Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

7 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Sigh... So now we're ignoring what Patrick Casey said last year 

The negativity is overbearing. Any positive people out there? Myst? Alexis? Anybody else? I'm drowning out here 

I think it's more a matter of people despairing at this point more than anything. When you've had a dream for what feels like forever of seeing Sonic on the big screen in either his classic or modern designs and then you get something that only shares the most superficial of details with none of the elements in what is known about the plot that makes them love Sonic's world in the first place it isn't really a surprise. Now once the trailer finally drops some people might change their tune, but until then this reaction doesn't surprise me coming from big enough fans to regularly visit a forum dedicated to the brand.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

When did he insult people?

He basically just dismissed any criticism of the Sonic design as being hysterical fans who needed to relax, then when it was pointed out respected industry professionals had raised some key points, he included them as being hysterical...

Then started to block everybody who said hat was being very disrespectful.

Should point out, those people who he included in his 'relax' manifesto included Yuji Naka and Naoto Oshima. 

Then claimed he only blocked people who had been abusive towards him... despite the fact... Nobody had been abusive towards him before he started his mass blocking, he just got caught out and didn't like it.

• Thumbs Up 7

I believe I saw Naoto Oshima recently saying that he'd support all Sonic's on Twitter, when asked how he feels about the movie design.

It's crazy that Yuji Naka and many others from writers to artists who has worked on Sonic over the years seen the design at the same time we did. You'd think as a team working on the movie you would want to consult these people for advice.

Tells you how much Paramount doesn't care.

• Thumbs Up 3

21 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I think it's more a matter of people despairing at this point more than anything. When you've had a dream for what feels like forever of seeing Sonic on the big screen in either his classic or modern designs and then you get something that only shares the most superficial of details with none of the elements in what is known about the plot that makes them love Sonic's world in the first place it isn't really a surprise. Now once the trailer finally drops some people might change their tune, but until then this reaction doesn't surprise me coming from big enough fans to regularly visit a forum dedicated to the brand.

It's just overwhelming and discouraging. I just want this movie to make Sonic as popular as he was in the 90s. That's all I want - for Sonic to stand toe to toe with other franchises. And there is hardly anybody to share my excitement. Not Reddit, not YT, not here, not anywhere. I just want this movie to prove everybody wrong and be great. 

26 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Remind me again why he's earned any right to be taken seriously? 

The man insulted everyone who had a problem with the movie, then threw a tantrum and went on a mass block of anyone who pointed out the fact he was being disrespectful to people.

Well, even if he did, he was the one who actually wrote the script after all. And he said it was essential and very important to everybody that Sonic was the MAIN character. Tom is the supporting character. We probably begin the movie on Sonics world from his POV

You should want the movie to be good for the sake of being good, not to prove anyone wrong.

Chances are they won't really care regardless.

• Thumbs Up 7

50 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

It's just overwhelming and discouraging. I just want this movie to make Sonic as popular as he was in the 90s. That's all I want - for Sonic to stand toe to toe with other franchises. And there is hardly anybody to share my excitement. Not Reddit, not YT, not here, not anywhere. I just want this movie to prove everybody wrong and be great.

I don't want Sonic to be popular again if the cost is his old identity. And I don't get excited about things on the mere basis of how I want them to be; expectations are far more important.

Also, get real: I don't think Sonic is the sort of thing that can get all that popular with adults, and if they really wanted the movie to be more popular with children, they should have made it fully animated.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Hey man, I get it. I love this franchise too and I want it to be popular again. But completely sacrificing what made Sonic, you know, Sonic, sacrificing his iconic look, I don't think that's worth the price of admission.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

I think it's time you (and everybody else) accept: this ain't the 90s anymore. He was popular in that era because that was exciting and cool in that era. That's not the case anymore. Anthropomorphic animals are not all the craze anymore. Whether you like it or not (and trust me, I miss that era as well), the world has moved on. Sonic will never stand toe to toe against Fortnite, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed and the likes, at least not when it comes to the games and the character. Maybe Sonic is doing pretty good in the merch department, but a Sonic game release will never, ever be a huge deal again in the mainstream.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Also, that model clearly looks instantly recognizable. There is nothing inherently bad about it

I don't get your logic of 'It's recognizable, ergo it's fine.' I could do a quick Google search and show you dozens of pictures about purposefully ugly Sonic designs which are recognizable but still ugly as hell.

9 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

There's no such thing as bad publicity when it comes to a studio

Tell that to Ghostbusters 2016.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, about that "no bad publicity" thing, Battlefield V tried going in with that mentality. Sales tanked.

How you carry yourself in the public eye is very important.

9 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Yeah, about that "no bad publicity" thing, Battlefield V tried going in with that mentality. Sales tanked.

How you carry yourself in the public eye is very important.

It's also worth talking about short-term vs long-term. Maybe this recent wave of publicity brings in new people to watch the movie, but they find the movie extremely crap, the next time they hear about Sonic, they're gonna think of the awful movie, so they'll pass on the new movie/game/whatever. Your casual audience likely won't do extra research.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I think it's time you (and everybody else) accept: this ain't the 90s anymore. He was popular in that era because that was exciting and cool in that era. That's not the case anymore. Anthropomorphic animals are not all the craze anymore. Whether you like it or not (and trust me, I miss that era as well), the world has moved on. Sonic will never stand toe to toe against Fortnite, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed and the likes, at least not when it comes to the games and the character. Maybe Sonic is doing pretty good in the merch department, but a Sonic game release will never, ever be a huge deal again in the mainstream.

