Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Because maybe, just maybe-- it's not a bad product? You haven't used nor experienced said product. Why would you want the product to fail when you haven't used it yet?

And maybe, just maybe, it is? Conversely, you haven't used it either. Why would you want a thing that's potentially super bad to succeed?

30 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

And maybe, just maybe, it is? Conversely, you haven't used it either. Why would you want a thing that's potentially super bad to succeed?

Because nothing about it looks terrible to me or - at least off-putting enough to sour me on the movie.

I can easily see a scenario where this movie turns out to be decent from an OBJECTIVE standpoint. Questionable creative decisions don't change how well a script is written, how good a perfomance is and how well the pacing is done. It's all about how those decisions are executed in the actual film. And right now, we don't have enough info to conclusively damn this project a failure at being a good movie. 

If you think it's a terrible *Sonic* film well, that's fair. That's a subjective conclusion you can come to at this point. But the movie itself? We don't know yet. 

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

Because nothing about it looks terrible to me or - at least off-putting enough to sour me on the movie.

I can easily see a scenario where this movie turns out to be decent from an OBJECTIVE standpoint. Questionable creative decisions don't change how well a script is written, how good a perfomance is and how well the pacing is done. It's all about how those decisions are executed in the actual film. And right now, we don't have enough info to conclusively damn this project as a bad film.

If you think it's a terrible *Sonic* film well, that's fair. That's a subjective conclusion you can come to at this point. But the movie itself? We don't know yet. 

Considering the resume of the writers, mostly being really terrible movies. It's hard to have confidence in a movie when most of what the writers have to their names are Hot Wheels movies, and who could forget such classics as...Transylmania, Hey, Stop Stabbing Me, and Sledgehammers at Dawn.

Not really the kind of person I'd trust for a Sonic movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Because maybe, just maybe-- it's not a bad product? You haven't used nor experienced said product. Why would you want the product to fail when you haven't used it yet?

You don't know if it's good, either. We're all running on our own opinions at the moment until we see what the film actually is with our own eyes.

I've already concluded that the film just isn't good, nor representative of the series it wishes to adapt, and that much of the team's passion seems misguided with what they have presented. Just as you have seemingly concluded that the film may turn out great because you have faith in those behind the film, and what you've heard about the plot sounds serviceable for the film.

Once again, until a trailer drops, we have nothing to talk about.

...Can I also give a mention to the bizarre marketing of this film so far?

They drop a teaser, almost everyone reacts with disgust, and then they point at themselves and say "yeah, we do look bad, don't we? haha"

And then they go silent for nearly three months now, where everyone is just waiting for a trailer. There's no momentum in this marketing campaign, and they're taking potshots at a film that they're currently trying to sell. I don't think I understand what they're trying to do.

• Thumbs Up 3

14 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

they're taking potshots at a film that they're currently trying to sell. I don't think I understand what they're trying to do. 

My only guess would be trying to copy the "official" Sonic marketing strategy.

9 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

They are in the movie. They probably just have very minor roles. We'll see them in the intro likely on Sonic's planet 

Is "Sonic's Planet" in this movie?  I believe I read someone working on the film implying that it would be, but I'm not sure.  

I wouldn't be surprised, though...if only because a film this grounded in the human world wouldn't be stupid enough to make Sonic originate in the human world and expect us to accept that.

Right?

I remember an interview where they said a portion of the movie doesn't take place on Earth. Interpret it as you want… (I hope it doesn't mean Sonic is an alien, most likely it's about 2 dimensions a la Sonic X).

8 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

I didn't insult you, not once. I would appreciate if you gave me the same respect.

Why would I want a bad product to succeed? Why would I want more of a bad product?

We haven’t seen a single still, A SINGLE STILL from this movie.

What gives you the right and privilege to say that it’s a “bad product” ?

Wake up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Lol there is some ridiculous speculation on this movie in this thread based on basically no information. What is the point of it? We all know bugger all about this film because they've only actually done one official piece of press with IGN and the faceless poster reveal. We're just going on throwaway comments (I'm looking at you "juvinile delinquent" from a year of so ago!!) and speculation based on filming locations (San Fransisco = GUN chase!!).

None of us know anything about this movie yet. None of us know which characters are in it because it hasn't been announced, and we're unlikely to get a trailer or anything else for a long time as is the standard. I've followed production just about as closely as one possibly could given the limited amount of leaks and information available and feel completely in the dark. And that's normal this far from release.

It'll probably be fine.

• Thumbs Up 4

19 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I'm kind of skeptical about other characters besides Sonic and Robotnick getting in. Wouldn't someone besides Been Schwartz be mentioned for a voice role or motion capture setting if that was the case?

They could be made fully CGI, without mocap. Or maybe they thought the mocap/voice actors weren’t important.

3 hours ago, Alexios31 said:

Wake up. 

Basic free speech gives the right. Even taking into account we're on a privately owned board with its own rules, I'm pretty sure there's no rule against "calling it as one sees it".

As I've already said in this thread at least once before - at this point if you don’t know why people aren’t being receptive towards this, it’s not because you don’t know, it’s because you don’t want to know. Saturn isn't the one who needs to "Wake Up" here. And if it's really too early to criticise it, then it's too early to scream about how good it's going to be, too. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh the double standards. 

So we vet vet ridiculed for being excited by the movie but when we call our hate speech it’s a crime. 

Wow. 

15 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

Oh the double standards. 

So we vet vet ridiculed for being excited by the movie but when we call our hate speech it’s a crime. 

