Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

4 minutes ago, Jango said:

People bashed Forces (with valid points, may I add), other people warned them to "wait untill the game is out!! You can't judge the game already, they're still gonna change this and that, and this!!!". And guess what? The game ended up being exactly what they've showed us,  and like everybody predicted, it was shit.

Lots of people liked Forces. Heck, even Arin Hanson liked it. It's a divisive game, but not a flat-out bad one.

I'm just saying people can voice their concerns without turning into a rage mob, is all. The negative attitudes are dooming this to fail.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you look at the credits for the movie on IMDB, you can see a lot of the people who worked on Fast & Furious, Deadpool as well as MCU films are working on this movie. Some of them did work on Planet of the Apes reboot and Cloverfield movies. So the crew for their movie are a very talented group with a lot of experience. So why does everybody keep saying the movie will be garbage? What indication of the QUALITY of the movie has anybody gotten? Oh, Sonic doesn't have noodles for arms so I guess that automatically means the movie will be an abomination. Thank God the critics and film journalists are not going to judge this movie based solely on whether Sonic looked like the games or not. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Myst said:

I swear the Sonic fanbase can really get on my nerves sometimes.

Look, I'm not going to defend this as some 'great revival' for Sonic. It very well could be 90 minutes of trash, but the hyperbolic reactions from the fans is dooming this project before it even gets off the ground.

For goodness sake, wait for a trailer before breaking out into a raging mob. I understand the concerns guys. I am concerned too, but a little optimism? Is that too much to ask? Do we have to complain EVERY TIME a new Sonic project is unveiled?

Can we take a moment and look at the POSITIVES from what we've seen?

I really liked the electricity crackling off of Sonic's feet in the first teaser. It was just a neat little detail that I admired. And the second poster.. Yeah those are some gnarly calves, but you guys are missing the focal point of the picture: SONIC'S GONNA ZIP DOWN THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE.. RADICAL HIGHWAY STYLE! That is gonna be an amazing sequence to behold.

Don't get me wrong, the memes ARE hilarious, but the negative backlash is unjustified until ACTUAL film footage is shown. This movie, for all we know at this point, COULD BE a really good movie, but the fanbase constantly complaining could destroy any chances it has. And that's a darn shame.

Nobody likes a whiner.

That's what I've been saying about the teaser trailer as well.

I've already mentioned this about the electricity in the 1st poster, but I like it. Now I also already said this but Sonic's legs in the 2nd poster didn't bug me as much as the 1st poster did.

1 hour ago, I Love Sticks said:

IF the design and the face are indeed good. I want to give it a try but we have had rough days recently.

That's my main reason I have for this film is the overall design including his face. I know, since Monday. But seeing as the trailer could possibly release next week with Bumblebee. I think everyone should just be patient and wait for it, before saying a definite yes or no to the design overall.

Which is why I'm not saying that much until I know for sure Because all we have are 2-posters with a silhouette and an up close look at his shoes and legs. But I'm also trying to stay positive on this film, which is hard to do with all this going on. I had the same thing happen before Ratchet & Clank released on DVD (which almost made me think it wasn't good and I did like it) and I don't want a repeat of that.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Myst said:

Nobody likes a whiner.

That's kind of ironic, isn't it? And Zaysho has already warned people about these kinds of posts:

On 12/11/2018 at 7:35 PM, Zaysho said:

The two of you are doing this "complaining about complaining" thing we all got sick of during Forces' pre-release and IDW's first year and frankly I'm getting tired of seeing people's reactions and criticisms (especially those that are probably presented for some comedic effect because, you know, the Internet) being blown out of proportion because they don't like it as much you do. It's not a personal attack on your fandom, so don't go doing it to others. Enough already.

Look, if you feel optimistic about the film, go ahead and say why. But don't go telling other people how to feel, especially when you yourself have recognised that there are valid concerns to be expressed regarding the film. Attacking the people involved in the film on social media should be called out, I agree, but that's not what's happening here.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 hours ago, Myst said:

Do we have to complain EVERY TIME a new Sonic project is unveiled?

Well, if they could stop unveiling completely horrendous works, I think we'd stop complaining. At least en masse, there's always gonna be a few. 

Look, I get it. You want people to dig Sonic. I completely agree. I want to like the franchise and character again too. It's just really hard when SEGA keeps releasing trash. They never learn from their mistakes and they seem hellbent on making new ones. 

And this grotesque design of Sonic doesn't inspire confidence after their numerous failures. Sure, Colors, Generations and Mania did fine (despite them all being games I don't personally care about) but that's not enough to earn them the benefit of the doubt. 

You can decorate a turd up with icing and sprinkles but it's not a cupcake. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Alrighty then.

So what do you guys think we'll see in the teaser trailer? (I think it will be with Bumblebee next week)

I'm hoping it will be in the style of 2012's Amazing Spider Man teaser.

Imagine seeing the scenery fly by at Sonic speeds, from a first person perspective? 

1 hour ago, Myst said:

Yeah the concerns are justified, I agree, it's just the all out outrage mob that is a bit irritating to me. Fans are trashing Sega, Paramount, Patrick Casey, and Ben Schwartz's twitter pages with all kinds of hate. It sucks for them to have to deal with that. I'm sure Ben was real excited the morning that poster was unveiled, but instead he got shat on.

