Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I'm looking at this objectively, and while I agree that being partly live-action is a bad idea, I don't see how it will affect anything other than aesthetics. Call me delusional if you want, but I doubt we're going to have another "Sonic X" scenario, much less "Sonic Live".

You're not looking at it all that objectively because you're ignoring a lot of context when it comes to the film industry's standards and practices. As I said before, the fact that this is live-action/CGI hints highly at the inclusion of human characters, because if it was only an aesthetic choice the costs for basically shutting down city blocks for days on end to shoot so much footage that the press reports are calling it "live-action/CGI" (and not simply an animated film as was done with the LEGO Movie, WALL-E, Happy Feet, and other animated films with only really brief live-action montages) wouldn't in any way be justified, especially when you can get a similar effect with just computer graphics anyway. However, we've not really broken the uncanny valley yet when it comes to human characters. So by including humans, you are essentially necessitating the need for a hybrid film due to appeal and convenience.

That, and there has really never been a modern live-action/CGI film focusing on a children's cartoon character that was actually good. Really, who here had faith in Scooby-Doo, Underdog, Garfield, Smurfs, Yogi, Alvin and the Chipmunks? Heck, people were shitting on the live-action Tom and Jerry movie and that's been in development hell for so long we've literally seen nothing of it. So aside from this being a Sonic film, why are people actually giving it the benefit of the doubt and actively ignoring the precedent of this particular genre?

• Thumbs Up 9

I'm hoping that they pull a LEGO Movie with this and keep live action minimal, with the film bring almost entirely CGI.

Even if that does happen though, the producer worries me. He's got a lot of mediocre to bad films under his belt, which does not sound good to me in the slightest. I can only hope they change who's behind it.

I'm looking at this objectively, and while I agree that being partly live-action is a bad idea, I don't see how it will affect anything other than aesthetics. Call me delusional if you want, but I doubt we're going to have another "Sonic X" scenario, much less "Sonic Live".

For the life of me I can't think of any live-action/CG film adaptation of an videogame/comic/cartoon/etc. that did not have humans unrelated to the source material as primary characters if not the focus of the film entirely.

Why should I anticipate the likes of Sony (Pictures Animation) (fresh off the live-action/CG Smurfs films that followed the aforementioned film adaptation plot cliche to a T) and Sega (who already tried doing this with Sonic X) to suddenly buck the trend with the likes of Sonic?

If you were looking objectively, you'd know 90% of the Live action adaptions of cartoons are shit :V

I'm hoping that they pull a LEGO Movie with this and keep live action minimal, with the film bring almost entirely CGI.

Don't bank on it. The fact that they're billing it as a hybrid this early on suggests it will be at least equal parts real-life and CGI.

The LEGO Movie's live action stuff was for shock value alone - it was for all other intents and purposes a fully animated film. This is not, as much as we'd all like it to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I wasn't really counting on it given that the same studio (Sony) did Chipmunks and Smurfs.

I hope they aren't going to ignore Boom in favour of the movie, but knowing SEGA, they probably will. Even if Boom is massively successful both critcally and commercially.

The only way I could ever see this working is if it is heavily based on Sonic Adventure. There's practically no other way, and knowing how Sega will dodge the best of the worst roads to take, it won't happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

*sigh* I spose at least Smurfs is getting a reboot with a writer that seems to care about the original material and has stated the new movie in the works will be entirely in their world and a lot closer to the original creators works.

What does this mean? At minimum we will have to put up with two shit movies that will for whatever reason garner box office success and then maybe, just maybe, someone who actually cares will come along and pick up the pieces and reboot the idea to have a Sonic movie and use the actual source material >.<

Or at worst we could have a Transformers where we think we are out of the woods when the director and producer say its the final movie and they are moving on, only to come back and do more, promising change which ultimately leads to the same contrivances just with different actors.

YES. We'll finally get Shadow The Hedgehog 2! Sanic breaking into military bases shooting people with guns! Kids love guns! Kids love Justin Bieber and One Direction! Contact them to do the soundtrack! Bribe every reviewer into giving it GOTY. We'll make biiiiilllions!

As for the movie, I hope Shrek cameos.

