Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Personally... I hope there's no political messaging in this movie. At all. I'm tired of seeing politics everywhere. X_X I just want this movie to be a fun, goofy time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Political messages date a film, especially in the way that our society and culture, even our tolerance, changes over time. If you want a message, you strive for a moral message. A story that one can take to heart and live by.

To use Sonic as an example, a few games have done this quite well: Sonic Adventure 2 says not to be hateful to everyone over the actions of a few. Sonic Rush says to reach out to and love your friends, because they will be there when you need them most. Sonic Unleashed says to appreciate the time with your friends, because they will always come and go. Sonic and the Black Knight says that everything must end at some point, but it's no reason to dwell on it and wish things never changed, because life will always go on.

These moral messages are taken with sentimentality, in heart-to-heart moments. They match the tone of the story. It's because of this that the messages really stick, because we can walk away understanding how the story explains why the message should be followed. If the story is constant slapstick or action and never takes any moment to settle down and discuss it's message, it never sticks. It's in this that I share concern for the movie. Well, amongst other concerns I already have.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think I will just wait until the trailer drop, and then I can judged if the movie will be good or bad. It might ended up to be a fun movie just like Detective Pikachu. Who knows?

12 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Just like Detective Pikachu will be finally a good Pokemon product after disappointing games.

I agree that Detective Pikachu does sound like that it will be a decent fun movie to watch, but were the games actually very disappointing? I don't know why.

What this movie SHOULD have is a message about the environment and the dangers of Industrialism and pollution. That's in line with the messages of the classic games which was expanded upon in adaptations like SatAM and the Archie comics 

Sonic represents nature and Robotnik represents man. This is about the balance of nature and man trying to bend nature to his will. 

15 hours ago, MrPolynomialX said:

I am just hoping that all the buildup for this movie pays off.

Josh Miller actually mentioned that the writing would be similar to Guardians of the Galaxy.

When did he say that? You sure it wasn't a joke, or that it was that post that Casey made about live action film adaptations on Twitter?

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

What if they do a political message about tolerance? Go the X-Men route and have humans hate Sonic solely because he's different, drawing parallels to racism and homophobia. Human beings are racist against Sonic.

Would that be too much?

Rascist against Sonic's race? Sounds very familiar to me.

They had that in this fan film, and it came off as really forced. Can't imagine it working in the real film either.

4 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

...Not really? Transformers movies was hugely successful and widely different from the subsequent certoons that succeeded it and no kid was confused or had "whiplash" because Sam Witwiki and Mikaela weren't in those shows. 

Ditto for Marvel's Spider-Man and Homecoming using completely different characters. 

Kids are not stupid. They know the difference between movie Sonic and game Sonic. 

The difference is that the TF movies also added new Cybertronian characters, not just humans. Blackout, Brawl, Barricade, Dropkick, Shatter, Leadfoot, Brains, Alice, Dragonstorm, etc. (though one could argue Blackout is an obscure character from the Unicron Trilogy.) 

Also, Sam at least has vague ties to G1. 

2 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

Not really the same thing. Transformers' humans are incredibly interchangeable and Spider-Man's cast, sans the designs every now and then doesn't really every change. Peter Parker is always gonna be recognizable as Peter Parker. Mary Jane Watson will always be recognizable as Mary Jane Watson.

This is throwing Sonic into an entirely different universe. No Tails. No Shadow. No Knuckles. No Angel Island. No Amy Rose. No Metal Sonic.

Last I checked we didn't know that for sure, but...

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

What if they do a political message about tolerance? Go the X-Men route and have humans hate Sonic solely because he's different, drawing parallels to racism and homophobia. Human beings are racist against Sonic.

Would that be too much?

...if Sonic is the only one of kind in this movie, I'd say this message won't work.

I guess one thing that could prove that there isn't a political message is that Patrick Casey and Josh Miller's work doesn't usually have political messages in it...but let's also hope Jim Carry didn't write some of his lines in case he ended up making that mistake (actors that have no experience with film screenplay need to really stop doing putting their own things into the script)...

