Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

Let's say the film is really well-written and captures Sonic really well.

The chances of this movie being good is 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 to 1

You would have better chances winning the lottery while being stuck by lightning while drowning, while becoming president, while being eaten by sharks while being killed by a vending machine while being hit by a meteor while achieving sainthood, while having conjoined twins, while winning billions the old fashioned way at the same time.

I would expect a martian invasion much sooner.

Edit: to clarify I am not saying the movie is bad despite it not even being out yet, but the unlikelihood of this being a good movie is too large to ignore.

When you add in the terrible video game movies in the past such as Double Dragon, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, the Uwe Boll movies, The entirety of the resident evil movies (and god knows how and why there were so many of them) Street fighter: Legend of Chun Li and so many countless horrible movie adaptations of video games (with only a few guilty pleasures at best such as the Van Damme Street fighter movie and Mortal Kombat and the borderline silent hill movie)

The multiply that with the utterly terrible movies based on cartoons such as Alvin and the Chipmunks, the Smurfs, that god awful woody woodpecker film and so fourth not to mention the reputation Sonic has in the modern era you got a recipe for disaster.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

Could you still enjoy it or would that design completely turn you off?

Even beyond the design which is enough to turn me away even if this were to somehow be the single greatest piece of fiction ever crafted by mankind, there is almost next to nothing in this movie that I come to Sonic for so his personality being done right would not save this movie for me.

• Thumbs Up 3

So what are the chances well see a trailer during the SXSW panel? I mean all this stuff makes me think it's pretty likely we're getting a trailer soon and that's the biggest stage to debut it.

8 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

So what are the chances well see a trailer during the SXSW panel? I mean all this stuff makes me think it's pretty likely we're getting a trailer soon and that's the biggest stage to debut it.

I dunno if it will be that soon as the movie is not set until November at least.

This feels a little too soon to start major promotion,

I mean i can believe something like SDCC but not this soon

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I kind of hope we get one just so we can see the movie Sonic actually in the medium he was designed for. Stills and digital art is fin and all, but he was designed to be seen in motion in a live action setting and that's what I'm waiting on before finally deciding that this movie truly is 100% not for me.

1 minute ago, MadmanRB said:

I dunno if it will be that soon as the movie is not set until February at least.

I was pretty positive it was supposed to be this November at it's earliest debut. Just a mistype on your part or is it the release date for you?

3 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I kind of hope we get one just so we can see the movie Sonic actually in the medium he was designed for. Stills and digital art is fin and all, but he was designed to be seen in motion in a live action setting and that's what I'm waiting on before finally deciding that this movie truly is 100% not for me.

I was pretty positive it was supposed to be this November at it's earliest debut. Just a mistype on your part or is it the release date for you?

Yipes yeah mistype on my part, editing!

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if I would be more excited if I was 10 and still really wanted Sonic to be real.

Sort of reminds me of the old live-action Scooby Doo movies. That wasn't the easiest translation to live action either, but they were hilarious movies. Far from critically acclaimed, but still pretty great in their own right.

That said, I'll heat my hat if this thing is anywhere near as funny as the 2002 Scooby Doo movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Plasme said:

If it was really well-written, I could enjoy it, but being well-written alone isn't enough to capture Sonic really well; at least not in my opinion.  In fact, they could throw in a much better Sonic design and it still wouldn't be enough.  This is because Sonic's essence isn't about how he looks, and it isn't about what he says.  It's about what he does, and without other components from the series, Sonic can't do a lot of what makes him fun.  

I'm not in this to watch Sonic run along a normal road, with the only difference between him and a car being that Sonic is faster.  I want Sonic to traverse fantastic environments shaped like roller coasters and skate parks.  The closest we've come to any promise of that is San Francisco; it might provide enough spit in the bucket to give this film some appeal akin to what the games have.  But should we even support spit in the bucket?

• Thumbs Up 1

On the off chance that this movie is written well, it would probably at best be an ugly film with good writing.  Movies are by nature a visual medium, so I don't think how it uses said visuals should be ignored just because the writing is good.  Just like I don't think a movie with beautiful visuals should be given a pass if the writing is terrible.

Take, for example, the show Reboot.  While it hasn't aged extremely well, I can't deny that for its time the show was extremely cleverly written and very creative with its concepts.  But I could never get TOO into it, because the show looked kind of pants, even accounting for technical limitations.  It's not that I can't acknowledge its accomplishments, but that being forced to look at something unappealing does have a tangible impact on how I perceive the quality of a work. (Although I had difficulty thinking of a good example, because even this show is generally well made for its time, despite its shortcomings; so there's a lot more subjectivity for this example.)

By contrast, look at 2012's The Lorax.  Visually-speaking, I think it's one of Illumination's better works.  The colors are vibrant and immersive, the editing is extremely smooth, the acting is generally up to par.  I'm not entirely convinced on the designs of some of the characters, but it's not really a horrible looking film.  But NONE of that can save the film from its horrible writing.  It's a pretty film, but it's not a good one.

And it's not just these two factors.  Sound, editing, cast, format.  There are many factors that go into how something is presented, and a script is only as good as how it's presented.  A weak presentation makes a weak film.  But conversely, a strong presentation of a weak premise will also make a weak film.  It's not a matter of one being more important than the other, because the two are almost intrinsically linked.  Separating the writing from its visual presentation does a huge disservice to both, as the job of one is to inherently compliment the other.  Which isn't to say the two can't be separated, but usually there's a noticeable dissonance when they are.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Plasme said:

A big part of the appeal of seeing Sonic on screen is the visual side for me. How would a top of the line team of animators working with a massive hollywood budget adapt one of the strongest designs in any medium?