If they can't handle that kind of stuff then they should quit the entertainment industry, that kind of thing is part of it.

1 hour ago, Myst said:

The movie has a rocky history stemming all the way to 2014, with two different studios signed on. After all these years the production team and Sega are finally able to show off some of the fruits of their labor and they're just getting dumped on and ridiculed.

Well if they didn't want to get dumped on then they should have made a more appealing product that is easy to like at first glance.

53 minutes ago, Myst said:

I'm just saying people can voice their concerns without turning into a rage mob, is all. The negative attitudes are dooming this to fail.

Look if you can't stand the negativity in this topic why are you even still reading it? You can always go to a place on the internet that likes it so far and just talk to those people instead?

1 hour ago, Myst said:

Lots of people liked Forces. Heck, even Arin Hanson liked it.

What does this have to do with anything?

Doesn't really mean much by itself.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Myst said:

Lots of people liked Forces. Heck, even Arin Hanson liked it. It's a divisive game, but not a flat-out bad one.

Arin Hanson? Nope. Not buying it. Even if he did say that he liked Forces I would presume he said it ironically. If anything, he probably said that he liked it because he knew the reception of the game was not good to start with; in other words, he was trolling, at best.

12 hours ago, SBR2 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheRealFTA/status/1073421403259584512

FTA from FindTheComputerRoom has found the poster. It's real. Just as I feared.

Ohho, poor Gareth, lol.

12 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

But Angry Birds (Movie) was another story and speaking of which I remember the character redesigns from the 1st trailer getting very criticized, then all of a sudden switched when the film released. Anyways same situation could apply with Sonic (again completely different type of film).

To be fair, I don't think the Angry Birds movie would've been able to get away just bobbing heads and the characters(if you could call them that initially) mantained the crux of their looks.

10 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

I also think Sega considers the comics to be more of an advertisement than a distinct medium. 

Which is funnt considering Archie was a distinct medium for years. IDW inherently fits that description much  better.

Though, tbf, I guess the mandates did come into affect in part to reign in some of the stuff that made the comics go off the rails so much.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Myst said:

Watch the Game Grumps videos on Forces. Both him and Dan had a blast with it.

Well this guy likes it, plus I think his review is the funniest I've seen. But I still haven't played Forces, but I think the story is better than Lost Worlds. It just missed a lot it could've done.

• Thumbs Up 1

I pre-ordered Forces and was admittedly disappointed. I thought it was going to be a return to form, to story-driven mature themes and what we got was Pontaff packaged as a serious story. What they did with Sonic in the story was particularly disappointing as there was potential for a legitimate character arc for him after having been "tortured for months". But nope.

This movie, however, won't be disappointing to me. Because I know it's not going to be exactly like the games. The only thing that could legitimately piss me off is something ridiculous like Sonic being a mutated animal. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

If you look at the credits for the movie on IMDB, you can see a lot of the people who worked on Fast & Furious, Deadpool as well as MCU films are working on this movie. Some of them did work on Planet of the Apes reboot and Cloverfield movies. So the crew for their movie are a very talented group with a lot of experience.

Sounds like a lot of people with zero experience on anything resembling the Sonic franchise to me.  Explains a lot.

• Chuckle 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

1 hour ago, Myst said:

Perhaps it should fail as a sonic live action movie should not have been a thing.

4 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Wild cards?

People who don't like the game (Sonic Forces) for what it actually is and/or do only with lots of exceptions.

1 minute ago, FFWF said:

Sounds like a lot of people with zero experience on anything resembling the Sonic franchise to me.  Explains a lot.

Honestly dude, are there really that many people outside of the video game industry that would KNOW how to make a Sonic Movie correctly? Of course you can probably say the same thing about Detective Pikachu, but still. Not defending PeterPancake or anything.

Taxman and crew should do this movie then lol Nah man, experience with the franchise or not, they could've at least made a little research or, you know, have some sense. 

Mania's story was balls tho'. 

Oh man, what I wouldn't give for a movie adaptation of the Death Egg saga (Sonic 2 to 3&K). Get the guys doing Into the Spider-verse to animate with in that same style, plus the people from Mania Adventures to assist with character designs... Holy shit.

58 minutes ago, pppp said:

Look if you can't stand the negativity in this topic why are you even still reading it? You can always go to a place on the internet that likes it so far and just talk to those people instead?

I've already addressed the post in question, so there's no need to continue the cycle of complaining by complaining about people's complaining about other people's complaining.

• Thumbs Up 7

4 minutes ago, Ruomarta said:

Honestly dude, are there really that many people outside of the video game industry that would KNOW how to make a Sonic Movie correctly? Of course you can probably say the same thing about Detective Pikachu, but still. Not defending PeterPancake or anything.

They don't have to know how to from the get-go, but they have to try...

Some basic research of the style and a lot of compromising is literally all that's needed...

Literally none of the game-y aspects need be in the film, not even rings...

• Thumbs Up 1

They don't have to have worked on something Sonic-related in the past in order to be qualified to make this movie. The Studio are looking for the best people qualified to handle the production. Their being Sonic fans should be the least important thing on their minds when they want a competently made movie.

Also, How will people here feel if he looks like this 

DaZyFGQ_d.thumb.jpg.f59a38787876ae17fcaa43e8fa7e1e67.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1