Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

4 hours ago, Myst said:

This movie, for all we know at this point, COULD BE a really good movie, but the fanbase constantly complaining could destroy any chances it has. And that's a darn shame.

If the movie is already going to be good, the fanbase complaining isn't going to change that. If the movie is already going to be bad, being positive won't change that. The critics probably won't be fans. The fanbase is a minority of people who will watch the movie (The General Audience), kids are still going to ask their parents to go, and they will be the vast majority of the box-office. We can't destroy anything. It's not like we can jinx the movie.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Myst said:

I swear the Sonic fanbase can really get on my nerves sometimes.

Look, I'm not going to defend this as some 'great revival' for Sonic. It very well could be 90 minutes of trash, but the hyperbolic reactions from the fans is dooming this project before it even gets off the ground.

For goodness sake, wait for a trailer before breaking out into a raging mob. I understand the concerns guys. I am concerned too, but a little optimism? Is that too much to ask? Do we have to complain EVERY TIME a new Sonic project is unveiled?

Can we take a moment and look at the POSITIVES from what we've seen?

I really liked the electricity crackling off of Sonic's feet in the first teaser. It was just a neat little detail that I admired. And the second poster.. Yeah those are some gnarly calves, but you guys are missing the focal point of the picture: SONIC'S GONNA ZIP DOWN THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE.. RADICAL HIGHWAY STYLE! That is gonna be an amazing sequence to behold.

Don't get me wrong, the memes ARE hilarious, but the negative backlash is unjustified until ACTUAL film footage is shown. This movie, for all we know at this point, COULD BE a really good movie, but the fanbase constantly complaining could destroy any chances it has. And that's a darn shame.

Nobody likes a whiner.

The good thing about being pessimistic: at the end, you're either right, or you're pleasantly surprised.

37 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

They don't have to have worked on something Sonic-related in the past in order to be qualified to make this movie. The Studio are looking for the best people qualified to handle the production. Their being Sonic fans should be the least important thing on their minds when they want a competently made movie. 

I mean I dunno, having a clue on what the franchise is about could be a bit of help, and doing it out of passion and not just for a paycheck, at least I would think so, but maybe that's just me.

Still looks dumb man. Face is too small in that mock-up.

I just don't get why a cartoon blue hedgehog being a cartoon is such a point of contention with movie studios. Why is more "realistic" so much better? Being a cartoon and exploring mature themes, or having a serious narrative aren't mutually exclusive. See: Plenty of anime, Batman TAS, Justice League Unlimited etc.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Considering the history of the series, the history of video game movies, and these really awful looking teasers, yeah, it kinda is.

Ok.

...there aren't any. Legit, I can't think of anything we've seen or heard that i would classify as a positive. Maybe Jim Carrey as Eggman but that's more of a "could be good, could be a disaster" situation.

You realize this cuts both ways, right? Jumping in to tell people to not express their natural reactions because you want things to be more positive is not the most endearing thing.

That's a bad excuse to jump on pessimism, comparing it to other bad stuff and using the "history of the series" as an example, when we can't use the actual fact that the people behind this are really talented and made some successful movies. If you want to destroy that comparison, it's only fair that comparing it to bad movies doesn't work either. The fact that you don't like anything Sonic also makes this pessmism even less valid, I'm not saying I like PeterPancake's attitude, but neither yours. When things suck it's normal to complain, but obviously it's not all bleak, it's just a shitty way of seeing things.

3 minutes ago, Scar said:

Still looks dumb man. Face is too small in that mock-up.

I just don't get why a cartoon blue hedgehog being a cartoon is such a point of contention with movie studios. Why is more "realistic" so much better? Being a cartoon and exploring mature themes, or having a serious narrative aren't mutually exclusive. See: Plenty of anime, Batman TAS, Justice League Unlimited etc.

Sigh... Because having a cartoon in a LIVE ACTION movie with real people - would take people out of the movie. That's like Marvel trying to make Captain America Civil War with Cap wearing baby blue tights or Spider-Man wearing purple polka-dotted Lycra with yellow lenses in Homecoming. Live action is the main reason why he's not a cartoon. So the argument needs to evolve into "COULD" he have looked like a cartoon and sold to the general audience? Market research probably told Paramount the answer to that question.

