

3 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

I feel bad for them

You shouldn't, period. They are doing their utmost to milk the cash out of an old dying brand without any glympse of desire to somehow help Sonic. It's miracle that sonic games are still somewhat okay with such a mindset of Sega corporate warlords. 

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

That is the single most hope-destroying thing you could ever say about this franchise and I am so very glad it's complete baseless conjecture.

No, it's really not. 

"We've worked so closely with the people at SEGA who are kind of the gatekeepers of Sonic to make sure we're lockstep. We're trying to make something that's for today that fans of different versions will love as well.”

https://m.ign.com/articles/2018/12/10/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-first-look-check-out-the-exclusive-official-poster

And:

http://www.tssznews.com/2018/06/22/takashi-iizuka-says-he-is-supervising-the-sonic-movie/

Not really so baseless, huh? He says they are the gatekeepers of Sonic. Any decision they made had to go through them first. And people are blowing the eyes thing out of proportion. What he likely was referring to was Sega and the filmmakers coming to a compromise over the eyes.

• Thumbs Up 2

I actually had some positive things to say about the movie. I like the Golden Gate Bridge poster. I like how Sonic run around the bridge. Looks cool. 

98DA3C3A-97C0-49EB-922B-E4D669D21E8F.thumb.jpeg.7915d15a03fdd5823e4732ce73368a4d.jpeg

Remind me of this picture that I drew months ago.

46648806-BB2D-4F3D-B134-CA9763A5D520.jpeg.c1a1e355b1bbba006a7d38240f668a77.jpeg

I hope we get an scene similar to that. It would be nice.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

Any decision they made had to go through them first.

That's not exactly inspiring any confidence either when everything they've shown and said about the movie is varying levels of terrible.

• Thumbs Up 1

It'll be quite a few years before we get the real behind the scenes story, most people invlved in these productions put out polite public statements until the earning potential is completely exhausted.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Already explained in my last post, which you didn't even bother to acknowledge. Bad products may not kill franchises in one swoop; but they do damage the series nonetheless and alter expectations on how people perceive how later projects turn out. And franchise continuing to put out projects after a disaster doesn't actually mean much if they (still) aren't very good to begin with.

No, you're right, I didn't even bother with your post, as I saw you didn't with mine.

Again, show me how Dragon Ball has been damaged by Evolution. Show me how the Garfield brand has been damaged by the mediocre live movies. Same with ATLA, Resident Evil, and many others. 

Then don't jump into threads and insinuate people are Chicken Littles for expressing disapproval towards a design with comments like this:

I was talking about myself. If you're offended by that, that's not my problem.

What does any of this have to do with my rebuttal about how Sonic products are received or the thread topic about the movie? Putting the spotlight on my personal investment and "contributions" towards this series is absolutely irrelevant.

Because you were acting as if I was supporting the trash we were getting. Like I said, putting words in my mouth. Re-read your post.

Stop framing the series' inability to ingloriously implode after constantly churning out terrible projects as something we should be grateful for.

I never stated any of that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like Angel Island will be a thing here after all, just not in the way you expect. Angel Island is a district of San Francisco. It might not be floating, but it's the closest we'll get for now. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

4 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Damn, it must feel embarrassing for Sega to greenlight this despite the fact that they were not ok with the design.

I don’t know what to say. It’s feel like an mess for them. I feel bad for them.

Remember the annual "quality control" talk SEGA always come up with? Still wating for this years'. I always get a good laugh at their BS. 

Sonic Forces is a lazy game (I'm beeeeing really generous here), yet it sold well. SEGA is where they think the money is, but the reasons they choose to believe were the cause of the success are shallow. The All-Stars Racing games also did good. So likely they thought: "hum, racing game, Sonic. That should be enough to sell it again". Lost World didn't performed well. SEGA thought: "oh well, that didn't worked, but what did before it? Boost and classic Sonic? Yeah, that's what people like, let's just bring it back!".

They don't look much beyond the surface of a moderate success to advance into the next project. They keep running in circles. I wouldn't be surprised if the next 3D Sonic bring back the custom character and classic Sonic, or the next Mania has even more old zones. 

It’s quite sad how most of the games released under Sega’s name in recent years do really well while their very own mascot still ends up getting the mediocre games with mediocre scores. Well, besides Sonic Mania of course!

42 minutes ago, Jango said:

Look at that beautiful 91 on Sonic Mania, tho'.

And that’s because it wasn’t even made by Sonic Team! XD

Anyway back on topic, do you think we’ll finally get a teaser trailer showing Sonic’s design today or perhaps this weekend? I hope so, don’t want this to drag out any longer! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Somewhat telling when a late-night political comedy show makes a jab at the design.

Sonic's design is up there with Mickey and Mario in terms of iconicity - people know what he looks like. Small changes like colour of arms and green eyes might go over the heads of almost, but such an overhaul of the defining cartoony proportions and silhouette, along with the uncanny use of realistic fur does get noticed. I'll say it again: this is going to be laughed at and not taken seriously by most. (as we have already seen!) 

