Jump to content
Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Recommended Posts

The people involved behind the scenes ARE Sonic fans. Hell, several of them have actually WORKED on Sonic games. I wish people would stop pretending that Paramount pulled these guys out of their ass as some random, out of touch Hollywood execs to work on this movie. Jeff Fowler is as passionate as you're going to get 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, definitely, my hope is that Sonic will get the same grace Transformers did with BumbleBee or Dragon Ball did with literally anything but Evolution, a sorta "Sorry the last film sucked" type of apology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DreamSaturn said:

Yeah, definitely, my hope is that Sonic will get the same grace Transformers did with BumbleBee or Dragon Ball did with literally anything but Evolution, a sorta "Sorry the last film sucked" type of apology.

I'm not convinced there's too much keeping Sega from intervening on this film's behalf, though.   The live-action/CGI format is inherently iffy, but even then I think Sega should have retained the rights to steer it more in a brand-loyal direction. Since I believe they could do this if they want, that in turn makes me think Sega just doesn't care and this film bombing might not make them start caring.  In fact, if Sega is still operating on their post-06 mindset of disowning ideas that failed while not really considering why they failed, this bombing might well make any sort of Sonic adaptation less likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I'm not convinced there's too much keeping Sega from intervening on this film's behalf, though.   The live-action/CGI format is inherently iffy, but even then I think Sega should have retained the rights to steer it more in a brand-loyal direction. Since I believe they could do this if they want, that in turn makes me think Sega just doesn't care and this film bombing might not make them start caring.  In fact, if Sega is still operating on their post-06 mindset of disowning ideas that failed while not really considering why they failed, this bombing might well make any sort of Sonic adaptation less likely.

In addition, this "apology movie" isn't a guaranteed ticket to success, for instance, the Smurf franchise went dormant after The Lost Village, despite being rid of the contemporary setting and whatnot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

The people involved behind the scenes ARE Sonic fans. Hell, several of them have actually WORKED on Sonic games. I wish people would stop pretending that Paramount pulled these guys out of their ass as some random, out of touch Hollywood execs to work on this movie. Jeff Fowler is as passionate as you're going to get 

I never said any of this. The movie is lacking what Sonic is about, what it's supposed to look and feel like, and what made any of us like it in the first place. Who it was made by changes nothing.

Regardless, if they actually were as """""passionate""""" as you say, they would have made something that wasn't buttfuck stupid and failing to grasp what Sonic is about from the word go. That they did would only be worsened by them allegedly caring about the series because it means they're somehow so incompetent or apathetic as to know what the series is supposed to be and completely ignore it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

My only fear is that if this movie does poorly, SEGA is just going to give up on the idea of a Sonic movie, like every other thing they experiment with, even when it has MASSIVE potential. The only time I've ever seen this happen was with Sonic Boom Fire & Ice and Colors.

Sadly, that's usually how it goes. They have a good idea. They execute it terribly. It fails. Then they never touch that idea again because they were under the impression that the idea itself was flawed and not their handling of it.

A Sonic movie could still work. It won't work if they set about making every horrible decision imaginable and put it out there for the world to make fun of. It'd be even worse if they did that and later wondered where they went wrong. 

Either way, doomsday comes in November. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

In addition, this "apology movie" isn't a guaranteed ticket to success, for instance, the Smurf franchise went dormant after The Lost Village, despite being rid of the contemporary setting and whatnot.

Nothing is a guaranteed ticket to success. Least of all this movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

The people involved behind the scenes ARE Sonic fans. Hell, several of them have actually WORKED on Sonic games. I wish people would stop pretending that Paramount pulled these guys out of their ass as some random, out of touch Hollywood execs to work on this movie. Jeff Fowler is as passionate as you're going to get 

 

Just because they know about Sonic and have worked on stuff such as special effects in the games, does not necessarily mean that it's going to automatically a good film though.

The Ratchet & Clank movie was made a lot of production team members who worked on the original games, and it was still pretty awful in critical reception. Not only that but the writers of the Sonic movie don't really have the best resumes. The key to making a good adaptation film is to stay true to the original roots, sure, but you to also need to EXPAND upon it. Like what Marvel does with the MCU.

 

Once again, I'm not trying to be "negative", this is just my critical analysis and opinions. But for all I know, it could be freaking awesome considering the stuff we've heard about test screenings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MrPolynomialX said:

For me, this remark killed the entire IGN interview...

vrvrvr2vrrvvrvrvr.PNG

That's kind of mixing apples and oranges.  Ted isn't supposed to be a real bear.  He isn't even supposed to be a cartoon bear.  He's supposed to be typical stuffed toy teddy bear, which they achieved without having to change anything about how those look to fit that movie.

Sonic...look, I never expect greatness from live-action/CGI hybrids, but in the past nobody making those seemed to believe character designs need to change.  CGI Scooby Doo looked very much like his cartoon counterpart.  So did CGI Rocky and Bullwinkle, though to be fair they were still cartoon characters in that movie's canon.  So did CGI Garfield and CGI Yogi Bear.  The art direction of this film isn't necessarily invalid, but since it's obviously controversial it was really stupid to make Sonic's new design the centerpiece of the ad campaign so far, and given us nothing else to cheer us up.