That's pretty close to what we're gonna get and I kinda love it. Perfect blend of cartoon and realism. Sonic won't scare anybody if he looks that cute. Great for merchandise

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, I Love Sticks said:

The fact that you don't like anything Sonic also makes this pessmism even less valid,

What? Pretty sure he likes Sonic, especially and mainly the classic Sonic games including Sonic Mania.

20 hours ago, Rowl said:

Since Eggman is a human (I think) it makes sense that the Sonic universe would feature also humans as one of the main population. But so far they kinda have trouble designen them in away  so that they can bland in wit the rest of the regular Sonic characters. In SA andSA2 they kinda looked way to realistic, Sonic X humans looked more like NPCs from a Kingdom Hearts game, the ones in 06 looked even to realistic and the ones in Unleashed are designed more like characters from a Pixar movie.  

So far Sega and Sonic Team failed in designing the humans in a way that fit with the design of the Sonic universe.

I've always wondered why not go with the Bill Hatcher designs since they follow the same design philosophy as Eggman.

18 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Where and when did that image come from, btw? 

It was brought up in this thread a few pages before the poster reveal from a tweet of someone who claimed to have seen the teaser trailer screening that it was pretty much what Sonic looked like in the screening. As for it's origins the website on the picture belongs to the artist and you can find the story behind it there as well.

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

If you look at the credits for the movie on IMDB, you can see a lot of the people who worked on Fast & Furious, Deadpool as well as MCU films are working on this movie. Some of them did work on Planet of the Apes reboot and Cloverfield movies. So the crew for their movie are a very talented group with a lot of experience. So why does everybody keep saying the movie will be garbage? What indication of the QUALITY of the movie has anybody gotten? Oh, Sonic doesn't have noodles for arms so I guess that automatically means the movie will be an abomination. Thank God the critics and film journalists are not going to judge this movie based solely on whether Sonic looked like the games or not. 

I can't speak for anyone else, but the design is just one of many complaints I have about the movie. Nothing they've advertised or said to think about has been Sonic as I know him in any capacity and that is worrying. Then those who defend it like yourself also tell me to discard everything I know Sonic to be implying that Sonic can't sell a movie as he is. While that is probably true, it also goes to show that Paramount should have never went after the license. If Sonic can't sell a Hollywood movie then he shouldn't be put in one. That's just plain common sense. If you have to change everything, then why use Sonic in the first place? Don't tell me bran recognition because Sonic is already recognized as a joke if you aren't already a fan and the movie isn't being representative of what the franchise is by discarding everything because it doesn't work. If you want to call it Hollywood's take that's fine, but this is easily one of the loosest adaptions I've seen in a while and they have yet to sell me on it when they tell me not to think of the franchise I love and their defenders tell me it can't work. If what I love can't work and shouldn't be thought about isn't that kind of enough proof that I should be concerned about this movie?

18 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Also, How will people here feel if he looks like this 

DaZyFGQ_d.thumb.jpg.f59a38787876ae17fcaa43e8fa7e1e67.jpg

I don't like it. I can't speak for anyone but it honestly looks lifeless and uncanny to me before even getting into the head placement problem this edit creates.

detective_pikachu_trailer_24_1920.jpg

Okay, now with my responses out of the way I would like to ask a question about why Sonic can't have his traditional design with realistic textures and minor tweaks when Mr. Mime here seems to have no problem with it. Sure Mr. Mime is not the main character but he's still a noodle limbed character in a live action adaption that had no qualms showing him off in their debut trailer with his noodle limbs intact. In fact, there are actually a number of striking similarities between Detective Pikachu and the Sonic movie.

Both are live action adaptions of videogames that have lots of designs for living things that would not work within the laws of biology as we know them. 
Both are buddy cop movies.
Both movies are aimed at the general family audience.
Both movies are relying on brand recognition to generate buzz and interest.

Yet it is with the differences that my question arises.

