Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Isn't it possible the trailer could just not be alongside anything and come out randomly on YouTube?

I don't think it happens any other way now. We'll get a tweet announcing it a day in advance and it'll be either straight to youtube or used to put eyes on something else the company owns then straight to youtube.

2 minutes ago, Demondeano18 said:

What about the teaser trailer shown at CCXP in Brazil everyone was talking about a few months back, that sounded like a finished trailer that an audience was shown.

Surely they would just release that one before the 'gangsters paradise' trailer.

Didn't it have a glimpse of the actual character design in it too? I reckon we can expect to see that one uploaded to social media accounts soon before a 2 minute trailer.

Sometimes convention teasers are exclusive to the convention.

31 minutes ago, Myst said:

Possibilities for a teaser trailer:

Attached to Bumblebee
Airs during Super Bowl
Attached to How to Train your Dragon 3
Attached with Wonder Park (March 15th)
Shown at SXSW (March 16th)
Airs during Kid's Choice Awards (March 23rd)
Attached to Avengers: Endgame (April 26th)
Attached to Detective Pikachu (May 10th)
San Diego Comi-Con (July 18th)

Or, it randomly drops on @ParamountPics twitter

victorian-detective.jpg

This is like the best response to this thread I have seen in a while...

Hopefully the only problem Sega had with this movie was the design of Sonic...

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, MrPolynomialX said:

I think whatever the trailer consists of, everyone is still going to hate it either way...

This. Why do I even bother discussing the movie when everyone will just destroy it based on the fact that it's live action? It's a waste of time. "I'm outta here" - Sonic CD

By the way, Paramount is not gonna give a trailer to SEGA, so no SXSW announcement, it will probably pop up online one random day, when it's time and it's ready.

Still, Frozen 2 is out later than Sonic, and it already has a teaser, so I'm officially confused...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Absolutely 1

29 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

This. Why do I even bother discussing the movie when everyone will just destroy it based on the fact that it's live action? It's a waste of time. "I'm outta here" - Sonic CD

By the way, Paramount is not gonna give a trailer to SEGA, so no SXSW announcement, it will probably pop up online one random day, when it's time and it's ready.

Still, Frozen 2 is out later than Sonic, and it already has a teaser, so I'm officially confused...

I am not bashing it, I am just predicting how everyone else will feel about it.

I am remaining optimistic for this movie, mostly because of the cast and crews enthusiasm for the movie.

8 minutes ago, MrPolynomialX said:

I am remaining optimistic for this movie, mostly because of the cast and crews enthusiasm for the movie.

Was there ever a case when they showed the cast and/or crew disappointed about the movie before release? They would probably have a very hard time getting their next job if they badmouthed a movie before release.

I guess Mark Hamill did that with Star Wars Ep. 7, but I don't know if that was before or after the release of the movie.

By the way everyone, has anyone noticed what days Paramount Pictures post trailer? Because I've noticed that 20th Century Fox films usually always get trailers on Tuesdays. So maybe the same or similar could be for Paramount as well.

3 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Was there ever a case when they showed the cast and/or crew disappointed about the movie before release? They would probably have a very hard time getting their next job if they badmouthed a movie before release.

I guess Mark Hamill did that with Star Wars Ep. 7, but I don't know if that was before or after the release of the movie.

They had fun making it, and Passion seems to have been put into the movie.

2 minutes ago, MrPolynomialX said:

They had fun making it, and Passion seems to have been put into the movie.

Maybe, but the prospect of not getting hired if you spread negativity of the movie is also a big reason to just smile and wave.

23 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Maybe, but the prospect of not getting hired if you spread negativity of the movie is also a big reason to just smile and wave.

Yea, that is true in some cases, especially in modern times.

Just now, MrPolynomialX said:

Yea, that is true in some cases, especially in modern times.

Just hope that is not true in this scenario.

8 minutes ago, Demondeano18 said:

Just wondering, who are the folks that get chosen for test screenings? Like the guy who tweeted that he had seen the test screening, who is he exactly?

The guy with the Metal Sonic avatar who says he got picked was almost certainly just riding on what DC Guy said for clout. He applies what DC Guy said to the movie itself rather than the trailer context DCGuy gave, then embellishes it to make it sound as ridiculous as possible. 

As for who actually gets picked, afaik it's just... regular people. They won't specifically seek out Sonic fans (which stands to make that guy's claims even flimsier). 

9 hours ago, Myst said:

Possibilities for a teaser trailer:

Attached to Bumblebee
Airs during Super Bowl
Attached to How to Train your Dragon 3
Attached with Wonder Park (March 15th)
Shown at SXSW (March 16th)
Airs during Kid's Choice Awards (March 23rd)
Attached to Avengers: Endgame (April 26th)
Attached to Detective Pikachu (May 10th)
San Diego Comi-Con (July 18th)

Or, it randomly drops on @ParamountPics twitter

victorian-detective.jpg

Well, there was no trailer shown today. So, I guess we can safely assume that the next event we could look forward for the trailer to is the SXSW. I don't know, the trailer could be releasing any day and anytime. Also, I think April or May could be the best time to release the trailer. 