The way things are going right now, it feels like "realistic" might be too liberal a term to describe this movie.  Instead, I'd call it grounded.  The new Sonic design gets so many remarks because it's the only remarkable thing we know is in this movie thus far, and not necessarily in a good way.  A bad Sonic design might actually manage to be bad in a funny way, but everything else I've heard of so far sounds like it will just be boring. They'd have to be delusional to think they can throw out all of the whimsy of this brand, replace it with standard movie tropes starring standard human characters, and somehow arrive at a similar appeal to what the games had, and if they aren't delusional they're probably just lazy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this movie fails and a potential sequel is scrapped, do you think Ben will voice Sonic again? Well, you know he could voice Sonic again in future Sonic games. I doubt we will see the human characters from the movie again if that happens. They will probably be forgotten like the previous human characters like Chris and Elise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

The people involved behind the scenes ARE Sonic fans. Hell, several of them have actually WORKED on Sonic games. I wish people would stop pretending that Paramount pulled these guys out of their ass as some random, out of touch Hollywood execs to work on this movie. Jeff Fowler is as passionate as you're going to get 

 

Sadly "being a fan" and "worked on it before" doesn't really mean jack. Takashi Iizuka has worked on the franchise for more than 2 decades at this point and his direction for the franchise is absolute crap. And being a fan of the franchise doesn't mean much either, when it's clear that the fanbase is so devided on what they expect/want from Sonic. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that the people behind this movie are both talented and passionate about Sonic..sadly that doesn't amount to much if their vision they are following is crap.

I could claim I'm a talented game designer and passionate about Sonic, but if I announced I want to make a survival horror Sonic game, I'm pretty sure people would be like "WOAH, WOAH, WOAH, WHAT?!".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

If this movie fails and a potential sequel is scrapped, do you think Ben will voice Sonic again? Well, you know he could voice Sonic again in future Sonic games. I doubt we will see the human characters from the movie again if that happens. They will probably be forgotten like the previous human characters like Chris and Elise.

I mean, it's possible? The whole reason they dropped the Adventure cast for the 4Kids cast when Sonic x rolled around was "brand consistency" or whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

I mean, it's possible? The whole reason they dropped the Adventure cast for the 4Kids cast when Sonic x rolled around was "brand consistency" or whatever.

Yea, I could see that happening. So, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I never said any of this. The movie is lacking what Sonic is about, what it's supposed to look and feel like, and what made any of us like it in the first place. Who it was made by changes nothing.

Regardless, if they actually were as """""passionate""""" as you say, they would have made something that wasn't buttfuck stupid and failing to grasp what Sonic is about from the word go. That they did would only be worsened by them allegedly caring about the series because it means they're somehow so incompetent or apathetic as to know what the series is supposed to be and completely ignore it anyway.

Sonic is about nature vs technology, animal vs human, Sonic vs Eggman. That's what the first game was about. The Adventure series is about Sonic in the human world.

The thing about the movie that will decide whether is good or bad is if it actually focuses on Sonic, and what it is about, the themes, and so far interviews said that it was important for them that Sonic was the protagonist, and the first thing (and only) we see about the movie is a Sonic silhouette, so I don't see why Sonic would not be the focus. Then there is Tom and his wife, the other characters the movie focuses on besides Sonic and Robotnik, now, if those 2 are boring, unnecessary, annoying and dull, that may be enough to ruin the movie, well... they can't be possible more boring than Tim from Detective Pikachu, can they? The reason I hated Chris, Elise and Sally is that they were basically the stars of their story while Sonic was a sidekick, this is highly annoying, so I hope it's not the case here. Chris in particular was very spoiled and annoying, I hope Tom is an improvement, the fact that he is an adult sarcastic cop makes me curious... anyway he needs to be the actual sidekick and not the protagonist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if I’m being an idiot or not, but wasn’t some kind of movie-related design for Eggman already kinda revealed through someone connected to the movie last year? I remember this image being in a tweet (Wish I could remember who, but pretty certain it was from someone involved with the movie) in 2018 that referenced Carrey’s role as Eggman. I’d thought it was official but have always been puzzled as to why few of us have referenced it much since.

1026705163_Eggmanart.jpg.2399103d7e4642354e69bc4003b2f2c7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gotta Go Rational said:

Not sure if I’m being an idiot or not, but wasn’t some kind of movie-related design for Eggman already kinda revealed through someone connected to the movie last year? I remember this image being in a tweet (Wish I could remember who, but pretty certain it was from someone involved with the movie) in 2018 that referenced Carrey’s role as Eggman. I’d thought it was official but have always been puzzled as to why few of us have referenced it much since.

1026705163_Eggmanart.jpg.2399103d7e4642354e69bc4003b2f2c7.jpg

Oh, it’s from this guy. He is the storyboard artist.:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.