Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

2 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

In what universe has anyone ever said, "This looks absolutely awful and hideous. Yeah, I'll give it a chance!"

2 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

The only people I can see reacting well to this are young children who will pay for anything with Sonic's name on it. Other norm... non-fans, we'll say, will almost certainly laugh at this. I don't care what the logic was on the business end of things, this looks super dumb. At best they'll pay to see it ironically.

It'll probably bomb and have a 23% RT score.

The same universe where TMNT 2014 made 400+ million dollars at the box-office despite the massive backlash against the designs. The same universe where TF was a billion dollar franchise despite the backlash to the design.

Fan backlash and what the GA will and won't see do not overlap. If anything, it may the opposite effect that you want it to. The hate and complaints being loud enough could draw them to the movie.

Also, you not liking the design does not equal being bad. It's grating to constantly see the false assumption that any critic or casual fan will judge the same way it is being judged now.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Look, man, I don't know. Yes, yes it would. But they didn't go that route and the best thing to do now is to hope for the best. I'm kinda getting ganged up on here. Don't take your anger on me, guys. I'm just the messenger 

Feel free to take a breather. Diogenes, Indigo Rush, Tracker etc are like the SEAL Team 6 of shitting on Sonic

They can do this for hours. Trust me

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Promotion 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

5 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Look, man, I don't know. Yes, yes it would. But they didn't go that route and the best thing to do now is to hope for the best. I'm kinda getting ganged up on here. Don't take your anger on me, guys. I'm just the messenger 

@5:10 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

The same universe where TMNT 2014 made 400+ million

TMNT as a franchise was already successful and well loved so it was a no brainer it’d make bank. Sonic doesn’t have that reputation and doesn’t as a franchise bring in nearly the same numbers

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, PeterPancake said:

The same universe where TMNT 2014 made 400+ million dollars at the box-office despite the massive backlash against the designs. The same universe where TF was a billion dollar franchise despite the backlash to the design.

And the subsequent release of TMNT saw such low returns that the sequel was completely shitcanned.

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

Fan backlash and what the GA will and won't see do not overlap. If anything, it may the opposite effect that you want it to. The hate and complaints being loud enough could draw them to the movie.

That's bullshit and you know that. One of the most universally criticized aspects of TMNT 2014, the example you brought up, was that the CGI was ass ugly.

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Also, you not liking the design does not equal being bad. It's grating to constantly see the false assumption that any critic or casual fan will judge the same way it is being judged now.

Conversely, you liking the design does not equal being good.

• Thumbs Up 8

3 minutes ago, Osmium said:

@5:10 

This is the second time I've had to tell someone not to make a macro post. Knock it off. If I have to step in to say this again I'm going to be issuing strikes.

• Thumbs Up 8

I wish we had a Sonic Mania Adventures style film instead. Get all the money they are putting into this dreadful film, and make an animation film. You have this great foundation (a really popular and acclaimed youtube short series) and then you make Sonic into a horrible gremlin instead.

SEGA doesn't care about quality and they've always treated Sonic like a whore ever since the 90s. Just dishing him out to as many people as humanly possible to make as much short term profit as possible. And most of the times, like right now, they've done so incompetently and wrong sighted as well.

I wish Sonic could go to a company which would treat him with respect. We could consistently have great games and not have to feel embarrassed when calling ourselves Sonic fans in public.

• Thumbs Up 4

28 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

The people mocking and making fun of it are all still going to see this movie . 

If this was a few years ago I would of said yeah I'd still see it but I've been burned out by this series too many times that whenever something doesn't look interesting to me I'm not spending my hard earn money. I'm good. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I kinda get the feeling companies just take the filmmakers' takes at face value because "well we don't make films, they must know what they're doing." With how many live action adaptations we get that are like this I can't say I'm fussed at SEGA about it.

• Thumbs Up 7

You know... something about that design just isn't REALISTIC enough.... but I can't quite... OH I KNOW!

1CShaBh.png

I fixed it! After all... A live action Sonic movie MUST be grounded in reality and realism or nobody can take it seriously right?~

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 3

1 minute ago, Dejimon11 said:

If this was a few years ago I would of said yeah I'd still see it but I've been burned out by this series too many times that whenever something doesn't look interesting to me I'm not spending my hard earn money. I'm good. 

Dude you know me. I'm overly positive about this franchise. The fact that even I think this looks awful says the world I think.

With the movie being it's own pillar I guess it's safe to say that there will be a tie-in game for this Christmas season.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

10 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

And the subsequent release of TMNT saw such low returns that the sequel was completely shitcanned.

That was the sequel. The first movie was a smash hit successs. Paramount was planning on doing 3. The actors signed for 3 movies.  

That's bullshit and you know that. One of the most universally criticized aspects of TMNT 2014, the example you brought up, was that the CGI was ass ugly.

