Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

20 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

They're different, but that has nothing to do with the 'maturity' of one over the other. Maus may be a book with illustrated anthropomorphic mice, but that doesn't devalue its message, tone, and importance in the slightest.

Of course not. But if you translated Maus to live action then the instruments used as a mean to tell the story (anthropomorphic mice) would have to be altered in order to make the jump to a completely different medium. 

I think one thing that this whole ordeal has changed my perspective on is the idea that an animated Sonic movie could have worked and still been a mature story. Provided it didn't go to Illumination but a Sonic movie in vein of 'Into The Spider-Verse' would have indeed been great. Maybe in the future? If this movie succeeds, we'll get more Sonic content. I could easily see a scenario where we start getting animated movies like Justice League: Throne of Alantis or Flashpoint. Who's to say an animated movie can be greenlit to go to the big screen the same time the live action franchise is happening? After all, Spider-Verse and the MCU Spider-Man are currently co-existing 

Found this very cool music made by a fan for the movie. Sound very intense and cool, huh?

Hopefully, a song like this is in the movie. 

I know this is fan made. If I'm not even allowed to posted this like the drawings anymore. Sorry about that. However, I want to show you what could the songs for the movie could be like.

I made my own thread where, I could posted all my work there. You can check it out, if you want.:

Oh, BTW, Ben posted this.:

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

...All in a different format. Live action and animation are two COMPLETELY different mediums. What you can get away with in a highly stylized environment/world you can not get away with in the real world. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse would have been rated PG-13 had it not been animated. There are soo many intense moments in that movie. Comparing SatAM and Sonic Adventure to something like Avengers or Deadpool does not register for those reasons. Let's say you divorce SatAM from it's cartoony/stylized world and translate that story to the real world - it takes on an even DARKER tone because it applies to the real world. Sonic would have to be translated along with every other character 

I just wish for you to know that Into The Spider-Verse has been constantly mistaken to be a PG-13 movie until the classification was finally revealed. Even then, it's very close to being PG-13, and got it's PG for a reason that no other animated movies have, for "intense cartoon violence" or something like that.

I also wish for you to know these mediums are chosen because it helps enhance the movie in the way the producers wish it to. The whole deal with Into The Spider-Verse is that it was meant to be an animated comic book. Live-action has done this too, Speed Racer looks like an anime come to life, and Scott Pilgrim VS The World looks like a comic book come to life.

Lastly, things like The Avengers is an extention of reality, it is linked to our world. Sonic is far too surreal and unusual, having never meant to fit into reality. This is what marks the difference. A property that is an extension of reality translates smoothly, whereas one that is not will always struggle.

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm worried that when the trailer comes out, I'll cringe so hard that my neck will snap from the whiplash. It'll be history in the making but not in the way I want. 

Personally, I would have preferred to hear some 80's music going along with this film just like the soundtrack in Detective Pikachu's trailers, though I guarantee they're going to have some sort of modern rap music here.

I'm not saying that to "hate" or even saying it's going to be bad because of that (even if I did, that's just an opinion, a thing that everyone seems to flip out over here), I'm just saying I expect something more modern. I could be surprised.

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

I thought it was already established that guy isn't Jim Carrey. He just happens to look like Jim Carrey in old man make-up.

It isn't, but this is a line in the movie according to Maui Jill.

Look at the thread

4 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Found this very cool music made by a fan for the movie. Sound very intense and cool, huh?

Hopefully, a song like this is in the movie. 

I know this is fan made. If I'm not even allowed to posted this like the drawings anymore. Sorry about that. However, I want to show you what could the songs for the movie could be like.

