Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

4 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Writer’s warning.:

He also joked about the Mega Man Movie.:

There's a Megaman movie?

2 hours ago, Unidus said:

He's kinda made himself out to be a jerk. At the same time though, he's probably under attack from all fronts. And, to be perfectly fair, should he be the one who's getting all this hate? He is one of the writers after all. I doubt he really had that* much influence in Sonic's design...

That being said though, he certainly seems to be okay with feeding the trolls.

How is the threat of being blocked feeding them?

13 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

How is the threat of being blocked feeding them?

It shows that he's letting all this stuff get to him. He could have just blocked people and not posted that status. Makes him a target.

31 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, someone drew Amy and Tails in movie style. Actually not looked too bad. I’m ok with this., if this was the design.:

22549843-29E4-4D62-8A1D-0BFF2DEB1720.thumb.jpeg.daedcedb168e089a34633e92f7d8a8aa.jpeg

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/ASnowflakeOwl/status/1073728270124834816

Also, SquigglyDigg drew Shadow in movie style.:

These look really great and make me excited to see more of the supporting characters. Sonic's face is not grotesque. It's going to be closer to that leaked poster. What I like the early design was how expressive the face is. Remember, Schwartz did mocap so it makes sense that his face be more emotive.

Speaking of grotesque:

This movie is spawning some terrifying art 

• Thumbs Up 2

Any argument postulating that the design is okay produced from anecdotes of non-fans not being excessively bothered by it seems ill-fated to me. You would think a movie being produced based off an IP (especially such a large and prosperous one as Sonic the Hedgehog) would have a prime motive to appeal to fans of the IP to fill seats. Just about everything we know of this film is pretty much Sonic fan repellent. 

This isn't a film reviving a brand that has been dead for decades and modernizing it where this sort of choice would be halfway excusable, this is an IP that has been consistently making content since 1991. 

This series never ceases to make the masses collectively drop their jaws in amazement and disgust. I'm starting to wonder if Sonic the Hedgehog was very quietly taken over by a university research group in the mid-2000s as a method of conducting odd social experiments. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, someone drew Amy and Tails in movie style. Actually not looked too bad. I’m ok with this., if this was the design.:

22549843-29E4-4D62-8A1D-0BFF2DEB1720.thumb.jpeg.daedcedb168e089a34633e92f7d8a8aa.jpeg

This looks way too good and it makes me even more sad that it won't look like that.

• Thumbs Up 4

13 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

People who have seen the footage 

So you're just going of what other people have said and not your own eyes? 

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

So you're just going of what other people have said and not your own eyes? 

Do other people not have eyes as well? They said his face is more on the cutee side. One of them even said they want a Sonic plushie 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Do other people not have eyes as well? They said his face is more on the cutee side. One of them even said they want a Sonic plushie 

If another person told you that a dog was a cat, would you believe them because that's what they said and they have their own eyes?

There's been literal claims that Sonic's design is nothing short of the game's design only with fur and that's very obviously not the case when we can see from the two posters we do have that his proportions are out of whack and there's several details that look nothing with what the comparison piece was. In short, until the clip surfaces or we see a trailer, there's no reason whatsoever to take their word for it.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Chuckle 1

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

*snip*

*snip*

These at least don't look terrible, due to ditching the realistic muscles and actually being cartoons rather than trying to make Sonic "real". But I think they really highlight how the movie's design loses a lot of what makes Sonic's design stand out from a lot of other cartoon animals. It's got a bit of a Disney feel to it (or maybe some knockoff Disney-like cartoon), soft, organic, maybe not quite as blobby but otherwise in a similar vein. But Sonic's official design, whether we're talking classic or modern, is very sharp and clean, minimalistic even, mostly just a few simple shapes assembled into a recognizable form.

• Thumbs Up 5

Those designs look good, but only because they are drawn as cartoons. This is kinda the problem with those live action movie adaptions. Just because a character looks cute in a drawing, doesn't necessarily mean that it will also look cute in live action.

• Thumbs Up 3

51 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

If another person told you that a dog was a cat, would you believe them because that's what they said and they have their own eyes?