One is being truthful to the source material to the point that in the trailer you even see nods to the various tournaments while the other constantly tells you the source material as is doesn't work.
One has no problem sticking as close as possible to the original designs while the other tells that the traditional designs aren't realistic and can't work in a live action movie.
One came out and showed everything it is trying to be proudly while the other hid itself away in shadows or out of sight as though it were afraid of what it was.
One embraced its brand and fanbase while the other seemed to shun it.

It's a terrifying difference in approach to me and shows a completely different mentality and belief in the brand they are making a movie out of. That the Detective Pikachu production and marketing crews are proud enough to show off their work so clearly including a noodle limb character in in a live action movie while the Sonic movie production and marketing team seem to avoid doing so and even tell fans not to think of the franchise itself but countless other franchises just looks bad in comparison. I can't be the only one who has noticed this or find it concerning in anyway. But I don't want to be presumptuous and would like everyone to share their thoughts. And maybe, if their is anyone up to the task, would like to hear someone explain why in two very similar movies it is okay to use noodle limbs and stay as accurate to the source material as possible but is not in the other. I mean, if noodle limbs and as source material accurate as possible doesn't work in live action then I would an explanation for Mr. Mime here please.

• Thumbs Up 7

7 hours ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Looks like Angel Island will be a thing here after all, just not in the way you expect. Angel Island is a district of San Francisco. It might not be floating, but it's the closest we'll get for now. 

In before Eggman goes Ultron on their asses.

4 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I've always wondered why not go with the Bill Hatcher designs since they follow the same design philosophy as Eggman.

It was brought up in this thread a few pages before the poster reveal from a tweet of someone who claimed to have seen the teaser trailer screening that it was pretty much what Sonic looked like in the screening. As for it's origins the website on the picture belongs to the artist and you can find the story behind it there as well.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the design is just one of many complaints I have about the movie. Nothing they've advertised or said to think about has been Sonic as I know him in any capacity and that is worrying. Then those who defend it like yourself also tell me to discard everything I know Sonic to be implying that Sonic can't sell a movie as he is. While that is probably true, it also goes to show that Paramount should have never went after the license. If Sonic can't sell a Hollywood movie then he shouldn't be put in one. That's just plain common sense. If you have to change everything, then why use Sonic in the first place? Don't tell me bran recognition because Sonic is already recognized as a joke if you aren't already a fan and the movie isn't being representative of what the franchise is by discarding everything because it doesn't work. If you want to call it Hollywood's take that's fine, but this is easily one of the loosest adaptions I've seen in a while and they have yet to sell me on it when they tell me not to think of the franchise I love and their defenders tell me it can't work. If what I love can't work and shouldn't be thought about isn't that kind of enough proof that I should be concerned about this movie?

I don't like it. I can't speak for anyone but it honestly looks lifeless and uncanny to me before even getting into the head placement problem this edit creates.

Okay, now with my responses out of the way I would like to ask a question about why Sonic can't have his traditional design with realistic textures and minor tweaks when Mr. Mime here seems to have no problem with it. Sure Mr. Mime is not the main character but he's still a noodle limbed character in a live action adaption that had no qualms showing him off in their debut trailer with his noodle limbs intact. In fact, there are actually a number of striking similarities between Detective Pikachu and the Sonic movie.

Both are live action adaptions of videogames that have lots of designs for living things that would not work within the laws of biology as we know them. 
Both are buddy cop movies.
Both movies are aimed at the general family audience.
Both movies are relying on brand recognition to generate buzz and interest.

Yet it is with the differences that my question arises.

One is being truthful to the source material to the point that in the trailer you even see nods to the various tournaments while the other constantly tells you the source material as is doesn't work.
One has no problem sticking as close as possible to the original designs while the other tells that the traditional designs aren't realistic and can't work in a live action movie.
One came out and showed everything it is trying to be proudly while the other hid itself away in shadows or out of sight as though it were afraid of what it was.
One embraced its brand and fanbase while the other seemed to shun it.