That doesn't neccesarily refute my point. Regardless of how hated the designs and CG was, people still came out to see the movie in droves. And it wasn't because "The turtles already had a successful franchise" it was because of NOSTALGIA. That's what these Studios bank on. Sonic is as recognizable as the Turtles in pop culture. Unlike the games which have a very specific audience, this movie is aimed at a MUCH wider demographic. People who stopped playing Somic 10-20 years ago, kids and teenagers  etc. You can't compare the "past failures" of the Sonic franchise to this movie because this movie has a very different audience and haredcores are not the main target 

Conversely, you liking the design does not equal being good.

Except I'm not here saying this movie will be the second coming of Jesus Christ. I'm merely HOPING it will be good. I'm being optimistic. Whereas others are actively making declarative statements about this movie bombing critically and financially based on nothing more than their dislike of the creative choices. That's not how box office nor critical reception works. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The film game will probably be awful too, let's be honest.

Once we had Sonic 2, and now we have Sonic Gremlin: the Videogame.

4 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Least it wasn’t this guys

I mean the designs still shit but...*shudders*

A big strong Sonic that could keep me safe sounds..pretty alright. Sounds alright

Throw in an Elise subplot and get that Bumblebee money

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Way Past Cool 2

2 minutes ago, Patron said:

With the movie being it's own pillar I guess it's safe to say that there will be a tie-in game for this Christmas season.

A Game and a comic Tie-In of some kind I'm betting. I do kinda hope the "Animation" part is some continuation of Boom. Maybe not season 3 but something in that universe. 

This might be bad of me, but I don't completely hate it. Honestly, I expected a little worse. Maybe that's why I'm okay with it.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not over the moon.

Come on, what's the point of giving him white hands?? Just give him gloves. And socks!

His iris/pupils are a bit too big, and I think his eyes could stand to be bigger. They just look too crowded.

Plus, if they were gonna put the white fur between his eyes, why not just give him the mono-eye?

I feel like Sonic should be a deeper blue.

And I gotta say, I think it's hilarious that (in my opinion) he looks better from the front than the 3/4ths view, which feels like Sonic's most iconic angle. It's probably the lighting and expressions, because here he looks a bit self-assured and even kind of adorable. (says the girl who found a toothless rat-dog cute)

You know the people doing the Pokemon for Detective Pikachu? I have a feeling I'd prefer their hypothetical take over this. Because even if I don't hate this and can even find some charm, Detective Pikachu's staff would stay loyal to his design in an interesting way, like they've done for the other Pokemon so far. Even their own little touches were endearing, like Pikachu's teddy bear fluff and puppy eyes.

So like, again, I don't hate this and even like some things about it. But even I can see there's problems with how this looks overall. If it had to be done, it could have been better.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Patron said:

Sounds great. Sega are banking on this movie's success and branching the brand out. Much like Hasbro did post-Bayformers

• Thumbs Up 2

I actually kinda predicted it?

Spoiler

free_lunch_by_kitsuoi_dcxa8zw-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9OTYwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZGFjOGUxZmEtMDlkYi00MTU4LWFjZjEtODJjNTUxMDhmMWQzXC9kY3hhOHp3LWJkZjU4Nzc5LWU5MjQtNGM3MC1hN2NlLWEyYzIzOWEzZmJmNS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.Lx2sSiO75o48qEu5Q5lrlYcGLBePphNdyM5kEtmosYI

sonic_s_official_movie_design_by_dimensions101_dd1azpv-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NDYwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvYTVhMDM1MGEtODU4Ni00MTUzLTk0ZjEtZGQzY2FlNzJhZGI2XC9kZDFhenB2LTEwMDY0MzBlLTJlZGMtNDM3Zi1iYjgxLWE3NTE4YjAxZmJlNC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9NjAwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.2yj75p-_iK0J3VFpkyTb6G61GNX3c_xKMyqZ8XxgHFg

5 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

That was the sequel. The first movie was a smash hit successs. Paramount was planning on doing 3. The actors signed for 3 movies.  

There isn't probably going to be a 3rd movie. They are going to do a reboot instead.

https://www.slashfilm.com/ninja-turtles-reboot/

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Lego Sonic is a really great example of making Sonic work in a style you wouldn't imagine would be possible:

Image result for lego sonic

I mean, it seems difficult making Lego Sonic feel both like Sonic and authentic as a lego figurine at the same time. He doesn't look like a human (the core lego design) and you might wonder how you could get his signature spikes to work on a lego figurine without veering into doll territory. Yet LEGO pulled it off because:

- LEGO has quality standards.

- They didn't completely veer away from what made Sonic a cultural icon. No needless making him look 'realistic' or changing his shoes into generic looking trainers. You look at him and you instantly think Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 6