It's simply mind-boggling to me that you would go with a 'realistic' route for this. Would that ever be considered a good idea for Mickey or Bugs?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 1

I swear the Sonic fanbase can really get on my nerves sometimes.

Look, I'm not going to defend this as some 'great revival' for Sonic. It very well could be 90 minutes of trash, but the hyperbolic reactions from the fans is dooming this project before it even gets off the ground.

For goodness sake, wait for a trailer before breaking out into a raging mob. I understand the concerns guys. I am concerned too, but a little optimism? Is that too much to ask? Do we have to complain EVERY TIME a new Sonic project is unveiled?

Can we take a moment and look at the POSITIVES from what we've seen?

I really liked the electricity crackling off of Sonic's feet in the first teaser. It was just a neat little detail that I admired. And the second poster.. Yeah those are some gnarly calves, but you guys are missing the focal point of the picture: SONIC'S GONNA ZIP DOWN THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE.. RADICAL HIGHWAY STYLE! That is gonna be an amazing sequence to behold.

Don't get me wrong, the memes ARE hilarious, but the negative backlash is unjustified until ACTUAL film footage is shown. This movie, for all we know at this point, COULD BE a really good movie, but the fanbase constantly complaining could destroy any chances it has. And that's a darn shame.

Nobody likes a whiner.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

7 minutes ago, Myst said:

Look, I'm not going to defend this as some 'great revival' for Sonic. It very well could be 90 minutes of trash, but the hyperbolic reactions from the fans is dooming this project before it even gets off the ground.

For goodness sake, wait for a trailer before breaking out into a raging mob. I understand the concerns guys. I am concerned too, but a little optimism? Is that too much to ask? Do we have to complain EVERY TIME a new Sonic project is unveiled?

I really liked the electricity crackling off of Sonic's feet in the first teaser. It was just a neat little detail that I admired. And the second poster.. Yeah those are some gnarly calves, but you guys are missing the focal point of the picture: SONIC'S GONNA ZIP DOWN THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE.. RADICAL HIGHWAY STYLE! That is gonna be an amazing sequence to behold.

Don't get me wrong, the memes ARE hilarious, but the negative backlash is unjustified until ACTUAL film footage is shown. This movie, for all we know at this point, COULD BE a really good movie, but the fanbase constantly complaining could destroy any chances it has. And that's a darn shame.

Nobody likes a whiner.

Well said!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

The problem is that releasing this silhouette was a shitty move anyway, IF the design and the face are indeed good. I want to give it a try but we have had rough days recently. It's true the fandom is full of dicks but the silhouette is quite bad and they have the right to complain this time.

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, Myst said:

Nobody likes a whiner.

Fuck it! I'm still looking forward to seeing Sonic on the big screen. Even if it doesn't look like Sonic!

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, I Love Sticks said:

The problem is that releasing this silhouette was a shitty move anyway, IF the design and the face are indeed good. I want to give it a try but we have had rough days recently. It's true the fandom is full of dicks but the silhouette is quite bad and they have the right to complain this time.

Yeah the concerns are justified, I agree, it's just the all out outrage mob that is a bit irritating to me. Fans are trashing Sega, Paramount, Patrick Casey, and Ben Schwartz's twitter pages with all kinds of hate. It sucks for them to have to deal with that. I'm sure Ben was real excited the morning that poster was unveiled, but instead he got shat on.

The movie has a rocky history stemming all the way to 2014, with two different studios signed on. After all these years the production team and Sega are finally able to show off some of the fruits of their labor and they're just getting dumped on and ridiculed.

It's okay to be worried guys, but people need to wait for a trailer before overreacting like this.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Gabz Girl said:

It’s quite sad how most of the games released under Sega’s name in recent years do really well while their very own mascot still ends up getting the mediocre games with mediocre scores. Well, besides Sonic Mania of course!

Sad, but also understandable. Sonic games do not really need to be good to sell. Even Sonic 06 sold over 3 million unites and also Forces sold according to Sega really well despite its very mediocre reception. 

The Sonic brand is mostly beloved because of everything else: Story, characters, deigns, setting, lore, music, aesthetics etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Myst said:

Nobody likes a whiner.

Yeah, because when people played that game before it always worked for the better, right? Everytime people complained about something before it was even out, when it did, it magically turned into a great product!!!

Nope, it never did. The same way it "gets on your nerves" people judging the stuff they've been given, it gets on mine when some people come here saying: "wait for a trailer, wait for a preview, wait untill this game is out". Blah, blah, blah. People bashed Forces (with valid points, may I add), other people warned them to "wait untill the game is out!! You can't judge the game already, they're still gonna change this and that, and this!!!". And guess what? The game ended up being exactly what they've showed us,  and like everybody predicted, it was shit.

Everyone here is on their right to judge, again, what they've been given. If you think this is fine, awesome! But 90% of the people think it's a garbage design based on a stupid decision. 

And usually when something looks shit it ends up being shit.

But it also works the other way around. Mania looked awesome from day 1. And it's still awesome.

• Thumbs Up 6