It's a terrifying difference in approach to me and shows a completely different mentality and belief in the brand they are making a movie out of. That the Detective Pikachu production and marketing crews are proud enough to show off their work so clearly including a noodle limb character in in a live action movie while the Sonic movie production and marketing team seem to avoid doing so and even tell fans not to think of the franchise itself but countless other franchises just looks bad in comparison. I can't be the only one who has noticed this or find it concerning in anyway. But I don't want to be presumptuous and would like everyone to share their thoughts. And maybe, if their is anyone up to the task, would like to hear someone explain why in two very similar movies it is okay to use noodle limbs and stay as accurate to the source material as possible but is not in the other. I mean, if noodle limbs and as source material accurate as possible doesn't work in live action then I would an explanation for Mr. Mime here please.

But is it, really? We know nothing about the movie outside of general plot details. How do we know the climax won't take place in Sonic's world with Green Hill Zone and a colorful final battle between Sonic and Eggman? How do we know Sonic himself is gonna be very faithful to his traditional self? Patrick Casey said Sonic is and always was the main focus. Patrick is just an audience surrogate the same way Ross was in Black Panther. He's not the main character.

Do you have a problem with the Sonic In the real world premise? I don't understand why when we have Archie, Sonic X, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic 06 and Sonic Unleashed all taking place in the real world. The movie it taking inspiration from those works, obviously. So why is it such a problem for so many? I don't get it. I don't remember anybody complaining about Sonic running down the streets of San Francisco in SA2. 

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Razule said:

If the movie is already going to be good, the fanbase complaining isn't going to change that. If the movie is already going to be bad, being positive won't change that. The critics probably won't be fans. The fanbase is a minority of people who will watch the movie (The General Audience), kids are still going to ask their parents to go, and they will be the vast majority of the box-office. We can't destroy anything. It's not like we can jinx the movie.

Pardon me, I don't usually get involved in the heavy topics but I spotted something I could say.

There is some truth in what you say, but I think they are some misconceptions too. I do agree that we probably can't destroy the movie, but we might have the potential to dent it, at least. Just as you said, most who feel like watching the movie, might not even know who he is or that might know him, but only by name and legacy. People like those and the children will give it a try regardless.

They might be a group that are uncertain. "A blue hedgehog called Sonic? That sounds familiar, but why?" So they research his name and by chance, come across the fans predetermined opinions and assume the worst. Then there are those sonic fans that are open minded about the movie, but the hatred that it generates infects there own way of thinking and they don't want to see it either. The numbers might not be large, but it all adds up. How many of us would be compelled to say something on twitter or other similar website if we came across a total stranger posting that they are thinking of watching the Sonic Movie?

But this is all hypothetical.

What's ultimately important is respecting others. If members want to be optimistic and open-minded, then let them. It's there right.

If members think it's doomed to fail, you'll have to accept that and don't make a big issue about it. There is no right or wrong. Even when the movie is out, it'll all still be about opinions.

And with that, POW! I'm gone. I finished my post.

7 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I can't wait to see what kind of nightmarish merchandise they'll announce for this movie.

Blue hedgehog spine dry! Dry your own personal pet hedgehogs to make them look just like Sonic! ....Whatz that?! You don't have a pet hedgehog?! In that case use it to dry your own hair blue and pretend you are your own personnel pet hedgehog that is pretending to be Sonic! Act now and buy it for just $19.99! ....But WAIT! Call right now and we'll cut the price in half to ONLY $9.99! BUT WAIT!!!! Call RIGHT NOW and we'll throw in a 2nd can of blue hedgehog spine dry for FREE!

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

7 hours ago, Jango said:

So likely they thought: ". Lost World didn't performed well. SEGA thought: "oh well, that didn't worked, but what did before it? Boost and classic Sonic? Yeah, that's what people like, let's just bring it back!".

That's definitely at least part of it, yes.

Which, I can't help but feel bad about, but that's not here.