Yeah but seriously, no movie tie in game. Please. We don't even know if Boom's show tie in game will be good.

I hate guns, One Dumb Direction, and Dustbin Beaver.

The LEGO Movie's live action stuff was for shock value alone

No, not really.

You're partially right in that The Lego Movie's sequences of live-action were supposed to be a surprise, but it's not just for shock value alone. The live-action segments were not only actually meaningful to the storyline (in a metaphoric sense, to boot) without taking the focus away from the main characters, but was also pulled off in an heartfelt manner that reflected the characters in the Lego universe as well as the generations of audiences who have known and played with the iconic toy the entire film is built around.

Suffice to say I can't see Sony, Sega, and Mortiz doing the same with this Sonic film.

• Thumbs Up 3

It'd be one thing if you two posted at the same time, but there's around half an hour's difference between your post and Tara's so I'm not sure how you missed this.

I'm not trying to stamp on anyone's fun, but be mindful of when the mods are posting and read what they have to say. We're constantly reiterating the rules everywhere in times of high news cycles so we can keep things together, and it's your responsibility to be aware of them.

So once again: no more media-only posts. Unless it's a news update with a trailer and/or screenshots, these posts aren't really contributing to the conversation.

Okay so I had just caught this while I was in the middle of work - I had my tab open for a good while and didn't think to check the new message alerts. My bad - I didn't intend to be disrespectful.

So I apologize - there won't be any more of that.

I'm just going to ignore all these posts and say on my own:

.............WTF.

I put my drawn out laugh in the correct topic, but since its movie related it can go here too. Isn't it ironic that Ken Penders posts on his Twitter that HE can't take the movie news seriously as he hears that a script is being written on one hand but the other rumor is that they plan a series of movies, and because of that he can't take it seriously. This from the man that himself is planning movies, web and TV series, as well as some huge number of graphic novels etc on an unproven idea. Yet we are supposed to take him seriously? I just don't even....ugh

Wonder if he's gonna try weedle his way into the project and sell himself as the ex-Sonic writer superstar extraordinaire that they need on the team >.<

I concur with the sentiment the only way Sonic characters looking as they normally do in a real environment would be for them to be acknowledged in-universe as cartoon characters. It adds to the Suspension of Disbelief, because they're not actually real, so of course they'll look that way.

Otherwise it will just look awful and should be kept in TV commercials.

If they roll with a full CGI environment but make Eggman live action... just make him CGI too. Seriously.

Never mind they should just have humans be Unleashed-style. Realism just doesn't mesh as well with Sonic unless he himself is made realistic.

Live action adaptations feature a big change of setting (often taking place in a real location), often introduce unpopular characters and redesigns and the story focus often shifts to something people don't like as well.

And even if the only thing affected was aesthetics, aesthetics count for a hell of a lot.

You're not looking at it all that objectively because you're ignoring a lot of context when it comes to the film industry's standards and practices. As I said before, the fact that this is live-action/CGI hints highly at the inclusion of human characters, because if it was only an aesthetic choice the costs for basically shutting down city blocks for days on end to shoot so much footage that the press reports are calling it "live-action/CGI" (and not simply an animated film as was done with the LEGO Movie, WALL-E, Happy Feet, and other animated films with only really brief live-action montages) wouldn't in any way be justified, especially when you can get a similar effect with just computer graphics anyway. However, we've not really broken the uncanny valley yet when it comes to human characters. So by including humans, you are essentially necessitating the need for a hybrid film due to appeal and convenience.

That, and there has really never been a modern live-action/CGI film focusing on a children's cartoon character that was actually good. Really, who here had faith in Scooby-Doo, Underdog, Garfield, Smurfs, Yogi, Alvin and the Chipmunks? Heck, people were shitting on the live-action Tom and Jerry movie and that's been in development hell for so long we've literally seen nothing of it. So aside from this being a Sonic film, why are people actually giving it the benefit of the doubt and actively ignoring the precedent of this particular genre?

For the life of me I can't think of any live-action/CG film adaptation of an videogame/comic/cartoon/etc. that did not have humans unrelated to the source material as primary characters if not the focus of the film entirely.