We still won't know the answer to that question come November. Got me fucked up.

• Thumbs Up 8

7 minutes ago, Tara said:

On the off chance that this movie is written well, it would probably at best be an ugly film with good writing.  Movies are by nature a visual medium, so I don't think how it uses said visuals should be ignored just because the writing is good.  Just like I don't think a movie with beautiful visuals should be given a pass if the writing is terrible.

Take, for example, the show Reboot.  While it hasn't aged extremely well, I can't deny that for its time the show was extremely cleverly written and very creative with its concepts.  But I could never get TOO into it, because the show looked kind of pants, even accounting for technical limitations.  It's not that I can't acknowledge its accomplishments, but that being forced to look at something unappealing does have a tangible impact on how I perceive the quality of a work. (Although I had difficulty thinking of a good example, because even this show is generally well made for its time, despite its shortcomings; so there's a lot more subjectivity for this example.)

By contrast, look at 2012's The Lorax.  Visually-speaking, I think it's one of Illumination's better works.  The colors are vibrant and immersive, the editing is extremely smooth, the acting is generally up to par.  I'm not entirely convinced on the designs of some of the characters, but it's not really a horrible looking film.  But NONE of that can save the film from its horrible writing.  It's a pretty film, but it's not a good one.

Well there is a chance of this being badly animated and badly written at the same time.

Too many times that has been done to be sure

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, MadmanRB said:

Well there is a chance of this being badly animated and badly written at the same time.

Well, I mean, that's the outcome I'm expecting.  Not just expecting, but highly anticipating.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Tara said:

Well, I mean, that's the outcome I'm expecting.  Not just expecting, but highly anticipating.

Surprisingly I am a bit more positive than that, sure one can take my snark at face value but there is a small part of me that wants this to be good.

Granted its all drowned out by years of cynicism, booze and sardonic remarks but its there.

But its best to be grounded, that way if the movie sucks I am not surprised :D

1 hour ago, MadmanRB said:

I dunno if it will be that soon as the movie is not set until November at least.

This feels a little too soon to start major promotion,

Honestly if they don't show a trailer soon I'm officially declaring that Paramount has no faith in the movie and is just sending it to die.

Frozen II(The movie kids are actually gonna want to watch over this) releases also in November and yet Disney released a 2 minute trailer last month that left the internet impressed, showing they have faith in what they're selling.

The fact that Sonic's design has yet to be shown officially is ridiculous and shows the company has already given up on it.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Surprisingly I am a bit more positive than that, sure one can take my snark at face value but there is a small part of me that wants this to be good.

Granted its all drowned out by years of cynicism, booze and sardonic remarks but its there.

But its best to be grounded, that way if the movie sucks I am not surprised :D

There's nothing I would want more right now than to be proven wrong and for this film to actually turn out to be a diamond in the rough or an underdog movie that actually turns out to be quite good despite the persistent jeering of people like me.

But I'm not holding my breath on it lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am in the firm belief we will not be shown any footage of it at SXSW.

Reason being is that due to the different rating systems worldwide they wouldn't be allowed to show it. Or they'll have to cut it so those of us watching via the livestream won't see it.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

30 minutes ago, Tara said:

Here's the really awful thing: It could be well-written and good-looking, and still, from at least our perspective, a disappointment.  This point can't be stressed enough, as it pertains not only to this movie, but to the entire Sonic series.  

Game critics and gamers in general may be satisfied with Sonic games that are good, but fans want more; they want the games to be good and still feel like Sonic should be.  That's why the boost is so divisive, because when it's in a game they lose the ability to make it challenging and fun in the way Sonic used to be.  Conversely it's also one reason Classic Sonic has gotten so popular.

Adaptations are in a similar boat; the film might manage to be entertaining, but if it's not entertaining in the way Sonic fans think it should be, so what?  Being like that might actually be even worse in a way; if a Sonic film ends up succeeding despite not being what the fans want, it could signal to the powers that be that old fans are irrelevant and it's time to move on to greener pastures--something Sega has already admitted to considering at times, such as when explaining why Sonic Forces automated so much speed.

The direction I want this series to take is not the one either this movie or Modern Sonic are taking, and at least in the movie's case most fans agree.  They might tolerate it; even enjoy it, but if given the chance to helm a Sonic movie themselves, this is not what most fans would make.

• Thumbs Up 1

Man o Man, I cannot wait to see those legs moving in motion.

That's what they were meant to do, why is it taking so long?

It makes me feel less than neutral.

It's the very last thing I care about.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Osmium said:

D0_WfvjXQAAs1X0.jpg

Oof it got worse.

...why am I getting the feeling this thing will be in motion poorly?

11 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

It's a movie about Tom with Sonic just thrown into it.

I...thought everyone already knew that.

The name of the movie is always irrelevant, especially if it's named after a character.

Sigh... So now we're ignoring what Patrick Casey said last year 

The negativity is overbearing. Any positive people out there? Myst? Alexis? Anybody else? I'm drowning out here 

• Absolutely 1

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Sigh... So now we're ignoring what Patrick Casey said last year 

Remind me again why he's earned any right to be taken seriously? 

The man insulted everyone who had a problem with the movie, then threw a tantrum and went on a mass block of anyone who pointed out the fact he was being disrespectful to people.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Mayor D said:

The man insulted everyone who had a problem with the movie,

When did he insult people?