Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Everything revealed about the movie is so standard, that it's best to think that it'll be either mediocre average at worst and decent at best.

Is that not something worth looking forward to?

It's not really a good sign for this movie or this franchise when the bar of quality we're trying to beat is "not as terrible as it could have been".

That's not what I was saying, but I mean passing that low bar is what the series has been struggling to do since forever after 1998 and some actually optimistic fans have been trying to say that passing that bar is a hope spot also for forever.

...it's best to think that it'll be either mediocre average at worst and decent at best. 

This is just what you should expect, is what I meant.

When this franchise has proven time and time again that it can be more than just simply "decent at best" if the people involved have even the foggiest idea of what they''re doing, well, then no, simply being decent isn't really something worth looking forward to.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

I think the best thing about this movie will be Ben Schwartz as Sonic. The guy has a lot of talent and experience voicing animated characters and he also loves the character so he seems like a perfect choice. I feel hes really going to try his hardest to elevate the most likely lackluster script with his performance.

2 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

What if this movie is supposed to appeal to those who liked the story driven Adventure games (those Sonic fans who don't buy the games but just like the cutscenes)? To people who liked the idea of Sonic going into OUR world? Potentially people who liked Sonic X?

If it is, then they seriously got the wrong idea about what I liked about those things. I love Sonic X but it isn't because they went to the real world. The entire third season even takes place in Sonic's dimension.

2 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Keep in mind that Takashi Iizuka is still supervising the film, and SEGA debated on whether or not Robotnick should be called Eggman or not (and allegedly, they're doing a combination of both), so it's not like SEGA doesn't have ANY control.

I've hated a lot of things that Iizuka and SEGA have supervised or had control over too.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

So as a self proclaimed cynic of what the movie has attempted to sell me both officially and unofficially I'd like to ask those here who are more positive to try and do what the official channels have failed to so far. Now before trying you should bear in mind that 

@PeterPancake has tried and left me feeling like their is all of no faith involved in this project regardless of his passion.
I'm obviously one of the fans who is not pleased with the silhouette or blue hairy man legs.
My only main problem with the live action CGI choice is I find the real world too drab and limited compared to Sonic's own take on said world with Montana being the pinnacle of flat and dull (sorry to those of you who call Montana home).
I believe a buddy cop movie is not as good of a choice as taking a page from Indiana Jones or the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies.
I find a road trip movie undermines Sonic's speed and sense of adventure.
The paraphrased quote "the story about a small town that comes together to help the sheriff..." typically is my introduction to the plot and setting and I do not like how it takes getting to third listed "character" to final bring up Sonic.
I do not like divorcing Sonic from his fantastical world for the rules of my everyday reality.
I'm not a fan of Junkie XL.
I do not like being told to think about Deadpool, Fast and Furious, Guardians of the Galaxy, or anything else that isn't Sonic to sell me Sonic, especially when the plot prognosis is nothing like what I am being told to think about either.
Additionally, I have never watched the Fast and the Furious Films or Deadpool as they were not to my tastes.
And probably most importantly, I was not a fan of Sonic X and the Sonic out of his world setting.

Anyway, so with that out of the way, to all of you who love everything about the movie so revealed thus far, I welcome you to address my concerns. I want to give the movie a chance but thus far have not met with anything but disappointment and disgust and would like to see my concerns addressed beyond being scoffed at for disliking the silhouette and hairy blue man legs. Sure they are an easy thing to make fun of for either side and a quick target, but I would like to see someone make me want to see all of these things that I either don't like or concern me.

Don’t watch the movie. Simple. 

8 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

When this franchise has proven time and time again that it can be more than just simply "decent at best" if the people involved have even the foggiest idea of what they''re doing, well, then no, simply being decent isn't really something worth looking forward to.

On the other hand, this franchise has also proven that it can be terrible and has a very hard time shaking off its reputation caused by the most terrible parts.  So while I'm not exactly looking forward to a movie that is simply decent, a decent film can at least come and go with little consequence, compared to a disaster that will elicit a backlash onto the whole of Sonic.

Okay I'm getting really tired of the whole "negativity vs. positivity" argument thing. Why is that even a focus? Just let people have opinions. Some people think this movie is going to suck, others are willing to give it a chance. Cool! Different perspectives. Nothing new here to this franchise.