There's been literal claims that Sonic's design is nothing short of the game's design only with fur and that's very obviously not the case when we can see from the two posters we do have that his proportions are out of whack and there's several details that look nothing with what the comparison piece was. In short, until the clip surfaces or we see a trailer, there's no reason whatsoever to take their word for it.

As I said before, what doesn't look like the game design to us (which the design very much does resemble the game design. At least based on basic traits) may look like the game to them. They aren't Sonic fans. I think the thing you are forgetting is the fact that they had a close-up on Sonic's face and what they said about it was that it was cartoony/Caricaturized and cute. And the concept design just so happens to fit the description they gave. So the final version probably won't be that far off

20 hours ago, Adamis said:

Again, show me how Dragon Ball has been damaged by Evolution. Show me how the Garfield brand has been damaged by the mediocre live movies. Same with ATLA, Resident Evil, and many others. 

For the sake of of your argument, I’ll say sure; those examples haven’t been affected much by those projects. But —as I’m repeating myself for the third time now— not every franchise gets to shake off infamous projects like that unscathed, even if they do get new products. New projects aren’t the end-all to a franchise’s health and success. To bring up some examples of my own:

Bubsy got his first game in 24 years after the 3D game in the 1990s. He has another game coming up. Would you say that is a series that’s absolutely fine? The series is still seen as an absolute joke, unless you actually want to argue that people actually take Bubsy as a series seriously nowadays.

What about the DCEU? Sure, most of their films still made money and an Aquaman film is about to be released. But are people looking at it as a genuine rival to Marvel’s superhero films as WB has been pushing it to be? Did the last film (Justice League) underperform at the box office for virtually no reason?

Metroid as a series was thought to be a series as good as dead until Samus Returns and Prime 4 were announced last year. Even though the last game was Federation Force from 2016. Why would that be the case?

Even before the recent/last game in 2015 in Pro Skater 5; the Tony Hawk series was largely considered dead in the water. It was still being given new games up until that point; but could anyone really say it was still as big as it used to be back in the late 1990s and early 2000s?

20 hours ago, Adamis said:

I was talking about myself. If you're offended by that, that's not my problem.

Because you were acting as if I was supporting the trash we were getting. Like I said, putting words in my mouth. Re-read your post.

I never stated any of that. 

Except you weren’t just referring to yourself in that comment. It’s really obvious you weren’t commenting strictly about yourself with the way you phrased that original reply. Are you deliberately pretending to not notice key points of my posts?

Meanwhile, I’m going to outright disagree that you haven’t said the series getting more missteps was a good thing. Maybe that wasn’t your intent but given your entire argument so far has been hand waving them as inconsequential, it certainly seems that way. Especially since you said the above after blowing off people responding negatively to the film poster as in hysterics.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well my poll didn't do as good as I'd hoped. But let's pretend for a second that this poll represents everyone's (not just 32) views for Sonic's film design in the 4 categories. Then that would mean most people and fans are waiting for the trailer to decide or think it's terrible. Now undecided could be counted into as just that undecided and mixed, but it could also be somewhat counted into the Waiting for trailer category.

Either way, I'll give the film a chance provided I like both Sonic and Eggman (or Robotnik's) designs.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

As I said before, what doesn't look like the game design to us (which the design very much does resemble the game design. At least based on basic traits) may look like the game to them. They aren't Sonic fans. I think the thing you are forgetting is the fact that they had a close-up on Sonic's face and what they said about it was that it was cartoony/Caricaturized and cute. And the concept design just so happens to fit the description they gave. So the final version probably won't be that far off

So you're selectively choosing to fully believe them on words alone when they say it doesn't look like shit (which we've already seen proof against), but not when they say it looks like the game design (which we have also seen obvious proof against).

The final version's body already looks far from cute, it looks disgusting. It is not fucking hard to tell when the bouncy, lanky, cartoon hedgehog that is Sonic is different from the monstrous stiff fuzzy "Sonic" from this movie, even if you're a complete noob to the series. The comparisons they've said "yes it looks just like that" have already been proven to be wrong, so either they're massively misremembering or not trustworthy from the start. If they can't even tell that, why the hell should anyone choose to blindly follow the idea that it looks good in the slightest, when everything that isn't the face already additionally looks terrible anyway?