Can we talk about what this slate board is setting on top of?

Interesting....

Alan Menken, who was the head of the music department for certain movies such as Beauty the Beast and the Little Mermaid, is composing a "Kids Chorus."

GSDSFDGSdSgds.PNG

Go check out the Cast and Crew on the imdb page.

You might find something interesting.

A lot of passion was put into this movie it seems.

2 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Last I checked we didn't know that for sure, but...

Paramount's big whole plan is to establish movie Sonic as a franchise unto itself. Throwing everything at us at once simply wouldn't make sense in that regard.

23 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Paramount's big whole plan is to establish movie Sonic as a franchise unto itself. Throwing everything at us at once simply wouldn't make sense in that regard.

Maybe it wouldn't make sense to your tastes, but I think more than a few Sonic fans are going to judge this first film largely by how much stuff it includes from the series, and I'm at least somewhat in that camp.  Paramount bungled its Ninja Turtles films by being very sparing with fanservice in the first, then cramming a lot into the second with little finesse.  

I don't want nearly everything at once thrown at me; I just want more things thrown at me that I actually like in the Sonic series than things endemic to the live-action buddy-cop format.  That is not an unreasonable request.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, MrPolynomialX said:

Interesting....

Alan Menken, who was the head of the music department for certain movies such as Beauty the Beast and the Little Mermaid, is composing a "Kids Chorus."

GSDSFDGSdSgds.PNG

Go check out the Cast and Crew on the imdb page.

You might find something interesting.

If this is true...

Does this mean they're gonna do this, but have kids sing about how Sonic saved them? :V

• Thumbs Up 1

Also note that both Turtles and Transformers as film franchises have been shifting gears pretty hard. Out of the Shadows relied a lot on doing a lot of the familiar Turtles stuff to having Shredder working with Krang and Bebop and Rocksteady being their henchmen. They even went as far to redesign the Turtles to be more green and toyetic and while it was still dumb and immature and mindbogglingly silly it felt like a Turtles movie and I had a lot more fun than I did the original. And there's Bumblebee which is a huge change over the Bay Transformers films to being a genuinely great live action Transformers movie. 

See, if they made this movie a decade ago I'd be scared shitless. As it stands right now, the company has had to learn a lot of hard lessons about what makes an actually good IP movie of this kind. 

If it's anything like Out of the Shadows, Alita: Battle Angel, or hell Speed Racer? Then it's going to be fine. 

I'm genuinely thinking you all are making too much of a fuss over this. I get it. You're worried. But is this worth belittling people over or accusing people of being paid to say things when they probably just understand how this industry works? It's going to be okay and even if it sucks, then fine. Just means another chance at a good Sonic movie can be a few years off. I've played the waiting game a long time of seeing when people would get several favourite series of mine right. I think maybe, we should all breathe. Hahahahahahaahhaahaha~ 

16 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

Also note that both Turtles and Transformers as film franchises have been shifting gears pretty hard. Out of the Shadows relied a lot on doing a lot of the familiar Turtles stuff to having Shredder working with Krang and Bebop and Rocksteady being their henchmen. They even went as far to redesign the Turtles to be more green and toyetic and while it was still dumb and immature and mindbogglingly silly it felt like a Turtles movie and I had a lot more fun than I did the original. And there's Bumblebee which is a huge change over the Bay Transformers films to being a genuinely great live action Transformers movie. 

See, if they made this movie a decade ago I'd be scared shitless. As it stands right now, the company has had to learn a lot of hard lessons about what makes an actually good IP movie of this kind. 

If it's anything like Out of the Shadows, Alita: Battle Angel, or hell Speed Racer? Then it's going to be fine. 