It's pretty unlikely that the movie would get a game. While, I don't see a game based on the movie happening, but instead, what, if they made Tom and the Girl as free DLC to promote the movie. They could also made Green Hills as a track. Since, the Sonic Movie and Team Sonic Racing are both releasing this year, this might be a perfect opportunity for them to promote and advertised the movie. I know Team Sonic Racing have nothing to do with the movie, but I think of this idea of having the characters and Green Hills as promotional tie-in DLC. So, I drew this picture to see what the game would feel like with them racing with Sonic and the others. Enjoy! I put a lot of effort working on this.:

Spoiler

racing_in_green_hills_by_kitsuoi_dd0e6lm

If, there is actually going to be a game based on the movie, it will probably be a mobile game instead a game for consoles. That's what's most movie tie-in games are now these days like these.:

Spoiler

Terminator-Genisys-Revolution-Android-Ga

3186168-first+image.png

Ze8KHYm.png

pacific-rim-the-mobile-game.jpg

Godzilla-Smash3-1.jpg

latest?cb=20140724081604

maxresdefault.jpg

world_war_z.png

screen-0.jpg?h=800&fakeurl=1&type=.jpg

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Definitely not the actual trailer, but it’s very funny.

It seems like they chose where to go by throwing darts at a wall full of disparate ideas.

With how hard they're going about teasing you'd think they were marketing the first Tim Burton Batman movie. 

I mean, there's nothing but controversy around this thing with fans not knowing anything of what to expect from this thing, you have an odd development cycle where this thing has been anticipated for years, and the casting is even getting people scratching their heads to even worrying that politics is going to be in their Sonic movie. That last one I'd like to not talk about as a political artist who sees the politics in a lot of things and I'm kind of rolling my eyes at people who are worried that Carrey will probably play Robotnik up to be a manchild fascist. Anyways

I really don't think anyone is giving this thing a chance as someone who's had personal experience with this. I mean heck, I'd even argue you all gave Richard Kuta more of a chance than this movie now because at least we presented a lot of what went into that. 

They're going to keep this secret until it's time to reveal. But at the moment, it's a bit too early to even be writing the thing off. Maybe I'm still mad also about how nerd culture decided to react to Ghostbusters 2016 and I don't want to see that same level of controversy with this film. Can we let this film have fun, please? 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm willing to give this film a chance, despite the controversy. It will at least probably be a fun film to watch. The Fast and the Furious movies were dumb and bad, but still fun to watch. Also, the Fast and the Furious producer is producing this. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the movie is a dumb fun movie like the Fast and the Furious movies.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

They're going to keep this secret until it's time to reveal. But at the moment, it's a bit too early to even be writing the thing off. Maybe I'm still mad also about how nerd culture decided to react to Ghostbusters 2016 and I don't want to see that same level of controversy with this film. Can we let this film have fun, please? 

I'm genuinely curious why people believe that there's no room for writing off the movie. Like, sure. Maybe it's early to judge, hell, maybe a trailer will come out and change minds, and at that point, the discussion will shift to what the movie has done right.

But at this point, there is so many things stacked against the movie that it isn't even funny, and there isn't really anything in the positive camp to give a reason to swap mindsets bar people believing the words of the very people who are trying to sell them on the movie, because surprisingly, companies don't think a good advertising campaign is explaining why the movie is bad.

Like, there is so many red flags that has popped up that it should at least raise a caution with fans on how this will be. Not only the usual disastrous reputation of video game movies, but there's the fact it's taking an animated character from a fantasy series and shoving him into real-life antics, forcefully shoving said animated character with a mundane human who has his own love-interest, there's the fact that it's taking a beloved game character enjoyable by both adults and children and forcefully trying to up the age rating to PG-13 for no real reason whatsoever, there's the fact that there's little to no sign of his supporting cast, yet we're getting cast names of random townspeople.

There's also the fact that the design that's been shown even the small bits we've seen is ridiculously alienating and has disregarded the design fans have enjoyed for years, and not to mention that the company who's making the movie is the same company with an awful track record of not having faith on the source material, and being forced to back-pedal time and time and time again because of it, who have a track record of disregarding the usual writing/ideas of the base series and shoving them in with the most "safe" things possible, such as badly done adult humour, and toilet humour. Said company also has an infamous track record of pushing the character everyone came to see into the sidelines to shove the human character into the limelight, which doesn't sound familiar at all with this movie *Cough*tom*cough*. 

And maybe I'm wrong. Hell, maybe all of the detractors are wrong. If the trailer comes out and manages to prove me wrong, then hey I'll be in here cautiously optimistic about what lies ahead for this movie. But right now, with every single detail we have? With every single bad cliche this movie has followed thus far? With every single warning sign from previous movies with the exact same ideas, tropes, and what have you? There's plenty of reason for people to be writing this off already. Especially if the idea of "taking all fantasy elements from this character and placing him into the boring old modern day" doesn't appeal to you.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

But at the moment, it's a bit too early to even be writing the thing off. Maybe I'm still mad also about how nerd culture decided to react to Ghostbusters 2016 and I don't want to see that same level of controversy with this film. Can we let this film have fun, please?