I made my own thread where, I could posted all my work there. You can check it out, if you want.:

Oh, BTW, Ben posted this.:

All this cross-referencing Detective Pikachu kind of makes me think of how different the reactions to these projects have generally been.  From what I've seen, I'm not sure the difference is in the art direction; I've read commentary from people opining that at least some of the realistic Pokemon look ugly.  Even Pikachu himself seems a bit controversial for having fluffy fur and black eyes.  You know what I think the actual difference is, and why Detective Pikachu has been better-received? Because it's willing to show more, and possibly ADD more.  For all that realistic Mr. Mime creeps people out, that the movie even includes Mr. Mime shows how deep it is willing to dig into Pokemon lore.  

The Sonic movie's promotion so far hasn't revealed anywhere close to that sort of brand reverence.  If only it had followed Pikachu and done so in it's first look, then a lot of people would have forgiven the design.  Of course, that hinges on there actually BEING much to show.

3 minutes ago, MrPolynomialX said:

It isn't, but this is a line in the movie according to Maui Jill.

Look at the thread

I still don't get what we're looking for.  Robotnik denying he created Sonic?

9 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I still don't get what we're looking for.  Robotnik denying he created Sonic?

It's not saying it's Robotnick. Read the comments of the thread (I guess I'll just share her tweet).

https://www.twitter.com/LuxuryAccess/status/1042588293924192256

Jill is someone who actually got near the set of the film. That guy with the beard says "I could not have created this creature" in the film, according to her.

7 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

You know what I think the actual difference is, and why Detective Pikachu has been better-received? Because it's willing to show more, and possibly ADD more.  For all that realistic Mr. Mime creeps people out, that the movie even includes Mr. Mime shows how deep it is willing to dig into Pokemon lore. 

For whatever controversies exist around the two, this isn't even something we can compare. It very apparent from what we've seen that right from the start the guys behind detective Pikachu for better or worse were going to stick to the historical design of each and every Pokemon. You see it across the board. They were not interested in re-inventing the wheel or redesigning iconic characters to fit in a realistic setting. They simply worked with what they had, up-scaling textures and interpreting design intentions. Sure, its going to end up with a handful of abominations (Things like Mr. Mime and Licki-T obviously wont translate as well as a Growlithe) but at the end of the day, you can at least respect them for sticking in the series guns.

The Sonic mock-up goes in another direction. Its not a faithful recreation of a realistic Sonic, but a tear down and rebuilt model using our laws of nature and physics. Its a different philosophy. Detective Pikachu gives us "pokemon with realistic textures". Sonic gives us "what happens if anthro hedgehogs could exist in this reality". Its a different pill to swallow. And quite frankly, the former is much more palatable than the latter.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, MrPolynomialX said:

This is a line in the movie according to Maui Jill!

Look at the thread.

31 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

He says, "I could not have created this creature" apparently, according to the thread.

Isn't that guy is Crazy Carl who is being played by this guy named Frank C. Turner?:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3794354/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

It was confirmed that man in the 1st picture is being played by him.:

The fact we have seen noting of sonic besides his legs spread and a blacked out image bascially yells to me they have no faith in the film. At least DP is giving fans reasons to be hyped for it and rightfully so. People are excited. As for sonic upon his poster reveal all we got were joke memes of how he spread his legs.

• Absolutely 1

6 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

The fact we have seen noting of sonic besides his legs spread and a blacked out image bascially yells to me they have no faith in the film. At least DP is giving fans reasons to be hyped for it and rightfully so. People are excited. As for sonic upon his poster reveal all we got were joke memes of how he spread his legs.

That is not true....

A lot of passion was put into this movie.

6 minutes ago, MrPolynomialX said:

That is not true....

A lot of passion was put into this movie.

This passion means nothing until we see actually something. And the fact that they're so hesitant on showing anything doesn't feel so much like passion to me. What we've heard that feels so little like Sonic makes the passion feel misguided too.

Detective Pikachu, the first time that film got seen, had a full reveal right away. Sonic the Hedgehog only gets two posters that avoids wanting to show anything, and we still know so little about it. One wants to put itself out there, the other feels scared.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Pikachu is almost 6 months ahead of Sonic's marketing schedule 

I 100% guarantee we're getting a trailer when Detective Pikachu releases. Trailers don't typically release until 6 months before the film comes out.