37 minutes ago, Razule said:

Exactly this. Fans won't factor at the box-office. If they did, Bayturtles, Transformers and Venom would have not been huge successes. The people are gonna see this movie regardless of how many people rant about it and critics will praise the movie if it's good, regardless of how faithful it is to the games. And if anything, the fan backslash that might make them even more curious. They'll want to see what all of the fuss is about. This week has been great for Paramount because the movie has gotten a lot of publicity and awareness.  And they don't care what form that publicity takes.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

And if anything, the fan backslash that might make them even more curious. They'll want to see what all of the fuss is about. 

Nobody has ever ever ever done this.

If you are not a fan of something. Why on earth would you be interested or go looking for what fans of something have to say.

Also you keep harping on about 'people outside will like It.'

Where are these people? Because I'm looking at places outside of the Sonic fansites, reddit and social circles. It isn't a positive response so far, it's overwhelming negative.

Where is this mass of people who find this poster appealing?

So far, the only other person I've seen other than you who genually likes what they've seen so far, is the Sonic Adventure 3 admin... Lol.

• Thumbs Up 8

8 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

But is it, really? We know nothing about the movie outside of general plot details. How do we know the climax won't take place in Sonic's world with Green Hill Zone and a colorful final battle between Sonic and Eggman? How do we know Sonic himself is gonna be very faithful to his traditional self? Patrick Casey said Sonic is and always was the main focus. Patrick is just an audience surrogate the same way Ross was in Black Panther. He's not the main character.

Do you have a problem with the Sonic In the real world premise? I don't understand why when we have Archie, Sonic X, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic 06 and Sonic Unleashed all taking place in the real world. The movie it taking inspiration from those works, obviously. So why is it such a problem for so many? I don't get it. I don't remember anybody complaining about Sonic running down the streets of San Francisco in SA2. 

I'm only making my assumptions off of what has been provided to me by the writers, producers, and studio. this is the information they want me to have and it is for the most part a contradictory mess that frequently asks me not to think Sonic the Hedgehog for a Sonic the Hedgehog movie. As a fan of Sonic the Hedgehog, both the franchise and the character I find that worrisome and it puts me off from the movie. Throw in a character design that throws away everything I love about Sonic's design for being realistic to fit in a live action movie while Detective Pikachu has no problem using Mr. Mime, noodle limbs and all, in a live action movie and I find little reason to believe that they care to be truthful to what they are adapting.

As for Sonic in the real world, actually the concept has always annoyed me as I've always personally perceived him in his own version of Earth that was not betrayed by any of the games. Even Sonic X for as much as it annoys me did not specifically try to highlight it's version of earth as the real world. You do after all still have GUN, the Ark of all things, and a natural interaction between it and Sonic's world. What you are implying is more a matter of the Last Action starring Arnold Schwarzenegger where his character literally steps off of the movie screen where as the movie just like Sonic X has Sonic simply crossing from parallel dimensions. Believe it or not though, since 1991 I've always considered that humans are just as much a part of Sonic's iteration of Earth as he is and have never questioned it. When Sonic went to Station Square it was just another place he was visiting and that's all it ever was to me. The whole two worlds routine is still one of the most daft things I've ever heard Iizuka say, but even then I don't consider eth human world to be the "real" world. It's just another place Sonic adventures that happens to have more humans than anthros since the humans never seem put off by Sonic and company in the least.

Now though, hate to be pushy, but I'm still hoping someone will explain to me why it's fine for Mr. Mime to have noodle limbs and relatively source material accurate design in a live action movie but not Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Patrick Casey said Sonic is and always was the main focus. Patrick is just an audience surrogate the same way Ross was in Black Panther. He's not the main character.

Patrick Casey...I thought his name was Tom?

22 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Archie(reboot) and Unleashed definitely take place in Sonic's collective world. The Adventure games and Sonic X are a little more dubious, I'll admit.

And 06 is more of a visual thing.

14 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Nobody has ever ever ever done this.

If you are not a fan of something. Why on earth would you be interested or go looking for what fans of something have to say.

Also you keep harping on about 'people outside will like It.'

Where are these people? Because I'm looking at places outside of the Sonic fansites, reddit and social circles. It isn't a positive response so far, it's overwhelming negative.

Where is this mass of people who find this poster appealing?

