Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Even if they truly, genuinely had to make a "realistic" Sonic is this really the best they could do.

• Thumbs Up 8

...so what's going to happen if they show this off at SXSW this month?

Also, if nothing else I still have that logo.

6 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

It's not about him lookin like an animal on Earth. Sonic as presented in this movie looks nothing like any animal known on Earth. But there's a reason why ET did not look like a cartoon plastered into the real world. We're talking about the difference between a creature that is believably real and something that looks like it belongs in another plane of existence where everything is animated 

The problem is.... even with this redesign, he still doesn't look particularly realistic; he's very much like a mascot or furry.

They could have avoided this issue entirely if they'd literally made him hail from a different plane of existence, bearing in mind that Sonic crossing over from another dimension has already featured in other Sonic media and the setting even routinely revolves around a number of reality warping gems. If it's part of the plot that he's supposed to be a somewhat fantastic being, his cartoonishness wouldn't damage suspension of disbelief too much (see Detective Pikachu as an example).

If they'd taken the movie design's head (possibly reducing the slight chubbiness) and given him a more game proportioned body, I suspect people would have reacted better to the design.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here comes Over-stuffed, Ugandan Sonic, ready to store nuts for the Winter in his bulbous, hideous tumor cheeks and terrify children the world over.

It'll be interesting seeing this dead-eyed corpse shuffle its rigermortis ass across my phone screen when I watch the trailer.

Sure as hell won't see it on the big screen.

• Chuckle 1

Just now, GentlemanX said:

...so what's going to happen if they show this off at SXSW this month?

Grab yourself a big ol' bucket of popcorn and enjoy the show. 

5 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

The fact that you have to go to these kinds of lengths in order to try and excuse what they're doing, and that even you admit to not fully understanding why, should be pretty telling in of itself.

Well, it is what it is. I'm happy with it. At least it didn't look like a literal Hedgehog head. He's still recognizable as Sonic. He doesn't look like an abomination 

It's pretty much what I expected, I'm not wowing or anything. Not bad though, I'd say reasonable.

... This can apply to both the design and fan reaction, kind of what I was expecting, some people will never be happy and accept the changes. It's predictable.

• Thumbs Up 1

I truly do not understand what's so unrealistic about gloves. Did people stop wearing them recently?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

1 minute ago, Jack the Shadow said:

... This can apply to both the design and fan reaction, kind of what I was expecting, some people will never be happy and accept the changes. It's predictable.

No, people won't accept pointless and downright awful changes. Get it right if you're gonna attempt more snark. 

• Thumbs Up 8

some people will never be happy and accept the changes

Can we not pull this to try and write off criticism?

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Diogenes said:

Even if they truly, genuinely had to make a "realistic" Sonic is this really the best they could do.

stop and think about how lit this movie would be if it was about a big ass realistic neon colored animals in jordans wrecking balling all of the technology and shit. taking out the grid and cutting off the electricity. destroying all the power plants and oil rigs and shit. the works. modern society falls

but they're actually misunderstood. they just want to save the planet. the real evil was capitalism.

sell it as a psychological horror. run it by A24 and we'll be in business.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Promotion 1

Just now, DreamSaturn said:

I truly do not understand what's so unrealistic about gloves. Did people stop wearing them recently?

Gloves AND socks are unrealistic. Can't have our talking blue hedgehog who runs at the speed of sound wearing mythical clothing items such as those.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 5
  • My Emmerdoods 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Well, it is what it is. I'm happy with it. 

If you are really just then and done happy with it, why do you have to justify it to us so much and then say that we're all unpleasable? Just be happy it's what you want and move on. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Jack the Shadow said:

It's pretty much what I expected, I'm not wowing or anything. Not bad though, I'd say reasonable.

Exactly. It's pretty much just a tweaked version of the design that leaked. 

Some people wouldn't have been happy if they literally ripped the Unleashed model and put it onscreen. I know that doesn't apply to everybody but that's genuinely the only thing that would have made the fanbase happy. Creative discretion be damned.

Just now, Tracker_TD said:

No, people won't accept pointless and downright awful changes. Get it right. 

You knew it was gonna change, though? It doesn't meet expectations but I thought you guys were expecting a really bad design.

Why would people appreciate every single thing that's done just for the hell of it? That's how we get more bad and mediocre products. People aren't going to be happy with things they don't like. Fancy that!

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

stop and think about how lit this movie would be if it was about a big ass realistic neon colored animals in jordans wrecking balling all of the technology and shit. taking out the grid and cutting off the electricity. destroying all the power plants and oil rigs and shit. the works. modern society falls

but they're actually misunderstood. they just want to save the planet. the real evil was capitalism.

sell it as a psychological horror. run it by A24 and we'll be in business.

This would probably end up being more interesting. If you're going more "realistic" with a franchise like Sanic just go all out instead of this hybrid shit.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

You know, you could actually try giving a counter-argument, or explaining why you personally like the design instead of immediately hopping on the "no one likes change, everyone will hate it no matter what" boat.

You knew it was gonna change, though? It doesn't meet expectations but I thought you guys were expecting a really bad design.

No one's complaining about the design changing, people are complaining and explicitly stating why they dislike the design, and going into detail into various details they do not like regarding it. Not to mention the only complaint that has come near what you've stated is the very legitimate complaint that live action wasn't a good idea whatsoever and it should've been animated from the beginning.

• Thumbs Up 3

Haha! Also, why does he look like he ran through Willy Wonka's taffy puller? His poor organs.

When he runs does his torso wobble like a snake?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

You know, you could actually try giving a counter-argument, or explaining why you personally like the design instead of immediately hopping on the "no one likes change, everyone will hate it no matter what" boat.

No one's complaining about the design changing, people are complaining and explicitly stating why they dislike the design, and going into detail into various details they do not like regarding it. Not to mention the only complaint that has come near what you've stated is the very legitimate complaint that live action wasn't a good idea whatsoever and it should've been animated from the beginning.

That's not a very good argument either. I don't find it so different, just boring.