Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Looks like Ken Penders had a hand in designing this. =P 

I guess it’s not AS bad as I thought it would be, the head seems okay generally. But the legs, the body...THE WHITE GLOVELESS HANDS. Does this mean Tails,  Amy etc. also have white hands? What about Knuckles?? So stupid.

In fact, this is the EXACT SAME DESIGN AS THE LEAKED POSTER! Right down to the white fur in between the eyes.

1192462459_whitefur.jpg.42f0a8adcce1c2475b306df96dfd37c8.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

Banner-SonicPosterLeak2.jpg

I didn't mind this one honestly. Maybe he still looks like this in the actual film? The style guide's head looks a lot bigger though, longer "fur spines" too. And shorter legs without the muscles.

Gloves? Give him golf gloves. They don't have to be giant poofy things. 

This design just isn't good. It's not going to make me sick or something, but they could have done a lot better (and looks like they did at one point).

That's.. Basically what they went with.  The face looks EXACTLY like that. They clearly didn't stray too far from the original design. Sonic still looks cute but now he has a bit of an edge to him. 

Sonic is so far from another world, they apparently had to make him look like an Earthly creature. Because...that makes sense, apparently?

(it doesn't.)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Honestly its not that bad now that things are looking more official. I hate how little we know of this movie. But if this is the real real design and yes i know i said real twice then I for one would happily go see t he movie opening night. What we need is a trailer. Will eggman be a real threat or will we get a more series storyline like say Detective pika.

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

He's not suppose to be a cartoon in this movie. He's an alien/extraterrestrial not from our world. Why would he look like he came out of the TV set of a video game? Look at this movie from the logic of what Sonic is in the story. He's not "coming into our world" from a video game. The game design would make no biological sense and stand out like he doesn't belong.

This was inevitable. I've been predicting this for 5 years now 

That statement is kinda contradictory. He's an alien not from our world. The game design would make no biological sense and stand out like he doesn't belong. Aliens stand out and don't fit in on Earth. The universe is vast and infinite, why does every creature have to look as if it fits in amongst humans?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

In fact, this is the EXACT SAME DESIGN AS THE LEAKED POSTER! Right down to the white fur in between the eyes.

1192462459_whitefur.jpg.42f0a8adcce1c2475b306df96dfd37c8.jpg

Yup. You can even see the nostrils. 

1 minute ago, Celestia said:

.....But if he's coming from another world, why would him not looking like he belongs be a bad thing?

Because he'd look like a CGI model that does not physically belong in the same environment as the people he's interacting with. Any alien that exists in our universe still has to abide by the laws of biology, evolution and natural anatomy. No creature would evolve to look like Play-Doh in the real world 

It's pretty standard, but off, I can't exactly say what is wrong with it, they clearly gave him the 06 and Smash poses as a tribute (cool), but...? Can't say, maybe it's growing on me already though.

The most shocking thing, I think, is that they got the half-mouth thing spot on! How is one pupil and issue but a mouth that slides around his face acceptable? Lol

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 2

7 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

He's not suppose to be a cartoon in this movie. He's an alien/extraterrestrial not from our world. Why would he look like he came out of the TV set of a video game? Look at this movie from the logic of what Sonic is in the story. He's not "coming into our world" from a video game. The game design would make no biological sense and stand out like he doesn't belong.

This was inevitable. I've been predicting this for 5 years now 

How dare we want a movie with Sonic looking like a video game character because he's a video game character 

• Thumbs Up 9

Just now, PeterPancake said:

Because he'd look like a CGI model that does not physically belong in the same environment as the people he's interacting with. Any alien that exists in our universe still has to abide by the laws of biology, evolution and natural anatomy. No creature would evolve to look like Play-Doh in the real world 

And aliens from another world would look like they belong in the same plane as humans? That's

kinda dumb

• Thumbs Up 2

Well that's....eh?

I mean, it's not *as* bad as some of the fan designs shown before, but ehhh that's still not very appealing to me. There's pretty blatant design changes for the hell of it that doesn't make sense context-wise (Gloves aren't realistic but Nike-like runners are I guess??). There's half-measures taken that almost feels like they realised that no one liked the original design, so they desperately tried something, anything to improve it ASAP, even if it's minor (White fur in places for his eye and gloves). Really all these half-measures just look...wrong to me, for lack of a better term.

It's not only boring, but it invokes a heavy dosing of uncanny valley to me, confirming what people said for the longest time - this design does not translate well into live-action, stop forcing the issue. 

On top of that, the image still looks slightly animated to me, so I'll be very curious to see how this changes when he's integrated into the movie proper. It vaguely looks like Sonic, but it looks like you took his design and blended it horrifically realistic into some kind of creepy half-measure of realisim and stylised. It isn't the worst thing possibly, but it is kind of horrible, especially when weighted up against the overall simpler, sleeker design of Sonic.

There's something kind of simplistically nice in Sonic's original design, and here they've had to alter it to try account for the realism, and going too far for it. Why does he need a realistic nose? Why does he need white fur in random places that completely stick out from Sonic's actual colour scheme? (I'll tell you what, he sure was lucky the white fur only appears at his eyes and hands where it happens to look in place). His eyes have this weird kind of doll like design that doesn't fit at all with the more realistic proportions they've taken. His shoes are fifty times more detailed now, as is practically every detail around Sonic as a whole. It comes off as a bit too busy to achieve what ultimately the original design had in the first place.

The best way I can describe it is it looks like Sonic, but everything, just about everything looks off in some way shape or form.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 minute ago, Osmium said:

How dare we want a movie with a protagonist who looks like a video game character because he's a video game character 

Point is. It's not a game, it's a movie and not animated.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

It's more Realistic and Grounded™ this way though. We need realism in a movie about a talking blue hedgehog that goes fast.

I know this will always be the response to any defense of the design they went with as well as the logic they're using.

But it will always the correct response.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

That statement is kinda contradictory. He's an alien not from our world. The game design would make no biological sense and stand out like he doesn't belong. Aliens stand out and don't fit in on Earth. The universe is vast and infinite, why does every creature have to look as if it fits in amongst humans?

It's not about him lookin like an animal on Earth. Sonic as presented in this movie looks nothing like any animal known on Earth. But there's a reason why ET did not look like a cartoon plastered into the real world. We're talking about the difference between a creature that is believably real and something that looks like it belongs in another plane of existence where everything is animated 

But there's live-action movies with extremely cartoony CGI characters already??? There's no reason you couldn't just... drop a tweaked Modern design in the real world and call him a weird alien experiment or something

• Thumbs Up 2

Haha, they recreated some poses from CG renders, but they look super awkward here because of the more human proportions.

Also, these seem to be the art from like toy boxes and stuff, so don't expect him to look 1:1 like this in the movie. I think that old concept poster we got is closer.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Point is. It's not a game, it's a movie and not animated.

That's a stupid point. People want a movie with the design they've bonded with for the past few decades, not some distorted abomination. 

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

It's not about him lookin like an animal on Earth. Sonic as presented in this movie looks nothing like any animal known on Earth. But there's a reason why ET did not look like a cartoon plastered into the real world. We're talking about the difference between a creature that is believably real and something that looks like it belongs in another plane of existence where everything is animated 

"Sonic is from another world. Make him look believably real on Earth."

• Thumbs Up 3