Yes, yes they have. If you don't remember the backlash to Bayturtles making people want to see that movie. Look at how bad it was

It's not about them caring about what fans have to say. It's about them becoming AWARE of the movie through the backlash against it and peeking their interest as a result. 

Where are they? They're people who can't be bothered to rant about the movie online. People who will become interested in the movie once they see the trailer/ poster.  And no, they don't care about Sonic looking realistic. If anything, that makes them not laugh at the movie. More than half of the casuals making fun of the movie are STILL gonna see it and that goes for the VAST majority of the Sonic fanbase too. So they are all going to see this movie.

24 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Where are they? They're people who can't be bothered to rant about the movie online. 

So in other words.

"I made them up despite earlier claiming I had seen people praising it online and I'm just hoping I'll be right."

• Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

Sigh... Because having a cartoon in a LIVE ACTION movie with real people - would take people out of the movie.

Stop saying this...because acting like THIS is the only other possible option is just stupid.

Acting like the few people who can't suspend their disbelief that much will matter is also stupid.

It's just really that.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

So in other words.

"I made them up despite earlier claiming I had seen people praising it online and I'm just hoping I'll be right."

Citation needed. When did I ever say I saw people praising the poster? All I said was that I showed my fellow classmates the poster and they didn't see what the big deal was about the design. They thought he looked like Sonic and nothing less.

Also, sure. Completely gloss over everything else I said in my post. People keep thinking the hate for this movie will translate into box-office numbers. 

it won't. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

People keep thinking the hate for this movie will translate into box-office numbers.

Nobody thinks this.

• Absolutely 1

I doubt people will watch this movie because "I wanna see what all the fuss is about". Going to the theater is pretty expensive, at least around here. I don't know how much do you guys spend up there in the States, but down here, during weekends, a ticket + popcorn and a drink don't go by less than 45 bucks... I only go to the theaters when I reeeeally wanna see the movie, and that's a rule among the majority around here. Unless you're kid with rich parents. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I don't mean to get pushy, but I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why noodle limbs are fine on Mr. Mime in live action but not Sonic. I'm not worried about plot or setting or any of that. Both movies are video game adaptions using characters that do not have designs that are possible by the known laws of biology yet one studio decided they would stay faithful to the source material designs while the other didn't and I'd like to know why. Two body cop, live action films adapting a video game franchise with unrealistic designs for a general audience yet only one thought noodle limbs were fine. What makes Mr. Mime so special and not Sonic?

• Thumbs Up 6

7 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I don't mean to get pushy, but I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why noodle limbs are fine on Mr. Mime in live action but not Sonic. I'm not worried about plot or setting or any of that. Both movies are video game adaptions using characters that do not have designs that are possible by the known laws of biology yet one studio decided they would stay faithful to the source material designs while the other didn't and I'd like to know why. Two body cop, live action films adapting a video game franchise with unrealistic designs for a general audience yet only one thought noodle limbs were fine. What makes Mr. Mime so special and not Sonic?

Because Mr. Mime is going to be a comedy relief character who probably only shows up once or twice to make the audience laugh. Sonic is not going to be the laughing stock/comedic relief of his own movie, he will have to convey a wide variety of emotions and be relatable to the audience. The point of Mr. Mime is to look ridiculous and ve comedically appealing, that's not what Sonic is going to be. Apples and oranges. 

To play devil's advocate, Sonic could have looked like this too

3b52855.jpg.a140ec710aa78938ec338b58c59d1bb7.jpg

That's actually what I was expecting him to look like but they went in a different direction.

18 minutes ago, Jango said:

I doubt people will watch this movie because "I wanna see what all the fuss is about". Going to the theater is pretty expensive, at least around here. I don't know how much do you guys spend up there in the States, but down here, during weekends, a ticket + popcorn and a drink don't go by less than 45 bucks... I only go to the theaters when I reeeeally wanna see the movie, and that's a rule among the majority around here. Unless you're kid with rich parents. 

20181214_132253.thumb.jpg.e0053bc6a7e421ad5e630669815d49b2.jpg