We should just be focusing on news, what things could mean, and yes, hearing other people's reactions (whether they're "negative" or not) is important. Especially when it's constructive criticism.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Okay I'm getting really tired of the whole "negativity vs. positivity" argument thing. Why is that even a focus? Just let people have opinions. Some people think this movie is going to suck, others are willing to give it a chance. Cool! Different perspectives. Nothing new here to this franchise.

We should just be focusing on news, what things could mean, and yes, hearing other people's reactions (whether they're "negative" or not) is important. Especially when it's constructive criticism.

Whom would constructive criticism even be for?  I doubt that the people behind this movie are reading this forum, and even if they were, the movie is probably too finalized to change.  Banging on and on about things that seem like a big, fat "duh" for us, like how this movie's real-world setting and seeming lack of any other anthropomorphic character waters down the brand's appeal, isn't going to make the film change that.  The best it might do is convince them to reveal more fun stuff if they have any, but of course that's a big if--and again, it would more likely be the press that convinces them they need to show us more.

10 hours ago, sucram_h said:

I think the best thing about this movie will be Ben Schwartz as Sonic.

He can't possibly be worse than Roger Craig Smith.

1 hour ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Whom would constructive criticism even be for?  I doubt that the people behind this movie are reading this forum, and even if they were, the movie is probably too finalized to change.  Banging on and on about things that seem like a big, fat "duh" for us, like how this movie's real-world setting and seeming lack any other anthropomorphic character waters down the brand's appeal, isn't going to make the film change that.  The best it might do is convince them to reveal more fun stuff if they have any, bit of course that's a big if--and again, it would more likely be the press that convinces them they need to show us more.

Oh I meant constructive criticism in general. Not directly at the people working on the film. Maybe our thoughts ideas might inspire others outside of this site (not just people working on the movie). Like I said...multiple perspectives.

Whoops looks like I started an argument on wanting to see if anyone could sell me on this movie.

Sorry about that.

It's just, well, I am a Sonic the Hedgehog fan and I typically try to give every official product a chance (even BOOM! which I ultimately didn't like) but as of right now the movie is managing to destroy that desire before it's even shown anything. It's why I asked the more positive members here to try and sell me on the movie but so far no one seems to be up to the task. I've been advised to just be positive and believe something that almost in its entirety I don't like the sound of will be something I like and to just not watch the movie.

While I appreciate the responses it concerns me that no effort was made to sell me the movie but instead telling me to not give it a chance or to change myself to like something. It's honestly very concerning to me if even the fans of what has been revealed don't even bother to try selling it. I'm kind of hoping that someone else will try because if even those who want to see can't sell it, it makes me worried about how word of mouth will effect the film's ticket sales. After all, Sonic is either a laughing stock or an unknown, and you're trying to sell an almost forgotten anthropomorphic videogame animal to a typically older audience than the target demographic of the franchise and you have nothing to use to try and sell the movie. I don't think that bodes well for the film at all. If those who love what has been presented so far can't even find anything to use to sell the movie to a Sonic fan, how are you going to convince people who have no reason to care at all to invest time and money into this movie?

-----

Getting off of my concerns about selling me the movie, the only problem I currently have with Schwartz, who just sound like a more teenage version of Roger's Sonic from the clips that were provided here before, was that post someone here shared where he said he didn't know how they were going to take his recorded lines and make a great movie out of it. I'd like to believe the quote was just a little weirdly phrased but what concerns me about it is that it means he was reading his lines into an empty void. I can't stand when voice acting is handled like that as it makes the acting stilted and jerky without any sense of real emotion or integration with what is going on. At it's worse you get how most bad Funimation dubs sound or if you're really pushing it old 70's dubs on kung-fu flicks. Does anyone know who the voice director is for this film and have any examples of their prior work both animated and live-action CGI hybrid so that way we might have an idea of what type of acting style to expect from Schwartz as Sonic?

4 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

On the other hand, this franchise has also proven that it can be terrible and has a very hard time shaking off its reputation caused by the most terrible parts.  So while I'm not exactly looking forward to a movie that is simply decent, a decent film can at least come and go with little consequence, compared to a disaster that will elicit a backlash onto the whole of Sonic.