Going off what we know it looks like, everything else about his body looks bad. Given what we've heard, the whole thing supposedly looks good. But the complete failure to recognize what it actually looks like from the people who were there basically invalidates their claims. This is basic shit, and you're peddling this nonsense as some kind of objective fact when literally every single piece of official material we've gotten from the film has lined up with none of it.

EDIT: Actually, I'm sure you're going to try and deflect this like you do all criticism of this film and yourself, so I even drew you a diagram to make sure it's as clear and obvious as possible what a broken school of belief this is.

mDMo5Zg.png

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Too Many Rings 1

43 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

So you're selectively choosing to fully believe them on words alone when they say it doesn't look like shit (which we've already seen proof against), but not when they say it looks like the game design (which we have also seen obvious proof against).

The final version's body already looks far from cute, it looks disgusting. It is not fucking hard to tell when the bouncy, lanky, cartoon hedgehog that is Sonic is different from the monstrous stiff fuzzy "Sonic" from this movie, even if you're a complete noob to the series. The comparisons they've said "yes it looks just like that" have already been proven to be wrong, so either they're massively misremembering or not trustworthy from the start. If they can't even tell that, why the hell should anyone choose to blindly follow the idea that it looks good in the slightest, when everything that isn't the face already additionally looks terrible anyway?

Going off what we know it looks like, everything else about his body looks bad. Given what we've heard, the whole thing supposedly looks good. But the complete failure to recognize what it actually looks like from the people who were there basically invalidates their claims. This is basic shit, and you're peddling this nonsense as some kind of objective fact when literally every single piece of official material we've gotten from the film has lined up with none of it.

EDIT: Actually, I'm sure you're going to try and deflect this like you do all criticism of this film and yourself, so I even drew you a diagram to make sure it's as clear and obvious as possible what a broken school of belief this is.

mDMo5Zg.png

Sigh... Sonic was moving too fast In the footage for them to see his proportions. We saw a shot of his face and then him running. So they didn't get time to take in the full design but even if they did, the design of his face may make up for the body. They used SPECIFIC language when describing the face. And that was cartoony, caricaturized and cute. And I know you're gonna say he has Hedgehog eyes and a realistic face but who would call that cartoony let alone cute? This isn't like people saying his design looked like the games which is subjective depending on who you ask. However, cartoony/cute/caricature are Universal terms meant to describe very specific things and the meaning doesnt suddenly change because the body of Sonic is more developed. Most people would call something like this cartoony and cute 

IMG_20181213_014850.thumb.jpg.10a040d846dd069ee48b43f291418b27.jpg

Uhhh not this 

LKRNwZg.thumb.jpg.98bdf2cdbf549e3d56e495c78d7db06a.jpg

Or this

20181215_002503.thumb.jpg.674cc4cc9458fc6c6c403fa548853ba9.jpg

Also, only one person said that the Sonic design looked like that painting that was in Casey's Twitter Header. That person likely can't even tell the difference between Classic and modern and they were just a casual fan who saw them as the same. But multiple said Sonic was cartoony and adorable-looking with textured detail and fur. 

I honestly don't know why I'm even bothering with you at this point. In fact, I know how things are gonna go down anyway. You heard it here first, folks. Because I predict that "Sonic"'s terrible face is gonna get revealed at some point, it's either gonna look about as bad as the anatomy or as slightly-less-bad as the concept image, everyone's going to hate it, and you're going to come in here, smugly remarking about how shitty and lame anyone else was for ever doubting this amazing design, even if it looks exactly like those two hedgehog-face images you posted, and if I'm still a self-destructive fool we'll go through this same old song and dance again. You're obviously determined to love this thing unconditionally no matter how many poor decisions it seems to make, and even seem to be encouraging more of them. This is an incredibly bizarre frame of mind, I can't relate to it at all. Honestly, I can tell I'm not really getting anywhere here, you're determined to not listen, so I'm gonna check out of this thread until the terrible face is revealed.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

Except I do have a point of reference and proof. This guy who DID see the footage saying that Sonic looked like this 

If you look at his post history, this guy is a fan of the character and he actually drew Sonic

So he knows what Sonic looks like