I'm pretty sure Paramount and Warner Bros. have had relationships before. I remember they almost collaborated, and a South Park sequel film was planned.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I 100% guarantee we're getting a trailer when Detective Pikachu releases. Trailers don't typically release until 6 months before the film comes out.

I'm pretty sure Paramount and Warner Bros. have had relationships before. I remember they almost collaborated, and a South Park sequel film was planned.

Yeah, that's why we haven't gotten a trailer yet. The movie Is literally 9 months away. We'll probably get one with Detective Pikachu. No way Paramount misses out on the video game movie hype train with the same audience as them 

I can't see them passing up SXSW. Probably not a trailer, but my guess is we'll at least see the full design reveal there.

5 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

For whatever controversies exist around the two, this isn't even something we can compare. It very apparent from what we've seen that right from the start the guys behind detective Pikachu for better or worse were going to stick to the historical design of each and every Pokemon. You see it across the board. They were not interested in re-inventing the wheel or redesigning iconic characters to fit in a realistic setting. They simply worked with what they had, up-scaling textures and interpreting design intentions. Sure, its going to end up with a handful of abominations (Things like Mr. Mime and Licki-T obviously wont translate as well as a Growlithe) but at the end of the day, you can at least respect them for sticking in the series guns.

The Sonic mock-up goes in another direction. Its not a faithful recreation of a realistic Sonic, but a tear down and rebuilt model using our laws of nature and physics. Its a different philosophy. Detective Pikachu gives us "pokemon with realistic textures". Sonic gives us "what happens if anthro hedgehogs could exist in this reality". Its a different pill to swallow. And quite frankly, the former is much more palatable than the latter.

I still say that boasting more features is more important, though.  People could think the design is ugly but if they gave us a well-done teaser with Sonic running through an action sequence akin to Sonic CD's anime intro, a lot of people would still forgive it.  What is holding this movie back is that right now it doesn't seem to have much on offer to change people's minds.

5 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

This passion means nothing until we see actually something. And the fact that they're so hesitant on showing anything doesn't feel so much like passion to me. What we've heard that feels so little like Sonic makes the passion feel misguided too.

Detective Pikachu, the first time that film got seen, had a full reveal right away. Sonic the Hedgehog only gets two posters that avoids wanting to show anything, and we still know so little about it. One wants to put itself out there, the other feels scared.

4 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Pikachu is almost 6 months ahead of Sonic's marketing schedule 

I'm still not convinced that the Sonic movie's creators have nothing else to show than they already have.  The worry is that they have nothing else GOOD to show.  Still, you kind of have to wonder what the hold up is with revealing Sonic's full design.  If people already think it looks bad, then do they really have much to lose by sharing more?

15 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

So yeah, if live-action Pokemon can work, why can't Sonic?

I'm writing all of these as a total layman who only ever saw that Pokemon movie about Mew and Mewtwo where Ash got turned into stone or something and collected Pokemon pogs as a teenager when that was the biggest craze in school, but I still think my point stands:

Pokemon has always been established as these bizarre creatures + humans living in the same world. And it also has been the focus of the shows and games: the relationship between pokemons and humans. So a Pokemon movie set in a realistic setting with realistic CGI Pokemon where the character designs are pretty damn close to the designs we grew accustomed to is not that far of a stretch.
Whereas with Sonic, Sonic characters + humans has never been a focus of any game, they are getting rid of Sonic's world which every game is set in to substitute it with a realistic setting (something which almost always was a detriment to the games, i.e. Soleanna), and apparently (at least they don't really seem to be denying) they are substituting the relationship between Sonic and his friends with a Sonic + random human relationship.

So in short: a live action Pokemon seems to retain a lot of the elements that made Pokemon Pokemon, while a live action Sonic would need to throw a lot of elements that made Sonic Sonic out the window in order for it to "work".

• Thumbs Up 3