Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

13 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

I think if the JK was there from the start, me or Fan J (who made our posts at the same time, I assume J started theirs in advance of mine given how long it is) probably would've caught it. That said I imagine a mod has access to the edit history to determine whether I earn an L on this one. 

That said, given the way in which he's gone about decrying people annoyed at both this and TSR I don't exactly buy that the "JK!" is sincere in the first place.

I can't joke, guys XD

I already said that I understand people's attitude about recent Sonic stuff. I'm not attacking anyone for being negative, believe it or not but I try my best to stay nice, even though negativity makes me stress, if the movie is truly bad I'm just gonna leave the forum and leave you guys alone, there is no point in defending what's bad but I'd rather leave than stay in the negativity which I can't handle. It's not healthy for me, I have enough problems. I'm also no longer defending TSR as you can see. I'm just hoping the movie is good.

Sorry for OT. I wanted to clarify my stance. At this point I would not mind if the thread got locked again since we just keep arguing.

Lol this topic is fucking mess! Bizarre speculation and hate when literally all we have to go on are two teaser posters, an IGN article and some set photos of Green Hills. Isn't this a road trip movie? Meaning that presumably Green Hills makes up a tiny part of it? Most sets for this seem to be kept very secretive. I mean... Let's be honest none of us know anything about it really. We have literally seen basically nothing yet. All we do know is that it has a fantastic cast and crew with a proven track record (albeit an inexperienced director).

No reason to hate yet!

In fact, maybe even 'Hunk Sonic' might not look too weird in the movie. If you look at what they're presumably using for an eyeline when talking him in the set photos he's friggin' tiny (the kinda height you would expect him to be).

I think we will have to lower our expectations once the trailer is released. The movie is probably not going to be like what we wanted to be. So, it’s better not to get our hopes up and ended up getting disappointed.

1 minute ago, Tornado said:

Let's rephrase this a bit. People don't need a huge set in stone reason to be optimistic about something they want to see. People do need a better defined reason to shout anything down, be it pessimism or optimism.

Yeah, that was more my point - I think some kind of optimism is fine (even with my own thoughts on the movie so far), but if there's room for optimism based on what we know, there's absolutely room for pessimism based on the same information.

15 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

No reason to hate yet!

The closest thing we got to a Sonic 'movie' so far was that 1996 2 episode Sonic OVA (or Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie) and while I'm not particularly a big fan of that, so far nothing about this new movie suggests it'll surpass that 1996 output in any aspect, let alone overall as a movie.

At least OVA had an animation style that matched the games, Sonic's supporting cast was present and weren't 100% useless as they were involved in some action, said action beats were pretty cool that took advantage of the character's abilities, and there was some chemistry between the characters (even if not the best), and Sonic actually faced quite a challenge towards the end against Metal Sonic. He got pushed to the limit and got quite beaten up.

Although very little is revealed about the new movie, the very little we know doesn't make me feel like it'll surpass or even match what OVA had to offer some 20+ years ago.

So, as I'm still trying to keep an open mind about the movie I wanted to ask what are the strengths that you find in what we know about the movie, either officially released information or due to loose lips. So for example;

We know Sonic and Tom are each in need of a friend for some reason or another and while I feel Sonic needing a friend feels more like it's drawing inspiration from pre-reboot Archie more so than anything what strengths do you feel that this plot element brings to the movie? What about the US government of things being an antagonist in the movie and the whole a small town coming together to help the sheriff routine. What do you feel is the strength to these elements and how the character Sonic benefits from them? 

I think Ben Schwartz Sonic and Carrey's Robotnik performances will be pretty good if nothing else. 

Just listened to some of Ben's voice work and he seems pretty suitable for Sonic.

I think we probably finally going to get the trailer at SXSW next week. Some people think that the trailer is going to be released yesterday, because of the Black Knight render seen in this one. Black Knight was released on that date in the US.

The official SXSW Gaming Twitter account posted these a while ago.:

They could be probably trolling, and probably could ended up revealing the trailer there.

Anyway, I wasn’t holding my breath for the trailer to be released yesterday.

4 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

So, as I'm still trying to keep an open mind about the movie I wanted to ask what are the strengths that you find in what we know about the movie, either officially released information or due to loose lips. So for example;

We know Sonic and Tom are each in need of a friend for some reason or another and while I feel Sonic needing a friend feels more like it's drawing inspiration from pre-reboot Archie more so than anything what strengths do you feel that this plot element brings to the movie? What about the US government of things being an antagonist in the movie and the whole a small town coming together to help the sheriff routine. What do you feel is the strength to these elements and how the character Sonic benefits from them? 

Me? I think the Government story not only opens the door for great action sequences but also great character moments for Sonic. The Tom thing again, opens the door for character development for Sonic and Tom. The potential is there 

Honestly, after months of speculation and mock-ups based on the teaser poster, I can't say it's the worst thing I've ever seen. They did the "white fur between the eyes" thing, so... that's neat.