The way I see it, there are bad games/movies where the concept is solid, but fails at the execution.

Then there are the bad games/movies which fail right at the concept, and no amount of effort at the execution can really help it.

For me, this movie falls into the "failed right at the concept" category.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm definitely gonna give this movie a chance based on what I've seen. So far, nothing I've seen or heard has me feeling like the movie is gonna automatically suck. At all. I'm still looking forward to it.

If the trailer comes out and I think it looks BAD to me... then yeah, I'll adjust my outlook accordingly. xDD But so far, the stuff that has a lot of people feeling like this is an atomic bomb of awfulness and like it's gonna be the worst thing ever... yeah, to me, not a big enough deal at all.

1 hour ago, LongcrierCat said:

There's a key difference that should give this film a little leeway.  Ghostbusters 2016 was a reboot of a beloved pre-established movie series, although given the occasional mixed messages it's publicists sent, there's a chance that it was originally conceived as a sequel and only got retooled into a reboot once Ramis died.  Either way, the problem with cinematic reboots is they're usually mutually exclusive to what came before.  This writing was on the wall from the get-go: Even if Ghostbusters 2016 ended up appealing a lot to the fans, it being a hit likely would have meant it continued at the expense of the old canon, so bitter-sweet.  Meanwhile if it wasn't a hit, chances were it's canon would die and the old one would be revived...which is what is happening.  A lot of bullets could be dodged if only they'd made it a sequel, even if that required a somber "Egon is dead" scene.  But if fucking Cars 2 had the balls to do that why couldn't they?

Meanwhile, I am confident this film is not going to replace the core Sonic universe.  Even it's most vocal alarmists aren't under that delusion.  The biggest effect it might have is prompting them to make Schwartz the new voice of Sonic in games...but Smith's take on the character is far from unanimously praised, so there may be less love lost than you'd think.

So as a self proclaimed cynic of what the movie has attempted to sell me both officially and unofficially I'd like to ask those here who are more positive to try and do what the official channels have failed to so far. Now before trying you should bear in mind that 

@PeterPancake has tried and left me feeling like their is all of no faith involved in this project regardless of his passion.
I'm obviously one of the fans who is not pleased with the silhouette or blue hairy man legs.
My only main problem with the live action CGI choice is I find the real world too drab and limited compared to Sonic's own take on said world with Montana being the pinnacle of flat and dull (sorry to those of you who call Montana home).
I believe a buddy cop movie is not as good of a choice as taking a page from Indiana Jones or the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies.
I find a road trip movie undermines Sonic's speed and sense of adventure.
The paraphrased quote "the story about a small town that comes together to help the sheriff..." typically is my introduction to the plot and setting and I do not like how it takes getting to third listed "character" to final bring up Sonic.
I do not like divorcing Sonic from his fantastical world for the rules of my everyday reality.
I'm not a fan of Junkie XL.
I do not like being told to think about Deadpool, Fast and Furious, Guardians of the Galaxy, or anything else that isn't Sonic to sell me Sonic, especially when the plot prognosis is nothing like what I am being told to think about either.
Additionally, I have never watched the Fast and the Furious Films or Deadpool as they were not to my tastes.
And probably most importantly, I was not a fan of Sonic X and the Sonic out of his world setting.

Anyway, so with that out of the way, to all of you who love everything about the movie so revealed thus far, I welcome you to address my concerns. I want to give the movie a chance but thus far have not met with anything but disappointment and disgust and would like to see my concerns addressed beyond being scoffed at for disliking the silhouette and hairy blue man legs. Sure they are an easy thing to make fun of for either side and a quick target, but I would like to see someone make me want to see all of these things that I either don't like or concern me.

Is just as simple as being more positive.

Everything revealed about the movie is so standard, that it's best to think that it'll be either mediocre average at worst and decent at best.

Is that not something worth looking forward to?

Also Fast and Furious?

Actually this kind of makes me wonder...

SEGA has been trying to appeal to diverse parts of the franchise's fanbase. Sonic Mania is a love letter to the classic fans, Boom (before it was rushed) was initially supposed to appeal to more of the Adventure fans who wanted a Sonic game that didn't involve the boost (they probably wanted the cartoon to appeal to people who liked the old Sonic shows, along with Mania Adventures), Forces was supposed to appeal to boost formula fans, fans who make OC's and people who aren't familiar with the boost mechanic, etc.

What if this movie is supposed to appeal to those who liked the story driven Adventure games (those Sonic fans who don't buy the games but just like the cutscenes)? To people who liked the idea of Sonic going into OUR world? Potentially people who liked Sonic X?

Keep in mind that Takashi Iizuka is still supervising the film, and SEGA debated on whether or not Robotnick should be called Eggman or not (and allegedly, they're doing a combination of both), so it's not like SEGA doesn't have ANY control.