Not that I have any solid arguments against that, but just an interesting thought: All of those games, and presumably "the likes", are made for more mature audiences than Sonic is.  Sonic's success used to be measured by whether it could stand toe to toe with Mario.

I don't remember anyone back in the 1990s drawing comparisons between Sonic and Mortal Kombat, Duke Nukem or Tomb Raider.  Sonic at the height of its popularity was aimed at the same age as Mario, Kirby, Zelda, etc.  The question of whether Sonic can at least regain prominence among young gamers poses the inevitable haunting question: Was Sonic only ever able to do that because of his presumed edginess?  If so, then I think Sonic is in a bad place.

4 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

All of those games, and presumably "the likes", are made for more mature audiences than Sonic is.

Some are, but what about Fortnite? Isn't that pushing to be like this kiddy/family friendly thing? And I mentioned those because those are the big franchises these days.

1 minute ago, Tarnish said:

I don't believe you. Sonic needs to be popular again, otherwise he's just a failure!

1 minute ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Was Sonic only ever able to do that because of his presumed edginess?  If so, then I think Sonic is in a bad place.

Thats probably a step to far. While a big part of his appeal was said Edginess, Sonic was a tentpole franchise back in the day. When your friends came over and you wanted to show off your Genesis, Sonic was the game you popped in. The last game in the franchise that had that kind of noticeable appeal to bystanders was probably Unleahsed... and that was 10+ years ago.

Sonic as a brand can do things CoD never could. I don't see Assasin's Creed racking up the longest running comic series records or anything like that. So I don't think its really a comparison you want to be making. Quite frankly I think Sega is more interested in making Sonic a Mickey Mouse. An Icon. Not necessarily at the foreground of whats "in" or "now" but always relevant and never a stones throw away from the public eye. They just need to get some more quality controls in place.

6 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I don't see Assasin's Creed racking up the longest running comic series records or anything like that.

I don't think companies care about comics anymore when they can make billions off of microtransactions and the like. Cheaper to make, more control over them, bigger profit.

Considering that Nintendo games still remain extremely popular to this day, enough to warrant releasing new consoles even when they weren’t doing well with the Wii U, it’s a moot issue. Given that developers keep chasing market trends, this will happen. It happened with FPS games in the mid 2010s, it’s happening now with Battle Royale games. That hasn’t stopped popular and family games appearing.

There’s honestly a pretty funny fallacy of wanting Sonic to be popular like the 90s until you remember that bar an art shift from Anime like art to more attitude driven art in the US, the Classics didn’t have to do anything other than be fun and unique platformers. Better yet, we already had the resurgence of popularity when Mania came out, got massively hyped praise and widespread appeal, to the point it became one of, if the not the best selling game in the series, and surprisingly it turns out all you have to do is make a good product that respects the brand and celebrates it instead of trying to hide it away and alter it, as if it’s humiliated by it. 

I honestly find it frankly hard to believe that this would be considered appealing to anyone, because despite the one or two conflicting reports, I’ve seen the wide majority of people say they’ve shown this to others and gotten responses of non-recognition, to people saying that isn’t right. And I can join them, because I’ve shown the design to someone who fell out of the series after Lost World, and someone who knows little to nothing about Sonic, and the first response was about how bad the design was, while the second response was about how it looks creepy and nothing like Sonic.

This is the idea of “as popular as the 90s”? People being able to tell who this is, or outright saying its wrong because they were already aware of this iconic character and how they knew what he’s supposed to look like, despite not only knowing little to nothing about the series, but not knowing much about gaming in general. That’s how bad this is to me. 

• Thumbs Up 4

18 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

I don't believe you. Sonic needs to be popular again, otherwise he's just a failure!

I think you have it backwards.  Sonic needs to stop failing if he is to stand any chance of being popular again.  Cramming all manner of side-games, adaptations and merchandise down society's throat, much of it questionable, may have worked to keep the brand soaring when its core games were actually good (back then they could even have gotten away with this movie with little detriment), but if it doesn't have those underlying games, then that overexposure just makes it annoying to people.

• Thumbs Up 7

15 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Considering that Nintendo games still remain extremely popular to this day

Yeah, but Nintendo seems to be the exception than the rule. I also think a big part of the equation is: they have consoles to sell. They HAVE to have games to push hardware sales. Now, what makes their games actually still appealing is a question definitely worth studying.

19 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

I think you're massively overblowing that, and, as Scirtch said, have it backwards.

Things like this certainly aren't doing Sonic any favors. Overexposure is a thing to consider to. Think Star Wars. Solo bombed, in part, because people are getting tired of Star Wars, especially when you go into any major retailer like Walmart or whatever and see the brand name everywhere. It's being shoved into every facet of peoples' lives, regardless of whether or not they're interested, and there's a noticeable push back.

• Thumbs Up 3

25 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

I honestly can't tell if this is a joke comment or a serious one.

7 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Yeah, but Nintendo seems to be the exception than the rule. I also think a big part of the equation is: they have consoles to sell. They HAVE to have games to push hardware sales.

You say that, but Angry Birds doesn't.  It still got really popular.  Gamers may be older on average than they were in the 1990s, but that's just because there are more older people playing games; not less younger people.  There will always be a thriving "Rated E" market; especially since plenty of adults still like many of the better games in it, too.

5 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

You say that, but Angry Birds doesn't.  It still got really popular.

Well Angry Birds was riding on the mobile game craze, so there's that.