I'm genuinely thinking you all are making too much of a fuss over this. I get it. You're worried. But is this worth belittling people over or accusing people of being paid to say things when they probably just understand how this industry works? It's going to be okay and even if it sucks, then fine. Just means another chance at a good Sonic movie can be a few years off. I've played the waiting game a long time of seeing when people would get several favourite series of mine right. I think maybe, we should all breathe. Hahahahahahaahhaahaha~ 

I don't necessarily expect this movie to be bad, but we haven't seen quite enough that implies it will be good.  I'd be really surprised if Sonic's body looking human in itself ruins the movie for anyone besides the irrational Chris-Chan types, but when we haven't seen much else, the character design calls attention back to how this is a live-action/CGI hybrid, and that comes with a worry that it'll fall into the trap other films of that designation did.  These worries will persist until we see a trailer, which may increase or decrease them.  However, I say they'd better hurry with it, because by now even the film's trolling strategy is losing attention.

26 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

It's going to be okay and even if it sucks, then fine. Just means another chance at a good Sonic movie can be a few years off. I've played the waiting game a long time of seeing when people would get several favourite series of mine right.

Knowing Sega, there's a good chance they might abandon the entire concept of a Sonic movie if this one does badly.

Bumblebee and Turtles are the reason why I think the sequel will bring in more familiar elements. Sonic may get gloves and classic shoes. Maybe tone down the muscles a bit. Introduce Tails, Amy and Knuckles/Angel Island and the Chaos Emeralds. 

I'm afraid Robotnik will be dead in the first movie unless Carrey didn't sign a sequel contract. He will die and have his death left ambiguous in case they can get Carrey back for the sequel 

7 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Bumblebee and Turtles are the reason why I think the sequel will bring in more familiar elements. Sonic may get gloves and classic shoes. Maybe tone down the muscles a bit. Introduce Tails, Amy and Knuckles/Angel Island and the Chaos Emeralds. 

I'm afraid Robotnik will be dead in the first movie unless Carrey didn't sign a sequel contract. He will die and have his death left ambiguous in case they can get Carrey back for the sequel 

Who says they can't horifically CGI Robotnik?

I think the one major thing that scares me is that it almost appears that this film is being rushed. It only took them about 3 months to film. I wonder what exactly they were doing during that whole year of character testing and writing back in late 2017 through the Summer 2018. It feels like it's only been in production for a year or two since Paramount bought it, and yet it's already almost finished.

I’m surprised that Jim Carrey was never spotted on set. I also noticed he is the only one who is part of the important cast who wasn’t shown in this post that Tika recently posted. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It was mentioned a few months back that Jim Carrey did green-screen work on a closed set. This leads me to believe that a lot of CGI will be applied to Carrey to make him look like Robotnik.

I also remember an instagram post a while back from a production worker saying that it's a shame Carrey didn't stick around longer as the hype for the film would have been crazy. This leads me to believe Robotnik will have very little screentime in the movie. Uh oh.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Myst said:

It was mentioned a few months back that Jim Carrey did green-screen work on a closed set. This leads me to believe that a lot of CGI will be applied to Carrey to make him look like Robotnik.

I also remember an instagram post a while back from a production worker saying that it's a shame Carrey didn't stick around longer as the hype for the film would have been crazy. This leads me to believe Robotnik will have very little screentime in the movie. Uh oh.

It was also mentioned that Lee Majdoub would have an incredible dynamic with Robotnik.

And Neal Mcdonough also mentioned that he had a great time making this with Jim Carrey.

Capture theytshrhwthsrsshstr.PNG

Capture fjfjyjyyjjyjyjydt.PNG

I just hope that Lee Majdoub's dynamic is nothing personal...

• Thumbs Up 2

I feel like Adam Pally is going to be Tom’s cop partner.  I spotted Tom’s name and another cop name, Wade Whipple on the Green Hills Sheriff Department door. There was an article that mentioned that he is going to be play a fellow cop. He probably most likely to be the role of Wade. I had a feeling that he probably will had a minor role. I did made a post about it on Twitter a while ago.

On an unrelated note, I found out that he and Ben Schwartz were part of a improv group called Hot Sauce with some guy named Gil Ozeri. They also did this.:

Also, I actually did see him in a TV show called Making History which only lasted for a few months before it was cancelled by Fox. I didn’t realized that he was also in Iron Man 3.

Anyway, now back to the topic.