Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 minute ago, Razule said:

The head still makes him look like he came out of a Disney movie, so not that grounded. Perhaps that head alone could work as a "realistic-ish" version if the body wasn't literally a human man's. But maybe Disney would have the common sense to not think a live action movie is the right vision for a movie with ambitions to make Sonic a "big name" again..

Why does it have to be a trade-off though..

The head is fine. What else could it have looked like? And we haven't seen his face move. It's probably set that way so Sonic can have a very expressive face. That's why Schwartz was doing mocap for him. Guarantee it looks better in action and in the context of the movie 

I said this before, but the new design isn't going to look any less out of place than a realistically textured game design would. Because, guess what? It's going to be CG regardless. He'll look just as fake next to Tom as he would with the damn noodle arms; it doesn't really look any more realistic. People would be able to suspend their disbelief just as easily with the game design. Hell, if anything, it's just going to take people out even more, because it doesn't look like Sonic normally does. There was, and will continue to be, 0 reasons why they couldn't have just used the game design.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Razule said:

The head still makes him look like he came out of a Disney movie, so not that grounded. Perhaps that head alone could work as a "realistic-ish" version if the body wasn't literally a human man's. But maybe Disney would have the common sense to not think a live action movie is the right vision for a movie with ambitions to make Sonic a "big name" again..

Why does it have to be a trade-off though..

And if he randomly has Nike sneakers even though he comes from another world, then that's pretty unrealistic. Who knows, maybe we'll see barefeet Sonic running around for a while. Or maybe there's a Sonic world version of Nike who Sonic bought his shoes from. And then, why couldn't he, say, also buy some Nike gloves..?

Hide contents

Related image

I mean this is the first shot. Maybe he tries to grab on to something in the real world that hurts his wee paws and they go and buy him said gloves above. product placement at its best.

27 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

It does not work with the grounded, Sci-Fi approach they're taking with Sonic. It's not as simple as "Why didn't they use the game dezign". Think about what fits THEIR vision for the movie 

The fact the question they are asking themself is 'how can we make Sonic fit our vision?' instead of 'what vision fits Sonic?' should probably set off alarms already if you ask me.

• Thumbs Up 6

I DO wonder if he's gonna eventually get gloves and even different shoes as the movie progresses. I could definitely see that happening.

• Thumbs Up 3

This movie is going to bring us EPIC memes for years to come once its released.

It looks decent. I've seen an edit that I prefer, but I don't particularly dislike this official version.

I'd like to see it in motion, so hopefully we won't have to wait too long until a trailer drops.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

22 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Hiya.

People who have spoken out against or said the movie Sonic design isn't very good

Yuji Naka - Co-Creator of Sonic. (multiple tweets)

Naoto Oshima - Co-Creator of Sonic (multiple tweets)

Shiro Maekawa - Sonic Adventure & Supervisor of Sonic X Scripts (Multiple tweets)

Gurihiru-san - Character designer & illustrator for Sonic Unleashed (tweet)

Nakamura_Shun - Producer at Sonic Team/Sega of Japan (Tweet)

Hirokazu Yasuhara - Sonic 1 level designer, also done work for Naughty Dog (tweet)

Jun'ichi Kanemaru - Sonic's voice actor in Japan, 1998 - Present day. (Tweet)

Kate Burning - Former Sega of America Community Team (tweet)

Former Sega Community Manager --- Based on the tweets they have been 'liking'

EB Games Australia - Major Video game Retailer for Australia (tweet)

Multiple videogame publications including GameXplain & Polygon 

People who have spoken out in favour of the design.

Ken Penders - Attention seeker (tweet)

3 fans. <--- I couldn't find anymore who didn't have some problem with it.

"oh ok" doesn't mean negative. Stop with the fake news to suit your narrative. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Myst said:

This movie is going to bring us EPIC memes for years to come once its released.

I'll be disappointed if SEGA won't sell Sonic the memehog merch in the near future.

2 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

It looks decent. I've seen an edit that I prefer, but I don't particularly dislike this official version.

I'd like to see it in motion, so hopefully we won't have to wait too long until a trailer drops.

Yeah, I'm hoping a trailer drops REAL soon.

Static images are fine and all, but I think what'll REALLY make or break it for a lot of people is seeing the actual design in action AND with a voice.

5 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

"oh ok" doesn't mean negative. Stop with the fake news to suit your narrative. 

That's not exactly positive.

16 minutes ago, Nicky Nicardo said:

I DO wonder if he's gonna eventually get gloves and even different shoes as the movie progresses. I could definitely see that happening.

Considering that his hands are already white in color I kinda doubt that change to gloves is going to happen.

Just now, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

Considering that his hands are already white in color I kinda doubt that change to gloves is going to happen.

-shrugs- I dunno. Even if it doesn't happen, the white hands are fine with me.

Just wanted to post this to the people that think this "doesn't look as bad as I thought":

The render was made by God of War (PS4) art director, and the poster montage was made by BossLogic.

Just compare this with the design Paramount came up with. It's exactly same idea, but miles better executed, even if turning Sonic realistic by adding fur and textures still isn't the best idea, at least Rafael's design is not offensive and respects the source material. And BossLogic's idea for a poster mimicking a Master Syster cover art is simple, yet so genius.

• Thumbs Up 2

I mean if you want a more aggressive looking sonic bordering werehog then yes it does look better.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Jango said:

Just wanted to post this to the people that think this "doesn't look as bad as I thought":

The render was made by God of War (PS4)'s art director, and the poster was made by BossLogic.

Just compare this with the design Paramount came up with. It's exactly same idea, but miles better executed, even if turning Sonic realistic by adding fur and textures still isn't the best idea, at least Rafael's design is not ofensive and respects the source material. And BossLogic's idea for a poster mimicking a Master Syster cover art is simple, yet so genius.

I disagree. I think that particular design looks a LOT more off-putting. It's the mouth that really does it in for me.

And I still think the branding guide pictures look quite cute and appealing, moreso than the 3D render.

9 minutes ago, Jango said:

Just compare this with the design Paramount came up with. It's exactly same idea, but miles better executed, even if turning Sonic realistic by adding fur and textures still isn't the best idea, at least Rafael's design is not offensive and respects the source material. And BossLogic's idea for a poster mimicking a Master Syster cover art is simple, yet so genius.

I guess it's technically better designed, but I can't imagine the reaction would be much different if that was what we got. Still cartoony head on a man.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ian Flynn --- Archie Sonic Comic Writer, IDW Sonic Comic writer. 

You know I get the feeling he's not a fan either.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess I'll be watching this anyway. Not because I want to, but my nephews will demand to see it. Kids... 

2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Ian Flynn --- Archie Sonic Comic Writer, IDW Sonic Comic writer. 

You know I get the feeling he's not a fan either.

Fake news, man. He didn't outright say that in those exact words. Clearly, he's just excited to see Amy's design. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Razule said:

Fake news, man. He didn't outright say that in those exact words. Clearly, he's just excited to see Amy's design. 

I don't think he likes it.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Jango said:

The render was made by God of War (PS4) art director, and the poster montage was made by BossLogic.

...Not sure if serious? Y'all are complaining about him looking like a guy in a suit... But this is LITERALLY that. This render literally looks like a body builder wearing a fur suit. I actually hate this design. 

I just.. I can't. If this is what constitutes their idea "done right" I don't even...