Why should I anticipate the likes of Sony (Pictures Animation) (fresh off the live-action/CG Smurfs films that followed the aforementioned film adaptation plot cliche to a T) and Sega (who already tried doing this with Sonic X) to suddenly buck the trend with the likes of Sonic?

If you were looking objectively, you'd know 90% of the Live action adaptions of cartoons are shit :V

Look, I don't want to condemn this film too quickly. I think it still has potential to be decent. is that such a bad thing?

• Thumbs Up 1

It's the fact there's such a poor record with live action adaptions of what are ultimately cartoony franchises, is all.

Whether it's throwing the characters into our world, poor CGI, inventing movie-only characters that take over the plot, or something else, the record is pretty clear on the matter: live action adaptions aren't a good idea.

Look, I don't want to condemn this film too quickly. I think it still has potential to be decent. is that such a bad thing?

No, but taking such a stance doesn't make you particularly more "objective" than anyone else who isn't happy, especially when you're basing your opinion on the flimsy idea that the live-action angle only affects aesthetics, and not who may be written into the story and how the writing may come across.

• Thumbs Up 4

Never mind that even if live action only affects aesthetics, we end up with either a cartoon hedgehog next to humans, resulting in us going "WTF," or a super realistic Sonic next to humans, also making us go "WTF."

While I don't mind the concept of a more realistic Sonic for fun, I'd never propose it in an official work. He'd probably scare more people off.

don_t_stop_by_annasko-d5jjxjh.jpg

Like, see this? I think it's actually a really neat idea.

But I don't think it would do good in a film. Sonic is a cartoon at the end of the day, and it's best to build an environment that reflects that.

What if it was just a Sonic movie adaption? Like the essential Sonic plot, CG except for the locations, and maybe real people without all that "new" mumbo-jumbo. Do we REALLY need another Sonic X? No.

What if it was just a Sonic movie adaption? Like the essential Sonic plot, CG except for the locations, and maybe real people without all that "new" mumbo-jumbo. Do we REALLY need another Sonic X? No.

Since the locations Sonic visits are often fantastical in nature, I'm not seeing why they shouldn't just do pure CGI, especially with how beautiful Marza's work is.

As for the second part... this franchise is good at giving us things we do not need.

There is just so much that can go wrong with a live action/CGI hybrid it's best to just stick to pure CGI.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe it will be live action for the locations, but CGI for the Anthros, a bit like the alien creatures in Star Wars.

Granted, if this were the case and they can blend them really well, I'd be happy with that. I'm really hoping that's what they mean by live action, because I wouldn't really have a problem with something like this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I keep looking at your signature and laughing my head off. XD

Since the locations Sonic visits are often fantastical in nature, I'm not seeing why they shouldn't just do pure CGI, especially with how beautiful Marza's work is.

As for the second part... this franchise is good at giving us things we do not need.

There is just so much that can go wrong with a live action/CGI hybrid it's best to just stick to pure CGI.

CASE IN POINT:

03a2230ddeec1535d6287ba01acc4e27.jpg?ito

I refuse to see this new TMNT movie.

It's the fact there's such a poor record with live action adaptions of what are ultimately cartoony franchises, is all.

Whether it's throwing the characters into our world, poor CGI, inventing movie-only characters that take over the plot, or something else, the record is pretty clear on the matter: live action adaptions aren't a good idea.

I get what you're saying, and I agree that having live-action is a bad sign, but I still think it's too early for everyone to panic.

Really wish when they announced things like this that they actually had something tangible to show with it so people don't end up in a tizz trying to work out how it will be brought together. A few art impressions, a mock up, something more than the less than helpful generic synopsis. If they are ready to announce its happening then surely they have a small tid bit to show alongside it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I get what you're saying, and I agree that having live-action is a bad sign, but I still think it's too early for everyone to panic.

Why in the world is it too early to make a negative judgement of a movie based on the genre and producer of all things, when most people have done this with every other live-action/CGI cartoon character film that's been coming out the past decade with no backlash and surprisingly accurate results? Like, why is it wrong to be wary of a Sonic live-action/CGI film and not a Smurfs live-action/CGI film?

• Thumbs Up 4