Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Nintendo has the world's most popular video game franchises under its belt, and it's weird for Sony's cinema empire to not include them.

Sony releasing Nintendo movies would be kind of weird, considering...well, everything.

On top of that, as you said, Nintendo isn't really that open to adaptations. The exceptions either date back to older times (DiC Mario cartoons, Donkey Kong Country, etc.) or Pokemon that has, like, a billion manga series--smaller ones for specific games and long-runnes--and the anime + specials. It would be interesting to see them change their attitude on this, but no matter what I can't really see big Hollywood movies being a thing for Nintendo franchises. Not anytime soon, anyway.

So, I have a question. How much input does Sega have on the making of this?

That's a complicated question because there are so many components to Sega. Sega-Sammy, Sega of Japan, Sonic Team, Marza. But the best way I can answer is to say they are involved in a very helpful way. Also I am very excited for Marza's work on the film. I got a chance to tour their offices in Tokyo earlier this month and talk with lots of their artists. It was great.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think a more important question is this:

Will this be following the "Boom" Sonic universe, or the traditional "SEGA" Sonic universe?

We definitely appreciate you answering our questions, by the way!

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't doubt Mr. Robichaux will do the best script he can, but in the end I'm sorry, still expect this to be crappy nonsense- this kind of movie will be flooded with producers going "but it must have the dance number to appeal to the masses" "but where's the human character for kids to relate to", not to mention what director they get, etc.

Ah, that's basically all I wanted to know at the moment, thanks.

It isn't going to be based off of Sonic Boom. 

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your job! It must be pretty exciting to work on the dang Sonic movie. I think I may even be a bit jealous! biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 2

None of the producers or studio executives involved the project have said anything like that to me ever. One of the main reasons I was hired for the project was because they wanted someone young, who is a true fan of the character and games. If that doesn't speak to their intentions, I don't know what does.

Eh, sorry, really can't bring myself to trust there won't be an executive screw-up somewhere. Good that you're enjoying things and your work, feel free to some day anonymously "forget" the script somewhere so we can read it before alterations, but otherwise I'll keep my distrust :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome to SSMB 'Van'! :)

I was wondering, will the characters be redesigned in this or will they retain their game designs?

So I gots another question... and I'm curious to know since I personally believe this information to be false, however since it got so much right I am now curious and as the writer you would know.

Is there any truth to the claim made by this article... that this movie will be dark and edgy?

http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-exclusive-sonic-the-hedgehog-gets-the-dark-knight-treatment-and-a-writer-shortlist/

Welcome aboard SSMB, Van. With someone like you writing the film, I've got some faith in this now. 

So... I read about the members talking about a executive producer/writer of the Sonic film that joined SSMB... 

Van, first off; Welcome to SSMB Van. :) Secondly; Um... will the movie be like all of the characters are CGI in Live Action locations?

I wanna know how Sonic will look. Eddie Lebron's film has told me to be wary of overly wide, always centered mouths.

Honestly though, other than Sonic's shape and face, I don't really care.

Is there any truth to the claim made by this article... that this movie will be dark and edgy?

http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-exclusive-sonic-the-hedgehog-gets-the-dark-knight-treatment-and-a-writer-shortlist/

I am definitely seconding this one.

I'm really curious to see exactly what direction this film is going. While the live action/CGI element makes me wary, I still think the film can pull it off depending on the overall feel.

Secondly; Um... will the movie be like all of the characters are CGI in Live Action locations?

Also seconding this one.

I'm hoping that we don't end up with a realistic Sonic cast, as I feel it would just look strange. We could have a realistic Sonic cast, but they wouldn't really come off as being the same characters. Their cartoony proportions and features are inherent to their design.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh wow, when I wrote that twitter post 16 hours ago I was shooting into space but I didn't think you actually sign up!

Hi Van! I'm Benjamin on Twitter (@gamerguy2002) Thank you for coming by and saying hello to us I really appreciate it.

Well, color me surprised, nice to have you aboard, Van! Hopefully the fandom doesn't chew you out too much, it's always great seeing official Sonic staff come around and share what they can with us. I don't have any particular questions at the moment, and while I'm still a little... hesitant given the talk about live action, I'll still be interested in seeing what you have to say about working on the film.

EDIT: OK, sorry, but a quick question as it occurred to me, and I'll understand if you can't answer yet: Would you be able to comment on if the movie will be its own standalone continuity (similar to how Archie and Boom are their own things within the franchise) or tied into the game canon at all?

Edited by Zaysho

Just wanted to stop by and extend the welcome. Regardless of anything to do with the film it's great that you've came by to talk to fans. It's always greatly appreciated by us all when people working on Sonic media take the time to engage a little.

I won't add another question to the already growing list (everyone's asked the good ones anyway) so I'll just say best of luck to you with the film, we're all eager to see what you're up to.

I wouldn't be surprised if this question probably can't be answered, but Stephen Frost was able to throw us a bone about Sonic Boom being shown in more depth during and after E3, so here's hoping...

Would you be able to tell us when we might be able to expect a trailer for the film? San Diego Comic Con? Sonic Boom 2014? Etc.

I understand it's likely you're not able to give that sort of info out, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try!

Van, it's really excellent to have you here. I think it's really awesome that you're taking the time to be part of our community. Know that regardless of what I end up thinking of the film when all is said and done, I greatly respect the effort you seem to be making. I'll be honest, I can't pretend I'm not still skeptical about the live action component, but know that I wish you and the team all the best in making this film.

If it's not breaking any sort of disclosure agreement, do you know if the movie will utilise the entire Sonic cast or whether the focus will just be Sonic and Eggman?

I'd say you're a brave man for interacting with the fanbase after such an announcement. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

Welcome aboard man! Hope you can find your stay here enjoyable :)

As for the Sonic movie. As long as it's dynamic and action packed with Sonic bustin stuff up, I'm happy! ;)

Just a good easy to follow plot along with some exciting action and funny moments in the middle topped all off with a bang-up finale-climax would be perfect I think. Sonic always had this heroic edge about him...this "let's get it done" attitude that could be seen even throughout the Vintage games. I think an an action-centric movie could bring that to life. Who doesn't love proactive heroes!? :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome to SSMB, Van! =D I'll be very interested in hearing and seeing more about this film and I hope you and the other people working on it can pull it off successfully. Like Ogilvie, I'm wondering when you will show a teaser poster or sneak peak. Comic Con this year, or next year?

I think fan-communication is important for Sonic- especailly taking such a drastic step. I mean, a movie!? That's huge! But it's hard to be excited after we've seen such failures and criticism. I'm glad that Van is here- he'll at least see the fact even if he doesn't acknowledge it. It's reassuring, if only a little.

Good day Van how are you doing? I hope you do a great job for the Sonic movie. I hope the story is well-thought out,lots of action,all the characters having their role in the story, and hope its epic and fun.

Make sure the final part is epic as well.

• Thumbs Up 1