Wow. 

Saying a movie looks bad is not "hate speech." To brand it such in an attempt to make the situation sound worse than it is, is a liiiiiiittle bit sad.

You're being ridiculed for trying to police opinions people have based on the exact same amount of content you've seen to determine it's going to be good. 

• Thumbs Up 7

I think the IGN article mentioned that part of the movie won't take place on Earth. Sonic is either an alien or a being from an alternative dimension. They compared it to ET for a reason.

Either way, I'm willing to bet my entire paycheck that Tails will show up in this movie. In some form or fashion 

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I think the IGN article mentioned that part of the movie won't take place on Earth. Sonic is either an alien or a being from an alternative dimension. They compared it to ET for a reason.

Either way, I'm willing to bet my entire paycheck that Tails will show up in this movie. In some form or fashion 

I’m with you all the way. 

I honestly cant wait for this movie!!

• Fist Bump 5

5 hours ago, Alexios31 said:

Wake up. 

1 hour ago, Alexios31 said:

Oh the double standards. 

Wow. 

Is Greek law just really, really different from most other first world countries' law?  Because holy shit; the way you're going on about this it makes it sound like you legitimately believe that expressing worries about how a movie will turn out is against the law.  But even if it is in your country (which I doubt), it's not most other places and the forum abides by those other places' laws.

More realistically, you might just be unfamiliar with what English phrases actually mean, so here is some clarification in case you don't know.  "Hate speech" may sound like it just refers to speaking about anything you hate, but as it's usually used it actually refers to hatred of certain sorts of people on the mere grounds that they are this sort of people, i.e. Jews.  That sort of speech is usually banned on forums, but expressing hatred of things is not.  Hating a movie is fine; not to mention that in these moments people aren't even hating a movie so much as being skeptical of it.

1 hour ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Is Greek law just really, really different from most other first world countries' law?  Because holy shit; the way you're going on about this it makes it sound like you legitimately believe that expressing worries about how a movie will turn out is against the law.  But even if it is in your country (which I doubt), it's not most other places and the forum abides by those other places' laws. 

More realistically, you might just be unfamiliar with what English phrases actually mean, so here is some clarification in case you don't know.  "Hate speech" may sound like it just refers to speaking about anything you hate, but as it's usually used it actually refers to hatred of certain sorts of people on the mere grounds that they are this sort of people, i.e. Jews.  That sort of speech is usually banned on forums, but expressing hatred of things is not.  Hating a movie is fine; not to mention that in these moments people aren't even hating a movie so much as being skeptical of it. 

First, this post reads as slightly condescending and while I understand and emphasize that the quoted posts weren't really much better in that regard, I don't think it's a spirit we want to foster.  Second, a moderator has already handled this issue, so I'd appreciate it if we can move on and not pile on, continue to beat a dead horse, etc.  Let's make this thread about the movie itself, for better or for worse, and not devolve it into arguing with one or two people, please.  Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 7

8 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

It'll probably be fine.

Sonics track record with media outside games + video game movies trend of being typically fucking jokes = not much faith or optimism for the large majority of people. People aren’t being unreasonably negative 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

Lol there is some ridiculous speculation on this movie in this thread based on basically no information. What is the point of it? We all know bugger all about this film because they've only actually done one official piece of press with IGN and the faceless poster reveal. We're just going on throwaway comments (I'm looking at you "juvinile delinquent" from a year of so ago!!) and speculation based on filming locations (San Fransisco = GUN chase!!).

None of us know anything about this movie yet. None of us know which characters are in it because it hasn't been announced, and we're unlikely to get a trailer or anything else for a long time as is the standard. I've followed production just about as closely as one possibly could given the limited amount of leaks and information available and feel completely in the dark. And that's normal this far from release.

It'll probably be fine.

Agreed!

4 hours ago, Alexios31 said:

I’m with you all the way. 

I honestly cant wait for this movie!!

Me too!

BTW, AMC Theaters posted this. It just all the info that we already know so far.:

• Thumbs Up 2

I wasn't aware of the moderator stepping in.

Moving right along, then, here is my opinion in bullet format:

•I don't see much evidence this film is approaching Sonic correctly.  It could easily turn out bad, but even if it's entertaining for what it is, it might not satisfy what Sonic fans see as ideal.

•I don't want this movie to be bad, but this is mostly out of circumstantial pragmatic concerns.  This film being bad is going to rub salt in a wound caused by the core Sonic series already having a bad reputation; if the reputation was more secure and the film is as alien to Sonic's core appeal as it looks, I wouldn't mind rooting against it.

•So my weird conclusion, on the assumption that this film will be far removed from what Sonic should be, is that in the best case scenario the film will be average.  Not bad enough to draw negative attention to the rest of Sonic, and not good enough that it's success affects the rest of Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

It says in that article (and the IGN article probably, but I wasn't paying attention), that Sonic's speed EVOLVES. So he's not fast at the beginning of the movie.

I was always curious as to why his shoes were electrocuting in the motion poster. It appears that he may not be naturally fast, but rather, the shoes help him gain speed maybe?

I have a feeling that rings are going to have something to do with this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe Sonic gets new shoes at the end of the movie, more closely resembling the games? And gets the gloves too?

45 minutes ago, Myst said:

Maybe Sonic gets new shoes at the end of the movie, more closely resembling the games? And gets the gloves too?

Game-accurate shoes would sure make more sense than shoes with laces, which would logically be a huge hazard--and yes, if this movie insists on playing it closer to reality, I will hold bad logic against it.