Would the backlash even be that bad? Most people expect this movie to suck, and most video game movies in general do in fact suck. It's not like another '06 or Forces where it's a major game for an anniversary they build up tons of type for. It's just another pile of junk on the pile, and that's a pile with plenty of room for more junk.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

Would the backlash even be that bad? Most people expect this movie to suck, and most video game movies in general do in fact suck. It's not like another '06 or Forces where it's a major game for an anniversary they build up tons of type for. It's just another pile of junk on the pile, and that's a pile with plenty of room for more junk.

I hope that you're right, but I fear that you're not.  Sonic isn't like a lot of the junk already on that pile; unlike Yogi Bear or Woody Woodpecker he still has an active franchise, and unlike Super Mario Bros his franchise isn't doing too well.  That this isn't a terrible game in itself doesn't mean it's unrelated to them.  Yes; games matter to the reputation of game franchises more than movies, but quality-wise that sword cuts both ways.  Ask most people to think of bad movies based on video games and they'll think of Super Mario Bros first, but I don't remember the Mario franchise ever suffering a blow to its reputation due to that because its games were still great.  Had Sonic had a movie back at its peak in the 1990s, which as I understand is when it was first considered, even if that movie sucked Sonic's image would have remained intact too.  Nowadays, though, even if Sonic games aren't at an all-time low, that they aren't on the cutting edge of gaming standards anymore is going to shape narratives going into this.

Of course I am generalizing.  Assuming this is mediocre-to-bad, I'm guessing many professional movie critics who have no strong opinions about Sonic will just conclude "It's a film about a CGI animal based on a video game; what did you expect?"  People who already have axes to grind against Sonic, though, are going to use this to push a narrative that this frachise is rotten to the core.  I think that is a very sensible worry because by all current evidence, this movie's quality is going to boil down to the franchise's core.  This isn't like the Sonic Adventure games, which retain plenty of fans who concede that they have a lot of writing problems but enjoy the overall ride through Sonic's epic world (whatever they're currently calling it); this movie just contains Sonic, Robotnik and not much else I can see--if there are other aspects from the franchise in this, then the film's publicists have made a big mistake in not boasting about them.  If those aspects are done well, then I think at least most Sonic fans will forgive a lot else in the movie, but if they're bad in a movie that doesn't seem to offer much else of worth, then a whole new wave of skepticism will face Sonic's central story.  The saddest thing is that if the movie makes people morbidly curious enough to check out the game series in order to marvel at how bad the plot is, with the way the most recent games have been they're going to find what they expected.  Gameplay can compensate for that bad plot in only a few of the games released since Sonic Generations.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

If we are not getting a trailer sooner, they should at least release some first look pictures to keep us interesting.

I think you mean "interested".  We fans don't need help to be more interesting than anything released for the movie thus far.

I'm betting that some random popular singer or band is going to do a song for the movie. They also might make a music video for the song.

6 hours ago, MrPolynomialX said:

Imagine If Jim Carrey's Robotnik appeared at the Oscars...

I hope for a pingas reference if that is the case.  I will admit, I'm generally not a fan of Jim Carrey's movie roles although I have enjoyed his stand-up, but his over-acted shtick might actually fit well with the Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog take on Rglrobotnik.

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

I'm betting that some random popular singer or band is going to do a song for the movie. They also might make a music video for the song.

I am actually a bit more optimistic about this movie's music than other aspects of it.  Of course, that's something of a base expectation since even Sonic 2006 had good music.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not really news, and I’m not sure if this is legit or not. Someone claimed that he had a friend who was an extra in the movie. He get to drive his car in some of the scenes. 

Oh, also, found this. Apparently, there is a Movie Tails Plush Figure up for preorder on Amazon. There is no actual picture of the plush. Could this mean that this confirmed that Tails is actually in the movie? I don’t know. This listing could likely be fake. The date seem to be wrong.

BTW, I made this, because since both the movie and Team Sonic Racing are coming out this year. I was wondering how would the game would feel like if Tom and the girl from the movie are racing with Sonic and the others? Anyway, Hope you all like it! Enjoy! 😁

• Thumbs Up 2